FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Mecha Knights OOC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

And don't worry about the shield form. The shape of the shield is not usually specified for a coat of arms. Any shape that is recognisable as a martial shield is acceptable for a Knight. Simpler geometrci shaped (Ovals, Lozenges or Squares) are used for nobles without martial training.

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Tyris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

(To those who would like this post to have additional content: kindly bog off.)

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Feaelen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i was hoping. and Thanks Very Happy

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread has become a bit cluttered up, I made a new one names "Mecha Knights Background & Character Bios". Please post the final versions of your cheracters into that thread and then leave it at that.

This thread will from now on serve as our OOC thread (as it basically has all this time anyways).

Nem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
So, we now got four players: Tenshi, Tyris, Spin and Fea.

I would like some more, but it doesn't seem like too many folks are in a hurry to join us...

I'll bite, if you're still looking?
- Issa
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
I'll bite, if you're still looking?

Sure! Very Happy PM me with your character design.

The blank character sheet is here.

Nem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be with you shortly.
- Issa
JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some details about ECM and Improved Sensors.

The ECM Suite broadcasts a jamming signal which distorts and obscures sensor readings. The jamming affects a small area around the broadcasting unit, so other combatants in close proximity to the ECM source are protected as well.

On the other hand, anyone within the effective radius of an active ECM Suite will not be able to use their own sensors either, as the jamming distorts all incoming signals as well!

Improved Sensors have a greater range and show more details than regular sensor suites. When confronted with ECM-protected targets, Improved Sensors won't be able to locate the target itself, but if the Knight knoew what he needs to look for, he may be able to detect the distortion (thus getting a general idea of the target's location). However, such signs of ECM distortion are very faint and can only be noticed if you're actively searching for them.

Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
a minor radiation leak rendered her and everyone else in the room at the time sterile. Fortunately everyone else in the room was a peasant
Laughing

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Improved Sensors possibly be synced up with your own ECM suite to allow you to scan while using your counter-measures? I know I'm not the only one with both...
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a purely technical standpoint, there could be two options (offhand, anyway).

ECM/Sensor Option 1) Have Sensors and ECM tied into an algorythm that scrambles inbound/outbound signals by a certain pattern, which is highly randomized but pre-recorded. It would take an enemy unit several minutes (at least) to break this with advanced computer techniques (Adv. Sensors included, perhaps?). Without advanced computers, this would likely be impossible to break.

ECM/Sensor Option 2) ECM is set on completely random patterns, meaning nobody gets anything out of it. Advanced Sensors can only give vague readings on possible locations, though these have a tendancy to "jump around". The colloquial (sp) term for these sensor readings are "Ghosts".

What do you think, Lope? I think it would be fair to say an ECM pattern buffer could be used, maybe with a dozen or so unique codes. These codes wouldn't last long against advanced sensors, but against swarms of low-rate "militia" Mecha they would render the Knight almost invisible to sensors. In that sense, fighting other Knights would mean the ECM mattered little (for long). Fighting lower-end or garrison forces, the ECM would be an excellent tool.

'course, that's not taking into account energy usage. If you started running at full speed or firing weapons, it would make it MUCH easier to detect on sensors (infra-red, mainly...). Jump Jets should be a dead givaway... Um, but just sitting in a hole, hidden, with the sensors and ECM turned up, probably wouldn't give away a Knight's position for quite some time.

::shuts up before he starts going into tactical uses of ECM/Sensor combinations, drones, etc::

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spindrifter wrote:
Will Improved Sensors possibly be synced up with your own ECM suite to allow you to scan while using your counter-measures? I know I'm not the only one with both...

Improved Sensors will work at greatly reduced effectivity while inside a jammad area. They're still better than no sensors at all (or normal sensors in under a jamming), but considerably worse than normal sensors under clear conditions.

The ECM/Imp.Sensors combo is stil useful, because you can detect your foes at a long distance and then kick in the jamming when you come closer.

In combat, you'll usually be able to see you opponent, so loss of sensor data isn't such a big deal. However, sensor data is also fed into your targeting computer, so Improved Sensors will make the difference between glitchy targeting data and pure eyeballing.

But it's always worth to contemplate switching the ECM off...

Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were that bothered you could just blink the ECM on and off every so often while moving laterally. A miss by an inch is as good as mile and as long as you get your targeting fix it doesn't matter.
- Issa
JackAce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And off we go...

JackAce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyris wrote:
bowing*

*Or possibly saluting? What does the military of Myrandria use?

In the field saluting might be acceptable, but at court bowing is definitely the correct choice.

Tyris wrote:
Yes, Sir Henry thinks, what were you thinking?

I had numerous ideas how Ayneira might have gone about this whole affair in a more diplomatic fashion, but they would all have caused the text to become even longer than it is now.

Also, the Queen is a very proud and stubborn young woman, so while she might have been more courteous in her choice of words, she would never have been any more friendly towards Prince Garran.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: