FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great new, Britland!

I've been productive, sort of. Did things to earn money: babysitting, editing an article, tutoring fellow students. Now I"m about to do more things to earn money. But the biggie is still not getting done: the MA proposal...

>.>

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Britland ^___^

#

Tenshi wrote:
*more hugs, well wishes, and good vibes to all!

Hello Tenshi. At least you're keeping busy? ^__^ *Hugs and cookies*

#

Today I was really tired. Like sleeping for 18 hours tired. @_@ Think I'm coming down with something.

Also the parents are back. >_> I think they may have given me something <_<

Hello, we're back, have a yummy cold! =p

Yesterday went to karate - ah man. When you haven't driven for a while you can see places where you make the wrong decisions. I mean it's nice to be able to see them - but just the same.

Nem's theory of driving is, currently, that you should drive in a way that forces as few decisions as possible on you for a certain area of ground covered. I was wondering how you could distinguish good decisions from bad decisions but then I realised you could define the function recursively.

It's not an exact fit, you could drive with your eyes closed, making very few observations, for a while and then run into something that forced you to make a lot of decisions at once. But I suppose if you measure someone's driving by the worst they do that'd count as really bad driving by that measure so ... still kinda works?

And then there's do you disrupt the flow of traffic around you. That's a difficult one to account for - and if you do disrupt it is to force a more sensible pattern of behaviour on it? I mean I slow down when people are tailgating me more or less all the time. Force them to overtake. I suppose you could say that you should drive in such a way as to apply the above criteria to everyone in your immediate area. :/ Make others driving a function of your own.

Suppose you could say that you should drive in such a way as to fit the above in all possible worlds but then what about the world where the aliens come along and zap every car that's on its own? All likely worlds?

I don't know, it bothers me not being able to phrase what I mean particularly clearly. When I was learning to drive I was told never to trust other drivers to behave sensibly, but honestly trust is a big part of driving. It's a big part of most of the stuff we do. You trust that the guy in the next lane isn't just going to lose the will to live and run headon into you at 60 mph. You trust that others are going to obey certain rules and laws. You trust that the guy you walk past in the street, if he doesn't show any signs of being insane, isn't going to whip out a gun and start randomly offing people. Admittedly there are some countries where you'd be wise applying far less trust, but when you realise that it's not a particularly useful bit of advice. Suspect everyone! Doesn't give you any more information about how you should behave, if you really think that way what can anyone do but spend all day in a concrete bunker with a shotgun pointed at the door?

Ho hum. Anyway, that's the current heuristic Nem tries to use. Wonders whether the defensive driving people have an explicitly statatable heuristic now. ^^;
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a driver myself, I can only tell you what my dad's told me: Drive defensively. Keep a larger margin of error rather than smaller. People are stupid, and will do stupid things, so don't waste time being shocked that you could use to react to the situation.

Today I'm at a friend's house to try and get work done. Let's see how well that goes... he's a bit chatty.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Britland! That does sound like an interesting week, and Stardust was my first Neil Gaiman novel, so I have a lingering fondness for it. Speaking of Neil (or, rather, his lovely wife), have I posted this video here? Hrm, either way, here:

http://www.ted.com/talks/amanda_palmer_the_art_of_asking.html
Edit: There is one NSFW bit in the video. It's not gratuitous, but it might offend strict sensibilities.

She's quite a clever girl, that one. I hope your laptop can be fixed quickly and cheaply!

Congrats also to Tinu! I know you were really looking forward to that internship. ^_^ I'm glad you got it! ...also, NC is kind of... hopeful in terms of its ability to supersede federal law, innit? They're within their rights by the Declaration of Independence, but unfortunately that was overwritten by the modern Constitution, which... basically hamstrings and neuters individual states in favor of a strong, united federation.

As an aside, politics is a fascinating game. I really enjoyed my political science class before I had to drop it... I would've stayed, but I knew my grades would continue to suffer, given my absolute lack of background. Staying even at B level was a desperate effort...

Nagging to Asa. Get on that paper, miss! Razz In seriousness though, I'm glad that things are going well for you. It sounds like life has developed into a bit of... well, life. You're established over there, you know? Make sure that you do what's required to maintain that, by getting that proposal finished. It's something you've been needing to do for a while, so just take a deep breath and do it. No more tomorrow.

Nem, in terms of driving, your description of "least decision points" is somewhat how my driving style evolved. In my experience, it's often best to select a path which leads to the least interactions or decisions. To facilitate this, it's best to spread those moments out over long periods of time where possible. To that end, I'll merge into the exit lane a half mile or more before the exit, or I'll note a car coming up quickly in the mirror, and I'll voluntarily move aside so that they don't even have to notice me, much less slow down to avoid cosmetically rearranging my rear bumper.

Driving... largely seems to be a game of strategic stealth. As a driver, your goal is to make it to the end of the board (your destination) while avoiding being "caught" by any of the other drivers. To this end, you'll make your moves in the gaps left by their normal patterns, even if this requires somewhat counter-intuitive maneuvers like... oh, I don't know... slowing down...

The look of confusion that people give me when I tell them "slowing down will get you there faster" would surprise me, if I didn't see people accelerate at full speed just to get to stop signs more quickly. On the other hand, now that I work at an auto parts store, I guess that's job security. "We'll be seeing you in for brakes soon, hurr hurr."

Today I'm on the other side of an illness which basically knocked me out. I took my first day off in about two months! ... largely because I couldn't drive myself to work. >_> Anyway, I'm on the mend now, but it's weird to sign on to Facebook after a weekend away (almost a week, actually) and see about 50 notifications. I'm like... bleh... do I even want to sort though it?

This is how people fade away from the technological world, you know. They just let the mail pile up on their Facebook bar thing, and they vanish into the mists of real world...

Today my Archaeology class was cancelled, which is good for me, as that gives me extra time to work on a paper I've not had the mental capability to start. I just need to keep my formula in mind, similar to Nem's heuristics:

Define the subject.
Describe the subject.
Explain how the subject is used/understood.
Provide examples of its use.

And I just need to have a properly sourced, perfectly written, twelve page paper with said formula... Should be a piece of cake, right? >_>

So far, I have A's in Child Development (Psychology), Greek and Roman Poetry (Horace!), and French. It's this Archaeology class that's kicking my butt... Apparently the professor doesn't believe in A's. Would've been great to know that before I signed up..

Can it be summer break yet?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made progress on my proposal by clarifying my data set and analysis procedure today. I also received comments back from my mother on the sentence outline I pulled together yesterday.

Also made more money today!

And the weather's beautiful.

Didn't eat much, though. Well, you win some, you lose some, I guess.

^_^

Claen'tor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I hope to get a job at a place that my jobbed roommate frequently tells me is a 'sure thing'. We'll see about that, but if that fails, I finally have located a temp agency that isn't forever away. Now to kick my two fellow jobless roomies in gear and we can get this done.

Also, I move part of my post from another thread that I mistakenly posted my response in, believing I was in the Today thread. This has been fixed.

After going out to apply to the aforementioned place, on our way home the car we were using decides, on the off-ramp of the highway we are on, that it is out of oil, and will cease to function. This resulted in a somewhat hilly and effort-heavy episode of pushing the car to the nearest gas station, letting the engine cool, and putting in a quart of oil that was acquired in the convenience store. Excitement of the day: concluded.

Now Playing: Liar - Queen

This be Claen'tor, signing off.

I like to post my music. It's a habit. Be nice. ;_;

'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.'
-Soren Kierkegaard

Dubbed Clan by Asa
Claen'tor = Claen = Clan
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of happened to me a number of years ago - on the off-ramp the car I was in locked up, and since it was an electrical transmission, everything stopped working from the steering wheel on down. We were lucky to coast to the side of the road and could call for help.

Come to think of it, that incident probably has a lot to do with my phobia of driving...

Yesterday was sort of productive, on two levels. One, I made a small bit of progress on my MA proposal, and came up with an idea for one of my seminar papers (though I still have to look for research and data to support it). Second, I met with my chavrusa and we did some learning. Before we even started, my friend expressed her worry that I had linked my happiness to G-d, and this was why I'm depressed (we tend to start all our learning sessions with a bit of mutual therapy). I acknowledged the point, but wasn't ready to accept it, so we started.

The basic point of the book is that the ultimate purpose of man in the world is to become closer to G-d, and there are various ways of doing this through intermediate steps and goals. After an hour and half and much discussion, we decided that I'm unhappy because I've somehow set my sights on that ultimate, impossible goal, without the intermediate goals (being a good person, doing the right thing, etc - all the things religion tells you to do or not do), and thus I was never achieving my goal, and that was making me unhappy. So I have to learn to let go of 'closeness to G-d' as my goal in life, and look a little nearer to myself.

We also decided that my friend was unhappy with religion and certain demands it makes on her life because she had never learned to see that ultimate goal. All she saw was the smaller goals, the dos and the do nots, without knowing why they're important. So she has to learn to make closeness to G-d a bigger part of her life and reason for being.

Like racing through the forest: If you only look at the finish line but not where you put your feet, you'll run into trees and trip over roots. If you only look at where you put your feet but don't keep an eye on your finish line, you'll veer off-course and get lost.

THAT was an achievement. I feel like learning "The Way of G-d" is sort of like one of those epic video games, where you're travelling through an unknown realm and you have to pick up keys and things. And maybe you pick something up because it looks important but you don't know why, or because it came along with something else but doesn't seem to do anything. Then suddenly days later you realize that the old key fits the door in front of you, and you've gained 20000 hp and an extra life all at once.

So it was a good day.

Nem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_o Yessss, I can see how that would be rather stressful. Did they find out what it was? Was the car just poorly maintained or... bad design?

:/

Today downloaded this http://stereopsis.com/flux/ Not sure how plausible it is but the reasoning for it seems fairly solid.

Today I think it odd how little reputable ... rankings there seem to be for older material, esp fiction. You'd think with the amount of stuff being turned out that the search data would be more important than actual invention by now. Though I suppose it's possible that newer stuff is just markedly better in many domains, or that something else is going on.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went to school, ran errands, went home, got some sleep . . . woke up at 5:30 to five missed calls from my boss, saying that she had just seen my unavailability request for work tonight.
. . .After I'd already slept for six hours and made plans with another coworker to switch my schedule to accommodate not having gotten a day off.
><;

She'd already scheduled someone else to work and I had to call her and ask her to cancel it. Sighs.

Lesson learned? Talk to my boss about switching schedules.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got off work, got three hours of sleep, and then scrambled to get to the environmental center's herpetology event.

On the bright side, I spent a good two hours this afternoon tramping through my school's ecological preserve, turning over logs looking for salamanders, learning how to identify turtles, holding snakes, and chatting with a bunch of really smart and really cool middle schoolers.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salamanders ^___^

Today did a bit more karate. I always wonder with some people whether feedback would actually be welcomed. So a lot of the time when I can see people doing things wrong I just don't say anyway :/

Like this guy today, his guard was wide open. Your guard really ought to be more like this.

http://i.imgur.com/CoLcFqG.jpg

Not necessarily exactly like that, that's more personal preference - there are wider and narrower guards, higher and lower, different orientations for the hand, they change fairly dramatically when you stand at an angle to someone, and if you've not squared off to someone obviously there are social considerations for quite how you're going to stand. But in the context we were doing it, something narrower so that he was more covered would have worked a lot better.

As it was a lot of the stuff he was trying to use that was meant to work as a deflecting from inside the line of attack he was having to go from his open guard, move across the line of attack, and then swing back. And it wouldn't really have been fast enough if you were moving quickly. As it was he was having to bash things aside most of the time. I did think of telling him that the blocks worked a lot better if you rolled your arm throughout the movement but again....

*shrug* giving advice to people is weird like that when you haven't been asked to and you don't really know them. At least if you're not the most outgoing bunny by nature. Maybe it comes easier to some people? Or maybe there's just always a fairly high risk attached.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thanks for the match! I noticed a couple of things while we were sparring, do you have a minute? First, [compliment]. And there was this one move, [explain], I was thinking it might be smoother/faster/stronger from a narrower starting point [or whatever]. What do you think? And really, [compliment]. Thanks for your time!" Stop at the first compliment if he doesn't seem open to conversation.

I had the same issue in yoga a few weeks ago. Not that I'm any sort of an expert, but a friend of mine was struggling with one of the poses because the instructor hadn't done a good job explaining. I let it go a while for the same reason as you - it's embarrassing to go up to someone and essentially say, "You're doing it wrong, and I know better than you." If you ease into it and say, "Boy this is difficult/important to know, what do you think about practicing it together?" then you're not imposing your opinion on the other person. And once you start, you can say things like "I've noticed that this tip/idea/motion really helps me get into it, does it help you?"

So you're taking the whole thing WITH them, rather than imposing your ideas on them.

Today I hope to get work done.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I hope that none of you are in Boston and that you are all safe and happy in your respective homes.

Today my thoughts and prayers go out for the people of Boston.
UFAlien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm thinking about how messed up some people are. The initial bombings at the Boston Marathon were about 1 mile from me. I didn't hear the explosions, but I heard the sirens and the helicopters. Over an hour later there was another explosion at the JFK library. Cell phone use is shut down in the city and we're being told to stay indoors and not travel in large groups. My college campus is in lockdown. Most tragically, two people are dead and dozens are injured, many seriously. My heart goes out to everyone affected.

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
UFAlien = UFA = oofah = Loofah
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs* It's a horrific event. I am glad that you're safe, though! I hope they find out who is responsible soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 56 of 67

Jump to: