FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Torchwood - Possible Spoilers Ahoy

Ravenna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Torchwood - Possible Spoilers Ahoy Reply with quote

... Because we didn't have a thread for this delightful show before since it had only just premiered in the US, now seems like the best time to set up a thread for it, since I know Mane and Fable are also fans.

So discuss away! I put up a spoilers warning to be on the safe side because I know the series 2 finale has DEFINITELY aired in the UK, but I don't know if it has aired in the US yet.

Have you seen Exit Wounds yet?
Grimwatch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, NZ is so far behind with some of this stuff its not funny. Suffice to say we dont even have a promised START date for S2 yet.
With that in mind, I will simply say that the internet is my friend, and Ive seen the first two episodes so far. I've enjoyed them to date. If it hooks me like the first season did, I'll imagine I'll be more than happy with it.

Most creeped out by - Countrycide, from Season 1.
Most enjoyed - Kiss kiss bang bang, from Season 2 (So far)

Coach of the Maulers 'n' Brawlers Blood Bowl team - winner of the "Most casualties inflicted on opponents" award for T.A.G 2008, mwahaha...
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little disappointed by some of the writing quality and the (often gaping) plot holes, but those niggles aside, Torchwood has been overall very impressive and highly enjoyable. I'm just glad Dr Who has restarted too =D
unimportant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE Torchwood. I don't like some of the overly dramatic elements to it, but the sci-fi is class A. I think episode 12 just got aired in the US. I missed this week's and last week's though, which bummed me out. I heard they were both, er, pretty 'interesting'.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i definitely wouldn't call the sci fi class A... But that's coming from someone who is very into hard sci fi - Torchwood, like Doctor Who, and most sci fi series, are fairly soft sci fi, which, while entertaining, are really not high in quality compared to some of the old masters of sci fi literature.

Like i said, torchwood's jammed with plot holes, fridge logic moments and out-and-out headdesk moments (one that continues to bug me: owen's thing where he can't give CPR to the dying guy because he has no breath, yet ALL his other voluntary muscles (which includes the diaphragm and other respiratory muscles) work AND HE TALKS which requires him to breathe in and out, for example - CPR would if anythign be MORE effective if the person delivering it was not extracting oxygen from the air...), not to mention some slightly dodgy writing in places...

I'm not saying it's bad - it's not, it's great fun, and it's improved since they realised that they don't actually have to have a gay kiss in EVERY episode, even thoguh they are post-watershed, but it could have been SO much better. Some of the slow burning plotlines are starting to niggle at me, too - they KEEP adding unanswered questions about Jack, and not really answering many of the current ones...
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.

Not much else to say. I'm stuck after Dead Man Walking; haven't found time to watch it without my compy. Sad
unimportant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I sorta liked the mandatory gay kiss...

Well, it's certainly not as in depth as sci-fi gets, so you got me there. And it certainly is on an entirely different continent than well-explained sci-fi. But I still think it's class A because of it's imagination and originality. No, the secret organization hunting aliens isn't original, but I think they way they put it together definitly. That's just my opinion, though!
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't - it smacked of including these things totally gratuitously because of the post-watershed schedule. Same as the sex-monster in the second episode.

Now that the show's settling down it's getting better, though - i expect big things of season 3.

I know, i sound unbelievably contradictory, but...meh. The show really divides me between my enjoyment of it and my sci fi mind going NOOOO!
Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, to be honest when I'm trying to explain it to people, I usually describe it as being a mix of Doctor Who and Queer As Folk, since Davies has written for both (well, he wrote QAF). It's good, camp fun! Plus, I've found it hard to take any kind of sci in sci-fi seriously since Sunshine so meh.
unimportant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, my sister and her friend are such Torchwood fans, that today they were trying to figure out what cookies equated to which characters. My contribution was that Myfanwy would certainly equate to a snickerdoodle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: