FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

New RP Concept Questions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking of starting an RP... With Space's permission, I may bring back the Mutants RP, but since I'm not entirely familiar with Marvel's universe, I'd put it in my own world drawing heavily from what I know OF the X-Men universe while not depending on it entirely.

The second option would be to start a new fantasy-ish RP. In this world, each person has a unique magical ability (talent). No one talent is ever identically duplicated, though similar variations could be encountered. The world itself would be at our group's command; we would be a team of treasure hunters looking for magical artifacts. It'll be light-hearted and fun, but may take a more serious turn after the first couple of chapters.

As far as the talents go, I'll let you think of something fun and be creative! Just make sure that it's somewhat limited in scope (ie, control weather may be possible, but constrain it to within a few feet).

Which would you all rather see, if any new one at all? Smile
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free. I can load you down with what plot I had available, and help you with details of Marvel stuff if you want, though I won't get involved playing-wise until I get back from my holidays.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second concept does sound interesting, but I'd be very happy to see Mutants make a comeback in a Mane-stylee, as your side missions were fun diversions. I'd like to see what you could do with a full-scale RPG. Very Happy

I lost my original bio for it, but I'd want to rewrite it completely anyway, but keep more or less similar powers. And I know a fair bit about Marvel as well, so I could help you out there if you so wished.
JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, these two settings are both based on the same concept, right?

Only one's set in a modern world and the other in a fantasy realm.

Personally, I'd prefer the modern setting.

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. Same concept as far as powers go, yes.

Mutants is based heavily on the X-Men universe in which mutants are feared and even hunted. Our group (in the last rp) were running for their lives. They were from opposite teams, but when the street outside the state house (idk what it was in the UK) exploded, most people from both teams died and both ran for their lives as they were forced to band together and help each other in a world that was against them.

In the second RP, we would be seeing a combination of technology and magic; whatever technology there wasn't, magic would create an equal substitute. It would essentially be modern. In this new RP, we would be looking for specific artifacts and fighting off other teams of treasure hunters. Eventually, events would unfold and create an atmosphere much like mutants, but we would still be looking for certain artifacts as we try to survive.

Last edited by Maeniel on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
Mutants is based heavily on the X-Men universe in which mutants are feared and even hunted. Our group (in the last rp) were running for their lives. They were from opposite teams, but when the street outside the state house (idk what it was in the UK) exploded, most people from both teams died and both ran for their lives as they were forced to band together and help each other in a world that was against them.

*ahem* I think you mean either 10 Downing Street or the Houses of Parliment Mane. Razz
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 Downing Street! Smile Yes, that one.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was downing street. Of the two, I think I prefer the newer setting, actually - it's more interesting to be original, you're not tied down to a specific universe. Also, in terms of team dynamic, the good-guy-bad-guy thing, while interesting, creates a conflict that's difficult to resolve. Finally, the constantly-running thing makes plot difficult to work out.

Overall, I think that a new setting would be best.
JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
In the second RP, we would be seeing a combination of technology and magic; whatever technology there wasn't, magic would create an equal substitute. It would essentially be modern. In this new RP, we would be looking for specific artifacts and fighting off other teams of treasure hunters. Eventually, events would unfold and create an atmosphere much like mutants, but we would still be looking for certain artifacts as we try to survive.

Ah, now I see!

Yes, this does indeed sound more interesting than an X-Men clone.

As to the Talents, do they have to be like magic powers, which are activated only when used, or could they also be fixed physical traits that are basically always on (like having four arms)?

Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather it be a magic power, whether active or passive. Depending on the physical trait, it may or may not be a talent--I'll deal with that on a case-by-case basis. You example of four arms wouldn't be a talent unless it could be turned on/off. While four arms could be his natural state, there's nothing inherently magical about four arms unless he did something with them.
Feaelen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be so tempted to bring Delia back, she was one of my fav characters to play. But it sounds like she would fit in with your new RP too (with a few adjustments though). Though that would put me up to 4 RPGs yark! I'm soo torn.

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post more infos about this setting!

Are there different races available?

Is there any specific explanation wha people have these Talents, or are they just a fact of life?

Once a Talent has been activated, can is stay up indefinitely or wuill it run out of juice after a while?

Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see if different races will be available; certainly different races will be encountered. The main ones I'm interested in introducing are centaurs, naga, demons, and Demons. Demons (both lower and upper case) will NOT be available for play. Depending on how I feel, centaurs may be available. Naga are more iffy, but still possible. Goblins and harpies will possibly be encountered, but again will not be playable.

Talents will, at first, be a fact of life. Everyone has them, everyone uses them. As time goes on, however, we'll discover where they come from and why humans have them.

It depends entirely on the talent. I'd like to say that it will run out of juice after a while, but again, it'll be on a case-by-case basis.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
Talents will, at first, be a fact of life. Everyone has them, everyone uses them. As time goes on, however, we'll discover where they come from and why humans have them.

It depends entirely on the talent. I'd like to say that it will run out of juice after a while, but again, it'll be on a case-by-case basis.

Hmmm - I'd suggest rather than it running out completely, if you ever extend yourself, you won't be able to use your power for a while until you've recovered to your full strength or some such.
JackAce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
We'll see if different races will be available; certainly different races will be encountered. The main ones I'm interested in introducing are centaurs, naga, demons, and Demons. Demons (both lower and upper case) will NOT be available for play. Depending on how I feel, centaurs may be available. Naga are more iffy, but still possible. Goblins and harpies will possibly be encountered, but again will not be playable.

Interestngly, the reason why I asked for different races was because I was thinking about playing either a Gargoyle or a Naga...

The Gargoyle would probably fall under Harpies in your setting, so I gotty say farewell to that idea, but a Nage would be really cool!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: