FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Bering RP: First Steps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Feaelen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli grinned as the reactor reached the ready point for Stage 3, "Engineering to Bridge, initiating Stage 3." Thieli pressed the button and waited as the cascade continued, it wouldn't be long now before launch.

((Mato, i'm assuming you were waiting for me to post something about that, and here i was waiting for you to post lol))

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tomato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two stages of the engine would fire off in rather quick succession: Full power would be reached momentarily. As she pushed the button to ignite the third stage, Thieli's job of overseeing and monitoring the cold start process would be completed.

The ship itself was nearly ready for launch, only one task remained: The officers' meeting.

However, this was quickly interrupted.

"Thieli, nevermind that officer's meeting. We've got another order. We're taking off now." the captain put out over the comm. He hoped she was still in engineering.

The door peeked open as Jarvy looked in.

"I'm sorry hon, but we're gonna need to get a seat. We're taking off ahead of schedule."

Captain Eisner grabbed the comm and keyed in to speak to all decks.

"We're going to be taking off a bit earlier than expected. We've got another contract to take on. We're gonna see a bit of action earlier than I anticipated, but the ship needs a good shakedown. I expect everyone at attention."

He switched channels to engineering.

"Thieli, Johanna, please make ready for take-off. We're going to need the Einstein Devices at full operational capacity to break atmosphere."

He looked back over at Jarvy again.

"Sorry. We've got a new contract. High priority. Dangus - the planet our shipment was expected to be delivered to - is experiencing some troubles with pirates. Supposedly one or two ships for us to deal with. It'll give us a chance to spread our wings. Really though, we should find a seat. Take-offs can be rough."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien shifted in his seat, blinking back the last traces of the initial "sickness". Captain Eisner's orders sent him into a flurry of thoughts, not the least of which was the troubling noise from his turret.

If the thing goes out on me in the middle of a firefight, we'll be hurting for sure...

He made mental note to contact engineering as soon as they were out of the gravity well of the planet, and checked his harness nervously one last time as the engines shook the craft, sending her through the sky like a very confused meteor.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, an early start. The mystery button could wait. Gibbs methodically cracked his knuckles as he felt the last booms and cracks of the cold start sequence running through the ship, and watched as the final dials on his console lit, slid and stuttered up to full power, ready to send the ship leaping into space.

((I envision the pilot's console as a bank of buttons and dials which could be operated by a co-pilot at necessity, but which are possibly duplicated on someone else's console, and a steering yoke with all the requisites for directly controlling the ship on a separate portion of the console - it strikes me that the ship would probably not need direct manual control for long interstellar travel, only for tight manoeuvring, such as take-off, landing and combat. The seat would be set in a track, and can be locked off at either position, or a second loaded into the track if a co-pilot's on board))

He kicked the lock off his seat, and slid it across to the yoke, with its bank of pedals beneath, and levers, dials and switches all around. He was ready and waiting for the command to cast off.

((I don't think we've actually taken off yet, tenshi =P))
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Seeing a bit of action'? 'A good shakedown'? Somehow, Leah didn't think that meant a party. "Hashem yitborach..." She tightened her straps by telekinesis, and grabbed the handles of her chair, gritting her teeth. She was already getting a headache and nausea, just from nerves.

{{And that's all I need to post, I think, at least until an hour or two after launch. At that point she going to close the door and cook, and at dinner she's going to explain the iron-clad rules of the galley. 'Hashem yitborach' means 'blessed G-d', and it's about as close to a curse as you can come in Hebrew. 'Hashem' isn't even a real name of G-d; it literally translates to 'The Name', and when used as a pronoun, refers to G-d. And I love how my end notes are longer than my posts, again. -_-}}

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Feaelen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli hummed softly to herself in tune with the engines, she loved cold start, as the Captain's commands came through she nodded to herself and swivled her chair so that she could reach the controls for the Einstein Engine.

She flicked the cover off the button and pressed it as she replied to the Captain, "Yes Captain, the Einstein engines are now engaged."

Thieli then proceeded to check the fastenings of her chair and make glanced around the engine room making sure there was nothing obviously wrong.

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvy nodded quickly and turned back to sit once more in the Mate's seat as the Captain's voice rang through the ship. She could verily feel the power in the ship surging beneath her, and the suspense for take-off was almost unbearable. "Come on... come on..." she muttered under her breath.
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Captain turned around, finished a couple of thoughts, then walked out of the maproom. Turning his frame as he moved through the doorway and around the elevator, he came onto the bridge with an odd sense of... what was this? Adventure? He chuckled inwardly as he looked at Mr. Gibbs.

"Mr. Gibbs," he started. He let the pause hang for a second. Captain Eisner always had been a fan of drama.

"...Please take us up."

He turned, and sat down in his chair. Looking to his first mate, he apologized with his eyes.

"Sorry for the short notice. Would you announce to the crew we're lifting off?"

As he asked this, he keyed in a command to the comm mic, and pulled it to his lips.

"This is the DSS Bering. We're commencing lift off now. Wish us luck, tower."

zzzzt "Yeah? Launch sequence confirmed. We're seeing full reactor power and e-engines engaged. Good luck Bering, and Godspeed." zzzzt the tower replied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The einstein engines would engage flawlessly, and the reactor would reach the final stage and full power within seconds. The ship would respond a bit sluggishly at first in it's movements, but would pick up as it rose.

The Einstein Engines have an odd effect on lifting off: It feels like you're lightening, like you've just lost an enormous burden. In fact, something similar to low-G spaceflight occurs for the first few moments especially. But, as the ship breaks away from the gravity well of a given planet, the einstein engines are relaxed, and the on-board gravity are more able to compensate for the weight difference. However, until that time, the feeling of low body weight combined with rapid excelleration can be rather disconcerting. It is recommended that for any planetary take-off, the occupants be seated and mentally prepared, as the the forces being weighed on the body are anything but natural to an average human. Physiological responses are usually limited to uneasiness, muscle tension, abdominal cramps, and other stress-related symptoms. All in all, straightforward and mild. The average space-farer will have experienced this before, and be completely unaffected.

The ship, at Mr. Gibbs direction, would be free to move into the sky, initially not dissimilar to a lazy and drunken man stumbling outside of an old pub. As it picked up momentum and lost mass, the ship would perform with much greater agility, and eventually rocket towards the stars.

((Space, I'm requesting you take us up and out. I'll post again following this, detailing the next - critical - process. Hitting the jump gate.))

(((Map Room > Bridge.)))
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the command he'd been waiting for. "With pleasure, Sir."

His seat creaked slightly as the Einsteins engaged, taking some of his weight away. He flexed his shoulders slightly and set one hand to the yoke as he heard the Captain converse with the tower. "Lifting engines engaged." He felt the familiar straining as the ship tugged against its mooring. "Casting off." He threw a lever on the far left of his console, and felt distant clunks resonate through the frame of the ship as the clamps holding her down disengaged. He feathered the throttle just enough to take her off the floor and began to move her clear. The nose thrusters pushed her backwards - the response was sluggish. Her weight was diminished but there was still massive inertia all the same. He pulled backwards out of the clamps and up. Playing the bank of pedals at his feet like a virtuoso, he tugged the yoke towards him. The prow thrust upwards gently and gracefully but irrevocably, like that of a sinking ship, until she hovered stern-down to the blast-plate beneath.

"Engaging main thrust." His foot plunged onto the biggest pedal, right in the centre of the bank. The Einsteins muted the tremendous kick of the ship's main engines firing at full blast. It was like being punched in the full flow of a boxing match. One could feel the thump, but distantly.

The engines screamed, and the ship began to rise, slowly at first, but ever-faster. Gibbs admired the free, empty sky ahead of him briefly, but there was little time. The thin cloud layer shot towards the cabin screen, then without a buffet, straight past it. He wanted to let out a whoop at flying again, but that wouldn't be professional. He corrected as he went for slight deviations caused by the limited wind, boosting thrust from one side of the other, twitching his control thrusters, feeling the response and agility of the ship increase. It wasn't a frigate, it would never be the falcon he was used to, but an eagle or albatross, more graceful and with longer range and stamina.

He wasn't sure exactly where the captain needed to go next, so he threw the ship through an exuberant looping spiral into a geostationary orbit with the cabin screen watching the Earth they'd just left rotate gently below them.

((The controls - the forwards-backwards axis of the yoke controls nose-up, nose-down, the left-right axis left and right, various pedals control manoeuvring thrusters, and a big pedal in the middle controls the main thrust. It's this, primarily, that decides where they go - you point the ship in the direction you want and push, rather than steering as in the sky - there's nothing to steer against, so changing the attitude of the ship in space would do just that, without main thrust behind it. Hope this is what you were after))
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Space, your summarization of space-flight is impeccable. Without people in this RP, I'd never be able to think of all the things to make something like this so fully realized. Thank you!))

Jameson felt a slight tug at his belly and a surge of adrenaline as Mr. Gibbs skillfully directed the ship into the sky, and then out past it as the horizon rapidly drew an ever sharper curve. Jameson was used to this, he had flown before. He had piloted before. He'd been on other ships before. In every way, this should be just a normal take-off, but no. This was special. This was his ship. These were his crew. This what was right in the world. Captain Eisner noted carefully that Mr. Gibbs dropped the ship into a standard military orbital pattern. Old habits die hard, he supposed. The captain came to his feet, and looked at the pilot.

"Helmsman, don't worry about keeping us in orbit. We're going to need to get into the queue for the jump gate as soon as we can. I need to meet with the officers shortly, but we'll be making way as soon as we get finished, which should be shortly. We have somewhere to be."

Keying another command into the comm mic, he pulled up engineering.

"Thieli, would you please meet Ms. Heit and myself in my ready room? I believe there are some small matters to discuss."

He nodded to Jarvy quickly, then turned, pausing before stepping out of the room - and looked at Mr. Gibbs again.

"Oh, and nice work."
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sir." Gibbs knew the way to the jump gate - its radio beacons provided him direction. He swung the ship to point to it, and gunned the engine. The captain's compliment made him smile briefly. "Thank you, sir. It's good to be back in the sky."

((I assume the jump gate has a flat plane for entry (stargate-like) so I'm going for 2 beacons, akin the the way harbour lights work - you line the two beacons up, and that puts you on a direct course into the gate. Behind everyone else in the queue of course =D

I'll shut up and let everyone else post for a while =D))

Last edited by thespaceinvader on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His breath caught as the engines roared to life, and for a deafening moment he felt butterflies in his stomach. Adrenaline hit his system, and in an instant it felt like he was moving faster than the ship was. Every cloud, every distant speck of metal glinting off the sunlight, everything through the viewport was crystal clear and amazing.

Damien had never flown, he'd trained for it and he'd prepared for it. He had read a thousand books, seen countless presentations. In every way he was ready for the task of flight except for just one thing... actually seeing it with his own, mortal eyes.

Without thinking, he murmured probably loudly enough to be heard over the on-board communications. "My god, it's...beautiful."

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah moaned as the Einsteins came on-line, and the extra tension in her jaw reopened the cut in her tongue. There was an unpleasant whine in the back of her head, in the same area where she controlled her grav implant, but the feeling the Einsteins evoked was as similar to her own deft manipulation as a dentist's drill was to a concert violin. For Leah, gravity manipulation was an art and a delicate science, and the gross bludgeoning of the engines against the forces of gravity made her stomach turn. She had been in space and taken off enough times to be used to the normal stresses of launch, but she never got used to the Einsteins. When the ship got out beyond the bounds of atmospheric gravity, the whine settled down into a low buzzing which she could learn to ignore unless she was under a great amount of stress.

After they settled into orbit, Leah began to relax. Now that the Einsteins weren't being used so heavily anymore, her headache was dissipating, and she could start controlling her nausea. She should be up to snuff by the time she's needed.

{{Okay, I changed it - better?}}

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.

Last edited by Asa on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderfully familiar sensation came over Jarvy as they lifted up and out of the atmosphere- her breathing slowed and she smiled as the view of the rotating planet they'd just left became clear. She could recall similar views from many, many previous take offs- but this one was much different- untried waters here. In so many ways. Her eyes lazily followed the Captain out of the room, then settled on the view again.

"Never had better, Mr. Gibbs. The Captain's right," she directed at Gibbs without taking her eyes from the view. After a second's hesitation she stood and followed the Captain into his readyroom.

Her training and lack of familiarity with the situation prevented Jarvy from speaking first, so instead she sat down and straightened her self-chosen 'uniform,' which consisted of a red blouse and grey pinstriped vest/pants, waiting for the Captain to take the initiative.
Feaelen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli continued to hum softly as she felt the ship lift off, the draw of the Einstein Engines always set her hearts all a flutter.

As they reached orbit, Thieli felt the engines back off a bit so she took off her helmet and was beginning to unstrap when the captain called.

"Yes, Captain i'll be there momentarily." Thieli returned her helmet to the case and then turned to Johanna, "Johanna, please monitor the engines if you need anything i'll be in the Captain's ready room in a meeting."

With that, and not waiting for a reply Thieli walked out of the room swung up the stairs to the next level and entered the "ready room"

She nodded to the Captain and the First Officer as she entered the room and took a seat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: