FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Fragments of Inspiration

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Fragments of Inspiration Reply with quote

Opened a document on my computer today, by the above title. So here's what I have so far.

I was getting ready for the day, and the first two lines below popped into my head. The others followed naturally after that, but then it dried up and I don't know where else to take it. Someone can take it and continue it, if they want to.

However far your path may wander,
That's the distance I shall go.
However deep your silence stretches,
That's the depth my song shall flow.

THIS, on the other hand, had a lot more work put into it. Some of you may remember my 'lyric poetry', where I wrote some pieces that were set 'word for note' to instrumental music. This is a little different, it's a montage of images set to music with words. It's not entirely finished (I didn't finish going through and pinpointing the timing), but I do want to see what you folks think. The specific song it's set to is "Scarborough Fair" by Celtic Woman, sung by Haley Westenra.

SCARBOROUGH FAIR MONTAGE
Dawn in the forest. Light comes up, camera comes down through the trees to see a young woman waking up in her bedroll next to a dead fire. (:15)
(Are) She climbs out of bed, breaks camp, starts moving through the woods. Camera POV from a branch above her head. (:30)
(Remember) Camera isn't quite steady, as if following her footsteps or the wings of a bird. From above see her pull out a locket. (One who) Close-up: it's a picture of a young man. (:40)
(He once) She closes her fist and moves ahead, with a determined expression on her face. (:49)
(Tell him) Camera moves behind and past a tree to reveal: Deep forest. The quality of the light is more green, filtered through the trees. Camera angle: above and to the right, again moving on the other side of a tree or two. (cam-) Close up of her shirt getting snagged on a branch, in passing. (Parsley) Pushing aside branches, (:54) it pulls a fiber free as the branch bounces back into place. (1:07)
(Without) (1:07) Forest begins to lighten, light quality is clearer. Trees are farther apart, more undergrowth. (mine) Ground is more fertile, sweep down into a closeup of her footprint.
(end of verse) As the verse ends and we enter the instrumental interlude camera sweeps up into a panorama of a prairie. From high above, we see the tiny figure of the young woman cutting a path through the tall grasses, and her trail of broken stalks meandering away to the forest's edge. Curve of the horizon as we follow a bird swooping in the air. Closeup of the young woman's shoulder, then the camera sweeps past and up to a vista of the mountains.
(Tell him) Sudden closeup of her hand grabbing a rock, camera pulls back to show her hauling herself over a ledge, walking along a narrow path with the wind tugging forcefully at her cloak. (Parsley) Camera runs ahead of the young woman, dodging around boulders and up the path until it (between) bursts over the crest and shows a panorama of the sunset over the ocean. (-ter and) Camera slowly sinks down to show the young woman standing at the head of the path down.
(Then) Starts down the mountain, dusk settles. The young woman picks her way among the rocks and shadows. (Are you) She finds a cave, peers in for a second and crawls inside. (Parsley) She sets up camp, lights a fire, sits down against the wall of the cave with a sigh. (Remember me) She pulls out the locket and looks at it for a moment, (once was) then closes her hand around it and leans her head back against the wall, stares at nothing for a second. (True) Her eyes close, (mine) her head tilts slowly to the left and she falls asleep. Camera pulls away, blurs into flickering firelight, fades to black. (end of verse)
(Tell him) Sudden closeup of her hand grabbing a rock, camera pulls back to show her hauling herself over a ledge, walking along a narrow path with the wind tugging forcefully at her cloak. (Parsley) Camera runs ahead of the young woman, dodging around boulders and up the path until it (between) bursts over the crest and shows a panorama of the sunset over the ocean. (-ter and) Camera slowly sinks down to show the young woman standing at the head of the path down.
(Then) Starts down the mountain, dusk settles. The young woman picks her way among the rocks and shadows. (Are you) She finds a cave, peers in for a second and crawls inside. (Parsley) She sets up camp, lights a fire, sits down against the wall of the cave with a sigh. (Remember me) She pulls out the locket and looks at it for a moment, (once was) then closes her hand around it and leans her head back against the wall, stares at nothing for a second. (True) Her eyes close, (mine) her head tilts slowly to the left and she falls asleep. Camera pulls away, blurs into flickering firelight, fades to black. (end of verse)

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fragment!

This one's the chorus of a song, about the love which is your best friendship as well. This has been floating in and out of my mind for a couple months now, and I thought I'd share.

(And it's) Sunshine on a rainy day,
Moonbeams on a cloudy night,
A cool breeze in the heat of August,
A whole day when it all goes right.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa, would you mind if I took this and ran with it? An inkling might be forming...

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly! It deserves to be finished. Let me know how it turns out!

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It deserves to be finished. Let me know how it turns out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: