FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got accused of being anorexic again today. It gets rather frustrating. I'm not anorexic - I don't deliberately starve myself, I don't have disturbed body image, I don't fit the mental profile. I simply don't eat much.

Which is a problem, yes, but it ISN'T anorexia.

In other news, I cooked Shabbat lunch today - roast chicken, vegetable rice, and salad, with cherries for dessert.

BONUS: The Awards Gala was last week. I wore this:

These are NOT the same event! ^_^ The one on the left was from my eighth grade graduation... the one on the right is from last week. My mother made this dress - it's nice to have finally worn it again.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww Asa! You look lovely! And that dress fits you perfectly, kudos to your Mom!

I've never been suspected of anorexia, but plenty of my friends have, and I know they find it frustrating. A few years ago my wee sister and I had a conversation because I was worried she was developing an eating disorder. I'm afraid I didn't handle it very well, but it turned out she just wasn't eating much. No reason other than that she wasn't hungry. She's now trying to put on some weight for her own peace of mind, because like the rest of the family, she's grown up so quickly that there was no time to grow out!

Today I have little to do while I wait for my algae to culture.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look very nice Asa, but you've got a little something on your face I think.

People who comment on other people's weight confuse me. I've been slightly overweight all my life and oddly enough there are people who think I don't know I'm overweight and feel the need to point it out to me.

Perhaps they think they're being helpful?

I'm off to a wedding tomorrow, providing I don't get lost on the way to a dog shelter. I start volunteering there tomorrow and I've never actually been to it on public transportation before.

Oh well, it doesn't really matter if I'm late to the wedding, it's not like I'm supposed to be the photographer or anything.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful dress, and it looks great on you, Asa! ^__^

It is always frustrating when people decide to make someone-else's body image their business. I get it a lot for the other end of the spectrum--and people tend to be not-nice about it, then.

There's also a real misunderstanding about what Anorexia actually is. As you mentioned, it's a psychological problem dealing with distorted body image and unhealthy binge-purge habits. It's not not eating.

Today I am glad it's the weekend. It's been an incredibly stressful week at the internship. I had to write a business article with absolutely no help or guidance. I know nothing about business. I was expecting to shadow a reporter at the event, but she never showed. The photography intern had to help me interview people.

I also had to write an article on Flag Day (which is today). Good idea, editor, have the non-patriotic person write a patriotic article. A true test in unbiased journalism.

On the bright side, Wednesday I had an assignment at one of the local animal shelters and got to play with puppies. ^__^

Today I realized I have a class that starts next week. I'd forgotten about it. Whoops.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you realized it a week ahead of time, and not the day before or of.

The first time I was accused of anorexia was a year or two ago, and it was actually by my parents. That shook me, and I made them sit down with me and seriously tell me if they actually thought I was anorexic or not. Other people I brush it off as ignorance.

Petsat today! I love having a temporary pet. Also, the humane society called me on Friday and asked if I could foster a mother dog with brand new puppies - less than a week old. I declined, because I have an exam this week, but does anyone have any experience with mother dogs and puppies? They told me it would be the easiest thing ever. Is that true?

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was teaching this girl, (5 foot 1 - tiny!), some of the pairs work we do. She's a higher grade than me but she's been doing the kid's syllabus which is a good base for teaching the rest of the stuff but doesn't contain a lot of the flowing stuff and the applications. I suppose that's responsible though, you don't want to be teaching kids to knock each others blocks off too much.

She used to do gymnastics, apparently, and has the funniest ways of getting out of sweeps and throws. Fortunately she's fairly light, so the odds of her getting hurt from someone who's nice about it are fairly low, but if she keeps coming down poorly she's gonna get hurt at some point me thinks. Trying to think how to get her used to break-falling rather than trying to roll out of things.

On the other hand she was doing a lot of social chatting towards the end of the evening. Well, hence knowing she used to do gymnastics. So, I think she may just have been feeling self-conscious or tired. Burned out for the night kinda thing.

Nice person though, seems to have a good sense of just playing around and having fun with stuff. Makes it really easy to tell her things because you're not worried about putting her off.

I may have to look into adjusting my personality a little that way having seen how effective it is. Smile more, be more energetic, that sort of thing. ^_^

Today I almost breached the underlying reasoning for the today thread Razz
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're beginning to see the usefulness of an affable personality, Nem. ^_^

Today was a pretty good day. Didn't get much academic work done, but I did a bit of studying, shopping, napping, and visited a shiva house*. Ended the day with a great yoga lesson.

*Shiva is the Jewish mourning period, it lasts for seven days. This was a woman I know whose mother dies yesterday.

Miho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww! Asa, you look gorgeous, not that I can see your face, but I imagine it's wonderful!

Today I am hoping to go climbing outside, we shall though, may have to hit the gym.

Today I only have 4 days left in the states before I whisk myself all the way to Spain.

Today I also learned what a tortilla in Spain is. Basically a large egg pie, with potatoes and onion... and all I could think was, I wonder if they have ketchup there and will they get offended if I ask for some. I think I may have to pack a bottle of ketchup with me. I put that on everything. Seriously. Everything. Bacon. Good. Eggs. Good. Pizza. Good. Everything is made better with ketchup.

Today I think I shall take a hike up the canyon and take some pictures of this super ultra mega moon everyone is going crazy for.
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tonight started on a high note with an awesome yoga class, then tanked. My iPod Touch fell face down on the street and the screen spiderwebbed, then I got home to find that my foster dog had torn my laundry bag apart, and eaten the remains of a popcorn bag in my bed, leaving salt and detritus everywhere. :/

She was also lying in the clothes from the bag, but at least those were already dirty. And she knows she did something wrong, because she immediately retreated under the desk.

There's no way to fix the iPod screen, is there?

Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as far as I'm aware. =(

Today is my last week of my internship, I think. I need to set up the other one I was looking at, too. ><

Sigh.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to a comic convention in London, I've never been before but it's probably the biggest convention I've been to and I had a great time.

I saved a lot of money for this so I spoiled myself; bought lots of comic books, related merchandise and new books. And I met the author Robert Rankin who was just so nice. I feel bad that I've never read anything by him but I plan to now. (Especially since I now have a signed book.)

It's been a quiet week other than that, I've been volunteering at an animal shelter as a dog walker. I was out walking a teeny tiny dog a few days ago when a bulldog the size of horse came running over. It was pretty scary, for a minute I thought it was going to attack either me or Smiley but he just wanted to play. Unfortunately Smiley was a little intimidated because of the size difference, the owner got the bulldog under control though, all turned out fine.

Other than that I have little news. Today I am going to relax and do some housework. Eventually.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I write a guide to how to use a computer for people who've never used a computer before.... This may take some thought.

It's a little weird because you forget not everyone's grown up with the things. So much of what you think of as natural is something people have to learn O_o;
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mum has a job interview today, the first one she's had to do in a long time, so she's a bit nervous. Part of it is a computer skills test. She's competent on the computer, but there are some odd holes in her knowledge. For example, I had to show her how to copy and paste a URL. She was trying to copy and paste the whole page text into an email. I'm of an age where I just remember having to learn these things at school, so I have sympathy for people who are trying to learn now. Being self-taught leaves you with some peculiar voids I suppose.

Also: PUPPY! Guess who's getting a puppy...

Asa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppy! What kind, how old?

I'm cooking! Yesterday I had an empty fridge - half a bottle of milk, three old eggs, and some pretzels. Also, now that I think of it, various grains. And I thought, "Huh. This isn't good. I'm kind of hungry..." So today I bought some vegetables, and made veggie rice. Also bought yogurt, cereal, and fruit. This should last me a while, though. ^_^

Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a black labrador from working stock, so smaller than your average lab. Mum's going to pick him up in a week or so, so there will be a puppy waiting for me when I get home at the end of the month! PUPPY! We were going to have a girl called Fitz (for Ella Fitzgerald) but all the girls are gone, so we will have a wee boy puppy called Crosby. I was lobbying for Rufus (Harley, a jazz bagpiper) but Bing is one of my Mum's favourites so we've gone with Crosby. We're jazz fans ^_^

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 62 of 67

Jump to: