FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Wink Murder 1: SS Salamander
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Wink Murder 1: SS Salamander Reply with quote

Captain Sara Munroe of the SS Salamander sat on the bridge and stared at the myriad stars visible through the front windows, pondering on the wellbeing of her ship and its crew. She had originally thought the crew was well chosen, a mix of personalities which had complimented each other in pre-mission briefings. But there had been friction lately.
I must be losing my touch, she thought, but then deep space travel did funny things to people. Lord knew she'd seen some crazy things in her time. In the old days they had called it "Cabin Fever" as if it were some tangible disease which could be cured with medicine. Now you just went space crazy. Being cooped up with the same people, in the same place, looking at the same four walls and the endless space outside them did no one's sanity any good.
Let's just get the readings and go home.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
horsin'around

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brushing an invisible dirt stain from her dark green slacks, Tally wandered in the direction of the bridge. Munroe seemed to be a good enough woman and this should be mostly a lark for someone like Tally. Still, as good a woman as Munroe seemed to be, Tally thought it would probably be a good idea to check in with her new Capt. After all, as first mate, they would probably be spending a good deal of time together.

Resisting the compulsive urge to break into some rooms on the way and check belongings--somehow street-life had never let her go--Tally slowly evaluated the ship.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint was, as usual, in the med lab going over his pet project consisting of stimulating bacteria to produce vasopressin and oxytocin in sufficient quantities to induce strong emotional attachment between two organisms--basically a scientific philter. It went completely over the others' heads, though. He wasn't sure if any of them really knew what he was doing. At least they never knew that he was slipping the love potion in their drinks and monitoring their behavior afterwards. He hadn't been able to take his animals with him, and they were the only living organisms onboard besides his bacteria and the plants...

Clint kept his door shut, but light shone through the cracks; it would be very obvious that he was in there working, and he was a very tempting target for those who wanted to visit/annoy another crew member.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Remember the ring jogging bit from 2001: A space Odessy? Yeah, I'm borrowing that...))

Angela was keeping herself active in the way she often spent her free time. Each step along her jog matched a rhythm she had established years ago, and was accented by the small white bulb hanging out from her ear. Anyone close enough could probably hear a strange "Techno/Classic" mixture being played at a normal volume, though her other ear was free to hear shipboard announcements.

As she jogged, she kept her eyes straight ahead of her and breathed in the same rhythmic pattern she had memorized. Her feet drummed against the padded floor, cushioned by unassuming looking white sneakers. Otherwise her features were pale, accented by the knee-length black track shorts and the dark green tank top she wore. For her morning jog, her shoulder length red hair was tied back into a casual braid, which swung back and forth with her rhythm.

To anyone watching, she would appear quite dedicated to her jogging, which was not surprising given how she burried herself in her work as the ship's analyst. It was also a fairly normal routine for her to jog before a shower, and then her on-duty shift...

((Apologies for lack of seeing into the character's mind. I promise more of it next post, but I'm still dusting her off. She's been in mothballs for over a year, ^_^; ))

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam's acute hearing succeeded in picking up a steady thumping over the sound of the engine, which was increasing in volume. He peered around the mass in the center of the room just in time to see a redhead bounce past the engine room. He smiled, always surprised at the dedication to exercise some people have. Sam never saw much purpose in building up muscles, partly because his job kept him as fit as he needed to be, and partly because, well, what's the point of being fit to run when you're in a spaceship?

Turning back to the matter at hand, the engineer contemplated the compression coil he was holding. He spun it around in his hands, wondering what had gone wrong with it.
"Farhen!" He called to the girl in the other side of the room. "Can you bring me that magnetic screwbar over there, please?"
Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindsay's head snapped up upon hearing Sam's voice say her name. Closing her notebook, she got up from where she had been copying down the registration information on a box of bolts and scurried over to the compartment where the various sorts of screwbars usually lived, sifting around for the right one.

"Its the one with the orange handle, right?" she asked, holding the one in question up for him to glance at. One of the bolts she was still holding in her hand zoomed up to the magnetic head as her finger slipped and hit the 'on' switch. Lindsay smiled and stood, walking over to Sam slowly enough to give her time to pry the bolt off of the tool. She gave a halfhearted "Tada" as she handed it to him.

"Any luck?" she asked, taking her notebook out and jotting down 'orange- magnetic screwbar' in a margin.
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mm, not really." Sam replied. "It's a good thing you saw the faulty reading, or I wouldn't have noticed a problem and the coil might have blown. As it is, I can't seem to find anything wrong with this. That's why I need a look inside."

Using the screwbar, Sam deftly extracted the bolts holding the coil together. It fell open in his hands, and after a few seconds of looking, he pointed at a small yellow cylinder.

"See that?" He asked Lindsay. "That's the Aberan cycler. Do you know what it's supposed to look like?" Sam smiled to himself, wondering if she would fall for it or not.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((I almost don't want to post again, after 2 posts from everyone the killing begins ;_Wink)

She finished her morning exercise right on schedule, which she knew by the quiet beeping on her headset. Completing one last lap around her jogging course, she grabbed her towel from where she had left it and began toward her room for a shower.

After her shower, she exited her room in proper uniform and checked her wrist-mounted comm unit. A slim display told her the time, and she couldn't help but smile to herself.

Right on time, she thought as she adjusted her collar properly.

Now wearing an outfit that looked more proper of a ship's data analyst, she made her way calmly to the bridge. Her mostly-dry hair was held in a messy bun with two thin wooden sticks threaded through it to hold it up. As she stepped onto the bridge, she noticed both the captain and first officer.

Ugh, people. At least they're officers, though.

Angela forced a smile, and gave a wave to the other two women, before ducking the rest of the room and heading for her small section of the bridge terminals.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara stood and surveyed her first mate. The woman seemed dependable despite her less-than-reputable past. Sara had never judged on past mistakes and was not about to start now.
"So, anything to report? How do the crew seem to you?"
She spared but a glance at her data analyst as she walked over to her post.

spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((I hope no-one was supposed to be a vegetarian...))
Adella looked through the storage of food they had left. Enough for the end of the trip, but what to make tonight?
Adella began humming Beethoven's Symphony number 9, and puzzled quietly.
Pork chops or steak? Pork chops weren't dry in space, for whatever reason, so she couldn't do wrong, but what if they wanted something heartier?
Steak or pork chops? Steak, or...pork chops....?
She looked through the other perishable items. She knew that the Med officer had wanted her to have "Correctly-portion/rationed" food, to get the "established amounts" of "required nourishment" for the crew....
Adella sighed....
Steak it was.
She wished they had some mushrooms....
She rooted through the stash she had brought for her own uses and selected a few foods.
She pulled out some bell peppers of different colors and turned on the stove. She then sliced onions along with the peppers and pulled out some strips of beef that had been pre-cooked. She poured a small amount of oil into a skillet, and set down the beef strips with the peppers and onion....
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well, for starters... uhh... not... yellow?" She pursed her lips in a mock-ponderous fashion. "Or... cylindrical? Oh yeah, it definitely shouldn't be those. ...Nope! No idea. Aberan sounds more like a brand of canned tuna to me. That must have been in Section 4, I never got around to reading Section 4. No pictures."

Lindsay fell back into a chair, her pen poised over her notebook after writing 'Aberan cycler (READ SECTION FOUR FOR GODS SAKE)' as a title on the next page.
horsin'around

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So, how do the crew look? Anything to report?" Tally nervously twitched the collar on her jacket straight and said as casually as she could, "Everything seems to be in order. I took a quick...peek around the ship to examine everything, and well, everything seems fine. Our engineers are already at the controls and kicking." She scrutonised her Captain closely. "The data analysist is putting us all to shame with that work-out. Anything you need me to do, ma'am? "

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Maeniel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smell of dinner wafted through the vents into the med lab. Hurrying, Clint harvested about 10mL of vasopressin and put it into a vial. Quickly putting away his bacteria cultures, he left the med lab and went to the kitchen. He would give this to Sam and see if his behavior towards his assistant changed. Hopefully, the chemical would make him more attracted to and protective of her. Knocking on the door, he let himself into the kitchen. Sam wouldn't even taste the stuff if it were mixed in with something, and there wasn't enough for it to smell or be visible.

"Hey, um...Adella? Could you put this in Sam's dinner? He's a bit deficient in some nutrients, so I went ahead and prepared some vitamin supplements. You can put it in his drink or food or whatever, but could you make sure he gets it?" Clint just stood there awkwardly in the door, his lab coat a pristine white. He wasn't very good with people.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angela, sitting at the data terminal, overheard the indirect praise from the first officer. She couldn't help herself but to smile, though tried to hide it from the other two.

Just because we're stuck on a ship for long stretches of time, doesn't mean we can't stay in shape. Best to be prepared, as mother said.

She resumed sifting through the sensor logs and categorizing them, sorting them according to classification of anomaly. It was probably one of the most tedious, unappreciated roles on the ship... and it also was one of the most important, in her eyes.

Scientists back home will be eagerly awaiting these reports, a mountain of new data to sort and catalog! All the discoveries our small vessel will bring to light, new technologies maybe!

Her swell of science-nerd pride was cut short by the delicious smell of one of the most simply wonderful dishes known to all creation.

"Oooh, bell peppers and beef tonight..." she mused to herself, or to the captain and first mate, or to nobody... it was hard to tell, she could be a bit eccentric when she was staring into the hundred-or-so lines of code on her screen.

Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara turned at the sound of Angela's musings, momentarily confused as to how the data analyst knew, but then she too smelt the tantalising aromas from the galley.
"Mmmm, smells like Adella's done us proud again."
At least I chose the cook well.
"Doubtless she'll call us to dinner soon. Please excuse me, there is something I must attend to."
She nodded to the other women and took her leave, hurrying rather faster than was usual to her quarters.
When she got there she closed the door behind her and locked it. None of the crew had ever seen inside her quarters and for good reason. She crossed the small room to a cupboard set into the opposite wall and opened it to reveal a tank containing some sand and a few logs. She peered under one of them and found what she was looking for.
"There you are Prince! See what I have for you? Some lovely steak! Don't tell, my beauty, I don't think the crew would appreciate me filching some of their dinner to feed you." She tore the meat up into tiny pieces and scattered them in the tank. There was a dry rustling and a hairy leg emerged from under a log. It was about 2inches long and was attached to a spider the size of her hand.
Sara smiled as her Prince began to gather up his dinner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: