FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went back to the newspaper and we pinned down a start date and time.

On May 20 at 10am, I will be an official newspaper intern. ^___^

On another note, my journalism professor tracked me down today to tell me that the hospital is looking for PR interns. I might snap that up in the fall. Went to talk to the career services lady about it, and it turns out her daughter and I went to high school together. Spent a good half an hour chatting about people we both knew. It was nice. ^^
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to a gallery opening, met Brian Cox and got his autograph. Today I spent the morning pushing my little sister around the living room in a plastic box while she yelled 'Beep beep!'

Good weekend so far.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been really hot here. My apartment is now proving itself, since the extreme cold in the winter translates to comfortable temperatures in the summer.

Also, I've been unproductive in the extreme. Last week was over all really good, but this week is starting off on a dangerously apathetic note.

On the other hand, I've 'discovered' a new hairstyle for the hot weather, inspired by my recent interest in pioneer novels, using only six small claw-clips. It's for long hair, of course, and lets me wrap my hair up onto my head without having it stick out two inches. If anyone wants the full rant, let me know... I'm restraining myself for the sake of those who are not obsessed with hair and history.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much that being friendly operates on assuming that they're extroverted, Asa. Though I think that's implied in Carnegie's stuff. But if you both make the same assumption - whatever that is - then how do you know when it's a loss? If you're both being polite and acting on a general assumption of how people like to be treated, but it's not actually true....

What signalling mechanism is there for people to show how they actually like to be treated without paying large costs? How do people get to really know each other if it's all a mask?

^^;

Nice hair thingy, btw ^_^.

#

Today I've got work tomorrow. Kinda nervous. Still, I'm sure it'll go fine. Or at least it oughtn't to go wrong too rapidly to be addressable if it does under most of my predictions about how it might go wrong.

Today I ordered a couple of books off Amazon. Strangely as I've got older my taste in books has got less fiction-y. Perhaps just because I've seen so much better stories/characters on the web than in most of the books in bookshops.
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa: It looks like a flower ^_^

Today is a busy day. Doctor's appointment about a recurring and painful problem, discussion with my supervisor as to how much said problem affects my thesis (the answer is a LOT), calling up a supplier to find out why she's ignoring my emails and hasn't sent what I need to finish my thesis, and all this while still feeling lousy and sore from a minor procedure before the weekend.

Woe is me, for no one is here to make me a cup of tea. </whinge>

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa: Oh that is so pretty! ^____^

Nem: Good luck at work, I hope it went well!

Alli: *hugs* I hope you're able to get treatment for your problem, and that it clears up soon! Internet tea? *offers a cup*

Today is the last day of class for this semester. Exams start Wednesday. I have finally finished all of my papers.

I can't wait until I can sleep in and read books for fun.

Edit: Today my back decided it wanted to experience crippling pain again. It was fine when I woke up this morning, but when I got to school I was hobbling to classes. I don't know what happened. =S
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*accepts tea*

*offers tea in return*

Back problems are the worst *gentle hugs*

Doctor was impressed with my healing abilities. I'm like Wolverine, but less angry. Everything else was poop.

Today I had ice cream and pizza.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, dearie. ^_^

Today my back is much better. I am no longer couch ridden. I still have to be careful about twisting, and getting up from a sitting position hurts a lot. But I can walk. And drive. ^____^

Today was the first day of exams. Bleh. My first two tests went much better than expected, though.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I expect a special shabbos guest - I'm pet sitting a French bulldog. Supposedly a sweet thing, and I'm looking forward to having a dog around the place. I cleaned the yard and swept, and now the only thing left is to clear off my bed.

And while I was shopping, one of the spines of my fan broke, but I fixed it when I got home. The repair isn't as low-profile as I'd have liked - there's a big shiny patch where I had to spread glue on top to heal the crack - but it seems solid.

Also, this week was about 50% productive, academically speaking.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Nem: Good luck at work, I hope it went well!

Thanks nu' ^_^ I think it's been going relatively well. It was a bit stressful for the first few days because my P45 hadn't come yet and they didn't seem to know precisely what they wanted researched. But both those things are mostly solved now so.... Got enough data to start cross referencing stuff together.

Radar graphs, for comparing large sets of data, are pretttyyyy @_@
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my father locked his washing inside the washing machine. He tried running the same wash cycle twice in order to get it out again. Neither of which worked. "We've tried the wash cycle but we haven't tried the other wash cycles," he said.

Nem's mother looks at it: "Was it on this one all the time?"

Turns out he had it on 'hold' - i.e. keep the water in there if you're going to be away when it finishes so that the clothes don't crease.

The more I know about machines the less I think my father should be allowed to touch them. Send him to a small room with hug-youself PJs and absolutely nothing he can mess up. =p

(He jokes, mostly ^^; )
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went to the doctor's about my back. Apparently my back muscles are stuck in permanent spasm mode.

I've been put on muscle relaxants. Hopefully this will clear up in a week or so.
Asa

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. That doesn't sound healthy. Was it from stress? Don't hurt yourself!

Yesterday I learning something: yoga is not fun if you have no traction. I was slipping so much I couldn't hold the positions, and I actually fell twice. Was really tense the whole time to keep from losing my balance... So now I need to figure out how to not fall when my palms get slick.

Today I really really hope I can make progress on my proposal... my mother's getting impatient with me.

Allicat

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds painful, Nu. I hope the muscle relaxants help, and in the meantime you might look into yoga. It's gentle exercise, and the breathing which is inherent will help to de-stress you.

You might be able to tell, I'm a firm proponent of yoga, even though I can't touch my toes!

Asa, try baby powder on your hands if they're getting slick. Also, good luck with your proposal. I know that tune!

Today I have been back to the doctor because my back felt infected on Friday. It's fine, but annoying. I have a hospital appointment later in the month to see if they can fix it for good.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the well-wishes! I don't think it was caused by stress, but I can't say for sure. It was exam week, after all.

After a day, the main issue that was causing me a lot of pain seems to have been helped by muscle relaxants. Lots of other little things still hurt, though--but it's more achy pain than the sharp, stabbing variety. I'm hoping those will clear up, too--basically I'm hoping that the muscle spasms were random, and not caused by damage to anything else.

Asa: Have you invested in a yoga mat?
And good luck with your proposal!

Alli: I am a strong believer in yoga as well! I've had a lot of trouble with keeping up a good routine, though. I'm heavier, so I have a few knee and elbow issues, as well--which can make the entire process tricky. As my back begins to start healing up I'm definitely going to be picking up bits and pieces though! Stretching has been very helpful. ^^

*hugs* I am sorry to hear about your back. That sounds awful! I really hope that they can get it fixed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 58 of 67

Jump to: