FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is bright and sunny and beautiful, and I'm inside working on last minute stats for my professor, who's on a plane to a conference in Europe. I'll get back to you if anything gets done.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I filled in for a coworker on 3rd. Came home, got 3/4ish hours of sleep, drove back into town for my internship. I'd let the editor know I'd be coming in around 1:30 today, and he said that was fine. Get to the newspaper. Parking lot empty, lights off, doors locked, no one answering newsroom phone. Drove the 30 minutes back home.

Now I'm freaking out that maybe someone WAS there and they were just out and whatnot and soforth. Sigh. Well, at least I did TRY to see if they were there. If they were and the doors were locked it's not my fault they haven't given me a badge to get into the employee door.

Tired. u_______u
Nem

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Well, you tried your best - and that's all that can reasonably be asked of you. Maybe send them an email saying you tried to get in - try and get the boss's mobile number in case you have a similar problem in the future?

#

Today I have to take the car down to the mechanic to get some welding done and the brakes fixed. I've told those people repeatedly that the brakes are very soft on that car and it just failed an MOT over them. Razz Though, Nem actually likes reasonably soft brakes, makes for much more graduated braking. Stick your foot down in a modern car and it virtually stands up on its nose.

Heh, remember when I did my first emergency stop in a modern car - driving instructor's car. The manual I'd read - the highway code book thingy - had said that to perform an emergency stop with ABS you just slammed your foot down as hard as you could. Which was what I did. Stopped like we'd run into a brick wall. 30 - 0 in like nothing. Driving instructor went "What the [heck] was that?!" "Hmmm" said Nem.

To this day Nem's not sure whether the book was correct or the driving instructor. We stopped with no skidding and the engine didn't stall. That seems to be all the points.

Not that you could do that in this car - no ABS.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today: "Oh, we have the day off on Memorial Day (yesterday). Didn't anyone tell you that?"

-_-
Nem

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you had most of the day off? ^^;

#

Today I drove the car down the mechanic I'd been told to. Turns out that mechanic doesn't do that sort of thing. Went to another mechanic, who I hope not's a total cowboy Razz (After all, how can you tell? He seemed fairly friendly but -shrug- ) Anyway, he was recommended from the mechanic shop that didn't do that sort of work themselves.

His pickup driver gave me a ride home since it was raining, which was nice of him. ^_^

And that's basically all I did today >_>
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is cowboy an insult?

Yesterday was good except that I forgot every single one of the three appointments I had made. Two of them I could reschedule to later in the day, and the last I was reminded of barely in time to make it there late. But other than that I worked on my proposal, got a lot done on the second set of analyses for my seminar paper, and earned money.

Today I started earlier but spent the time helping a friend with her paper. Now I need to start my own.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Allicat

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the British vernacular 'cowboy' is used to describe a manual worker who will take your money, do a botch job, and then disappear or refuse to do any more on the job.

Today continues the extraordinary weather we've been having. I'm in the Arctic circle and it's 21 degrees. I have a suntan. I would be scared if it weren't so pleasant.

Tomorrow I am taking a 9 hour train ride to pick up some algae samples. On Friday I'm taking the 9 hour train ride back. I will be train-wrecked.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
How is cowboy an insult?

I don't know why, it just is. Maybe it's just because they're always scoundrels on TV and we don't have any real cowboys? Never really thought of it before, it's just something we say to indicate - well, like Allicat said. ^^;

Anyway, he seems to have done a good job - or at least the car hasn't fallen apart yet and there's a metal plate welded into the base. And he was very friendly and the price had included an MOT which was nice. Got it done in a day, which again was very nice.

I guess we'll just see whether the car falls apart this year, and if it doesn't he did a good job Wink
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Editor was out sick this week, leaving the intern with nothing to do.

Sigh.

I spent three days playing online puzzle games.

Today I begged for busy work, and was given it. I went out to a wreck. An interview I was supposed to tag along on was cancelled. I stared at a wall for four hours because I wanted to shadow a particular reporter. In my opinion, she's the best writer at the paper, and so far I haven't had a chance to follow her about. It was worth it. She was really nice and gave me lots of good advice on note-taking and journalism in general.

From now on, though, I think I will bring a book.
Asa

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Or bring newspapers, and take notes on the articles.

This has been a good week, overall. I submitted my proposal to my professor finally, and he sent back some initial comments which I haven't looked at yet.
I'm going out for shabbos again. I've made progress on my seminar paper. I was on time to yoga both lessons this week. I'm feeling sort of exhausted actually, from all the stuff I've been doing.

Nem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the internet keeps going out >_<

The internet in this part of the country is so unreliable.
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today lots of newspapers are doing pieces about the NSA's surveillance progs. Nothing really surprising in them beyond that so many places are picking it up so quickly. There's something concerted going on there me thinks.

EFF
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/06/confirmed-nsa-spying-millions-americans

The Guardian's original article
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2013/jun/06/verizon-telephone-data-court-order

New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/opinion/president-obamas-dragnet.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-intelligence-mining-data-from-nine-us-internet-companies-in-broad-secret-program/2013/06/06/3a0c0da8-cebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story.html

Denver post
http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2013/06/06/sen-mark-udall-i-knew-the-nsa-was-spying-did-everything-but-leak-classified-information-to-stop-it/97025/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324299104578529112289298922?mg=reno64-wsj.html?dsk=y

Not that there's anything that people couldn't have ventured a good guess at there. There was, as I recall, a program going on before 9/11 that was meant to do a similar thing with encrypted safeguards but they trashed that and moved onto something without such safeguards.

Thin Thread
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinThread

Stellar Wind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_Wind_(code_name)
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh New York Times, is that bias I see in your article? Sigh.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will formulate an appropriate response to the idiocy of my government. Too tired, now.

This week in internship:
Editor: "Hey, do you want to do a story on the weather?"
Me: "Uh . . . sure?"

Me: "Do we have contact information for [person I'm supposed to interview]?"
Editor: "Nope!"
Me: "So . . ."
Editor: "Go track them down. That's part of the job."
Me: " . . . I guess I start with the phone book?"
Editor: "That's a good place. Or the web."

I'm starting to think it's a good thing I don't have stalkerish tendencies.

Today my story on the weather was the front page headline piece (if that tells you how small my town is). ^__^
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I sorta kinda went back on my word, I mean I didn't because I so rarely give my word. When asked if something will happen nem responds in terms of probably, most of the time, so that this issue doesn't come up.

Anyway, someone asked nem whether nem was coming to karate today, last time they had karate - during the week - and nem said almost certainly. And now the father wants to go to see a film, which means that transport's not going to be available anyway. So, that prediction's not going to come true. Still, it's close to giving your word on something, close enough that it makes little difference.

Always hedge, cause you just never know. Shouldn't have come that close to giving a straight answer in the first place.

Edit: Well, went to see the new Start Trek film with the parents. It has a lot of action in it. Also: SHAKY CAM. Uhm - people who are meant to be genetically engineered super-beings ought not to be able to be outsmarted by things that Nem saw coming. I shan't comment too much on it beyond that in case any of you are going to see it ^^;

Mother talked during the film - this is new and troubling. Thou shalt not talk during a film. It's just sooo anti-social.

I drove on the way back since I figured my father way too tired to do it safely - judging by his driving on the way up which was a little fast in places. Then again I don't remember his not tired driving that well at this point. Getting older, can't keep pulling all nighters and then expecting to be up all day on the morrow. I can't do it either so someone more than twice my age probably shouldn't be. :/

Seem to remember writing a long time ago that I think he'll die on the road one day. Just fade out somewhere between here and there. Fail to pay attention and come off a bike or get squished like my uncle.

There's never enough time, and if you try to cram more life into less space to make up for it ... you can only push things so far - only smudge the margins a certain amount before you have to start taking things from other columns.

*shrug*
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today went to karate - took the car, stayed a bit late to do some pairs work with a fella I know there. Getting pushed to grade again, which I don't really mind that much.

I haven't really been doing the kata for my grade much which is a bit of a pain but... I can see getting through it fairly easily, I think I've got the basic mechanics down at this point - just a matter of getting the... sequence in.

Also traffic seemed very odd today. Very sort of stop start stop start. And I was nervous with the whole driving thing again - which may just have been lack of food.

Anyhoo, yeah. ^^;
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 61 of 67

Jump to: