FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

New RP Concept Questions...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: New RP Concept Questions... Reply with quote

Since the loss of the old forums, I basically lost everything related to Clarke and the old RP's. I'd like to start a new one, and I've got a few ideas... but I'm looking for something from the public. Lets stick to three main topics of discussion.

Setting/World: Do we want it to be in a fantasy world? In a modern world? In a sci-fi world? Something in between?

Setting/Players: What limitations do we want on characters? Humans only? Animals? Aliens?

Type: Do we want to have a large freeflow RP with lots of people posting and plot advanced by slight dictations of the GM, or a smaller-sized RP with a more scripted storyline and more detailed GM attention?

Mato's thoughts:

I'd like to try perhaps a Steampunk sort of setting. A 1920-30's era RP, featuring ridiculously impossible steam driven technology. Maybe include some fantastic aliens to include some interesting technology-hybrids as well as different types of playable characters.. and I think we could have a base for something fun.

Also, I'd like your thoughts on using a more/less rigid class/job system to define player combat roles in a given group. Do we even want to have combat in the first place?

Give me your delicious thoughts as they fuel the piston-powered, steam-driven dynamo that is my brain.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer fantasy or sci fi rather than modern (even modern fantasy - i don't really like playing worlds with a complex masquerade), IYSWIM, but i have no major preferences as to which of the two.

I like the sound of a steampunk world, though.

I don't go for rigid class structures, particularly not in play-by-post which is more story-driven than rule-driven, but I do definitely go for something which will have at least some combat (at the very minimum, suspenseful exploration), otherwise there's little to hold the interest to my mind, unless the GM's VERY good.

Personally, i was thinking, if i can knock a decent plot together, of starting the Star Wars universe based RP that I've wanted to do for years...
LordLegion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted to play a modern or not so distant Earth RPG. No aliens, no crazy weaponry, no magic. Just a straight up, real life (ish) campaign setting.

As for how the flow of the game should go, I am easy. I will say, though, that I really do like a lot of detail in my games, I love envisioning what is going on in the game world.

I used to think everyday I didn't wake up and gargle a few rounds from a revolver was a victory, but little "golden" moments like this make me wonder, "A victory for who?"
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive, 9-12-2002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steampunk sounds interesting, but on the other hand, I would like to see a straight-up fantasy or sci-fi setting, because we haven't had one in... well in at least year now literally. After Sparroo mentioned she had Dragons on archive I admit I felt rather nostalgic.

I think some combat situations are to be expected, as RPGs usually include a conflict of some kind that the players are engaged in. I'm not sure if I'm so keen on the idea of rigid class settings. I have no idea about size, since it's very rare that we manage to maintain a high number of players, though I do like a strong story.
Angel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Setting/World: Do we want it to be in a fantasy world? In a modern world? In a sci-fi world? Something in between?

Setting/Players: What limitations do we want on characters? Humans only? Animals? Aliens?

Type: Do we want to have a large freeflow RP with lots of people posting and plot advanced by slight dictations of the GM, or a smaller-sized RP with a more scripted storyline and more detailed GM attention?

1. I'd like it to be in a fanatsy world Smile

2. It would be nice to play humans and Animals. Aleins? Nah. Too...meh.

3. I say go for the Large freeflow. Adds some interesting things to the story line.
Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, nifty :3 Lesse... If you're not going to give me CoW, I'll be content with another Mato RPG.

Steampunk sounds AWESOME. Reminds me of that submarine we were talking about for our pirate siblings. Neat! I would be a voter for human only, possibly with mild psychicness inserted, but plain ol' humans works too.
Hmm... GM... is up to anyone else. I have no preference, they both sound fun as long as it's kept moving quickly and doesn't stagnate.
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm seeing alot of mixed stuff here. So far, alot of positives towards Fantasy, one or two sci-fi (I think I'll let space go ahead and GM his SW based RP which I would TOTALLY BE UP FOR) and not a small number goin for the steampunk rp.

I think that I'm developing a nice little steampunk world in my head, and that is gonna combine a good amount of fantasy, sci-fi, and some other stuff to make things really great! ("Really great!" is the most emphatic 1930's era exclamation I could come up with. If you can do better, then I'd like to see it. >:[ )

Anyhow, if anyone has any direct objections to even *thinking* in this line, go ahead and state your reasons below. I don't think you'll mind though, once I get this figured out. I'll post in a new thread once I'm ready to unveil things. Also: If you have any ideas, bring them here. I'd love to see anything you folks can come up with.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Chet. It was fun playing a non-human in a human world; all the limitations! Very Happy So exciting... I don't think that it should be completely up to the players, but definitely have a couple of options for us to choose from. Smile

I like non-mordern. Fantasy or steampunk is fine. Smile Combat? For sure!
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna join RPGs again - this (whatever it's going to be) sounds fun, but honestly, the only thing I'm going on is the fact that Matoto's GMing it. ^_^

Steampunk sounds cool. I'm up for a little bit of combat. Don't care about the anatomical makeup of the cast. I think a smaller cast might be easier to keep in line, less likely to sprawl all over the place and lose momentum.

IN any case, I'm going to ask for advice on creating my character for whatever we do. I'm still struggling with not making him/her TOO powerful or TOO useless. More experienced RPGers are welcome to throw me a bone or two...

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwww <3

I lurve you too Asa~

But yes. I'm working with some folks on developing the world, and I'm rapidly becoming obsessed. When I become obsessed, RP's happen. Hopefully, the forum won't up and die in an important early phase and totally kill my plot, either ><;
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds really cool, and I'd be interested. I'm not much of one for steampunk, but it could be fun, fantasy is more what I'm into though.

I also like smaller casts I think, larger ones can be more interesting, but I like the story line more when you have a smaller cast.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a sort of dystopian idea with a technological throwback. If you've read some of Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k books that's the sort of social backdrop I'm a thinkin' of. Probably because I've just read loads of his books. Wink
Or something where the powers that be have broken down a bit like in Fallout. Guess that's probably closer to steampunk. Then again that's quite fun when the powers that be are still around in some form too...

Sounds great though, colour me purple and hand me a sandwich.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem, you're so fatalistic. What's up with all the post-world-wide-disaster senarios? Not to be insulting or anything.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy answer to that one, really. They rock.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Nem, you're so fatalistic. What's up with all the post-world-wide-disaster senarios? Not to be insulting or anything.

I guess it resonates with certain romantic ideals of good and evil; heroes and monsters. As a sociologist I know no-one is really responsible for where they end up - you can't really hold a belief in free will and a belief in social influence, they're just mutually exclusive. Either you choose or you're subject to your environment and there's no in-between. But I at least remember a time when I did hold people morally responsible and even now I often talk in those terms simply because of convenience sake.

Romantically speaking I like worlds in which heroes are a possibility though and there are few if any heroes in the modern world. You can’t have a hero who goes home to his family and watches TV at the end of the day because then he stops being a hero and becomes someone watching TV while in some little corner of the world people die.

Take for example a man who saves the lives of a hundred people in some modern world setting. For sure he's done a good thing but still he can lay little claim to being a fundamentally righteous person for reason of the other things weighed against him that are part and parcel to living in a modern society.

A human in its urbanised state is a poor miserable wretch largely ignoring the suffering of its fellows. Every day we spend our resources on TVs and stereos, gas guzzling cars, all the trappings of consumer society. In preference to saving lives, helping social order and so on.
We each personally have so much power, in our lives we could save those of many others with relative ease - yet most of us don't and even those that do could generally speaking do so much more. In order to be righteous in such a world it's required that we dedicate our lives to helping others, for without that the weight of our good deeds will almost inevitably be tarnished by the weight of our decisions not to act; the people we choose not to save from death or suffering always outweigh those we do. Can any hero really say, ‘I chose not to save that person because I wanted a cup of coffee instead’? Yet that is a decision most of us make sooner or later when the number of cups of coffee we’ve had eventually adds up to the economic cost of saving a life.

Take that power away from a person, by war or even dystopian reform, strip them of their modern civilisation, and they're no longer responsible for whatever horrors befall others, it's out of their hands. Disasters let us be noble again. They remove from each and every one of us the dreadful fact of the lives we don't save. You don't have to be a saint in such a world to be a hero.

When you’re dealing with a modern world the question is generally not who is good and evil but simply who is the most evil. It's only in the face of true horror that we can rise above, that heroes, monsters and demons are actually worthy of the definition rather than simply being slight variants of each other.

---

Which isn't to say that a modern world setting can't be fun, or even that I always prefer post-world-wide-disaster scenarios. Because it can and I don't.
I'm just saying that a simpler social power system that doesn't place such moral demands on the individual is in some way romantic.

Or as Tyris says, 'they rock.' Wink
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: