FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Family Slogans; Family Crests.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Family Slogans; Family Crests. Reply with quote

Did you know that the "Monroe" family motto is "Dread God" ?

How 'bout this;
The Dolan family crest features a sapling tree?

The "Van Doren" crest has a sheep?

I have the worst crest EVER?

Tell us something interesting;
1- a/your family crest/motto
OR
2- something mildly interesting concerning the history of a family name
OR
3- are you royalty???
'I want you, bleeders......'
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a common surname so a quick google resulted in two family crests, this and this

I don't know enough about my family to know which crest could be mine but I do know that one originates from "sea warrior". Which might explain my love of diving and sea life.

I have a double barrelled last name but so far I can't find anything about the second name I did see the crest once but I can't remember where.

Last edited by TheBritishInvasion on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Tamir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family actually has a crest! 0_0 Color me surprised.
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crest has two ravens, a rose, and several red fleurs-de-lis. I think it's one of those make crests, though.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if we have a crest, and I wasn't able to dig anything up. It would be much easier if we knew what clan we belonged to. -_-

My branch of the family is Scottish, we were royal foresters - or something. (though my sister used to think that we were the king's messengers, she was so disappointed when mom told her otherwise.)
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried all four of my family names, and I found nada....
That's pretty depressing, but I'm related to Dr. Joseph Ignace Guillotin....
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
horsin'around

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...couldn't dig up anything on a crest, but I do know my Mum was Irish and my dad was British and Australian.

My mum's surname was Murphy, and my father's was Corvere. I know my dad was pretty blue-blooded, hence the old money that's in my family, but other than being pretty, my mum was dirt poor.

Nothing interesting on me! Just a Irish/British/Australian girl with a trace of Greek and German.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually Thai nobility from my mom's side. I'm not sure if we have a crest or anything, but the seal for our province is a big tree with a backdrop of rice fields.

I don't know much about my dad's side, but I'm descended from the captain of the Mayflower. Don't think that has a crest...
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for family lineage! My mother's side of the family is dominantly English, with some French (less than 1/8th I'm told). Since we don't associate with that side of her family, I don't regard it much as my own I suppose.

Now, my father's side! *grins*

My last name is Mullins, which comes from the same name as "Mullin/Mullen/Mullan", depending on how it was translated when the family came to America. The original Irish surname is, as far as I know, ů MaolŠin, which means "bald". Not surprisingly, the men in the family tend to go bald shortly after going grey...

The family line itself is a melting pot. Dominantly Irish, there are also strong lines of Scottish and Cherokee most dominantly, further on back there are relatives from almost every Western European country. Mostly, though, we hold the green and orange near and dear to our hearts.

Also interesting about my family, we are descended from the first white settlers of what is now West Virginia, the Morgan family. Daniel Morgan, Morgan Morgan, etc? Named the town where West Virginia University resides after them, Morgantown. There's some state history for you as well! Smile

I really love talking ears off when it comes to my family, because as I learn more about the traditional Irish I see a lot of similarities. I'm not claiming that we fly a Belfast or Dublin flag out front, but it's very similar in the way everyone is connected and supports one another. No matter how heinous a crime a member of the family commits, they're still my blood and I'll draw a line in their defense.

Oh, and this is similar to what I recall my father showing me when I was much, much younger. I'm not sure if this is the correct Coat of Arms, but it's much more correct looking than some others I had found. Link.

The family motto I remember being told was "Ne cede malis" or in plain English, "Yield not to adversity." Fitting, because our family has a history of suffering incredible hardships and coming through them stronger, together.

Sorry this was so long-winded. Like I said, I could talk all day about my family and my proud history. But hey, what can I say? I'm Irish. Laughing

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:

I don't know much about my dad's side, but I'm descended from the captain of the Mayflower. Don't think that has a crest...

Hey hey hey, I'm descended from William Brewster! (the minister on the Mayflower) And would you be referring to Standish or Bradford? Because I think I'm also related to Standish. . .

My mom's side got its name from this medal given to a French ancestor. I've been told that the last name means "button" in French, after the medal - which looked like a button. Or something. Supposedly, there's a picture of this ancestor somewhere in the Louvre - we've not gotten the proper opportunity to see it though, living across the ocean and what not. >>;
horsin'around

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*high-fives Tenshi* Irish! Irish! Irish!

Unfortunately, all I really know about my family is that we are scattered across the world like seeds. I know I'm Irish, British, and australian with a trace of Greek and German, but other than that, since my relationship with my biological parents was so tenuous, I hardly know a thing.

Growing up, my Aunt Suzanne had very red hair and pale skin of an Irishwoman, but she used to say that she was Scottish as well. So confusing, really!

I know I have a cousin named Eamon, which is pretty darn Irish, and I have another cousin (male, curse it! no females!) called Harry, on my father's side.

So...yeah.

Ponce
Tamir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm descended from circus performers. ^_^;;
horsin'around

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*starry-eyed at Tam* Really...? 0_o

THAT IS SO FREAKIN' COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Ponce
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has such awesome and interesting histories also.. Circus performers! I have a friend who's descended from gypsies, is that similar? I mean, are we talking old world circus where they basically lived and traveled together, their craft was their life? ...totally awesome.

@Ponce: Irish indeed! Eamon is a very Irish name! ::high five::

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tamir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm talking people whose life was the circus. Some of 'em were really awesome....like one who would balance anything (like chairs) on his nose while juggling. I just wish I had inherited their coolness; the best I can do is juggle and do some card tricks. Razz And not even at the same time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: