FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Bering RP: First Steps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Feaelen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((THI-eelee is probably the best way to go about pronuciation))

Thieli nodded curtly to Gibbs as a reply and then turned to Leah and as she spoke her skin shifted a few shades and dot patterns to a more yellow and pink, "Not to worry Leah, I have a feeling we may all be taking some time getting used to pronunciations."

Thieli, was watching Gibbs and noticed how he reacted in a strange manner especially toward Leah and then the new female, who introduced herself as Jervy Heit, but then exhibited a more relaxed manner towards the new male. She pondered the strangeness of his reactions, as she listened to the captain's reintroduction, especially since he hadn't reacted in such a way to her. She would have to question him on it later.

Thieli turned to the two late arrivals and introduced herself, "Hello Jervy and Damien, I'm Thiele the head engineer, it will be an honour working with you both."

She then quickly turned to the captain with her question, "I assume then that the cabin I requested is fine by you Jameson?"

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sparrow

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvy smiled and nodded to every person present, and turned to Thieli with another smile, "As far as pronunciations go, Thieli, it's Jarvy. Nice to finally meet you all face to face, I think we've got a bang-up crew here. Can;t wait to get started."

Jarvy wanted to excuse herself and sneak down to the berths. After all the waiting and suspence of assignment, she really just wanted to get settled in. But people were still talking, and Jarvy didn't have an excuse. So she stepped back and waited.

Last edited by Sparrow on Tue May 20, 2008 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{{This comes after Thieli's questions are answered, Mato, to let you know about timing. I'm not pushing, I just want to get the post in.}}

"Ah, yes Captain, mine as well?" Leah really didn't like putting herself forward where a medical case wasn't at stake, lest she set off resentment in her male counterparts. She wasn't like Jarvy, able to be confident and cutting edge - she simply looked too feminine. Even with the new laws in higher education, men still saw 'gatherer/child-bearer' when they looked at her, they didn't see a consummate professional with multiple years of experience behind her legally-earned degree. Sometimes - mostly when her patients refused her treatment - she thought maybe she should have taken a different career path. But then she thought of her mother and grandmother, who had both been superb practitioners of medicine even without an official degree, and knew she was making them proud and carrying on a family tradition. So it wasn't so bad. She could put up with it. Eisner had hired her, after all, and Gibb looked like he'd take care of himself, so maybe she wouldn't really be needed as a medic after all...

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien chose to introduce himself last, not out of any real reason other than he was fairly unsure of what "rank and file" passed as aboard the vessel. He stepped from the airlock, letting it seal behind him. As he moved toward the crew to make his own introductions, he kept his posture strong yet somewhat relaxed, a mark some might identify with military training had they the experience. This initial apperance probably masked the various mutilations that were also obvious, though at closer distance.

A small scar crossed vertically over his right eyebrow, thinning the brow hair over it's length. Also, a bright streak of white hair contrasted the rest of his short black hair neatly, and seemed to be completely natural judging by the roots. Lastly, and most difficult to notice as he had grown his hair just long enough to cover the majority of it, was a long and vicious looking scar running from just behind his left ear all the way to the back of his neck. Unless you were right on top of it, however, it would be hard to spot for most humans.

((In no particular order, feel free to assume you were first or last or however you'd like really))
To the woman whom had led him, albeit unknowingly, to the vessel, he offered his hand with a warm (if somewhat practiced) smile. "I have to thank you, ma'am, for I happened upon your path and was able to follow it here. Miss Heit was it? I am Damien Raude, thought please call me Damien. I look forward to working with you aboard the Bering."

He stepped forward to the Sreekaanse with somewhat cautious motions. Likely incredibly obvious to the born-and-bred predator, he was less afraid than simply curious, and very inexperienced around her kind. After a few moments thought, he extended his hand to her and canted his head to the side a bit. "Hello, I am Damien Raude, and it is certainly a privilege to meet a Sreekaanse, even moreso to have a chance to work alongside one. Thieli, was it? I look forward to our time aboard, Thieli."

As he stepped toward Leah to introduce himself, something seemed oddly...well, normal about her. She wore modest clothing, nothing fancy or overly flashy. Beyond that, there seemed to be an air of calm and determination about her, something that he found often in medical professionals. With a small bow of his head, he offered her his hand. "Miss Gregory, I hope that I will come to enjoy your cooking far more than I need enjoy your skill as our ship's doctor. It is good to make you acquaintance, and I look forward to working with you aboard the Bering."

Perhaps the introduction he was most looking forward to, was a man who appeared to hold himself in the same military gait that he was familiar with. Damien stepped up to Gibbs and, instead of offering a handshake, snapped to attention and saluted him. There was something of a mischievious twinkle in Damien's eye, as if testing Gibbs to a degree, to see if his hunch was right. "Damien Raude, sir. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Mr. Gibbs, and I believe we will see a great deal of one another, as the gunner crew. I look forward to working with you aboard this vessel, shipmate."

Once all introductions were complete, he headed off to the cargo storage bay to collect his personal effects and move them into his quarters. That is, unless one of the crew wished to speak with him further, in which case he stayed to talk to them.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The captain nodded to Thieli, smiling in earnest.

"You and Jarvy have priority choices over rooms. I'll leave it to you two to settle who gets what. As for the others, take whichever room suits your fancy, though I leave it to the senior officers to make final decisions on this. Now, if there's nothing else, I really am needed on the bridge... so, if you need me, come find me there."

With that, Captain stepped out and around the crowded entry and communications room towards the bridge.

If anyone followed, they would have noticed him talking hurriedly, and rather annoyedly into an intercom with a slightly garbled male voice. It sounded like the captain was not getting what he wanted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Below deck, anyone who was down in the hold would notice the large bay door lowering down, opening to reveal the harsh sunlight. The loud thunderous roar of an alien loading machine would immediately be heard. A pair of loading trucks would quickly roll on-deck and drop off a pair of weighed storage containers, leaving them with the stacks of others in the hold. Along with these would be loaded the ship's launch cargo; a single pair of 3000 gallon liquid storage cylinders. On the side would be painted "CAUTION, CONTENTS UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE, DANGER" and other such similar warnings. The smaller boxes loaded earlier would read "JS" on them.
----------------------------------
GM Note: Anyone who wishes to view these things can, and remark how they will. I'm marking the passage of time with this post: It is now 7:00 AM Pacific Standard Time, San Diego, California State, United States of America. Three hours are now remaining until launch. You may post accordingly, as if you had been on board for an hour, or you may finish your current conversations and then count the passage of time afterwards. Either way though, I'd like to keep this rolling forward.

With that in mind, Rolaoi may now post and get introduced.

Last edited by Tomato on Tue May 20, 2008 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvy gave Damien a firm handshake in return, "I look forward to working with you as well."

And then the captain finally got her excuse to escape to the berths. This was Jarvy's favorite part of traveling- getting to make a new room her own.

As she began to walk down the stairs to the berths, she turned to Thieli, "Thieli, you sound like you had a room in mind- which one, might I ask?"
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah smiled and took Damien's hand in a firm, if brief, handshake. "Likewise, Mr Raude. In truth, I prefer to go by Leah in casual acquaintance, though my correct title is Dr. Gregory." She smiled self-deprecatingly. "I know I don't really look it, but I am a fully qualified surgeon." Her eyes slid to Gibbs as she said this, gauging the reaction of the man most likely to cause her trouble.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Feaelen

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((don't remember if i discribed this or not, but Thieli has chamelion-like hands 3 fingers on one side and 2 "thumbs" on the other))

Thieli shook Damien's offered hand, "It is good to meet you Damien, I'm actually Thieli feae Kinyongia Karroicum however Thieli is just plain easier to say." She was trying to reassure the apparently nervous human, apparently he'd been raised on the preditory stories of her race.

Thieli then turned to Jarvy and followed her down the stairs as she talked, "It is nice to meet you as well, I'm looking to occupy the corner cabin that is near to the stairs and the engine room on the same side as the infirmery. Which room were you thinking of occupying?"

Thieli didn't take the stairs in the usual manner, but instead looped down over the stairs, climbing down them more like jungle gym then a set of stairs using mostly her hands, tail and her feet mostly for balance. She made sure to keep her pace slow so that she didn't overtake Jarvy.

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs had already introduced himself within earshot of the assembled crew, so he didn't do it again ((i'm assuming everyone heard)). He did return Raude's salute, though, with the British navy's version. his was a little more languid though, and he followed it by offering his hand to shake.

"Easy there, we're on civvy street now," he said with a wink. "I don't think we need to be too formal."

Introductions complete, he followed Raude down into the hold to pick up his weighed storage container - his kit bag was simply wrapped in thin material and had a label stuck on the outside detailing its meagre weight. It contained 4 changes of his current casual uniform, his dress uniform and shoes - at least he was still permitted the honour of wearing that on formal occasions - some tools, including a marlin spike and a good pen knife, and a few personal effects including a writing kit, and his remaining pay from the Theseus.

He raised an eyebrow to see the cargo being loaded, but it really wasn't his to enquire about it, it was just his to get it safely to its destination. he returned to the crew deck and picked an empty room noone had laid claim to, dropping his kit bag and tearing it out of its wrapper. He took some time to stow his gear away, and get out what small personal effects he had, a sepia photograph of his family, and another of himself and his captain. A mug and a pocket watch, both blazoned with the arms of the Theseus, one a gift on his joining, the other on his leaving. Various educational papers, including his pilot's qualification. His rank pins and his passing out pins.

He left his door open during the process, and would happily chat to anyone who came past. He sighed a little as he looked at his gear from the navy. The contractors had made life better, that was certain... But he missed the days of chivalry, nobility and monarchy.
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the airlock stood two figures, a graying, yet dignified, clean man, and a woman dressed in work-clothing and a cap. They embraced, and parted.

"Auf wiedersehen, Vater." Hanna said in a sad voice.
"Tschüss" He said somberly. She tried to smile, but frowned when she turned away. He didn't want her to go.

On board she looked around for the captain and other crew members. She bit her lower lip as she peered into doorways. She finally reached the crew quarters where she found several crew-members busy unpacking.

In one she found a man (Gibbs) furnishing his cabin with photos, papers, and other effects. Judging from his personal items, he was a military man like her father.

"Mein Gott, these cabins make the Bremen look like a luxury cruiser." She said to herself.

"Excuse me, sir. My name is Johanna von Sachen, might you know where I may find the captain?" Her English had a British accent.

As a German character, Hanna will sometimes speak in German. These are mostly interjections, and probably obvious, but when I do use them(and in the case of the opening part, better understanding), I'll include translations below in order of what was said.

Good-bye, father.

Bye(A less formal way than the above)

My God
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The last is saw him," Gibbs looked up from his locker, where he'd been putting away his rank pins, "the Captain was on the bridge."

He walked to the door to greet the new arrival. "We've not been introduced. I'm Mr Barry Gibbs, pilot and gunner, at your service."
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thank-you, Mr. Gibbs." She smiled warmly, "It seems we shall be working together as gunner in the future." She paused, "Although, I do not hope for too much need of this ship's guns. I would stay and speak with you a while longer, but it would be proper for me to introduce myself to the captain as soon as I can. Good-day, Mr. Gibbs." She nodded slightly to him, then made for the bridge.

Along the way she noticed exposed wires. It made her nervous and slightly annoyed at the untidiness she expected. She found the entrance to the Bridge. Outside she stopped where she took a deep breath and smoothed her clothes before stepping inside to find the captain. He was busy at the radio. She removed her cap and cleared her throat.

"Captain Jameson, I presume. I am the engineer and gunner added to your crew roster, Johanna von Sachen. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Eisner turned around sharply, and quickly glared at the woman. He caught himself though, and his bristling appearance quickly softened as he realized he had nothing to angry at her about.

"Ah. Johanna von Sachen. Good Morning. I beg you'll forgive my curtness, but I was only just recently made aware of your arrival. Feel free to get situated, your stuff should be loaded or being loaded down in the hold. I'm actually headed there now, if you'd like to join me."

He let the invitation hang in the air as he adjusted his cap.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien exchanged names and pleasant greetings with each he came in contact with, making mental note to put names to faces as best he was able (which was much easier in Thieli's case, admittedly). He also took the time to speak with Dr. Gregory, or Leah, a bit more before he and Mr. Gibbs headed down to the cargo hold.

"Leah it is, then," he said with a smile. "I must admit you are the first woman I have met to seek out a medical career," he continued. There was a slight hesitation, and curiosity, in his voice. Damien was a supporter of the new ways, but had yet to meet someone who met his, admittedly, high standards of work.

"Well, if you do not mind miss Leah, then I will take my leave of you for the moment. I would like to see to my effects before we meet the captain in a few hours."

Again he smiled, and gave a small bow before turning and walking with Mr. Gibbs down to the cargo bay. Damien made mental note of Leah's eyes trailing off, watching Gibbs while she mentioned her profession and such. As he collected his gear and quickly sorted it for being stowed in his own quarters, he mulled over that for a bit.

Once done unpacking, he decided to head across the hall (as it were) to Gibbs' room. He knocked on the ((I think)) opened door and poked his head inside. "Knock knock?"[/i]

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah finished her introduction to Mr Raude, and headed to the room she wanted to claim as her own. It was right across the hall from the infirmary and next door to the kitchen, and that was the most important thing. Dropping her reticule and hat on the bed to mark it as taken, she headed back down the hall to the stairs to get her gear.

The cargo bay was open, and large containers were being loaded on board. CAUTION signs adorned the sides, and Leah readily agreed with the sentiment. Whatever it was they were transporting, delivering or getting rid of, it wasn't her business. Her business was the health and welfare of the crew, to the extent that they could adequately do their jobs. Along one wall the bags and boxes of the crew were stacked, names clearly marked. hers were immediately recognizable, simply because they were such an eclectic mix.

Leah's particular bags were a canvas Army duffel her uncle had used in the military and a leather steamer trunk that her mother had given her when she went on her first space ship. And a carpet bag from her grandmother that fit her medical bag with plenty of room left over. Leah hefted the duffel to her shoulder and carried the two soft bags to her room, then returned for her trunk. It would be a bit of a strain to haul it across the hold, but at least there was an elevator. The first ship had only had stairs.

After she unpacked, she planned on giving the kitchen and infirmary a thorough once over. No need to get lost when she was truly needed.

Last edited by Asa on Thu May 22, 2008 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: