FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Robin Hobb!

Violabelle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Robin Hobb! Reply with quote

I remember in the old forum we had a thread that touched on some of Robin Hobb's books. I read the Assassin's Apprentice trilogy back in middle school and really liked it, but I hadn't read anything else. If I remember correctly, Tin really liked the Liveship trilogy set in the same world, and on the strength of his recommendation, I bought the first book. But I never got around to reading it until this month.

OMG, the Liveship trilogy is SO GOOD. It's like she took everything awesome about the first trilogy and threw away all the boring, depressing stuff. I'm in the middle of the second book, Mad Ship, and I'm just devouring it. Pirates, talking ships, dragons, love triangles... I'm not usually a big fantasy buff, but Robin Hobb is just an amazing writer.

So, any other fans out there? I don't want to hear any spoilers! But maybe someone knows if the Fool's trilogy is good, too?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fools is excellent, and a real must-read to tie up some of the plot threads left over from assassins and Liveships, too...

The newer Soldier Son trilogy isn't quite up to the same standard, but it worth reading.

Robin Hobb's a personal favourite author. I'm just slightly narked I left my entire Hobb collection apart from Soldier Son with my sister. I wanna read them again >.<
unimportant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for books to read. Do you think I should pick these up? And which trilogy to start with? Help, I have nothing to read right now and no job because of the economy (that's my excuse and I'm sticking by it!)!
Violabelle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes yes. Start with The Assassin's Apprentice and go from there.

My other favorite fantasy author is Jacqueline Carey, and I highly recommend Kushiel's Dart if you're looking for something to read. It's one of my favorite books.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo, glad you finally got to that, Vi. The Liveship Traders trilogy is absolutely fantastic work. I remain impressed. The fool's trilogy is good, I liked it a lot. It wasn't as hugely transcendently good as the Liveship Traders, but then it's kind of hard to top a masterpiece like Liveship Traders.

And I'm with Space -- the Soldier Son trilogy (her latest) just isn't up to the same standard. Far too much "Woe is me, I'm fat" in the second one especially. It got a little more interesting at the end of the third one. But I was annoyed that it took the protagonist essentially three whole books to extract his head from his posterior.

Speaking of which, I think I'll go re-read the Liveship Traders trilogy. ^_^
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read all of the Assassin trilogy (a friend kindly lent them to me), but I still have to read the third part of the Fool trilogy. D:

I'm two thirds through Soldier's Son, which is alright, but I feel like there's a lot more that could be done with the world setting and the politics which she did go into in earlier cycles, but appears to get neglected in this one. And the whole "WAAH Magic has made me fat thing" completely bamboozled me as well. I'll try and track down Liveship when I get home however. Very Happy

I know she's written more books under a different psuedonym - have any forumites read them, and if so, are they any good?

Slightly off-topic, but shall I open up a new thread for book discussion in general?
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other pseudonym of hers is Megan Lindholm. I read the first book she published -- "Harpy's Flight" -- and it was lousy. Gypsy-girl-with-magical-talents-must-avenge-her-family's-slaughter, ho hum. The plot and characterizations were completely stock, and not very well executed. That was printed in the early '80s. It gives me faith in all the other lousy first time writers out there to know that someone can write something so completely mediocre at first go and still go on to produce something so drop-dead amazing as the Liveship Traders books.

I swapped emails with her once a few years ago, and had the temerity to tell her that the Assassin trilogy was obviously a dress rehearsal for the Liveship Traders trilogy, since the latter was so very much better. That's when she pointed out that she'd been writing for a decade or more before she started the Assassin books. I hadn't known that before, and so after I read Harpy's Flight I was thoroughly embarrassed. Oy! What an uppity little so-and-so I was. Anyway, the correspondence didn't proceed any further than that, beyond a note she sent me telling me to get a better office chair. I had mentioned my discomfort typing, and apparently she suffers from carpal tunnel syndrome and is a vigorous advocate of healthier typing posture.
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE Robin Hobb. But I can never find her in libraries and due to my poor student finances I can't afford to buy them (must get job)

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: