FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today people in my town are being silly. To make a very long story short, we're getting sued by the ACLU. *sighs*

Today was official "oh hey you have three jobs plus school" day for me. I go back to the park on Sundays. I'm considering if I want to be mildly suicidal and tell my boss there that I can work Sunday afternoons, after working 3rd Sat/Sunday night. ><
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am absolutely terrible at selling myself. >_> I mean people will ask you questions and even if what you say isn't that bad, you'll think of other stuff you could have said ten or twenty minutes later once it's percolated up from your subconscious.

Like I was asked why I thought that if you were going to go to the trouble of getting up and doing something you owed it to yourself to do a good job - and I said something to the effect of if you can't keep your word to yourself why should anyone else ever trust it? You'd undertaken to do the thing so, do it. But, equally, I could have spoken how nice it is to see that you have an effect on the world. Which is also part of my answer and a much more positive spin on things. And I've got a big stack of reasons for thinking stuff like that all neatly laid out in essay format and.... >_> But when you want to use it? Whoosh.

Let's see, another question was to do with what sort of things you thought they could do to improve - which is an absolutely fantastic question! But most of what I said was to do with places they could have more advertising - it was only fifteen minutes after the interview was over that I thought: Hey, I know some people who manage the local prison and do work with prisoners there who would totally be interested in this sort of stuff.

No. I do not think the interview went well. It's enough to make you wish you could sit there with a script for all the questions you've foreseen them asking and just read them your answers.

Talking face to face like that makes thinking really hard. I need a job where I can make heaps of money (well, it would be nice anyway - I suppose ... you'd rather have it than not anyway) and only interact with people through email. I'm a much better person through email. Not the sort of half-functional blithering idiot I turn into in person.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a follow-up letter pronto, and include those things. "Thank you so much for the interview, you helped me really identify with the idea of showing yourself what a good job you can do when you put your mind to it. I'd be very excited to work with your company, and my friend who work at X prison would also be interested in your services and the help we could bring them. Thank you again for the interview and I look forward to hearing from you."

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea. It will give them a better idea of who you are and also make them remember you!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tinu:
....The ACLU... is suing... your town? O_o Do tell.

@Nem, Asa, Alli:
I concur, sending a follow up is a rather professional way of letting them know you're interested, while still not seeming like you're being overeager. Simply being courteous and asking a gentle question about whether they've had a chance to review your application, that sort of thing. Most often, they'll then volunteer the date they expect to make a hiring decision. The most important thing to remember is to thank them, either way. They did give you their time, after all, even if they didn't do much for you with said time.

Haven't got much time myself, speaking of, as I have to get to bed for work in the AM. Not much of a celebration for my birthday, truth told, but I think I prefer it that way. ^^; I took exams, finished out the pre-break semester, and worked on some homework. From here until courses resuming will be a great deal of working (I've picked up more hours, since I'm out of class), and so I'm not giving myself any real break. What was Ravenna's old user quote? "The pay isn't great, but at least the work is hard." Something to that effect. Bills to pay, things to catch up on, all that. You'd think the folks who did my spinal surgery would comprehend lacking finances, but c'est ce qu'il est. (It is what it is)

For Britland and Asa, here's that Ode to Horace:
http://earthsongsaga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43067#43067

It's not fantastic. I'd like to do better at it..

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
@Tinu:
....The ACLU... is suing... your town? O_o Do tell.

But if I told you then you'd know where I live. =p
We'll just say it's for something pretty petty that, in true Southern fashion, the defendants refuse to back down on.

Today I discover that my social interactions need a lot of work because I do not know a healthy way of dealing with an argument.

How do people handle disagreements . . .? ._.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - the thank you note is really just a way to set yourself apart from the other interviewees. However, you can ALSO use it as a vehicle to deliver answers you forgot during the interview itself.

It's summer here. It's supposed to get up to the 90s this afternoon. Israel doesn't really seem to hold by this concept of four equal seasons - we've got hot and sunny for nine or ten months, then cold and rainy for two. Then right back to hot and sunny, with maybe a week of transition in between.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Claen'tor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu: Given that I get a lot of information about those kinds of things passively, I discover through learning that your town is being sued by the ACLU, that I am not all that far away from you. Admittedly, still a full state's width away, but... anyway!

Today I, along with one of my roommates, re-discovered Battleforge, and were reminded how much we enjoy multiplayer RTS games. Now if only we had two more people to play the four-player story maps on...

Also went to my local Kroger today and got free chips of a new variety. Also, Sriracha chips are delicious.

Post put on hold until computer relocation

Post-computer relocation:
So, 'fun' times are being had in attempting to repair a computer that crapped out on us, where the CPU cooling fan is failing to spin up, the pins on the CPU were bent (and have been only barely repositioned, probably not passably). It may be that I have to lend out my laptop for a while, until my roommate is able to replace the busted one.

I'm also really exhausted, so my ability to accurately judge problems in order to troubleshoot is probably suspect. Going to bed now.

Now Playing: Tiki God - The Presidents of the United States

This be Claen'tor, signing off.

I like to post my music. It's a habit. Be nice. ;_;

'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.'
-Soren Kierkegaard

Dubbed Clan by Asa
Claen'tor = Claen = Clan
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claen'tor wrote:
Tinu: Given that I get a lot of information about those kinds of things passively, I discover through learning that your town is being sued by the ACLU, that I am not all that far away from you. Admittedly, still a full state's width away, but... anyway!

Oh hey, more east-coasters. ^^
Hah, well, if you know that then you'll know that this isn't the first incidence and that my town is getting to be nationally famous for being stupid.

Today I went antiquing with a friend, with minor success. ^^
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh antiquing is fun ^_^ what did you find? My Mum and I like to go whenever I'm home and we usually find some lovely trinket to spend our money on Wink

Today I awoke at ridiculous am. Two hours before my alarm's gone off, but I can't get back to sleep. Let's see if I can do something useful with my day!

Nem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice ^_^ I'll bear it in mind in future. Thank it would have sounded a bit desperate this time around since they were meant to be getting back to people on Friday, (the day after the interview,) but it is good advice.

Anyhoo, they've not got back to me yet but I know their company is notoriously bad for getting back to anyone. So, we shall see. I'll call them on Wed if I've not heard anything and ask for feedback.

#

Today I can't focus on anything. Had a large cup of coffee earlier. Possibly responsible.

Yesterday I had a really good time at karate. I'd debated not going because I'd have had to drive to get there and that's in the scary column. But I did and it paid off handsomely.

Hmm, what else - oh some guy on the internet said that European armies didn't use many guns during the 16th century. Which was a bit odd to me since that was the beginning of shot and pike formations based on the idea of anchoring loose, mutually supporting, formations of the former with much tighter formations of pike as a defensive base to fall back on (these early formations were called colunellas and are where the rank for colonel comes from.)

Later on the formations became larger and were organised in a different block structure. You ended up with massive blocks of thousands of men (on paper 3000, in practice rarely more than 2, commonly less than that) called tercio that essentially dominated land-based warfare for the next 150 years. As time went on and guns got better those tercio formations would over the next 150-200 years change to account for different threats - eventually becoming thinner lines that were able to present more of their shooters to the enemy at once and use weight of fire to overcome people by moral shock. At which point they forwent the use of pike. The latter development is where regiments come from and why they're the number of men they are (3,000 men more or less, though some are larger.) 3,000 men isn't just some number that made sense for organising a modern army, it's a hold over from when 3,000 men was the basic organisational unit you used on the field because it was about the most you could efficiently command in one block.

And indeed evveeennnn later, when Napoleon came along, he organised on a lower level, which made his forces more adaptive and was the actual factor responsible for many of his successes rather than any real tactical or strategic brilliance on his part. Which is where the idea of a Field Marshall comes from because he organised troops on a much lower level and promoted some of them into command of certain sections of the field - gave up the rigid control of his army in order to make it more adaptive and able to exploit changing conditions. The worst thing that ever happened to N was that he started believing his own mythology.

Which just goes to show that from time to time it's a good idea to stop and ask the question: If I were designing something from whole cloth, how would I go about setting it up? Because things change and constantly refining on the same theme will leave you liable to be outpaced.

Napoleon reminds me of the Russian military doctrine really - contrasted against American doctrine. Americans were organised on a much lower level than the Russians; more able to act on their own initiative. Whereas the Russians planned to attack in waves, expecting each wave to fall apart and be able to regroup while the next one pushed forwards. Which really goes to show the effects cultural considerations have on warfare. Americans valued independent action and individual lives and had a relatively high level of education and belief, more or less, in a common cause - so that trust was there for them and enabled a particular type of organisational structure which it's questionable that the Russians could have gotten away with.

*drums fingers*

I've had coffee, I can't concentrate on anything efficiently today >_<
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allicat wrote:
Ooh antiquing is fun ^_^ what did you find? My Mum and I like to go whenever I'm home and we usually find some lovely trinket to spend our money on Wink

I was initially looking for a watch fob for my dad, but I found some lovely earrings for my mom instead. ^__^
I also found a really lovely pendant--it's a redbud leaf skeleton that's been coated in gold. It's not an antique, but it was cheap and I love things like that.

Today I worked at the park. I was expecting it to be busy--St. Patty's day and all--but the weather decided to turn cloudy and cold, so I spent the shift reading instead. It was quite lovely.
Claen'tor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem: Are you sure coffee makes you unfocused? That was less a stream of consciousness and more an informative history dump to back up your incredulity that someone believed firearms were not in common military use in 16th century Europe. Given that they gained popularity in the 14th, the century in which they were brought into more practical use outside of Asia, I reach the conclusion that your R.I.P. (random Internet person) didn't do their homework (hell, didn't even use Wikipedia, notorious for mistaken information), and is talking out of their... you know what. Possibly trolling.

Today I went to sleep at 1300 hours, mainly because I turned on Assassin's Creed 2 for the first time (which kind of ties in with the whole firearms discussion, given the time period). I'm probably going to have a completely sober St. Patrick's Day, though the only thing that makes me sad is the fact that I'm not in Chicago anymore, so I can't go into the city and carouse along a Chicago River dyed green. Oh well. Back to 15th century Italy I go.

Edit: It occurs to me now that I'm just a little bit jealous of how verbose Nem's posts are. Clearly, I need to write more. In-game chat functions tend to have character limits. So actually, it's not that I need to write more, it's that I need to write more in a less restricted format. ANYWAY...

Now Playing: Speed King - Deep Purple

This be Claen'tor, signing off.

I like to post my music. It's a habit. Be nice. ;_;

'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.'
-Soren Kierkegaard

Dubbed Clan by Asa
Claen'tor = Claen = Clan
UFAlien

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I realized this place still exists even though the front page link has poofed into oblivion.

...hi!

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
UFAlien = UFA = oofah = Loofah
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is still there! On the right hand side under the donate button and above the Tomgeeks button there are six Rainbow Buttons of Wonder. The yellow one is for the forum. It's a little difficult to spot if you don't know where it is :/

...hello! Welcome back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 53 of 67

Jump to: