FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

WRITER'S GROUP 1: LOVE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Nightmare Before Christmas! But I loathe horror films. I cannot see the point in scaring myself for no good reason. It just holds no appeal for me. I'm only happy if I can sit and make inane comments at the stupidity of the characters;
"Don't go in there, idiot woman! And if you absolutely must, at least get a big stick!"

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god! I completly forgot about this! *headdesk repeatly* I'll come up with something! June 23 is my birthday. XD

Also, is poem ok?
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poem is fine - this is for any sort of word-production. In fact, if you go look at "Long Distance Relationship", you'll see my entry for the last WG, which was a poem.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to do a poem, but I changed my mind. Rather simplistic and not my best, but I like it. Might edit. Enjoy!

______

There was a little girl no older than six. Every night her mother would prepare her bath by boiling water in a huge kettle pot and then pour it into a small plastic tub so conviently placed near the heater. They lived in a cabin with no running water, so it was a lengthy task and it was winter time. Afterward, her dad would tuck her in bed and sing to her snatches of phrases from different songs. Occasionally he would sing to her:“Row, row your boat, gently down the stream, life is but a dream.”

Then she would eventually drift off to sleep, dreaming about sparkling water carrying her away in a boat toward a paradise. This was a nightly ritual that she enjoyed and often tuned in her hearing aid so she could hear his voice and one of her favorite that she often asked her Dad to explain:

Good night, good night Irene. I will see you in my dreams.”

“Who is Irene, Daddy Rob?” She inquired, using his first name. She has always used his first name when other childrens either called their parents “Mom” or “Dad”.

“Why, its you.” He answered, tucking her snugly undereth her blankets.

“But that’s not my name!” the girl giggled.

“Does it matter? You are my Irene.” Her Dad replied, smiling and sang again. “Good night, good night Irene. I’ll see you in my dreams.”

“I’ll see you in my dream!” She said and pulled her hearing aid out and snuggled the blanket up to her nose. Then she would dift off in her dreams, running down a path to meet her Daddy Rob. Such was the case, but in time, she grew up and the ritual became less frequent. Over the time, the girl stopped addressing her Dad using his first name. Until one day, as a gangly thirteen year old, she stratched her head as she went to her bed.

“Daddy, didnt you use to sing to me that song? I cant remember what it was.” She asked him. He was sitting down with his reading glasses on and reading something in the dimmed room. Daddy took off his glasses and his forhead wrinkled thoughtfully.

“The Irene one?”

“Yes! Thats the one! Will you sing it to me again?”

“Of course.” He put away the papers and his reading glasses and went to tuck his girl into bed. She snuggled with only the table lamp illumating her face, her dad kissed her forehead and sang:

Good night, Good night Irene. I’ll see you in my dreams.”

And then turned off the light and that was it for a long time. Eventually the little girl wasnt so little anymore. Already her body filled out and the girl was a teenager and on her way to becoming a beautiful woman. She was in high school and were involved in doing her own things rather than spending time with her good old Dad. They drifted apart over time, then one day she decided to look up the song.

“But Dad, that’s so sad!” She exclaimed after approching him on the subject of the song of how one lost his love. “Why do you sing that?”

“Because,” Her father patiently explained, “I love you very much.”

She thought about it for a moment and smiled, “I love you too Dad, I’ll see you in my dreams.”

It wasnt until many years later again, when the Dad was much older with white hair showing and wrinkle creeping into his skin that he hugged his daughter good bye. She had matured and got married while her Dad were becoming older. Their weekly family dinner was over and he watched her climb into the car and sped toward home to her husband. That night, when the stars crept after the dying sun, the young mother bent over to her baby in the darkened room.

“I’m going to sing you a song.” She said to her three months old son in a singsong voice as she got him ready for bed. “Yes I’ll sing you a song, yes I will!” The baby giggled and smiled at his mother as she shyly sang:

Good night, good night Irene. I’ll see you in my dreams.”
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so lovely, a different perception of love altogether. I love how everyone's come out with different aspects of love, no two stories have been alike. This one shows the chain of love that is a family, from generation to generation. Beautiful.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, that makes me think of my dad. . .it's so beautiful Miff! And very, very sweet.
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*runs off to ring her dad*

Maeniel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Well, everybody has posted except LL, and he's been MIA for almost two months. Actually, exactly two months. Should we wait two more weeks just in case, or should we move on?
Asa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really only about a week, now, plus two or three days - I'm going home a week from Sunday.

People, give your opinion, but note that you can use this time to edit your pieces and decide which you want to vote for.

Allicat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say that everyone's pieces are really good, and it's been interesting to see that we've all looked at Love from different angles. This was fun!

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, ditto, is all I can say, I'm going to have such a hard time picking who to vote for!!
LordLegion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Assignment from "Foot" Reply with quote

The memory of something long lost to the mind
Compression of emotions exerting more force
Strain for freedom, strain for release
More compression, tighten the screws

Sight catches a glimpse of that memory
It walks slowly down the side walk
Turn of the head, flip of the hair
Corner of the mouth turned up in a smile

Two sets of eyes lock in recognition
Lips part emitting sound
The heart begins to race

The memory holds up its hand
Sparkling gem made of ice on a band of fire
Laughter in the eyes
Corner of the mouth turned up in a smile

Racing heart now a dull, painful thud
The memory strolls away
Unrequited love burns deep and hot

((Sorry this took me so long to post. Life has been crazy. The busy season at work started early this year and has not let up until just recently. I am still pulling weekends occassionally. That leaves me with only time at home to check things like this on the computer. Since I look at a computer all day at work, all I have been wanting to do when I get home is eat, spend time with the family and then crash out. I will become more involved again though.))

I used to think everyday I didn't wake up and gargle a few rounds from a revolver was a victory, but little "golden" moments like this make me wonder, "A victory for who?"
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive, 9-12-2002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, LL--sorry for wanting to move on before you came back! It's good to hear that things are slowing down, though. Smile
LordLegion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
No problem, LL--sorry for wanting to move on before you came back! It's good to hear that things are slowing down, though. Smile

I honestly cannot blame you.

I used to think everyday I didn't wake up and gargle a few rounds from a revolver was a victory, but little "golden" moments like this make me wonder, "A victory for who?"
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive, 9-12-2002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offtopic, but your signature quote is made of win LL. So few SP references in the world, which is a tragedy.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: