FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Member list

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Member list Reply with quote

I was surfing the member list (and I'm number 6 on Total Posts - when did that happen?), and I saw about two pages of members with zero posts. Is this a recent number, or is this the unpurged number? Is Teh Lady or somebody keeping on top of inactive accounts?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Member list Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Is Teh Lady or somebody keeping on top of inactive accounts?

What for?

Would you delete someone's account just for not posting anything?

What I find kind of surprizing is the huge number of new members that signed up in the last couple of days. I signed up only 3 days ago myself, but now there are already 30 more members that came after me.

There were only 20 new sign-ups in the entire month of May, but 42 in only four days of June!

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old forums we had used to have a problem with spam bots, actually. There have been a ton of controls put in place to avoid the spam bots, but every now and again one will slip through. From what I remember, though, there used to be a rule that user accounts with 0 posts would end up being deleted.

The reasoning is, there are no aspects of the forum that require a membership. If all you want to do is lurk, then you're more than welcome to do so, membership has no benefits beyond being able to communicate with the rest of the forum...

I take a neutral strance, m'self. It's not my forum to decide on, but a neat and clean user list does have an appeal I'll admit. Then we run into problems like "buttons" account being deleted, which without knowing why could have just been because it sounded like a spam name...

::shrug:: I've said nothing important. I feel so useless. Razz

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
The reasoning is, there are no aspects of the forum that require a membership. If all you want to do is lurk, then you're more than welcome to do so, membership has no benefits beyond being able to communicate with the rest of the forum...

That's not entirely correct.

Being logged in has the advantage that the forum will indicate which threads have had new posts added to them in your absence.

That's helpful, even if you only want to read and not contribute to the forum, and it's only possible if you're a registered member.

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
cvcdaisy3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people who lurk often enough for that to make a difference at least post an intro, or a question before the time when the zero-post account is deleted.

Besides, if an account is deleted, and a previous lurker wishes to continue using it, said person can create a new one, and that eliminates all other unused accounts. If they want to avoid it happening agin, all they have to do is post.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There still is a rather large spambot problem - but I have very efficient mods and I go through the user list at least every other day and purge the member list of the incredibly obviously named bot accounts.

As far as I know all my mods are in place, so I guess it's an actual person creating all these accounts, either that or spambots are developing AI. Goodness, no.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Lady, according to IEEE Spectrum, the Singularity, where humans create sentient computers and exist in a symbiosis with them is coming very soon....

Maybe these spambots are just forerunners to the coming apocolypse. They're kinda cute....
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day AI spambots will be hunted by AI modtools and fed to the administration with a side order of electrons.

Bet they taste like chicken.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe they just taste like fish.

I actually haven't seen any spambots around, but then again, I've been busy lately, and as the Lady said, the mods are very good at what they do.
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee, it kinda scares me that I know what you're talking about and have read that article...

Mmmm... spambot and chips...
RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we make it so that all members are required to an intro? They could still lurk, so long as they have SOMETHING, too. That way, those pretty, shiny, squeaky botty boys could be more easily seen.

so, all HUMAN members would have 1+ posts, and the botty boys would have a whopping total f 0.
'I want you, bleeders......'
Squeeself

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it scares Squee that Squee remembers these things at the most random times...like this thread...

Squee also thinks it's pretty easy to see a bot...and still, there's no reason to require someone to post. Squee has accounts on many, many forums where Squee just lurks and has never posted...but the account is quite useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: