FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Mecha Knights: Opening Gambit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's
Author Message
Feaelen



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 257
Location: The pink Vortex of Doom (aka Victoria, BC)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kára nodded to Ayneira, "I'll keep that in mind." smiled and then turned away.

She walked out of the meeting room and hurried out to the stable as she was already in her Mech operators suit.

Kára arrived at the stable and noted that all the players were there. The Prince and his escort were already in their Mecha's as were the rest of the escort.

She walked up to Brynhildr and hopped up into the cockpit. As she settled into her seat and began activating and checking all systems she also scrolled through her orders.

Kára downloaded them into her Mech's comm relay system and encrypted the tail end of the order regarding the order to retreat in case of any armed movement prior to the arrival of vast majority of their forces with the Queen. [[OOC: it's additional royal encryption you won't have the key until Kára sends it to you]

As the Brynhildr's systems continued to boot, Kara thumbed on the encrypted comm link and spoke to her fellow Knights (the signal isn't being sent to the Prince et al.).

"Listen up people. From here on out the Queen has put me in command of the Country's defenses. I'll be accompanying the Escort of the Prince and then managing the border defence until the Queen arrives with reinforcements. Any actions need to be cleared through me before exicution. The Queen has left me with specific instructions as to how the defense of our Nations should proceed. I've attached the file with the Official orders. Don't worry about the encryption, I'll send you the key when you require that information. Any questions before we move out?"

As she waited for comments/objections Kára finished off her check of the systems. All lights were green, she activated all systems except the EMC suit (as it wasn't needed at this time) and stood Brynhildr up.
_________________
---
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
Thieli WIP

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davion quirked an dark eyebrow, noting that his comms system now held data he was not capable of unlocking. Such things were not unexpected, given the situation, but he still found himself frustrated by the lack of control. It was with every voice of reason and cooperation that he responded to Kára's query.

"Lady Kára, I was planning on bringing Mercy along with the main group. I may hang a bit back and to the east, closer to Vayne, but should be just outside of normal sensor range. I will still have you on Mercy's sensors, providing nobody engages their ECM."

He waited for her to accept, or at least hear his plan. After she had time to digest the information, he tapped a few keys on the console and sent a simple infra-red query to her mecha from his, asking for a close-range, privately encrypted channel between just the two.

Discussing troop placements and movements of his fiefdom with his fellow knights was something he was more than willing to do. For now, however, Kára had been placed as General, and their decisions would not be democratic. She alone would hear the information, and act or not act accordingly.

As the other mecha came to life, Mercy sat idle in the stall. He would be last to leave the stables, not for any other reason than he preferred to have the energy reserves topped off completely. Long-term campaigns were something he had come to know in his career alarmingly well, and every ounce of power was not to be wasted, but treasured.

((Kára, er...Fea, expect a PM with his private chatter))
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Spindrifter



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 227
Location: Walking through the woods on a snowy evening

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon strode out of the stable in the belly of several tons of moving metal. He immediately headed onto the quickest path out of Calden City. He cleared the city limits and began moving faster, hoping to put a few more miles behind him. As soon as he left the city he activated his countermeasures and became a flitting ghostly blur on sensors. His own sensors stretched to their limits, he immediately caught the edges of Kara's transmission despite his countermeasure static.

"...people. From ... the Queen has put me in command ...defenses. I'll be ... -panying the Escort of the Prince ... border defence-" Jon located the frequency she was using and dialed back his countermeasures. Kara came through clearer. "-arrives with reinforcements. Any actions need to be cleared through me before execution. The Queen ... specific instructions as to how the defense of our Nations should proceed. I've attached ... with the Official orders. Don't worry about the encryption, ... send you the key when you require that information. Any ques- ... we move out?"

"I copy, Lady Voluspa," Jon replied. "I've moved out ahead of the escort and will be running ahead of you. I'll drop back to join you if I meet anything unusual. And I'll have to get that file from you later, perhaps as your escort passes by Kleas; I'm out too far and under ECM blanket and can't ensure the reception. Hologram out." Jon checked his speed and lowered his jamming just enough to see the emerging signals from the Calden stables, then pushed on into the countryside.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There's something we're not being told," Alana kept the coms off voicing her concerns to the confines of the cockpit. "And whether its because we can't be trusted to follow the queen's orders knowing it or whether it's because if we knew it we wouldn't follow Kára's orders over those of the queen... even if it's the former what if Kára gets herself taken out before she could transmit the key; or we get seperated? Too much that could go wrong. And what if there's something up with the file itself? I don't know what's in it."

She moved the datapacket into a firewalled section of the computer seperate from the main systems as a precaution against any viruses before thumbing the coms back on.

"No questions here, all systems are green and ready to move out. Copy your last, Davion; even a pet will bite you if you're not watching it."
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could not help himself but to grin at Alana's reply. The idea of the Patroponne gentry as pets was more than amusing, it was hilarious.

"Lady Alana, if you can make one of the Blykes look as pets upon your leash, I will personally furnish a banquet in your honor."

Mercy was the last to leave, pulling free of the scaffolding and the fuel lines as soon as they were disconnected. Most of the Mercy's systems above and beyond normal operation were still shut down, conserving little enough energy on their own that it was barely noticeable.

You're being paranoid, Davy. He brushed at the air in annoyance. He knew there was nobody speaking to him through the comm, because the icon hadn't flashed or changed at all. That left only his own personal demons.

You're surrounded by Knights, each of them more than capable of defeating an army on their own. You aren't going to be waging a one-man war.

"I have been in similar situations," he mumbled to nobody. "The fact that we are not being trusted with all the information leads rise to caution. If we cannot be trusted, we cannot be trusting..." He paused, and thought, then growled. "Why am I wasting my time speaking to an apparition! Be gone!"

The air around him was silent, and he found himself content with his freshly won peace. Mercy's steps as it exited the stable were calm, a soothing rocking motion that some said mimicked a mother's cradling arms. To Davion, the motion was a familiar sign of strength at his fingertips. In every direction, just out of the corner of the viewscreens, he could see bristling weapons. On the furthest edges of either side screen, he could make out the barrel of his laser cannon and the gatling laser. Above those, he could barely make out the nose cones on either side for the Devastators mounted in Mercy's shoulders.

He settled down into his seat, calming his breathing to a slow and steady pace that matched the footsteps. As they marched, he listened to his pulse steady and slow. The oxygen scrubbers inside the mecha slowed just minutely, responding to his change in vitals.

Every ounce of power. None wasted, none lost.
"That's right. None lost..."
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Feaelen



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 257
Location: The pink Vortex of Doom (aka Victoria, BC)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((ooc guys, you can read some of the order ie the putting Kára in charge part, just not the tail end of it, ie the when attacked we retreat part))

Kára nodded as she replied to Davion, "Lord Davion we're glad to have you join the escort even if you do stay a little back and to the East."

Kára looked down as her consol queried her re opening a private encrypted channel with Lord Davion, she quirked an eyebrow but allowed the channel to open as she thumbed the Knight wide communication into receive only so that the others wouldn't hear what she and Davion discussed.

Kára conversed with Davion over the private comm before thumbing it to hold and reopening the Knight wide channel to converse with the others again. ((Tenshi expect a PM soon))

"Copy that Lord Kleas, happy hunting."

"Glad you're with us Lady Alana."

To everyone, "Lets get a move on."

Kára thumbed on a comm line to the Prince and his cohort "Prince Garran please prepare to leave your escort is waiting."
_________________
---
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
Thieli WIP

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JackAce



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 673
Location: 53°04'N 8°53'E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kára's announcement did not seem to have any effect on the Prince. If anything it would seem like he delayed his departure for an additional couple of minutes.

When the Patroponnese delegation did finally choose to get moving, they strode out of the stable doors, across the castle's courtyard and out into the streets of Calden Town with utter disregard for any attempt from the escorts to keep any semblance of a formation.

Once they had left the city, the Prince and his bodyguards slackened their pace a bit, apparently they were in no hurry to get out of Myrandria. After a while (just out of view of Calden Town) one of the virtually identical bodyguard Mecha slowed to a halt and started to look from side to side. The other Patroponnese likewise stopped a few paces later and turned towards their hesitant comrade.

"What is it, Lady Silva?" the Prince's voice came over the radio ((on an open channel, so everyone present could listen in)).

"Nothing, really, my Prince," the female Blyke answered, "It's just ... Somehow I find this country terribly depressing. Just look around! Nothing but cows and cabbage fields as far as the eye can see! I'll be right glad when I'm home again, standing on the shore, breathing the clear sea air..."

"Yeah, me too sister!" the other bodyguard agreed, "I wonder how people can live in a place like this. I'd probalby go dumb in the head after a month!"

"I guess they do, too," Silva replied, "have you taken a look at some of those peons at the castle? They might as well have cabbages for brains!"

This triggered a round of laughter from the three Patroponnese Knights.

"Well," the Prince spoke up for the first time in this conversation had started "if you find this land so despicable, I suggest we get out of here as quickly as possible."

"With pleasure, my Prince" both Blykes answered in unison, and all three of them started moving again, now at a considerably quicker pace...

===============================================

These three will continue like this for the rest of the trip: Alternating their pace, pausing for no apparent reason, and making degoratory remarks about Myrandria's countryside, as well as the mental capabilities and questionable mating habits of its population.

===============================================

After a few hours of marching ahead, Count Kleas will reach a major Y-crossing in the road. ((Assuming he is actually following the road, even if he might not be moving on the road all the time.))

Following the left-hand path for about 40 miles will take him to the border of Kleas County, and after another 15 miles to Kleas Castle.

The right-hand Path will reach the Patroponnese border after about 80 miles. That's the way the Prince and his escort are bound to take.
_________________

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyris



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 883
Location: Beneath a vast mound of curly hair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a missile, Sir Henry thinks as the Patroponnaise chatter floats over his comm. Just a little missile, just enough to destroy their vocal chords forever. I'm sure nobody would mind.
Not having a missile, however - or, indeed, more than idle inclination to use it if he did - he reacts in a less violent and less tracable way. Ensuring his own comm system is not broadcasting, he makes a recording of himself singing Falfalel's Wandering Vagabond in G Minor in a terrible falsetto that bears only the vaguest resemblance to his normal speaking voice. Looping the recording, with volume fading in and out inconsistently, he sets it to playing and turns the comm system back on.
_________________
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.
Dubbed "Tetris" by Asa... apparently.
Keeper of Nanashi's ghostly blue visage and Felucca's hypothetical ejecting nose-cone.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercy had started their march well away from the main group, just outside of sensor range as he had previously indicated to Kára. However, as the Patroponnese continued to berate the countryside and population as they went, it became clear that Davion was drifting back toward the group.

He was still outside of short range weapons, however the main Laser Cannon would probably be effective at his current range. His pace slowed to a quarter of full when the Patroponnese would stall their march, and each time they did he grew closer to them... also having positioned himself directly to the south (rear) of the formation. He would, most likely, not even reach secondary weapons range by the time they reached the border...

Davion remained completely silent over open communications, and indeed there was absolutely no indication that he was even receiving (or at least, responding) to the insults..

On the other hand, they had yet to reach the area near Vayne, and anyone who knew much about the Blykes would know that Vayne and Blyke were...not exactly friendly.
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Spindrifter



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 227
Location: Walking through the woods on a snowy evening

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he reached the road to County Kleas, Jon kept his course toward Patroponne for a few more minutes, looking around for a suitable position. He found one within a few miles: a large rocky covert covered over by a sheet of solar panels. Taking advantage of his Mecha's short stature, he hunkered down beneath it and deactivated most of his systems, leaving only his ECM, sensors and comms package online. Monitoring passively, he hoped to wait until the escort passed by before breaking off back to Kleas. Provided that they seemed to be doing fine, (and that the escort had managed not to shoot the miserable lordling and both his guards out of sheer frustration) he'd simply remain in position until they all passed by. All things going well, he hoped to be back in his own keep by nightfall, to begin preparing for the inevitable defense of the border, county, and realm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JackAce



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 673
Location: 53°04'N 8°53'E

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the Patroponnese's antics, it's going to take considerably longer than the anticipated 30 minutes for them to reach Jon's hiding position.

In the meantime, Jon sensors will pick up a strong signal from somewhere north of his position. Someone is doing sensor sweeps of the area - probably Nűrande forces doing a routine patrol. Their sensor is pretty strong, so there's a good chance they might notice Jon's ECM distortion, and an ECM cover in the middle of a field of solar panels is bound to make them kinda suspicious.

Also, the sun is moving towards the western horizon. It will be night before the Prince and escorts reach Jon.
_________________

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alana reflexively flicked the safeties off her weapons as the Patroponnese delegation came to a halt. There wasn’t anything around them that should be a threat to an armoured column. Lines swept up to bracket Lady Silvina’s mecha, sensors stabbed out across the surrounding countryside, Alana passed her eyes over the other escort and the prince marking them as secondary and tertiary targets to the computer. She took up the slack in the triggers and waited for the Patroponnese to make their move. A small snort of disgust escaped her as the delegation started trading insults on the open channel. Letting up the slack again she left the safeties off and the sensors in active mode as the trip continued, all the random stopping might just be horseplay, alternately the delegation might be waiting for something. This was all taking much longer than it should, not helped by the dreadful singing that was now issuing over the general access channel.

“Jon,” Alana transmitted on the group’s channel, “to advise you the delegation’s being a bit skittish back here, we look to be delayed getting to your position.”

<Weapons in ready state, improved sensors actively searching>
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Feaelen



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 257
Location: The pink Vortex of Doom (aka Victoria, BC)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kára shook her head at the dumb antics of the Prince and his gang. They couldn't possibly think that they could goad their escort into action. She turned the general channel down low and scanned the area with her improved sensors. Curious as to where Davion had gotten to. Kára had noticed him getting closer as the idiocy of the escorted continued.

Kára opened the encrypted channel that Davion and she had conversed over earlier and sent him a message. As she continued to scan the area, something was up and honestly she didn't like not knowing what "it" was.
_________________
---
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
Thieli WIP

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercy rode slowly closer the group, though now directly astride so as to give himself a clear line to the Patroponne border. He had all but muted open comms, and was paying more attention to the tiny icons in the corner of the screen flashing one by one. Each time one would flash, he would imagine the voice attached to it, and so had come to recognize each as an aspect of that person.

When Kára's private channel flashed open, and she spoke from a face he could recognize, he almost winced. Struggling to maintain control of his features, he thumbed a response to her message in machine code and exhaled. He didn't bother to close the channel, as her curiosity was probably not satisfied by his simple reply. That was fine, Let her watch, if she likes. he thought.

The prince and escort slowed again, and Davion was visually vexed by this. His hands twisted on the grips of the control sticks, and his thumbs twitched toward the firing pins...before relaxing. His entire body relaxed again, and his breathing regulated as he drew Mercy back into a slower pace. Again he would gain on them, and again he would grow closer (but not by too much).

He was very sure that the Blykes were well aware that they had every weapon in his arsenal aimed at their collective heads. Of course, that was probably their ploy in the end. He vowed, against his temperament and vast feud with the Blykes from Vayne's border, that he would see the Patroponne dogs safely to the border.

With a twisted sort of smile, he thumbed the Myrandria-exclusive channel open again. "I do not suppose it would be wise to ask them if they would kindly cease admiring lands they shall never possess...and return to their own dumb, backwater, unwashed, uneducated, inbred yokels? I hear they have quite a few said yokels in the Duke's palace, in fact.."

As he finished, he glanced down at his sensor display. As of yet, nothing of interesting made itself clear to him. He checked the distance to their navigation point with a heavy sigh, now free of all but Kára's communication again. Privately, to Kára, he spoke again.

"I suppose it would be bad form to shoot their mecha in the arse to speed them up, but it is incredibly tempting."

<Weapons Hot, Advanced Sensors>
<Now approaching formation with main escort group>
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Spindrifter



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 227
Location: Walking through the woods on a snowy evening

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon muttered under his breath. Too much to hope that they wouldn't notice him in his ersatz cover; they were supposed to be looking for unexpected arrivals, and he certainly counted. Best to go out and greet them, then, before they found him crouched like a six meter multi-ton clumsy metal ninja under a rock.

Jon powered up all his systems but weapons and dialed back his ECM. Fortunate that he did so: he began to catch traces of the delegation's chatter on his comms and realized they had been considerably delayed, likely by the subjects they were escorting... Jon observed that it was such chatter that might have invited the sensor sweeps on his area. Even so, he stretched up to his full metallic height, short though it was for most mecha, and started off in the direction of the sensor sweep, planning to announce himself and maybe win the escort some grace and a less hostile passage than it sounded like the Patroponne leader was hoping for.

He kept his jump jets hot in case the sensors represented exactly what the Patroponne dirtbag was hoping for.

((ECM low or off, sensors @max, jets hot, weapons cold))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Elveron phpBB theme/template by Ulf Frisk and Michael Schaeffer
Copyright © Ulf Frisk, Michael Schaeffer 2004


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group