FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

New RP Concept Questions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly indifferent to humungous mecha stuff tbh - i think they tend to insulate the protagonists from one another, and make characterisation more difficult.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space: try and pick up a game for the Playstation 1 system (will play on a PS2) called "Xenogears". I used to believe much the same until I played Xenogears, which never seemed to suffer that problem (or, sometimes, played upon it). Of course, it was from Squaresoft back in Square's best days...

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Tenshi, you're pulling me down such a slippery slope...

I have this to say to you:

Phoenix Hawk (PXH-3D variant)

Greatest mech ever.

Sorry bro, I won't be convinced otherwise.
JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomato wrote:
There are two things that I both love and that I hate about this idea.

1) It seems to be taken directly away from the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe.

2) It might not be taken directly from the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe.

Feaelen wrote:
Sounds alot like Vision of Escaflowne i'm curious but i'd need more details before i sign on for a game.

Battletech and Escaflowne are among my influences for this setting. So are Neon Genesis Evangelion and Warhammer 40,000 Tau.

Tenshi wrote:
"One hundred years ago, a spaceship crashed on an otherwise backward/medieval planet. The survivors of this crash used their advanced technology to safeguard certain civilizations from natural disasters, but refused to take part in major wars. That is, until a splinter group seperated from the whole.

In a daring midnight raid, the splinter group reduced the mothership and most of the original supplies to ashes, and then made off into the night. This splinter group now allies itself with a dark and powerful force, threatening to easily take the entire world by storm in preparation for complete world domination!

However, a small recon unit was away at the time of the attack. Now, faced with limited resources and mostly only their wits and skills as diplomats and scouts, a band of pilots must fight their way through the splinter group's elite and assault forces, find the leaders of both the splinter group AND the "normals" general, and end the lives of both before the world is taken by this combined force."

Whoa!

That might actually be a tad more detailed than the background I had in mind so far...

...Well, not really. I haven't given much thought to how the Mechas came to be used, instead focussing on what they'll be used for.

thespaceinvader wrote:
I'm fairly indifferent to humungous mecha stuff tbh

The Mechas I have in mind, I wouldn't really call them "Homungous". Probably somewhere in the 12-18 feet range.

Also, this occured to my after posting:
Please don't overestimate the "Fantasy" aspect of the setting. It's basically going to be a Sci-Fi setting on a single planet with several Medieval aspects such as Monarchy, Feudalism and Chivalry.

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally? Not so interested. Have fun, though!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the Rooming RP?
That looked pretty cool, although I was never in it....
Plus I think it would be funny to room with you guys...
Just a thought.
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Spin hates Tau*

But I do see where you're drawing from. And like Mato, my objection is that it seems drawn so heavily from a universe already so thoroughly fleshed out (specifically, the MechWarrior/BattleTech line). Just looking at the info thread, it seems to me that the really interesting stuff is in, forgive me, the politics.

That said, can I take a character who never sees the inside of a Mecha and just plots? 'Cause that might be a lot of fun. *generic evil mastermind laugh*
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomato wrote:
I have this to say to you:

Phoenix Hawk (PXH-3D variant)

In countless Tech 1 duels, I've seen a Phoenix Hawk take down everything from other medium mechs, all the way up to an Atlas. Even when Tech II was allowed, Marauders were still dropping to skilled PXH pilots...

Jump Jets + Melee/Kick = Mech Head Football!

I think medium mechs in general are my favorite chassis, as they're versatile enough to accomplish ALMOST any task except frontal assaults. In Tech I, PXH were about the best there was. Once you get out of Tech I, into Clan Tech, I was a huge fan of Shadow Cats. Basically the same thing though, TBH.

Strictly speaking on looks, the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat always took the prize to me. Maybe because I got hooked on the series from MW2 and MW2:Mercs, though. I tell you, playing an Inner Sphere Mercenary, you see those Clanners come over the rise on Tukayyid (I think it was, it's been years)...it still sends chills down my spine!

I've got nothing more on topic really, so poodle away Razz

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spindrifter wrote:
And like Mato, my objection is that it seems drawn so heavily from a universe already so thoroughly fleshed out (specifically, the MechWarrior/BattleTech line). Just looking at the info thread, it seems to me that the really interesting stuff is in, forgive me, the politics.

I won't deny any of this. Basically, there are only so many really "new" things you can do with any given setting. What I did - and what pretty much every creator of a "new" setting does - is to take various influences and recombine them into a new end result.

The Mecha construction system I have listed in the Info Thread draws heavily on the Battletech and Tau Battlesuit systems.
The optical appearance I have in mind for Mecha is closer to Escaflowne and a bunch of similar Anime Mecha stories.
And the background with the medieval/futuristic combination is mostly based on 1980's cartoons. Wink

Spindrifter wrote:
That said, can I take a character who never sees the inside of a Mecha and just plots? 'Cause that might be a lot of fun. *generic evil mastermind laugh*

That might prove a little difficult.

There will definitely be a lot of scenes where the characters are outside of their Mecha, but any actual combat scenario anyone not piloting a Mecha would pretty much sit around with nothing to do...

Of course, you could make a character whose main field of interest (and ability) lie outside the Mecha cockpit. Like a Diplomat and/or Strategist. But still this character would own a Mecha ands know how to use it when necessary.

JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thespaceinvader wrote:
I'm fairly indifferent to humungous mecha stuff tbh - i think they tend to insulate the protagonists from one another, and make characterisation more difficult.

Spindrifter wrote:
my objection is that it seems drawn so heavily from a universe already so thoroughly fleshed out (specifically, the MechWarrior/BattleTech line). Just looking at the info thread, it seems to me that the really interesting stuff is in, forgive me, the politics.

Please ask yourselves the following question:

If your characters were riding on horses, wearing full plate armor and carrying lances, instead of sitting in large mechanical warmachines, would you like the setting better then you do right now?

If your answer is Yes, then you might just as well join the game, because the stories I plan to tell would be 95% identical in either case.

Try to see it not so much as Battletech at the Renaissance Fair, and more like The Knights of the Round Table with High Tech Gear.

Tomato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not sure how effective trying to convince someone would be. Some people just don't see the appeal of a large mech-suit. That's ok. I do. More for me Very Happy

And Tenshi...

I'm so glad you see reason.

I was a huge fan of Mechwarrior 4 online stuff, and the mech I always used in free-weight stuff (anyone can bring in any weight class) was the Shadowcat.

I had a hierachy of tech. Light mechs, I always brought the Cougar. Medium was always the Shadowcat. Heavy was always the Thor. Assault was always a Victor. Very Happy

I don't get to geek out often, but I definitely enjoy those chances when I do. Very Happy
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomato wrote:
To be honest, I'm not sure how effective trying to convince someone would be.

That wasn't really supposed to be an attempt to convince anyone.

However, from some of the reactions I got the impression that some of you might have considerably different ideas of how my game would look like than I have myself. That's something I wanted to clear up.

To Spin, I'm basically saying: "If you think you might like this story, then join in!"

Likewise, I'm telling you (Mato): "If you choose to join, expecting this to be very similar to your beloved Battletech, you're likely to be dissapointed."

I know a few things about Battletech, but nowhere near enough to actually run a game set in it. Indeed, I don't know any single Mecha setting well enough to run a game in it. That's why I went ahead and created my own setting. So "canon" is what I say it is!

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my reservations. The way I might play this situation is to watch the first chapter and see if joining in the second would be appropriate - i'd be better not joining a new game starting soon anyway, since I'm going on holiday for a month at the beginning of july.
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, you said Knights of the Round Table and this all changed. First was the idea of MechWarriors searching for the Holy Grail, and then my brain crossed switches and we decided that while Monty Python might have had no trouble with the rabbit, it's not worth the risk of putting John Cleese in charge of high caliber assault weaponry...

Twisted Evil

Okay, I'll try it out.
JackAce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm...

Just to avoid any possible confusion:

I meant the actual Knights of the Round Table, not the Python ones...

Originally, I had planned to compare my setting to the Paladins of Charlemagne, but then changed it to Artur's posse because I expected more people to know them.

I hadn't even thought of Python. (In German, the title of that movie is different, so there's not normally any doubt concerning what is meant).

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: