FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Bicycles

Miho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Bicycles Reply with quote

Sooooooooo,

I've decided I would really like to purchase a bike for mountain biking/trail riding and also I want a bike that would be comfortable enough to just ride around town. However, I know nothing of bikes. Anyone here outdoorsy and such and have recommendations on a brand or anything such as that?
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're wanting to go mountain biking, just buy a mountain bike--they're good for regular riding around, too. I guess it just depends on personal preference as far as brand or style goes, really.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how much mountain biking/off road cycling you are planing on doing. A Mountain bike is much harder to cycle then a racer on a tarmac road but a mountain bike is much better for off road, gravel or dirt roads (dry or wet) as well as snowy conditions. I personally use a hybrid since I expect wet weather most of the time while travelling on poorly maintained city/town roads.

It really is a question of when you plan to cycle and how much you plan on cycling. If you only cycle on sunny days at weekend during the summer the answer is different then if you plan to use it all the time.

If the cycling is purely recreational then get a mountain bike. As for brand ask you local bike shop. In fact ask more then one local bike shop and tell them you are asking around. Better deals are found that way and you get good info from the pro's.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most mountain bikes are comfortable enough to ride around town. They're not optimal but they're comfortable enough.

Just.... Don't go to Halfords or somewhere like that =p they're a rip-off.

If you're planning to get a lot of use out of it Claud Buttler are a good brand. I have one from them.

Don't buy a bike without trying it though.
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more a fan of Raleigh myself, but do try some out, it's a very subjective matter. If any friends have bikes you could maybe ask to borrow them for a test drive.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Miho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, lemme ask a question:

Tell me the differences between a mountain bike and just a regular road bike?
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain bikes are generally comfier and have giant shock absorbers so you don't feel bumps on the road. On the regular road, they tend to be much slower than road bikes - but you can cross grass with ease. Their tires are generally fatter. Great for college campuses.

Road bikes (I find) are rather uncomfortable, unless you buy nice padded seats, etc. They go really fast, but you also feel every bump on the road. The tires are typically very thin, and they shouldn't really ever go across grass. I'd prefer to use one of these when biking to work.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father and I used to be pretty into biking, and were big fans of the brand 'Trek'. We had both street bikes and mountain bikes, and everything said thus far is correct. Let me add that street bikes really cannot go off the road without tipping over. Narrow tires and top heavy, tall bikes tend to be a disaster on rough terrain. My father even earned a long scar across his forearm after launching end over front when the grooves in the pavement shifted.

We prefer mountain bikes for that reason. They are slower, but the weather in WV is such that you do need the added traction. You may be okay with a street bike in the southwest, but a hybrid would do pretty well overall. For anything off the road, especially in sandy/arid terrain, you're going to want a mountain bike I would think.

Alternatively, you could get a hybrid bike and an extra set of wheels. Then you could have a set of street tires, and a set of all terrain tires. Switch the wheels depending on the daily tasks?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Squeeself

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BO4PKI/codinghorror-20

Saw this from a blog the other day. Didn't even know collapsible bikes existed O.o
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I am a big fan of Raleigh myself, but do try some out, it's a very subjective matter. If any friends have bikes you could maybe ask to borrow them for a test drive. Thank you so much for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: