FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Band Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never.. wait I have been... In elementary as minor part. Does that count? lol

I play harp up until it got too expensive to rent. A decent harp can be several thousand to own. x_x Unless I get lap harp or beg my uncle to give me his for free. XD
Storm

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fife and drum counts. And Virturealm, I've done marching bells in the past. God that dinky harness was painful. They were flat like quads, and the harness was too small.

Miho's Young Padawan

Dubbed "Poodle" by Asa and "Teh Stormy Poodle" by Ponce
horsin'around

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*squeals* Ooh! Fife and drum corps ROCK! I was a fife player and my twin was drum. Other than the cool uniform, the music was amazing. *dies of love* I haven't played in years! *runs upstairs to find her musty old fife*

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Lani

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bells. Gah, I hate the bells. I hafta play them for pep band at school, but I pawn them off on others for symphonic band and symphony. lol. I also am the only person in my school that has the guts to play them loud enough, so bell solos-- yep. Me. Which I guess isn't that bad, if I get to use the nice bells. We have two sets, and the one is like comparing a Wurlitzer to a Steinway. Which isn't much comparison at all.

The new favorite? Castanets. We played this dinky piece called "Girl in Satin" in Symphony-- just something we could sight-read and put on for the Convocation prelude, but I thought it was beautiful. And the castanet rhythms were the most complicated ones in the piece. Yay for being the single most noisy thing in the orchestra in front of 10,000 ppl.

I now posses a Bachelor of Science in secondary education. I am excited.
cvcdaisy3

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in a band, but I'm going to HS next year, which has one. I could audition, but... There are so many clubs, I don't know which one to do. There is a science & math one, does competition in Robotics, Biomodels, one of the best teams in the state... There's also Speech and Debate, which my elder sister wants me to join...

Back on topic, I've played clarinet since second grade (7 years old at the time, I couldn't start at 6, I had just moved to the US and didn't know English) I love the instrument, and the school band is OK (not as good as the orchestra, though) but I really don't know which to choose. I can also play other basic wind instruments such as the recorder and penny-whistle.
Storm

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! And do the robotics team, too, if you can... I was on 972 this year. Any tips, ask any FIRSTie here.

So, I finally convinced my band director to let me perform a solo marimba piece, double mallet, that I wrote, for the last concert this year. I might be able to get a video or at least a recording of it... Anyone else got recordings?

Miho's Young Padawan

Lani

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a chance to listen to the differences in the music between the orchestra and band, Daisy, you might be able to see which one you like better. From what I've noticed, clarinets get more solos in band while they play more supporting roles in orchestra. Typically, of course.

Also, orchestras seem to play more classical music, while bands play more contemporary music. Sometimes, that means marches for the band or more upbeat, rhythmic pieces. Depends on preference, too. Also, bands are louder. Much louder. And the quality largely depends on the trumpets, who like to blast it.

I would definitely recommend listening to the music and decide which one you like more. Smile

I now posses a Bachelor of Science in secondary education. I am excited.
Storm

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Lani's statement that orchestras play more classical music, here's hte playbill for my end of the year concert:
Concerto Gross on C Major (yeah, I know it's classical)
Sweet Dreams are Made of This
Carry on, Wayward Son
Waltz of the Wicked (NOT from the musical, it's an uncommon piece)
Hoe Down - Rodeo
and I'm on cello for a quartet playing Fandango from Six Dances.

Orchestras do play classical, but in my area they have a wider range of musical variety than the concert bands.

Miho's Young Padawan

RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning= Geek.

I play the clarinet and am currently learning the bassoon. I'm in my school's Wind Ensemble and t'was there that I was introduced to the pieces I massively heart.

1-Symphony #5 Finale (shostakovich)
2-In the Brain of the Moon (dunno)

Oh, hey, does anyone know where I can find a download of the In the Brain of the Moon trilogy?
'I want you, bleeders......'
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: