FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

"This American Life"

Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: "This American Life" Reply with quote

For anybody who doesn't live in the states, we have this wonderful radio program on National Public Radio (NPR) called "This American Life". It tends to be very thought provoking or just generally humorous stuff, no cursing that I can recall... pretty wholesome stuff, on the whole.

Anyway, this segment was sent to me by a friend through e-mail, and it actually...totally floored me. Figured I'd share with the class.

It has some fairly religious elements, but if you step back and take religious prejudices out of it, and just listen and contemplate the story, it's...I dunno. It's one of those moments of clarity in life. One of those things that you know is true as soon as you hear it. Totally floored me.

Here's the link again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8wWMbo8gUM

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This American Life has a whole bunch of fascinating stories. The only problem is Ira Glass. I can't stand listening to the man's voice. It's like listening to fingernails scratching a blackboard. Gurk. So I'm a big fan of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" instead. ^_^
Violabelle

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, I love Ira Glass. Sad

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the guy's voice...dunno what your problem is Tin Smile Of course, it sometimes puts Squee to sleep when Squee's listening, but yeah. One of the best radio programs out there Smile
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't listen to the radio much, but that was really good. I'll have to search stations. What time does it come on?

and I can't stand Ira Glass's voice either, you're not alone Tin!
Violabelle

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use iTunes, you can get This American Life (as well as Wait Wait Don't Tell Me) as a podcast. My other favorite NPR ones are the News from Lake Woebegone and Cartalk.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartalk is pure AWESOME SAUCE. Squee is NOT a car person, and never will be. Squee doesn't know the first thing about cars, and find people who talk about them exceptionally dull...EXCEPT for Cartalk. It's a hilarious (and informative!) show. Squee highly recommends it as well Smile
unimportant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartalk is also my favorite. I always see the two guys as way different than they actually are though, I'm so thrown off when I actually see their pictures.

Living in Minnesota, I got to go see Garrison Keillor perform a "News from Lake Woebegone" show live, and that was an amazing experience. They got a guy in the background with and inventory of a junkshop (so it seems) laid out in front of him and he does ALL the sound effects, it's so cool!

My mom and dad actually met him, though, at the Grandview movie theater once. It's this sort of decrepit old movie theater, but historic. My dad introduced himself and said he liked his work and all that, and Mr. Keilleor was really polite and nice. But then, during the movie, my dad noticed that he had fallen asleep ^^
Violabelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, well, he works hard... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: