FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a local instructor's course in the next city which requires the women to get teaching hours in order to get their license. Three of them came to the university to do so, and two of them stuck around afterward, so now we have free yoga twice a week. It's great, I love it. But sometimes my knee does act up. And now that it's hot outside, I've discovered the sweaty palms. And yes, I do have a mat, though it doesn't seem to be helping...

Yesterday was good! Didn't meet my dreamed up goal, but I DID finish 2/3 of the proposal AND collected data from one of the transcripts for my seminar paper. Stayed on campus late, as well, which worked out well. I hope I can keep the momentum going. Today I'm going to do some reading for the proposal's lit review, and hopefully write half of it as well.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, sent my sister a text message, because she'd got a letter, asking whether she wanted us to open her mail.

"You don't have to send me a text message AND a voice mail."

Which, I didn't. Obviously my father got home, saw she had mail and sent her a voice message asking more or less the same thing. But - even if I had - that sort of tone is completely unwarranted. You go to work and deal with people who are really nice and take the time for you and ... whenever you try to interact with my sister she's always got a problem with you. There's just a really marked difference between the sort of people who invite you to birthday meals, despite you barely having known them a couple of weeks, and try to help you out getting jobs and ... and people who just automatically have something wrong with you and push it at every possible interaction. Granted I know there's a distribution between the two points - not everyone you're ever going to work with is going to be very nice - it's more a contrast thing.

When she was younger my parents always used to say that it wasn't worth doing anything about, that she'd just grow out of it. They had a lot of things like that they used to say. 'It takes two to argue.' etc etc. They don't say that sort of thing anymore.

I think this is it for us. It just struck me really vividly that I... I don't have to hear from her ever again if I don't want to. I can't think of any good memories of her. Any time we ever laughed together, or even really smiled. What are we losing? The relationship was always something you were obligated to have as a kid, but that leverage isn't there any more and it takes significant effort to keep sticking your hand back into the fire. Why keep putting yourself out?

There's a block user function built right into my phone. If they try to call you or text your or whatever, you never even need to know. She's at the other end of the country with her scumbag boyfriend. Does it actually need to be any more complicated than pressing the relevant button and forgetting she ever existed?

:/

In other news mostly done on the project work I've been doing. Two weeks is really just enough time to start getting into the swing of things =p

I'm tempted to program up some tools that'll let me compare data and throw up maps and stuff once I'm done with this project. There are some things that the company I'm working with does - like if you want a map made up they have a person you send the data to who'll get back to you with the maps in half a week or so - that ... yeah. You're sitting there thinking 'This would be so much faster if I just had the program on this computer and could do it myself ^_^; '

Ho hum.

It's been a fairly good week really, tiring but we're on the home stretch.

Oh and went to some mediation training, which is a volunteer role I'm thinking of volunteering for, earlier in the week. Undecided as to whether it's the sort of thing I'd be suited to. Nem's way of solving problems is potentially more suited to a direct - here are your liabilities, here are your options, style of thinking. Which isn't really what mediation's about.

Still, we shall see. I'm happy to give it a chance.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem: Well, you don't have to talk to her if you don't want to--and believe me, I completely understand the sentiment--but it's good to keep tabs on family members. Know where they are, have a current phone number/address, etc. You never know what's going to happen--and one day you may need to get in contact with them.

It's also kind of a "Keep your enemies close" kind of deal.

Today my back is doing much better. Muscle relaxers are working wonders, and I've taken to walking, which is also working wonders. Still stiff when I wake up, but better, overall.
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very glad I get along with my family. I have a wee sister who is significantly younger than me and my brother, so we saw how she was raised from a position of objectivity. It seemed to me that my folks were a lot more relaxed with her than they were with us, and I know I never would have dared talk to my parents the way she does sometimes. Fortunately, she has grown out of it and she's now a bright, intelligent, loving young lady who I am intensely proud of. She and my Dad still butt heads hehe butt-heads but they're both learning to live with the other's quirks.

Nem, with reference to severing all ties, you're quite entitled to do so, but I'd suggest keeping tabs on her as Nu says, even if it's just for practical reasons.

Nu, that sounds a lot better. I'm glad it was just a muscular thing and I hope it goes away and never comes back!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I know that my brother and I don't really get along, but my family as a whole is extremely close. Also, I've started actively avoiding his hot-buttons, so we don't argue as much. I can't expect him to stop being sensitive about those things, and it's worth it for me to put in the effort to avoid them so that we have a better relationship.

My dad, on the other hand, has what sounds like a similar relationship with his sister as you do with yours. It's unfortunate. He put up with her while we were growing up so that we would know our cousins, but it seems to have deteriorated since then. They don't talk at all, or through an intermediary when absolutely necessary. I hate it, I wish everyone in our family was close.

Nem, I know it's annoying, but is "killing her with kindness" an option? Or simply laying out what exactly bothers you about your interactions, and ask her to work on one or two of them specifically? I hate to see relationships end.

In personal news, I've been working on stats more yesterday and today. Also, I'm pet-sitting for the French bulldog again, and the good thing about having a dog (besides the company) is that I wake up early. ^_^

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, folks. I've taken your advice and at least not blocked her on the phone. Resolving the issues we have? I don't know how you'd go about that. I get the feeling if you said anything to her she'd just asplode =p

#

Today, door to door Christians want to use prophecies with exact dates to prove god. Well, possibly they don't want to but I talked them into agreeing to do so with the caveat that if the prophecies were wrong there was no god ^^;

"Prophecies would be pretty good proof of god, but how do I tell the difference between someone who's made prophecies that just happened to come true and god? I wouldn't want to mistake Nostradamus for god."

I admit that prophecies, made significantly in advance for hard to predict events, would generally be mighty good evidence of something wicked powerful out there if they were all true.

If they were all true. That's the kicker. That's one of the ways you con people - send out a really wide set of predictions and they'll be true for someone. You just make sure that people don't see all the ones that didn't come true.

Five seconds with google gives you Daniel 8:14 "For two thousand three hundred evenings and mornings; then the sanctuary shall be restored to its rightful state."

Which led William Miller, a guy a while ago, to say: "My principles in brief, are, that Jesus Christ will come again to this earth, cleanse, purify, and take possession of the same, with all the saints, sometime between March 21, 1843 and March 21, 1844."

I take it as a fairly non-controversial statement that no such event took place.

The really amazing thing about that is this, so surprising that as an uncited claim on wikipedia I'm not sure I find it believable:

'Following the Great Disappointment most Millerites simply gave up their beliefs.'

Now that's really sticking your money where your mouth is.

#

Prophecies with exact dates attached. There are enough copies of the Bible out there that they can't just redact all the prophecies that went wrong, so it actually works.

He said he'll come back with a list of prophecies with dates on next week. Well, first he said he'd pick one for me and then I said I'd rather have a list of all the ones with dates on them. Maybe he will. I shall be interested to see if all the ones I know about are on his list.

The neat thing is that it's not just a trick. If all the prophecies were true and so on - then....

*shrug*

If you had such a list you could convince most people who believe themselves to be rational that there was a god - or at least something wicked-powerful - just by giving them the list. It'd be like something appearing in thunder and lightning over Mount Sinai and proclaiming in a booming voice, "I am the Lord your god."

Edit: Oh! And they wanted to use the idea that the world was round as well. Which they thought was only discovered in the 20th century Wink

Edit 2: Oh, also, Swype is available on the android app store at the moment - if you're interested in that sort of thing. 11/5/2013
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today:

Father - DIY
House - disaster zone.

The recess for the hinges on a door he's attempting to hang was a little deeper than the hinges he has. So he decided to knock a hole about 2cm deep into the frame, insert and glue wooden blocks and then plane them to the depth he wanted. It's a horrible mismatch. It's not even a smooth surface anymore really - there are great big gaps where the blocks don't really fit the holes he made. >_<

A few years back he attempted to sand the doors that he's replacing flat, so that he could paint them in a colour her preferred. And there's been half-sanded doors in there ever since.

I will never understand why people don't sit down and spend a couple of hours working out how to do this stuff properly before they ruin their houses. At least then you'd have the moral high ground when your wife looks all exasperated and starts sounding like she's talking to a small child Razz
- Issa
Claen'tor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I thought it was a good idea to go for a walk to get some errands done.

The bad part of this idea was that it was over a mountain (literally, living in Appalachia right now at the bottom of a mountain), and it was done twice. The first trip wasn't too bad, ~6-7 miles in 2 hours, but the moment I got up from sitting to take care of a much needed bank account set up, my legs told me, 'HAAAAAATE.' The ~4-5 miles to get back (I found a considerably shorter route to get back) took 4 hours, with frequent breaks to lay on the grass to just suffer for a bit.

On the bright side, I had an opportunity to meet some nice people and dogs (OMG LOVE DOGS) along the way. Got a water bottle from an elderly gentleman who gave me the directions I needed to finish the first trip over the mountain (because I underestimated the heat and how winding my path down was going to be), and met a father and his kids on the final stretch, the father being willing to furnish me with a much-needed glass of water and shade, along with pleasant small talk while I rested and he did his gardening.

On the topic of family, two of my three siblings know how to push my buttons, that being my younger brother and elder sister, but we actually get along really well. Additionally, my extended family is pretty awesome in general. I feel lucky to have avoided estrangement from them in any fashion. Though there was the weird bit where I had a very pleasant time with a female third cousin of mine at a reunion, and one of my in-laws made a joke about what a lovely couple we made plus a crack about what point in relation removal is legally not considered... well, the law says after second cousins it's not. I'm not sure when I learned that little tidbit, but I mildly regretted the ridicule from relating that fact at the time.

Now Playing: Wolfmother - Colossal

This be Claen'tor, signing off.

I like to post my music. It's a habit. Be nice. ;_;

'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.'
-Soren Kierkegaard

Dubbed Clan by Asa
Claen'tor = Claen = Clan
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*whistles* You walked that far in Appalachia in the summer? Brave soul.

Today I went to help one of my professors with a summer project. Over the course of two hours or so I got several "Why would you say that? Have some tact." Yes thank you, it's always nice to be reminded that I am incapable of proper and polite interaction with another human being. u___u

Granted, this professor is very touchy and overly sensitive, but it still doesn't make me feel any better.

Today I spent the afternoon at a friend's playing video games. I am very bad at games. It made for a pretty hilarious afternoon, though. ^__^

Today I think I might be coming down with an ear infection. Not good.
Claen'tor

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu, the kicker is that I have not been anything other than sedate for the past... 6 months or so? So my endurance is not what it was. Making the first trip over the mountain was surprising in itself that I did not stop to rest at any point. Though I did pause to greet dogs, because dogs must be greeted!

Going to bed was... painful, to say the least. I spent a lot of time in that state of being half-asleep, half-fully aware of my surroundings, moving my legs carefully to kind of... be able to get up in the morning, I guess was the reason I did it? Not really sure, but I was able to get up, and with minimal muttered cursing. Trimmed my beard with my fresh bought styling scissors, and I feel much less raggedy then I have been the past few weeks. Now to figure out where my razor is, so I can be properly shaven.

Today's plans consist of playing Neverwinter until my roommate wakes up, and then we will go do laundry.

Now Playing: Daft Punk - Da Funk

This be Claen'tor, signing off.

I like to post my music. It's a habit. Be nice. ;_;

'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.'
-Soren Kierkegaard

Dubbed Clan by Asa
Claen'tor = Claen = Clan
Asa

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a surprisingly good feeling to start being productive again, isn't it?

This week was a bit abnormal. First, we had a holiday smack-dab in the middle, so it was really a sequence of three weekends. Second, I've only been sort of productive (I guess that's not abnormal, though). And third, I did my nails! Really rare occurrence, but they look nice. Hope this lasts longer than half a day.

Oh, also: I've made another enlightening discovery about 19th century women's fashions regarding hair: They all wore bonnets. Why? Well, when you've got a big lump of hair on the back of your head, a conventional hat just doesn't work. Ladies' hats of the time were little tiny things for decoration. Bonnets were for covering your face from the sun. I can't tell you how many times over the last few weeks I've been wishing for a bonnet. -_-

Now pardon me while I go get lost in re-enactment supply websites...

Nem

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was really tired at karate @_@ Tired when I got there, tired most of the way through. Just didn't have the old fire with me today for very long. Must have got about a third of the way in and noted the old fist was slightly trembling - which is generally a sign I've used too much energy.

Still did alright because, you know, efficiency. And it was nice to be able to concentrate on softening things up. But it was a little disconcerting to be all Hang on, there's practically nothing left in the tank.

Today the folks from last week didn't call again. Heh. I wonder what goes through these peoples minds - what the other half of the story is. If they've got an answer then you'd expect them to pony up, and if they don't have an answer and know they don't have an answer - do they still believe? How can you still believe if you're trying to sell faith on a rational basis and fail?

It'd look the same either way. That's the thing. If they didn't come back because they'd looked at the evidence and gone 'Well, gosh, I never noticed that before.' then they probably wouldn't come back. And if they were just cynically trying to convince people for some cult-like gain then they wouldn't come back. There're probably other explanations as well.

Today I think getting a couple of wooden swords and going to mess around with them would be kinda fun.

Oh, that reminds me: Don't use broom handles as staffs regularly. They can explode if you smack them off each other hard enough - which isn't that hard.

Oh and it's fairly easy to break a wooden sword with a wooden staff.

That's one of the things I think is missing from our early curriculum really: Weapons stuff. There are some skills from weaponry, distancing, timing, angle - that transfer really well to unarmed combat but with the weapon strength - as compared to leverage and movement and so on - is less of an issue. You can also much more clearly see certain concepts like a centreline.

I think it would be a good experience for people to have.

That and they're shiny. =p When you show people a weapon you can almost see their faces light up. It's adorable ^_^
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:

How can you still believe if you're trying to sell faith on a rational basis and fail?

Their faith might be based off of personal experience--which can often be difficult to explain to another person, and doesn't always translate into logic well.

And speaking from experience, trying to argue a faith logically can be a bit intimidating. A lot of the people who go door to door have not been heavily taught in theology and apologetics. In fact, they're lucky if they get minimum training, and nine times out of then that training is subpar.

Also, many religions do not teach critical thinking skills. I was raised in a religious environment that actively taught against it, actually.

Baaaaa! Sheeple.

Today I'm trying to set a date for an ultimatum. "If my back is not improved by ____ I will go see the doctor." I should really give it more time. It's only been two weeks. ><;
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it been improving? Declining? Plateauing? If it's the former, then yes, just give it time. If it's the latter, go see your doctor now. You don't want your back to be messed up any longer than it has to. Hope you feel better soon *hugs*.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs*

It's been a little bit of both. When I went, the doctor told me I had muscle spasms and sent me home with a muscle relaxant. That fixed the spasm, but I'm not sure it fixed whatever caused it. My back still hurts quite a bit, and the spasm keeps wanting to come back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 59 of 67

Jump to: