FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Quote Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goober. Very Happy 'Evil', spelled backwards, is 'Live'.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Stop trains. Munitions ship on fire. Approaching Pier 6. Goodbye.'

That's a telegram that Vince Coleman returned to his post to send during the Halifax incident. It stopped all the trains in the area, probably saving many lives since a passenger train was due in a few minutes.

He was killed in the explosion - along with two thousand other people. This is what the cloud from the explosion looked like

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Halifax_Explosion_blast_cloud_restored.jpg

Was reading about it just now, seemed very brave and quite sad. ^^;
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very brave, and admittedly a bit sad, too. I would define that person, truly, as a hero.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not a quote, per se, but I find there's very little in life that can't be met with something from Tolkien's works. This saves me and slays me equally when I'm at my lowest points.

Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soe8ayi3ScE

Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I hope you will have a wonderful year, that you'll dream dangerously and outrageously, that you'll make something that didn't exist before you made it, that you will be loved and that you will be liked, and that you will have people to love and to like in return. And, most importantly (because I think there should be more kindness and more wisdom in the world right now), that you will, when you need to be, be wise, and that you will always be kind." - Neil Gaiman

(I'm kind of a quote junkie)

Red Skelton
asrz

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking.
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965), Speech, 1941, Harrow School

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Courage is as often the outcome of despair as of hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other everything to gain." - Diane de Poitiers

Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No matter what your heartache may be, laughing helps you forget it for a few seconds." - Red Skelton

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do not assume that because I am frivolous I am shallow. I don't assume that because you are grave you are profound."
- Sydney Smith

[This is, more or less, Nem's outlook on growing up. =p Sadness isn't the same as maturity.]

"Wordiness is a sickness of American writing. Too many words dilute and blur ideas. " - Eric Hoffer

[Nem thinks this is true of writing in general.]

"Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." - Gore Vidal

"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal Richelieu, pointing out the importance of secrecy.

"The misuse of language creates evil in the soul."
- Socrates

[Of course Socrates was talking about misusing language in the way politicians do, rather than just making mistakes.]

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Talking of which - seen on someone's facebook page:

Gave me a bit of a chuckle Wink

"One of the complaints most frequently made about [my work] can be summed up as follows: "After all, these people are so spineless, how are you going to make heroes out of them?" This objection almost makes me laugh, for it assumes that people are born heroes. That's what people really want to think. If you're born cowardly, you may set your mind perfectly at rest; there's nothing you can do about it; you'll be cowardly all your life, whatever you may do. If you're born a hero, you may set your mind just as much at rest; you'll be a hero all your life; you'll drink like a hero and eat like a hero. What the existentialist says is that the coward makes himself cowardly, that the hero makes himself heroic. There's always a possibility for the coward not to be cowardly any more and for the hero to stop being heroic. " - Jean-Paul Sartre, Existentialism Is A Humanism
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've just added to my quotes file, sir.

Particularly the first quote:
Nem wrote:
"Do not assume that because I am frivolous I am shallow. I don't assume that because you are grave you are profound."
- Sydney Smith

This tends to be my life philosophy. A lot of people try to remind me how much trouble I go through, how much I struggle through. Why should I hold it to mind constantly, worry over it, fret about it, and let it make me miserable? The days are no less bright, the sky no less blue, the grass no less soft, a friend's smile no less charming. That there is suffering in the world should never - in my opinion - mean that there cannot be joy.

(As you can see, I'm guilty of the Hoffer quote. Badly.)

Also a huge fan of Gore Vidal in general, actually, but this trio of quotes is depressingly earnest.

The Jean-Paul Sartre quote, though... that one, I like most. Everyone can be a hero, because a hero doesn't have to fly or stop train wrecks or topple dictators. A hero can be the person who stands up on the bus to let the elderly passenger sit down. A hero can be the person who tells a random stranger that they look good or did well. A hero can be someone who simply says "no" when they want to say "yes".

And most important, a hero can be a coward, and a coward a hero. Often times, it's the cowards that are all that are left, once the heroes have been "dealt with." Often, that's where the greatest heroes come from.

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." - Nelson Mandela

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a very short little poem snippet today.

'Tis all a Chequer-board of Nights and Days
Where Destiny with Men for Pieces plays:
Hither and thither moves, and mates, and slays,
And one by one back in the Closet lays.

Rubáiyát of Khayyám - FitzGerald trans
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - now this? This is a very clever implementation of education as a game, and it's hidden in a freckin story book!

----------

At home there was a game that all the parents played with their children. It was called, What Did You See? Mara was about Dann’s age when she was first called into her father’s room one evening, where he sat in his big carved and coloured chair. He said to her, ‘And now we are going to play a game. What was the thing you liked best today?’

At first she chattered: ‘I played with my cousin . . . I was out with Shera in the garden . . . I made a stone house.’ And then he had said, ‘Tell me about the house.’ And she said, ‘I made a house of the stones that come from the river bed.’ And he said, ‘Now tell me about the stones.’ And she said, ‘They were mostly smooth stones, but some were sharp and had different shapes.’ ‘Tell me what the stones looked like, what colour they were, what did they feel like.’

And by the time the game ended she knew why some stones were smooth and some sharp and why they were different colours, some cracked, some so small they were almost sand. She knew how rivers rolled stones along and how some of them came from far away. She knew that the river had once been twice as wide as it was now. There seemed no end to what she knew, and yet her father had not told her much, but kept asking questions so she found the answers in herself. Like, ‘Why do you think some stones are smooth and round and some still sharp?’ And she thought and replied, ‘Some have been in the water a long time, rubbing against other stones, and some have only just been broken off bigger stones.’ Every evening, either her father or her mother called her in for What Did You See? She loved it. During the day, playing outside or with her toys, alone or with other children, she found herself thinking, Now notice what you are doing, so you can tell them tonight what you saw.

She had thought that the game did not change; but then one evening she was there when her little brother was first asked, What Did You See? and she knew just how much the game had changed for her. Because now it was not just What Did You See? but: What were you thinking? What made you think that? Are you sure that thought is true?

When she became seven, not long ago, and it was time for school, she was in a room with about twenty children – all from her family or from the Big Family – and the teacher, her mother’s sister, said, ‘And now the game: What Did You See?’

Most of the children had played the game since they were tiny; but some had not, and they were pitied by the ones that had, for they did not notice much and were often silent when the others said, ‘I saw . . .’, whatever it was. Mara was at first upset that this game played with so many at once was simpler, more babyish, than when she was with her parents. It was like going right back to the earliest stages of the game: ‘What did you see?’ ‘I saw a bird.’ ‘What kind of a bird?’ ‘It was black and white and had a yellow beak.’ ‘What shape of beak? Why do you think the beak is shaped like that?’

Then she saw what she was supposed to be understanding: Why did one child see this and the other that? Why did it sometimes need several children to see everything about a stone or a bird or a person?

- Doris Lessing, "Mara and Dann"

----------
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: