FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Bering RP: First Steps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Rolaoi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna stepped off of the elevator and into the engine room. It didn't seem anyone was here yet. She found a schematic behind glass hanging on the wall. Inspecting it she began to get a feel of what did what and where it was. She saw the reactor which would begin the cold start. It explained the helmets and ear-guards hanging near by, she thought. She took one from its hook and left it hanging on her belt as she turned to get to work.

"Wo ist Thieli?" She wondered as she inspected the various gauges and machines. At a few she paused to tighten or loosen a valve, but most everything seemed in order already.

(Engine room)

Where is Thieli?
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Feaelen

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli looked down at Johanna as she stepped into the engine room. Thieli watched as she picked up her safety equipment and then proceeded to inspect the engine. The girl didn't appear to realize she was being watched from above but at least she appeared to know what she was doing.

Thieli heard the call go out over the intercom asking for an update, therefore she swiftly checked to make sure the valve she was near was in order before heading towards the intercomm from her "standpoint" across the room.

As she moved Thieli spoke to Johanna, "Ah Johanna, glad you were prompt. Please continue checking the valves and dials on that level in preparation for launch." Thieli made a strange arobatic move and dropped with a thump to the floor before standing from her crouch and turning her head to look back over her shoulder at Johanna, a strange almost manical grin (that revealed a row of pointy teeth) still in place. "We will not be long resting here and there will be much to do once the launch sequence is started."

Thieli pressed the button on the comm system and replied to the enquirey, "Head Enginer Thieli here. Please inform the Captain I estimate reaching full power 27 minutes after initialization of cold start. Please confirm with the Captain when I should initiate cold start."

While Thieli waited for a repy she pulled the protective helmet from the case and clipped it to her work harness for easy access prior to launch.

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sudden appearance of Thieli caused Hanna to gasp and jump. She spun to look at Thieli. She looked at her with a mixture of worry and disgust. That grin was slightly unnerving.

"Oh...ja...Frau." The ja was drawn out, and she realized she was speaking German. "I mean, yes ma'am." Before turning to get back to work. She went back to work, now more alert. Creepy little thing, she thought.

(Engine room)
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Captain, engine room reports full burn in twenty-seven minutes time. Shall I pass the order to initiate cold start?"

He continued his pre-flight checks as he asked this, double-checking full fuel load, ensuring all the airlocks were tight and sealed.

((Are we on a space station, or a planet, I forget? I need to know for my next post))
Tomato

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jameson looked around the bridge and breathed deeply of the air within. It felt good, being here. He found a moment to appreciate the fact that he, once again, on a ship. What adventures he could have! What money could he make? All of these things paled though, to simply just having the freedom to direct his own course. It was, simply exhilarating.

He looked hard at Gibbs, as if evaluating the man's question for the sake of the man himself.

He pulled down the communications radio. "We'll be lighting the reactor soon, everyone make sure you have your ears covered and such, and if you've never been through a cold start before: brace yourself."

"Mr. Gibbs, if you would, light us up."
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Aye sir." Gibbs looked forward to this moment - it was something of a thrill sending a massive explosion through the ship's reactor to get her awake. He pulled a set of wax ear plugs from his pocket and jammed them in his ears - they'd been in his wash kit for whilst he slept, but they'd do for a cold start as well. it was fortuitous he'd thought to bring them up.

"Engine room, we are ready for a cold start. Initiating." he sent across the telephone. Then a twisted a few knobs and, carefully watching on of the smaller dials to the right of his console, waited a few seconds before throwing a lever just beneath the dial.

((Mato, describing the start is yours, I think =D))
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah brought out the range-issue earplugs her uncle had given her when he heard she be going out on a fresh ship, and swallowed. She hated launch. Hated it, and this would be worse. Cold start. Ech.

"Baruch atah Hashem, Elokeinu melech haolam..."

{{SHe's starting the blessing one makes on a dangerous undertaking. I don't exactly know what that is, but it exists, and she's saying it. If she's not Jewish, I'll edit it out. But that depends on Matoto's answer to my question in OOC...}}

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna slipped on her muffs. They were large and bulky, but they blocked out all the sound from the outside. All she could now hear was the pumping on blood in her own body. It was a little spooky.

She began to go over a start-up check-list in her head, running from one valve or gauge to another making sure it all looked right. Most looked right, but some required her to stop and adjust a thing or two. When all this was done, she walked towards one of the strap in seats. She sat and connected the X-shaped belt in the middle. Johanna took a deep breath to try and calm her excited heart.

"So es beginnt." But she couldn't hear her own words.

(engine room)
So it begins
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien peaked one eye open, as the dismebodied voice crackled across the PA system. As he listened to the announcement, he felt life returning to his tired body with a bit a grin.

Do what you were trained to do, make your country proud soldier! his drill instructor, from a couple thousand miles away and many years ago, bellowed.

"Sir, yes sir," he said quietly and calmly.

He reached down the neck of his shirt to pull out a neckchain, normally not visible. Upon this neckchain were only three objects: his old dog-tags, a small cross made of what appeared to be wood, and a tiny black case. Opening the case, he withdrew two small wax plugs (ignoring a third small sliver of metal) and fitted them to his ears.

"One for the money..." he said, checking his harness to be sure it was properly buckled. "Two for the show..." he murmured, continuing to check his fittings, finalizing anything that needed to be secured. "Three to get ready..." he closed the small black case and grasped the controls of his gunnery position, to steady his hands.

And four, let's go.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Feaelen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli nodded at the order and replied, "Initiating cold start now."

She thumbed off the com link and put her helmet on, and turned watching as Johanna checked the levels and then strapped herself in. Thieli looked closer at Johanna just to make sure she was fully strapped in and then moved towards the main control panel and keyed in the sequence to initiate cold start.

Thieli smiled widely as she felt the first rumblings of the reaction and moved towards the other strap in point and strapped herself in. She also set a timer on her belt to start, so she could monitor the levels and the countdown.

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sparrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvy envied the engineers at this point- how fascinating this procedure was. Having gone though the drills a million times in school, Jarvy had only once been in a cold start before. And she had been in charge of it, exhilarated and scared.

Here, she hadn't said a word, and things were happening elsewhere. The bridge was relatively quiet besides Gibbs' voice, and it seemed like it was much more exciting when you were down in the engine room. Guess I do miss engineering a little. OK, a lot. Hopefully Thieli won't mind me badgering her with questions later. And the Capitan will actually give me something to do.

She sighed and strapped herself into her seat, envying Gibbs' earplugs. Foresight must be nice. She leaned back and rested her elbows on the arms of the seat, trying to get into a comfortable position with her fingers in her ears.
Tomato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Gibbs hit the knobs, a couple of gauges on a select panel started a bit of activity. They slowly started rising, with more and more energy and pressure building up. The bridge radio crackled with static.

"DSS Bering, we're reporting a power spike in your reactor. Stage one, it seems. You're clear for full power up. We're unlocking the capacitors now. Cover your ears. Countdown in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6....

KA-BOOM!

The entire hull rattled with the effects of the nuclear blast echoing in the blast chamber and throughout the ship. Outside monitors showed a small shockwave ripple out from the ship.

Inside, Captain Jameson felt slightly sick, the blast was contained as completely as possible, but still enough energy rippled through his body as to upset his stomach and circulatory system. It was something common that people would need to deal with on the ship. Still, it effected everyone differently. Some would feel mildly exhilarated, others would feel violently ill. Jameson felt the edge of a headache coming on.

He looked at Gibbs idly. "Mr. Gibbs, get a status report from engineering and keep them coming. I wanna know how far along we are."

Looking to Jarvy, the captain's blue eyes flashed slightly with some indeterminate emotion. "Ms. Heit, would you coordinate with the tower and Mr. Gibbs, relaying our status? I'm going to be in the map room for the next few moments if anyone needs me."

He'd give the crew another moment to acknowledge his orders or voice their concerns before to turning to leave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Down in engineering, the stage one reactor hummed smoothly, breaking down the elemental fuel it carried on board. Everything would be proceeding quite well and as planned. Thieli would need to put in minimal effort, and in fact her engineering aide may not be needed until launch. Alternatively, if Thieli felt to be suffering from Start Sickness, Johanna would be able to cover for her without issue.

Anyone on board may choose to suffer any degree of start sickness. If they so choose, it can even be serious enough to see the ship doctor about.

The common solution to this problem would be to simply walk it off, or maybe get some liquids in them. If they are feeling especially ill, then there are some syringe-injected sedatives that may offer a bit of comfort.
Feaelen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli drummed her fingernails on her thighs as she felt the energy build up to the initial boom after which she chuckled appreciatively. There was something strange in the energy of the start up that just sent her all a jitter, in a good way.

This strange "gift" was one of the many things her Matron looked for in a Head Engineer, indeed cold start of a ship was the final testing phase of her training, it was required of all would be Head Engineers on her Matron's ships.

Thieli simultaneously scanned the dials and the valves around the engine room as her eyes moved independently. Everything appeared to be running smoothly so she looked towards Johanna to make sure the launch sequence wasn't affecting her adversely.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien leaned back into his seat, exhaling slowly through his mouth. He let his eyes close as the energy washed over him, and left his body in a rather messy state of disarray. His vision blurred, his hearing was littered with echos, and even his tactile sensations were...enhanced.

He sat there, letting the effects fade slowly on their own, keeping his sanity in check by counting backwards from one hundred. A little trick his drill instructor had taught them, if the affects of a cold start were particularly severe, was to count large numbers in reverse to focus the mind.

For the next fifteen minutes or so Damien did just that, unless someone sought to check up on him.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah was so intent on settling her stomach from nerves that she nearly forgot to brace for cold start. Whatever that was supposed to be like. As it was, the energy blast took her by complete surprise and she bit through her tongue.

"...Applehauthe."

It was a good thing she never ate before launch anyway, because now her stomach was heaving enough to pull its moorings. The straps securing her burst apart in a flash of purple and she fled to the wastebasket, emptying the tea of fifteen minutes ago into it. The caustic acid burned her tongue and mixed with the coppery blood in her mouth, causing more dry heaves. Breathing deeply and resting her head on the floor where she knelt, Leah got herself back under control. After a moment or two, she got up and went over to the sink, rinsing her mouth and examining her tongue. It wasn't too bad. The bleeding was already beginning to stop, and in a few minutes she'd be fine. The hardest part would be trying not to swallow. Leah returned to her chair with a bottle of water and waited for the normal gravitational acrobatics to commence. The sooner that started, signaling the initiation of the launch sequence, the sooner it would be over.

{{Re: blood. Jews can't eat blood. So what about the blood in our bodies? As long as it hasn't left the body, it's okay. So no sucking on a paper clip. But Leah's wound was internal! Well, internal-ish. Since it's in her mouth, if she swallowed some involuntarily, it would be okay, but she's going to try to avoid it anyway. The 'bottle' is some sort of test tube, she just filled it at the sink. And I've waited since the beginning of the RPG to say 'applesause' as an expletive. ^______^}}

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.

Last edited by Asa on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: