FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with dogs is much like my experience with people: If you say no, it has to mean no. Especially when you're dealing with something with a mouth full of daggers. If you give in, the dog knows what it can do to get its way. If it ever starts going the other way and the dog starts listening less, that's the time to look into getting rid of it.

In my experience, it also helps to be reasonably consistent. If your rule is no gods on furniture, then letting little dogs do it is something that weakens your authority.

That's how I've always dealt with dogs/pets anyway. ^^;
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... you're right. As it happens, I've only ever had one dog in the apartment at a time. And yes, I'll stay strong. Since it's only for another week and a half, anyway.

Thanks all, for your reinforcement!

Nem wrote:
If your rule is no gods on furniture...

Yes, Nem - only demi-gods on the furniture. ^_~

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs for Alli*

Asa: I know nothing about dogs, but generally in any type of training consistency is a must. So whatever you do, be consistent about it.

Today I submitted my first piece for publishing. It's for a contest in a literary magazine, so we'll see.

Fingers crossed.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Yes, Nem - only demi-gods on the furniture. ^_~

^^;

#

Today I found myself getting unreasonably worked up about nothing. Thinking for an hour about whether I actually should have apologised to someone for some tangential comment I made that they decided to take issue with out of a much longer thing, that when I thought of it later could have been placed within a framework in which the comment made sense anyway.

Nem is not a keep the peace at all costs kinda person. =p

Still just have to remember it next time, be slower to apologise. Rarely goes well anyway.

Think it may just have been a hunger thing. Had a bunch of biscuits and felt much better about it afterwards.

Today did very little. Slept until around 3:30 in the afternoon. @_@ Cold nearly gone though. Think I made the right call in skipping karate yesterday.

Oh, and I saw the end of the first season of Game of Thrones.... I don't mind the sex so much - I'd just... prefer not to see it. You know? Is it really necessary? - Can't you just fade tastefully to black?

... Really full of energy right now. Want to go for a run or work out on the punch bag or something. But it's like one in the morning and it'd wake everyone up. >_>

Redesigning room in my head right now <_<
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again? Didn't you redesign your room over the summer?

And regarding tasteful TV: Those things seem to be mutually exclusive, these days. Sad as that is.

In other news, it's so cold in my apartment that a grilled cheese sandwich loses its heat in four minutes. I've kept an eye on the clock, it's lukewarm now. -_- EDIT: actually, it's gone now, but it was lukewarm by the time I finished it.

Went to yoga last night. Physically exhausting, my muscles are just about non-existent. It was also emotionally taxing; we did Tibetan Heart Yoga, where you think of a person who needs help and healing, and dedicate your practice to them - send them positive energy and keep them in mind. I, of course, thought of someone in whom I was very emotionally invested, and spent the greater part of the lesson with tears on my cheeks. I haven't decided yet whether it was a good thing or a bad thing. I feel raw.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no. Well, maybe I did, a bit. Certainly thought about it before and there are bits I've changed.

The main thing I'm thinking of at the moment is getting some draws in here and sweeping the desk around under the window so that I can lift the computer off the floor and doing that will let me stick some more draws in for foot level storage and that....

Well, efficiencies tend to snowball is the theme here. ^^; I can't believe it was possible to live in this room at all before I added some of the shelving that's here at the moment.

#

Today Nem stands next to father.

Nem measures father's height with tape measure.

"Five foot six," says father.

Nem measures father's width with the tape measure.

"..."

Nem measures father's depth with the tape measure.

There is a long pause.

"You're a sneaky little... You're measuring me for a coffin aren't you?"

^___^
- Issa
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went shopping for a birthday present for my mum and bought a few other things. Then I came home and helped my mum with the decorating. It didn't go well.

We're redecorating the hallway and the wallpaper just won't come off, we've tried using a wall steamer, some solution that supposed to make it easier and a few old wives tales like using fabric softener. All to no avail.

It's going to take a while.

Edit: And on the way home I was so lost in thought I missed my stop. Whoops. Fortunately the next stop was the last one and isn't that far from the stop I was meant to get off at.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I found out that I got approved for a new townhome; I'll be moving in about a month! Smile

I'm excited because we're getting kind of cramped in the apartment we're currently in, and the shoddy maintenance and drafts/huge heating bills aren't helping. Plus the new place has a patio so the dogs can romp to their hearts' content, and I can have a garden again. And the kitchen is a dream - not that I'm allowed to cook, haha!
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new housing! I'm still trying to decide whether crappy free internet and no insulation is enough reason to not renew my lease come September. On the one hand, the internet is 2 on a scale of 1-10, on the other, it's free... On the one hand, I have no insulation and the apartment is FREEZING during cold spells, on the other that's only a month or two out of year...

Decisions, decisions...

Asa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what I did today? I ran into a piece of rebar!

There's a house on the corner that used to have bushes, and a couple days ago they had men there tearing them out. Today I walked past and they were building a cement block wall. I was looking behind me as I crossed the street to see what they were doing, when bam! I thought I'd reached the other corner already and run into a branch. But no, I was still in the middle of the road. Then my hood caught on something, and my neck felt like I'd been punched. Their truck was parked right on the corner, with two huge lengths of rebar sagging off the roof half into the intersection. One of them managed to nail me right behind the ear, right on the pulse point. It's tender and scraped raw now. I'll probably have a glorious bruise in a day or two.

In other news, good work was accomplished today in SPSS, and the baby is sleeping. ^_^

Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mane: Congrats on the housing!

Asa: Ouch! I'm glad it wasn't worse! I speak from experience when I say wounds from those things can be nasty. As far as housing goes, I think the most important thing would be heating. If you can heat the place decently with a space heater, the rent is cheap and no other, better place is available for a decent sum, staying might not be a bad idea.

Today I contemplate whether two part-time jobs, a commissioned writing job, and school is too much to handle all at once.
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost-benefit analysis. Do you NEED the money? It's definitely good to work, but how much stress are you putting yourself through? Weigh financial benefit against mental health.

My temporary dog Joy is leaving on Sunday. Sad He's improved tremendously in the time he's been with me, and he'll make someone an amazing pet.

Nem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I do like karate. Wonderful stuff. People are always happy and helpful and .... If more of life was like that, you could find it much easier to buy into more optimistic outlooks on society.

I read an interesting bit of research recently, in passing, that said that helpful people tend to be thought poorly of because they show others up. I mean clearly that's not always the case - there are helpful people out there, some of them are liked. But one does wonder how you'd create an organisation that encouraged helpful people in its ranks while getting rid of the job's-worths.

Heh. Anyone remember that old song?

http://youtu.be/fz44_Sp0K8A

Job's worth, job's worth, it's more than my job's worth.
I don't care, rain or snow, whatever you want the answer's no.
I can keep you standing for hour's in a cue, and if you don't like it you know what you can do....

Hmmm hmmmm hmmm ^_^

Today my eye won't stop jumping around every so often. Well, it's not even really the eye - it's just the muscle at the very top. It's very annoying :/ Was like this yesterday a bit too.

Dunno. My money's on dehydration or sleep deprivation. Feel more energetic after having a drink so possibly. Dunno. :/ Bodies need to come with little huds so you can tell. =p

Edit: More jobspec comedy for you all:

Quote:
Desired Skills & Experience

Advanced Word (with ability to use styles, columns, insert pictures from file)
Advanced PowerPoint (working with slide masters and creating a PowerPoint presentation from scratch)
Familiarity with, or willingness to learn about, bid management processes and best practice e.g. Shipley methodology
Knowledge of Excel (for basic formatting of spreadsheets)
Typing 45+ WPM
Good English grammar and spelling for proof reading documents
Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
Pleasant customer facing style and ability to work as part of a team
Inquisitive, belligerent, self assured, passionate and single minded
Knowledge of desktop publishing programmes, e.g. InDesign, Adobe Photoshop
Creative and imaginative approach

'That word you just used, I do not think it means what you think it means.'

Honestly they have silly ideas. They think that's a graduate role, specifically they're looking for English Lit/Creative Writing grads. Rolling Eyes
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they want you to send back the ad wit the word highlighted, to prove your proofreading skills?

My dad's coming to visit tomorrow! ^_^ I washed sheets and towels last night and swept the floor, but literally 95% of my clothes are dirty. I guess I should hope for some lovely person to let me use their washing machine tonight...

TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decorating is still going badly, we've managed to take some more wall paper off but it's slow going and there's this one really high up spot that we can't reach. We haven't thought of how we're going to do that part yet.

Yesterday I went out with friends, it's my birthday in a couple of days and we were celebrating early. It was a little odd because my best friend has recently moved to Germany, it was strange her not being there but we still had fun.

I don't know if anyone else likes it but I've been watching Table Top on YouTube and I have a newfound passion for board games. My friends bought me two versions of Munchkin. I can't wait to play. ^ ^

Oh, and one friend also bought me a hideous mug. We seem to have started buying each other joke gifts. For Christmas he bought me this*. But it's okay because for his birthday I'm going to buy him this.

*Note: I do not like One Direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 49 of 67

Jump to: