FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Mecha Knights: Opening Gambit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's
Author Message
JackAce



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 673
Location: 53°04'N 8°53'E

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After he had turned down the ECM, the source of the sensor sweep made a huge blot on Jon's sensor screen. Almost immediately, two smaller dots emerged next to it, coming his way.

As he stepped out into the road again, he could see the correspondent targets with his own eyes: A mid-sized hoverlift transport with a large dome-shape on its roof silouetted against the rapidly darkening sky and two smaller scout vehicles travelling along theroad towards his position. In the fading light he could just barely make out the blue-and-red livery of Nűrande County painted of their hulls.

At first, the scout cars had their weapons trained on his location, but when they recognized the shape of a Knightly Mecha, they immediately turned their guns aside and slowed their advance.

"Pardon us, Mylord," the call came in on a Myrandrian military channel, "but we will need you to identify yourself and state your business in this area."
_________________

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyris



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 882
Location: Beneath a vast mound of curly hair

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Sir Henry is still broadcasting in the clear, he carefully phrases his reply to Davion so as to excise from the words all mention of Patroponne or its denizens:
"Doesn't matter how many there are in the palace - it's one too few."
(Should the Prince ask what he is talking about, he will cheerfully reply "Barrels of wine, your Highnessness.")
Refraining from powering up his laser just yet, the knight cranks the sensor sensitivity up to maximum and aims all directional sensors at the Cossack. When the Prince powers up his weapons, he hopes to know about it.

<Advanced Sensors active, directional components pointed at the Prince>
<ECM Suite Inactive>
<Gatling Laser "Cold">
_________________
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.
Dubbed "Tetris" by Asa... apparently.
Keeper of Nanashi's ghostly blue visage and Felucca's hypothetical ejecting nose-cone.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Spindrifter



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 227
Location: Walking through the woods on a snowy evening

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Whoops, sorry, Jack. Here you go.))

"Greetings, Nurande patrol. As my livery might state if it weren't in quite the roughened condition it is, I'm Lord Kleas. My business at present was hunching under a rock waiting for some traffic to pass by here, but as your sweep will likely make that impossible, I guess I'll have to head on to Kleas. If the escort led by Lady Voluspa comes through here, I'd recommend keeping an eye on them- Garren of Patroponne is a highly unpleasant character and there's no telling what he might do. Like cough at you or somesuch. They'll be accompanied by Sir Henry and Lady Alana, and possibly Lord Vayne. Not me, though; I'm off to Kleas." Jon began to turn his Mecha to the west for the trek to his castle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JackAce



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 673
Location: 53°04'N 8°53'E

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tool ong after sunset, the escort had reached a position well inside the borders of Nűrande as well. The Patroponnese delegation had chosen a fork in the road (not the one leading to Kleas, but one before that) for one more of their seemingly meaningless pauses.

This time they didn't speak on an open channel, but the way they had turned towards each other and occasionally gedtured with their Mecha's arms clearly indicated that they were having a discussion (this had also happened a couple of times before during the trip, so it wouldn't be too much of a surprize for the escorts).

After palavering like this for a few short while, the Prince and his companions started moving down the road which forked off to the side - the road leading to Nűrande Castle!

===============================================

"Eh... Well, yes. As you wish, Mylord." The trooper seemed a bit flustered by the cavalcade of words which Sir Jon had unleashed upon him. The two scout cars kept their position for a while longer while the Knight paced away, before they turned around to rejoin their patrol.

As he approached the fork that would take him to his home county, Sir Jon noticed a group of signals on his sensor screen ahead of him along the main road (the road back towards Calden, where the rest of the escort would be coming from). They looked like resedual heat sources, as if a bunch of vehicles or similarly large machines had been running for a while and were then switched off again.
_________________

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davion either grimaced or smiled as Patroponne's prince moved onto the wrong road. He wasn't sure himself, he had wanted to shoot them for some time now...but had not wanted to drag anybody else into it. As he rolled the volume of the open communications channel back up to normal, he focused the improved sensors in the direction Lord Jon would have taken.

"Patroponne delegation, you are off course. Please deviate from your current route and return to bearing three-twenty-five. That course will take you back to the proper road."

The targeting reticule faded into view on his viewscreen, Mercy's sensors and weapons connecting seamlessly. He toggled a switch and rose the two upper spines of the reticule until they rest squarely on one of the Blyke mecha's chest. The lower arch of the reticule, which contained four multi-colored bars, remained somewhere around their feet. If he could keep from moving Mercy's arms, he wouldn't look like he was aiming to blindfire the Devastators in a pinch.

He grew concerned, if this was a trap then Lord Jon was going to be caught in a crossfire. Silently, he cursed himself for not traveling with Lord Jon. Stupid, stupid Davion! You let your hatred blind you to proper tactics!

<All Systems Active>
<Improved Sensors aimed Jon's direction>
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alana fell back and moved off the road, shadowing the delegation from a safer distance. She’d no intention of getting caught out in the open with no cover at all if an ambush did develop out of the situation. It didn’t make sense, the delegation was proceeding in the open, could be cut to pieces in a moment by anyone with a will to it and a decent bit of hardware, the only explanation she could think of was they were intended to keep the escort close to them.

“Might want to move off the road,” across the Myrandrian military channel, “if this is what it looks like they’ll have the area around their own mecha zeroed in.”

She opened up a secure tactical channel with the other mecha in the escort and dumped her weapons' datastream into it so they could overlay it with their own sensors to see precisely what each other were aiming at as different people joined the channel and did the same. Which in Alana's case was the back of the prince's mecha.

“Aimpoint data’s up on Tac 1.” A nasty thought started playing at the back of her mind, “How’s the political sit in Nűrande; can we rely on them for airsupport and so on if this goes pear shaped or are they more likely to side with the delegation?”

<Weapons in ready state, improved sensors actively searching>
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Spindrifter



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 227
Location: Walking through the woods on a snowy evening

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon took in the new sensor contacts without comment, marking their position on his screen before dialing up his ECM. Either the escort had stopped and powered down, or someone had managed to slip themselves between Jon and the escort and was now powered down and possibly waiting for them. Either spelled trouble; Jon didn't know which was worse. Then the possibility of rebellious bordermen making their own attack on the hated Patroponne leader occurred to him, and Jon started running.

He traveled as rapidly as he could while maintaining cover and a low power signature. He angled to the west of the residual signals, hoping to find a location with an elevation advantage and the visual cover of the setting sun ((I'm assuming the sun sets in the west, anyway...)). Once he had reached a position and determined the signal source, he could radio the escort or simply draw off the welcoming committee. With any luck, though, it would simply be a Nurande delegation making sure nothing went wrong in their county, but Jon really didn't think that was it. And he was kind of glad, in a resigned way- things certainly appeared to be on the verge of wrong.

((ECM, IS active; weapons cold; running low power))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Feaelen



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 257
Location: The pink Vortex of Doom (aka Victoria, BC)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kára had turned off the send option on her comm unit as they trudged along tolerating the annoyance that was the Prince and his gang. She waited patiently as they stopped for another apparently meaningless "silent" conversation waiting to see if it would lead to anything this time.

When the Prince et al. deviated from the chosen path back to Patroponne she thumbed her encrypted comm to the Knights of the escort, "Okay people this may turn into something so be ready, but no shooting unless they start. I don't want to give King Patroponne a reason to invade to rescue his precious son, so just watch them closely. I'm going nip this issue in the bud."

Kára's mecha crouched and she simultaniously activated her jump jets as she jumped Brynhildr up and over the Prince and his compatriots.

Kára turned Brynhildr in the air so that she landed facing the Prince as he approached her new position. Kára thumbed her encrypted 'Knight' comm to silent receive and then broadcast on an open channel to the Prince and his "gang".

"Prince Patroponne please revert your course to the one that Lord Vayne just broadcast. We were ordered to escort you to the boarder of Patroponne and this will not get you there. I can understand how you could get miss directed, however now that you know the appropriate route please return to the appropriate path."

Kára stood her mecha, Brynhildr, so that it blocked the path of the Prince with her shield arm held defensively to shield off potential attacks. She also made sure to keep her weapons on standby and not targeting anyone so as to not appear to be making an overtly aggressive move, but more of a shepherd herding sheep in the right direction.

<Improved Sensor on, weapons not targeting, Jump jets ready>
_________________
---
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
Thieli WIP

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tyris



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 882
Location: Beneath a vast mound of curly hair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caballus maintains course behind the Patroponnaise delegation. Not wishing to make the first move, Sir Henry still leaves his laser cold, but he does kill the opera loop and thumb his comm over to the secure Myrandrian frequency.

<Advanced Sensors active, directional components pointed at the Prince>
<ECM Suite Inactive>
<Gatling Laser "Cold">
_________________
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.
Dubbed "Tetris" by Asa... apparently.
Keeper of Nanashi's ghostly blue visage and Felucca's hypothetical ejecting nose-cone.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
JackAce



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 673
Location: 53°04'N 8°53'E

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sensor echoes faded from Jon's screen as soon as the ECM kicked in, but that was OK; he knew where they've been. As he angled along the slope of the hill, the source of the mysterious heat emanation came into view. It was a farm complex sitting a few hundred meters off the main road. He knew he had passed that farm on his way through, but didn't get any unusual signals from it back then. The exact location on the heat sources seemed to be a large barn standing on the northern edge of the complex.

===============================================

The Prince stopped when Kára's Mecha landed in front of him. His two companions did the same and turned around to face the Knights remaining in their rear. ((This is the first time during the entire trip that they actually ackwnowledge your presence in any way.))

" 'The propper road...' I would expect that depends on where we intend to go, don't you think?"

As Prince Garran was talking, the Myrandrian Knights ((those with Improved Sensors first)) noticed two groups of sensor echoes approaching them from the directions of the road forking off here and the main road behind them. With a slight delay, a third group appeared on the main road ahead as well.

"I don't expect you to believe me, but I am genuinely sorry for what has to happen now. I was looking forward to meat each of you separately on the field of battle. But unfortunately, your Queen insisted on sending you along with us to babysit us, and so I'm afraid you all need to be silenced right now..."

With these words the Prince's centauroid Mecha reared up on its hind feet and then started gallopping forward towards Kára. The twin melee blades attached to its arms swung into position, one held low as for a stabbing attack, the other swinging high for a wild slash.

The Blyke twins reacted immediately and fired their Jump Jets. Their trajectories would take them to flanking positions on either side of the three knights that remained in the rear. At the same time, their images dissapeared from the Myrandrians' sensor screens ((to be replaced by the fuzzy outlines of ECM fields for those with Improved Sensors)). Before they even hit the ground again they started firing, peppering the area around the Myrandrians with their Gatling Lasers, accentuated by the infrequent, but much more powerful discharges of their Laser Cannons.

<Both Gemini (Blykes): ECM On>

===============================================

As Jon kept watching the farm, the sensor echoes suddenly reappeared on his screen forming five bright dots in a close formation inside the barnhouse. Moments after becoming visible, the dots started to move out into the yard, where Jon finally got to see their sources with his naked eyes. They were five medium weapon carriers, two armed with twin Laser cannons, the other three with multiple missile pods. By now it was too dark to make out their livery, but they were not broadcasting Myrandrian IFF signals.

The fighting vehicles headed down the driveway towards the man road. As far as Jon could tell, their turrets seemed to be swinging around to face in different directions, mostly up the road behind them and to the sides, as if they migh expect an attack from eother of these directions, but were unsure from where exactly.

===============================================

And for the record: It is now past sunset.

Mecha do have night vision filters. The picture these produce is black & white and slightly fuzzy, but sufficient to keep your orientation in a fight.
_________________

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.


Last edited by JackAce on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spindrifter



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 227
Location: Walking through the woods on a snowy evening

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Oh, we couldn't have mentioned they were hovercrafts, could we?!?!))

Hmmm... Jon muttered to himself, thinking as fast as he could. Somehow, a quintet of lumbering, slow, laser-packing fighting vehicles had gotten behind him. Being relatively road-bound as far as he could see ((They're on the road, after all)) Jon concluded that they had not come in from Patroponne, since they hadn't passed him on the way in. On the other hand, they couldn't possibly be friendly; an ambush was an ambush, no matter who it was for. The possibilities of rebellious elements attacking the Prince, or aiding him, were both present in Jon's mind. As he watched them roll out southward, towards Calden and the Prince's escort, Jon made his decision. He dropped his ECM and opened up his comms at maximum strength to the Kleas military frequencies.


Last edited by Spindrifter on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JackAce



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 673
Location: 53°04'N 8°53'E

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Sorry Spin, but I'll have to ask you to modify your post because...))

As soon as Jon had dropped his ECM cover, all five vehicles' weapon turrets started to turn towards him. Seconds later the shrill tone rung through his cockpit, informing him that the vehicles had secured missile locks on him. The missile carrier closest to him opened up with a massive salvo . The swarm of small missiles was accompanied by four lines of brightness as the laser carriers opened fire with their twin cannons.

<Alpha Squadron: Missile Locks on Hologram>

<Alpha 5: Missile Pod 9/18>

((And they're hoverlift vehicles and quite capable of off-road combat. But the road is still the easiest route to simply get from A to B.))
_________________

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alana flicked her ECM on and dived off the edge of the road as the Blyke twins started laying down a fire pattern. The night lit up with the discharge of directed energy blasts like a thunderstorm touching earth. Sounds carried into the cockpit across exterior microphones turned to a quarter volume. A small smirk played at the edge of Alana’s mouth.

“Amateurs, ECM on and they’re banging away like that.”

Mentally she overlaid the shape of the Blyke's mecha between the twin muzzle flashes of their gatling lasers and las cannon. Weapons swept into line on what she reasoned had to be the knee of the closest mecha. The trigger under her fingers squeezed reflexively stitching a line of incandescent destruction out from her las-cannon. Practiced hands playing the world's greatest instrument to a backdrop of gunfire and glowing death. She rolled Archer away to the right to escape the tendrils of any return fire that might have take her own muzzle flash as a target.

<ECM on>
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davion could barely contain his smile as he saw the Blykes fly off over both his shoulders, and land behind him. He didn't know, specifically, their combat style...but judging by the gatling laser fire raking the ground around him, and the sudden disappearance of their sensor contacts, they had been thinking about this situation for the better part of the trip.

First and foremost, he reached out with his pinky on both hands and touched two buttons, one on each control stick. The cockpit took on a soft blue glow, and the HUD changed to a sky blue around him. He could almost hear the reactor going to full power, but it was probably more in his mind.

"This was a tactical blunder on your part, Patroponne.." ((Open Comms still on))

He leveled his Laser Cannon before him, tapping and pressing on foot pedals to swing Mercy's legs around. Mercy moved forward and to the side slightly, chasing the Prince's mecha at first. His Laser Cannon zeroed in on the back of the centauroid, and he depressed the firing trigger on the right stick. A brilliant flash of light shone from all corners of the barrel of the weapon, and then a streak of white, purple, and blue light shot forward instantly. With luck, he would hit the Prince, but since the Prince's mecha was between Mercy and Brynhldr ((I think it is?)) he was less concerned about friendly fire.

Lord Kleas's voice crackled to life through the comms, breaking up to some degree due to the twin ECM fields from the Blykes. As he swung his left arm wide across his field of vision, and fired a couple salvos of gatling lasers into the muzzle flashes of the Blykes, he thumbed the comms toggle.

It took a few option settings, but finally he returned to the frequency Kleas was speaking on. "Lord Kleas, you are late for the party! We are actively engaged with the Patroponne delegation! I repeat, Patroponne has made it's move! Be on watch for enemy units further toward your location!"

As he tried to watch and see which of his shots found their ways home, he began thumbing the comm system toward his burst transmission settings for Alai back in Vayne, it would take him a few moments to dial that one in, however.


<Laser Cannon fired at Prince's Mecha>
<Gatling Lasers blindfired in direction of Blykes>
<Moving toward side of road at 33% throttle>
<Improved Sensors on to combat ECM>
<Full power>
((Edit to add the < >))
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Tyris



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 882
Location: Beneath a vast mound of curly hair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Henry slams on the ECM jammer as Caballus breaks left and loops around at full gallop. He warms up the Gatling laser and seeks visual contact with the group of targets that had previously been behind him.

<Advanced Sensors active>
<ECM Suite active>
<Gatling Laser "Hot">
_________________
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.
Dubbed "Tetris" by Asa... apparently.
Keeper of Nanashi's ghostly blue visage and Felucca's hypothetical ejecting nose-cone.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Elveron phpBB theme/template by Ulf Frisk and Michael Schaeffer
Copyright © Ulf Frisk, Michael Schaeffer 2004


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group