FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Bering RP: First Steps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'll bear that in mind. it's the sort of arrangement I was expecting actually." ((In my experience, there's a snack cupboard in the ship's mess (rather than the galley, but I don't think there would be the space in the mess) where any leftovers from the day's meal as well as some biscuits, tea, coffee etc would be stored))

He poured the tea for the three present, taking the time to ensure a proper cup was ready. ((Should there be milk or not... I'm thinking a few bottles fresh and the rest condensed or powdered) He added the luxury of fresh milk to his, as well as a lot of sugar, and sipped with pleasure as the others took their cups.

A new crew member came in. Another woman. This ship had more women than men, this voyage was doomed... A small but growing part of his brain pooh-poohed that superstition though ((which has been there longer than just his serving time on board this ship, just to be clear)) - plenty of ships sailed the skies nowadays with female crew, even female captains, and they did so successfully.

"Miss von Sachsen. Nice to see you again. I trust you found the Captain." He smiled. "May I offer you some tea before we launch - there's some hot water left, and it wouldn't do to waste it before I wash up the kettle."
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah looked up and smiled from where she was kneeling on the floor next to a cabinet. "Hello, Johanna, I'm Dr. Leah Gregory. Forgive me for not repeating your last name, I'm really bad with accents, and I hesitate to mangle it." As she spoke she got up, dusted off her hands and offered one to shake after Damien. Around the kitchen, doorhandles began to glow a slight lavender and snick into place in sequence, locking themselves against launch. It looked like a ripple of purple fireflies lighting up and then going out again, sweeping around the kitchen from one end to the other, and the sound of the locking handles made a rustling noise as they overlapped and blended into one another. Leah smiled suddenly at the image in her head, and glanced over her shoulder at the now-inert counters.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From navigation, Captain Jameson Eisner pulled up the radio to his mouth and tried to imagine himself speaking clearly. It was a silly little exercise that he recalled practicing from early days as a pilot, using a radio microphone for the first time.

"This is your captain. We'll be taking off in about an hour. If everyone would be so kind, please head to your posts."

Lift-off is an odd endeavor, because for a ship of such mass as the Bering, leaving a planet requires an inordinate amount of thrust. The G-forces alone placed on the human body could get to be outright destructive. To compensate, some species created special body-suits to pressurize the body and keep it whole. Some species created special seats that absorb a large amount of the shock. Humans came up with an ingenius shipboard feature to generate gravitational effect field that lowers the total mass of the ship. Using the same system that creates the onboard gravity and almost the entire power production of the 2nd and 3rd stage engine power production it generates a mass reduction field that encompasses the entire ship. With a lower total mass, there's less thrust and force required to lift the ship off the planet.

For the crew, this simply meant finding comfortable seats and strapping in. The pilot, first mate, and captain would have prepped seats on the bridge; the gunnery staff would have room in the turrets, the engineering staff in engineering, and the doctor in medical. People looking for seats would find also a few pulldown seats with appropriate straps in the kitchen and dining hall as well.

"We'll be lifting off in exactly 67 minutes. I want people ready and in their seats with all systems go at least a good 30 minutes before that."
Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Capitan's voice faded over the intercom as Jarvy stood up from where she had been stowing her gear. She looked around- everything was secure and would not dislodge on take off. The walls were still bare, which irked her. But what she considered her 'uniform' was hung up and unwrinkled, and her more casual clothes folded in drawers. She had brought some candles for when the harsh lights of the ship got on her nerves, and some paints for free time. Besides that, Jarvy admitted to herself that she had underpacked.

As she walked down the hall she pursed her lips and let her mind wander. She had no gauge on this man, the Capitan, besides his resume. It worried her a little.
Two deep breaths later, her mind was more clear and focused. Find out as you go along, adapt and perfect. Think on your feet. This last thought had been the only advice her last commanding officer had given her, and she had taken it to heart. She relaxed as she walked.

She had been looking forward to sitting in the First Mate's chair for a long time now, and as she entered the bridge and approached it, she relished the feeling of the material as she slowly sat herself down. Looking over at the Capitan, she smiled.

"How do you do?"
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thank-you, Leah." She smiled at the doctor, "It's nice to meet you Mr Raude. It's nice to meet both of you." and she shook both their hands in turn.

Hanna turned to Gibbs, "Yes, thank-you for your offer, Mr Gibbs." She began to prepare her tea when the Captain's voice sounded over the intercom. She took a deep breath and then let it out audibly. Then, deciding she had enough time, continued to finish making her tea.

She sipped her tea while watching Leah work busily. Hanna wanted to offer to help, but she didn't think Leah would accept it, so she continued to only watch. Hanna had a slight feeling of comradeship with this woman; they both were working occupations traditionally held by men.

Finishing her tea she walked towards the sink where she washed her cup, and turning to Leah, "Where do you want these stored, Leah?"
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Third drawer to the left of the sink. Just put it upside down in an empty spot, thanks." That particular drawer had a series of indentations in the bottom to hold the tea mugs so they wouldn't rattle. "Make sure you twist the handle first to unlock it, and lock it again after. Wouldn't do to have shattered tea mugs all over the floor, now would it?" She smiled to take any possible sting out of her words, and went to the door. "Mr. Gibbs, the kettle goes in the bottom cabinet next to this cupboard here - " she slapped a hand against the side of the soon-to-be snack cabinet " - and the strainer goes into the drawer to the left of the mugs. Tea goes back where I got it from. I'm going over to the infirmary to give it one last look over before launch." She refrained from giving more basic instructions about launch comfort. It wouldn't win her any friends and was most likely unnecessary.

The infirmary was in perfect order, of course, and she had time to go back to her room for a bit before strap-down. Her bed wasn't made yet, her solidly-built steamer was wedged between the wall and the bed and wouldn't move during launch, and all her wardrobe doors were locked down. Taking out a book, Leah went back to the infirmary and sat in the padded surgery chair. Why spend the money to make a chair that would only be used twice when there was one already in production? The thing was meant to be a table, but it folded into a chair for storage and launch duty. It left more walking room that way. And for dental work, though she couldn't really do more than identify basic problems. In any case, the chair had pockets at the foot of it, to hold a medical clipboard, but it worked in storing general literature as well.

Leah growled and knocked herself on the side of the head. "Stop babbling, Leah," she muttered in an undertone, "It can't be any worse than last time. Tch. Doesn't stop it from being nerve-wracking, though." It was more than the stresses of launch. She was a gravity manipulator, and as such was a bit more aware of the phenomenon than most. The massive gravity pull of launch, and the attendant manipulation by the ship's instruments, always left her queasy and feeling a bit peculiar. It faded within an hour, but it was unpleasant while it lasted.

Settling herself into the plastic-coated chair, Leah did up most of the straps and opened her book to read. She would finish strapping down in twenty minutes or so, and spend the last half-hour forcing herself not to be sick.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was slightly annoyed by the tone, but she shrugged it off as effects from her use of her implant. It always gave her a slight to severe high followed by an equal crash and head-ache.

"Thank-you." She put the cup away while making sure to follow the instructions. When she was finished, she turned to Gibbs and Damien, "I'm sorry to have to leave so suddenly, but the Captain has given his orders." And she left the galley walking swiftly.

She stopped at Thieli's door and peeped in, "I'm going to check on the guns to make sure everything is in order, but I'll join you soon in the engines." Hanna stepped into the elevator. A sudden weakness ran through her and she had to lean on the wall to prevent herself from falling. She must have strained herself more than she suspected back in the engine room.

"Beruhig, Johanna." The spell soon passed and she stood. The door opened to the guns.

Hanna began to inspect over the systems and check to make sure everything, especially the ammuntion, was secure. Satisfied, she returned to the elevator. She now needed to join the rest of the engineering crew in the engines. The doors closed.

(Guns>Engine room)

Steady, Johanna
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Sorry, been having trouble working out a post. I think I've lost my mind over a girl, of all things))

Damien sipped at his tea quietly, watching the departing women and returning or offering goodbyes as neccesary. After which, he seemed to be lost somewhere in his own mind for the moment, still sipping quietly at the tea cup (which was again cupped in both hands).

Silence, he reminded himself, is a sign that all things are as they should be. Calamity and chaos are both noisy...

At that thought, he couldn't help but to smile a bit. Since nobody was running up and down the hallway screaming orders and yelling for help, the ship was likely as ready as it was going to be. And as for gunnery positions, well, they were rather useless during the take-off procedure if all went properly and well.

"You know, Barry, you might be onto something with this tea business. It does wonders to clear the mind," he said and finished his cup.

It would take him a few moments to clean the cup and set it properly back in storage, and he made effort to give Mr. Gibbs plenty of time to respond. This should allow them both ample time to make it to their assigned positions for launch, also.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tomato

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jameson had just finished making the weight adjustment calculations for the mass reduction field - a job typically completed by the pilot or first mate - when Jarvy came to the deck.

He looked over to his first mate and arched an eyebrow at her question.

"I do well, madam."

It slightly struck him then, that Jarvy was going to be his first mate, and yet he knew relatively little about her personality or personal story. He knew what she had done, what she was capable of, but ... nothing more than that. He would need to ensure he could rely on her. He'd need to test that eventually, but for now, better to just find out from here.

"And how, if I may ask, are you?"
Feaelen

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli looked up from her musings when the Captain's voice came over the intercom. She looked her room over once more, noting that her things were secure and then turned to head down to the engine room as Johanna stopped by her door.

Thieli nodded to the girl and, "I will start the preparations, but I expect you there promptly." Thieli's response was curt and to the point, a strange counterpoint to her earlier friendly behaviour.

Thieli shut the door to her room and entered the engine room. She walked around the engine first, checking the panels to make sure all levels read normal, and then began her finer examination. She swung up onto a pipe that ran to the ceiling and began inspecting to make sure all the connections were properly snug.

Thieli let a predatory grin spread across her face, she was in her element now.

((When Johanna walks into engineering she may not initially see Thieli as she is hanging upside down, by her tail, near the ceiling, checking on a pressure valve))

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The British Empire was built on cups of tea, Mr Raude. It works wonders. I like to think that it's a small contribution the Colonies can make to the success of humanity's foray into space, as well."

Like those before him, Gibbs took the time to wash up after himself and make sure that everything was locked tight for launch. it shouldn't be rough, but nothing was certain.

He made his way swiftly to the bridge. There wasn't much time before the Captain's deadline, and the pre-flight checks would take him nearly that long anyway. He nodded to the captain and... the woman, Miss Heit, was the mate? he shook his head mentally. "Sir, ma'am. Do I have your approval to begin pre-flight checks?" he said with a small half-bow.
Tomato

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The captain stood silent as the pilot came up to he and Jarvy, asking about preflight checks. The captain looked at Jarvy, then Gibbs, and nodded.

"Go ahead. Also, ping engineering and have Theili call up reactor status? Tell her I want an estimated time to full production from cold start. One more thing. You may want to put out an all decks announcement that we're going to be hitting cold start soon. For the people who haven't been on a ship for one, they can be a little unsettling. They may want to cover their ears ... or... something. "

The captain thought for a moment.

"Belay... err... Hold back on that last part, actually. We'll wait til we actually start up the reactor before I have you do that."
Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvy's response of "Oh, good, settling in and the like-" was interrupted by Gibb's arrival. She nodded back at him.

Gibbs looked experienced, she thought, and the half-memory of scanning over his file confirmed that impression. Jarvy was excited to see just what this man was capable of. That thought reminded herself of her main problem- proving herself to the rest of the crew. It presented a challenge, and she had no doubt it would hold especially with this man. Oh well- one worry at a time.

She turned back to the Capitan, a slight tick in her mind wondering how formal her role would be- it seemed to her that what he was instructing Gibbs was more suited for her. Maybe this man ran a looser chain of command than she was used to, or maybe he didn't quite trust her untested metal yet. Not that this was anything difficult, but still... Jarvy continued to over analyze the situation in the back of her mind, still trying to piece together her impression of the Capitan.

As he talked, her eyes scanned over the bridge, enjoying the feel of the room. It was efficiently designed and looked like it would hold up in dire situations. The metal gleamed in the places it was finished, but one or two control panels were open to exposed wiring, and Jarvy made a mental note to ask the Capitan about them.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Yay! I get to shoot off a quick post before work, and not miss doing my own launch post! -Joy-))

Damien had followed Mr. Gibbs from the galley, making a quick side-trip into his room to ensure that his bags were as properly stowed as they were going to be. Having only his training to rely on, he had them buckled down in a corner against two walls, which to his inexperienced mind aught to be plenty.

After ensuring they were buckled down, he checked the in-room clock and nodded to himself. He had just enough time to move over to the sink and run some cold water. Producing from his pocket a comb, he then made effort to comb his hair and make sure he was as presentable as possible. Another bit of straightening up his shirt and trousers, and he replaced the comb in his pocket. With one final inspection of his appearance, he shut off the water and nodded again, before heading for the bridge.

As he jogged to the elevator, he was counting seconds in his head. The seconds ticked by as the elevator arrived, and slowly moved it's way back up the shaft, to which he couldn't help but grin.

"Exactly two minutes, Raude! You're going to be two minutes early for your own funeral, Raude! Keep up that good work, soldier! Ooh-ra!" he remembered his drill instructor a clearly as day.

And ironically, at exactly two minutes and fifteen seconds early for launch, he stepped off the elevator and onto the bridge. He two a handful of steps into the bridge, and his reflex of a stiff salute nearly overtook him. His feet came together with a slightly audible clack, and he visibly had to stop his hand from snapping up in a salute. For a moment he looked quite sheepish, before clearing his throat.

"Gunnery reporting, sir. We will be ready for launch thirty minutes early, as requested."

Obviously a bit embarassed by the slip-up, he then excused himself to the lead gunnery turret and strapped himself into the thick leather chair. He rest his hands idly on the dual sticks for the direct turret control.

Don't be so caught up in the past, he chided himself, as he let his implant send trickles of electricity down his arms and through his fingers. The sensation was like both limbs falling asleep, which was uncomfortable enough. Then, once the electricity made contact with the metal controls for the massive weapons, it was like his arms were waking back up...something akin for fire in one's veins. As the implant continued to churn out electrical current, his hands and his eyes began to take on an unnatural cobalt glow.

After about thirty seconds, he grimaced and ceased the function of his implant, the glow fading quickly. Making mental note that the gunnery position had nothing he could muck with in terms of implant usage, he sighed and relaxed into the chair and it's harness.

"Well," he mused almost inaudibly to himself, "all the exploring that leaves is confirming my side arm with the captain. After launch, Raude, after launch..."

Then he drifted into a sort of half-awake state, the after effect of pushing his implant's current down the turret. He had thirty minutes to wait, and then a pretty show to watch, but for his part was hopefully not going to be doing too much.

((And I'm on autopilot. I'm so excited, though! We're launching! Very Happy))

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs took his seat and began to run through his pre-flight checks. He confirmed the functioning of his control surfaces ((i'm presuming, since the kitchen cooker is working, as well as all the lights etc, that there's at least some backup/battery power while the reactor's off in order to work everything.)), checked his hull pressure and atmospheric readouts, all the little niggling details that needed confirming before takeoff.

As requested, he picked up the telephone unit and called down to engineering. "Engineer Theili, the Captain requires an estimate for time to full power from cold, please, at your earliest convenience."

He'd cold started reactors frequently - frigates were kept powered down whilst inboard - and the experience, while a touch violent, was not hugely dreadful. He was confident those on board would survive, but it might offend the sensibilities of the ladies a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: