FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

TREASURE HUNTERS: OOC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: TREASURE HUNTERS: OOC Reply with quote

The World:

The world of Hath is a world of magic; it has several continents. Our story will begin on the continent of Serge; it's a large continent, home to several regions.

To the far south is a cold forest; most months, it is snowing or too cold to produce food, though there are many evergreen trees. The northern parts of this region has a more temperate climate, where food is grown and transported further south in exchange for lumber and furs. There are many tribes in the south that form a loose confederation against the nations to the north. Most tribes center around hot springs that the south is famous for. Like most of Serge, there are a number of odd magical creatures roaming around that may have been domesticated. The most well-known are the giant penguins of the south. They first came from frozen icebergs from the antarctic and have since been domesticated by the southern tribes and are used as steeds.

To the east is a varied land; to the far east are warm coastal regions. Moving further in are plains, then more temperate forests to the southern borders of this region. The plains turn into desert the closer they approach the northwestern mountains. Most of the continent's major cities are located on the coast; the nations to the east are the most wealthy, being a center of trade. Cities nearer closer to the plains are more agricultural, abundant in food. Towards the southern forests, population is less dense, fading into the southern tribes. There are few major cities in the desert, all of which center around rivers coming out of the mountains. Their main exports are ore and other mined material. Unlike the southern and northwestern region, all of the eastern region is united into one nation whose capital rests at Lisaia. It is currently a constitutional monarchy; the monarch is always a Magician. The current monarch is Aolus, the Storm King.

To the northwest, beyond the mountains, are the tropics outright; tropical rainforests cover this side of the mountains, and a wide variety of animal and vegetative diversity is found. Further northwest are the people of this region; they mostly reside in small villages that band together when facing danger. The infrastructure of this region is impeccable; they have enchanted paths that keep out danger. The eastern region has begun borrowing these enchanted paths, which has helped their population boom.

The flora of this land lends itself very well to travelers. Clothes in the eastern and northwestern regions grow on clothes vines; because of the lack of clothes vines in the south due to the cold, their attire is generally fur made from the animals they hunt. Clothes vines are cultivated mostly in temperate regions; the warmer regions generally dehydrate the plants, creating more revealing clothes befitting the environment. Shoes are also grown on bushes; these bushes are hardy and have many sub-species, including lady-slipper bushes, boot bushes, sandal shrubs etc. Shoe bushes grow everywhere, even in the southen tundras. Wild varieties generally need to be broken in while cultivated bushes are more comfortable but don't last as long.

Many other plants provide basic amenities, like kitchen utensils and cookware, and much food is provided, like bread and pasta. However, these things are also made in mundane ways (grinding up wheat to make flour, metal hammered out to make pots and pans, etc) where these plants are not available. HOWEVER, most of the metal produced by the eastern/northwestern deserts is used to make taller buildings, carriages, etc.

While enchanted paths are beginning to help interconnect villages that are more inland and spur on trade there, most trade occurs at port cities. Airships are the main form of cargo transportation; sea ships begin to intrude on the merfolk's kingdom. Airships require water to land because their bulk would crush them should they land on the ground. Airships are old, mysterious artifacts created in long-ago dynasties. They are well taken care of because of their limited number; it is uncertain what specifically they run on, but eventually the airship will run out of whatever fuel it flies on and must recharge while floating in the water.

The wilderness of Serge is incredibly dangerous and home to many ruins. Not all flora is as accommodating as the bread bush and clothes vines. Some trees lure in prey much larger and fiercer than humans. Magical beasts roam the land, many dangerous--including deadly dragons. Many stay away from villages because the humans are generally able to repel these threats with the combined power of their talents. It is not safe to stray from enchanted paths.

The humans of Serge each have a unique magical ability called a talent. Normal talents are very limited in scope, commonly referred to as 'spot-on-the-wall' talents. Such talents might be like projecting an image on a wall, creating invisible walls, seeing in darkness, or glaring daggers. (Quite literally.) More powerful talents (creating magical objects, making the inanimate talk, changing the shapes of others, manipulating weather, etc) are found in people called Magicians. Magicians are usually leaders of nations, and they are found few and far between. Generally, the ruling class is constantly shifting because more powerful talents are given more powerful status. No talent ever repeats itself, though similar talents are found on occasion.

Other species include the naga and the centaurs. The naga's most common form is a human head on a snake body, though they are able to produce a fully human torso on a serpent lower half or a fully serpentine body. The serpentine body is larger than a normal snake, but not giant by any means. They generally intertwine with the human population, though the naga have their own impressive cavernous cities, mostly located on the hilly western part of the eastern region and the mountains to the northwest. Humans are as common in these underground networks as naga are in human cities.

Centaurs live mostly on the plains in the eastern region, in the open tundra in the south, and on islands further east. They are less social with humans, keeping to themselves; the main centaur network is on the islands beyond the merfolk kingdom. Mainland centaurs are more open with humans, but still keep their distance. They live in villages; the plains centaurs have the most beautiful cottage cheese. These cottages are incredibly durable and serve as a source of food in hard times. Southern centaurs are big producers of lumber and live in log cabins.

As a rule, only humans have talents; naga and centaurs generally do not. HOWEVER, there have been rare documented cases of talents in part-human species. The naga find these talents interesting but not particularly good or bad while centaurs frown on it highly. Centaurs believe that talents should only be assigned to 'lesser creatures,' and clearly ostracize those that demonstrate any kind of talent.

Our story begins with a group of people, gathered in the eastern port capital of Lisaia. They will be hired by Tristan, a wealthy and dashing young man in search of treasure. He needs crew enough to pilot his airship, whose skills and talents are strong enough to withstand the dangers of the Sergian wilderness.

Last edited by Maeniel on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ravenna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks awesome and I like the world-building. Although as for powers, is there a general rule as to what is straying into "Magician" territory? I assume none of the players shall be Magician level.

T'would also be lovely to see a bio outline!
Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No players shall be of Magician calibur. Wink I'll deal with that on a case-by-case basis...but think of Magicians as Jean Gray/Storm calibur talents.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was turned off by the world (silly fantasy doesn't appeal to me, as a rule), but when I read your character (Tristan) I was simply hooked. The drama that will, in the future, unfold is delicious! Expect a character bio tonight, after I have some time to think on it.

I may dust off Raven Leigh, a really old (and mostly undeveloped) character that used to play daughter to my oldest, primary character (not retired). Yes, that sounds fun... expect a bio tonight.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly fantasy is my specialty. Smile But I promise it's not going to be all light-hearted. There will be tears (of both joy and sadness) for all. And drama ftw! Very Happy But definitely expect more cottage cheese-like devices throughout.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as the name suggests, Raven will not be your classic 50's "candy stiping the cartoon ward" kind of gal. Still should be fun, mostly for the character interraction...assuming you approve, that is.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind, I'll look into joining when I get back from my trip.
JackAce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Naga and Centaurs come with any special natural abilioties that make up for their lack of a Talent, or should we assume that any non-Human character would be one of those few individuals who do have a Human-style Talent?

Maeniel wrote:
The naga's most common form is a human head on a snake body, though they are able to produce a fully human torso on a serpent lower half or a fully serpentine body.

Is every single Nage bound to one of these forms, or can they switch forms as necessary?

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.

Last edited by JackAce on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another, rather inconsequential question, which I doubt will have to be dealt with but I figure is worth asking just in case:

Will we be following the X-men maxim that siblings can't affect each other with their powers? Or should will that be left out?
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA: Nagas have their natural shapeshifting abilities (they can switch between the three forms) and centaurs are just generally strong. Our characters will not be the exception to the non-human/no-talent rule; only humans will have talents. That's not to say they won't uncover talents later on, though; I have yet to decide on that.

Rav: No; In Serge, magic affects everybody.
horsin'around

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I play? Sounds like a blast.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure! Smile Just PM me a bio to approve. Follow the format I gave in the Bio thread.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to splay as well, the world sounds really interesting.
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds really awesome, detailed and fairly well-planned...but for some reason, I'm lost....
>XD
But I would really like to play...
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD Well, if you have any interest at all, PM me your bios. Smile Are you confused on anything, spawn?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: