FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Mecha Knights OOC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be 'mecha stables' or garages/bays?
- Issa
JackAce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the medieval style of the setting, "stable" sounds fine.

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
Tyris wrote:
bowing*

*Or possibly saluting? What does the military of Myrandria use?

In the field saluting might be acceptable, but at court bowing is definitely the correct choice.
Edit'd.

JackAce wrote:
Tyris wrote:
Yes, Sir Henry thinks, what were you thinking?

I had numerous ideas how Ayneira might have gone about this whole affair in a more diplomatic fashion, but they would all have caused the text to become even longer than it is now.

Also, the Queen is a very proud and stubborn young woman, so while she might have been more courteous in her choice of words, she would never have been any more friendly towards Prince Garran.
Yeah, the following sentence pretty much acknowledged that... Razz

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
JackAce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spindrifter wrote:
Garran was a dandy and would be a miserable leader...

Actually, the problem is that Garran would probably urn out to be a tyrannical despot.

And in the united realm that Myrandria and Patroponne would basically become upon Garran's ascension to his country's throne, all the financial and political power would likely be concentrated in Patroponne, while Myrandria would be reduced to an agricultural province.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davion has, like any character, took an incredible twist from the person I designed. Instead of melancholy and emo-ish, he's become...something much more sinister beneath the surface.

I suspect this has much to do with just having read "Ender's Game", actually.

So, to update my character profile a bit with personality quirks I'm picking up on:

Isolationist, Appearance-oriented, Strict Commander (though relies on friends in private settings). And...something of a warmonger.

Oh, I do think I'm going to enjoy playing this game... ::grins::

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, do tell, Jack: how exactly is a tyrannical despot anything but a miserable leader, particularly to Lord Jon's sensibilities?

That's what I thought.

Very Happy
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of C3I system isn't really outside of our capabilities now if you wanted to do it for some reason, so as technology has advanced considerably from current day I didn't think it taking any real liberties with the world to describe such a thing. I suspect to an extent each mecha's control mechanisms are as unique as the vehicles themselves, customised to the pilot in question?
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, Mercy is not a fully functional AI. Mercy has certain coded responses to audio input. That is to say, he is slaved to Davion's (and a few others) voice commands. This can be all manually overridden, given the right sequence of manual input, but was mostly designed to allow slightly autonomous control of non-essential systems. One of these systems, which gave Davion great pleasure designing the sequence for, was initial boot-up and communications.

Mercy has fairly limited ability outside of these functions. Essentially, a voice to talk to in response to certain normally given commands. Mercy can also give input, such as telling Davion there are new sensor contacts, their number, and their range.

Unless Lope clears full-blown AI, I'm going to veer heavily away from it. I've studied the theories on Artificial Intelligence, even those people who are currently making those theories reality. In truth, I don't know that we will ever achieve the sort of AI we see on sci-fi (or like Mercy would be, if I could believably make it so). On the other hand, I could even program my home desktop to read me the weather, time, and respond to my voice inputs for certain tasks Wink

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem and Tenshi: Both of your descriptions for your Mecha's computers systems look OK to me. After all, advanced computer systems were among the technological ameneties I mentioned in the initial description of the setting.

Tenshi: I think you overestimate the size of these Mecha a bit (or rather, a lot!). They're supposed to be between 15 and 20 feet tall. About half of that height would be the torso. So a cockpit built to accomodate a 6' person would not be located "in the lower abdomen" - it would occupy most of the entire torso. And the armor plating for a Mecha with two layers of ablative armor (like yours) might extend to a full foot, but not to several feet.

This scale issue is not of much importance right now, but it may become important later, when the Mecha's size in relation to buildings, trees and other terrain features becomes tactically interesting.

JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feaelen wrote:
[[OOC: is this a miss spell or soemthing? "...turned to fae her friend and bodyguard" otherwise i'm not sure how fae fits into that sentence.?]

Yes, it's a typo. It's supposed to say "...turned to face her friend and bodyguard." It's now corrected.

Gee, my typing is getting sloppy as of late ... gotta watch out, there. Confused

Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will adjust both my perception and future posts to reflect this, my apologies.

Let's just say the entrance is...er, the front of the torso, with the lower hatch folding out to make a platform he can stand on. Lower abdomen, right? Right.

Any word on the AI, or just play it like it is now and you'll decide for sure later?

Red Skelton
Feaelen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll post a repy tomorrow, have been trying for a while and can't quite get it to work Razz

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
Any word on the AI, or just play it like it is now and you'll decide for sure later?

You mean, appart from this:
JackAce wrote:
Nem and Tenshi: Both of your descriptions for your Mecha's computers systems look OK to me.

I'd say there's no true AI in this setting, but the processing speed and decision-making capability of high-end computer systems (like those found in Mecha) are so great that it's really hard to tell the difference.

Nem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always interesting for programmers to try and come up with a ‘true’ AI when we can't even agree on what exactly it would be.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, I would assume an Artificial Intelligence to be a self-contained intelligence that could receive new information, process and adapt itself and it's previous knowledge to said new information. Also, the intelligence should be capable of making judgments about new situations (never before experienced) based on previous, similar situations. The intelligence also must be self aware to be truly "alive", and generally it is agreed that a sense of emotion of some sort must be present as well.

All told, the type of coding required to do all that is very likely beyond our limited scope of "1 or 0". I've heard theories about quantum computing being used to make it more likely, but since those are hypothetical technologies it's really like saying "If we had a working AI, we could build a working AI!"

Anyhow, that was off topic-ish. I'll kind of assume that Mercy is mostly pre-programmed, though has the sentience of (roughly) a loyal dog. It isn't capable of piloting itself, but it can probably send out a distress signal if necessary. Also, if given orders to self-destruct upon Davion's death, it would be conflicted over the order and may hesitate... That's what I'm thinking. A thinking, feeling war machine, less intelligent than it's master but no less alive than he. In that same manner, how does the pilot cope with that knowledge, and force the mecha into battle?

Indeed, I do love me some character suffering.

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: