FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nu, organisations like PETA drive me up the wall. It's all wind and thunder and they don't actually do much good. In fact by blundering in like that they can harm the reputation of places like the wee zoo you're describing. I tend to lump PETA in with Greenpeace because they make a heck of a stink without really knowing what they're talking about.

Asa, I'm glad things are looking up a bit for you. It sounded like you were having a rough time there.

Happy new year Forumites!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Re: networking, I KNOW. It's annoying and vaguely insulting - it's not about what you can do anymore, it's about who you know.

Yeah, it doesn't even make sense. I mean how does the company benefit from not hiring the best candidates? O_o

You'd think they'd manage their HR departments somewhat more tightly. But perhaps this is why HR work is increasingly being outsourced :/

Ho hum.

I'm really glad to hear that things are looking up for you, by the way. ^_^

#

Today I played some Guild Wars 2, which is without a doubt some of the best fun I've had in an MMO in a long time.

Other than a really hard fight that I've just got past that took like four or five tries. @_@ You don't realise how much bleeding damage stacks up and she [the doctor we were fighting] inflicts loads of it. Eventually wwitched my mage from a staff to two daggers - which gives a much less support oriented and more close combat/mobility oriented character. Took the fight outside (we were fighting her in a tavern) and used bits of the town square for cover.

I don't think that she's too hard a boss to put into the game that early. But I do think it's too sharp a difficulty spike. GW2 is one of those games where strategy makes an incredible difference but encounters tend to be fairly fast and mobile - especially if you're playing a glass cannon character like a mage - so it can be hard to tell quite why you're losing.

Still the best fun I've had in a game in ages though. Group formation is so organic, and combat is entertaining.

Today I met up with a woman who's helping with the old job search. For some reason felt very nervous when talking to her. I think it was the coffee I'd had beforehand ^^; Still, we're getting new search terms and so on. Which'll be really good. After the work experience I knew what the job centre was putting me forwards for was totally not what I was interested in =p

Edit: Also, pulled from a job advert I was reading that I thought was amusing:

Quote:
Don’t be deceived, this is an unbelievable career path for females, offering the opportunity to work in teams both inside and out in the fresh air. You’ll be spending a significant amount of your time during your training at our Nottinghamshire facility which hosts a 1000 bedroom lodge. Your safety and security is our number one priority and we take our pastoral care responsibilities seriously.

Emphasis added.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa: I'm glad to hear things are going better and that your family is visiting. Hang in there, and take care of yourself, ok?

Alli: They tried to pull something really silly on this zoo last year, and still hold a grudge about it. I tend to describe PETA as an organization for people who know nothing about animals. Rolling Eyes

Nem: Good luck with the job search!

Today I am very nervous, and very stressed out. For several reasons.
1.) I have to conduct interviews for the article I'm writing for my school's newspaper.
2.) I got an e-mail from the environmental center and they want me to conduct several phone interviews in order to write some stories for them. Have I mentioned that I hate phones? And interviews? And yet I have a job answering phones and am pursuing a career that requires lots of interviews.
3.) In the next week or so I will be sending several things off. I am entering a poem in a local contest, a piece of flash fiction in a contest for a newly-started literary magazine, and I will (finally) be submitting my short story from last year for publishing.

I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(It might have something to do with the high quality meds I'm on... but that's a different story.)

Nu: Good luck! Take a deep breath, and focus on one question at a time. It'll be over before you know it.

Nem: Best of luck and commiseration.

Today I'm going up north for Shabbat. I'm really excited, because I love the north, and maybe this time the weather will be better and I'll get to explore the surrounding hills more. I met someone there last time, and we might schedule a hike, weather permitting. ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks ^^;

Though I'm actually quite pleased to be getting more me-ish goals. Imagine if you got something and it wasn't what interested you, and then you were stuck with it.

#

Today was looking at one of my father's sociology essays, (He has to do a spare course for the credits so I told him he should pick one that was entirely essay based so he didn't have to remember anything.) It's... a collection of points that aren't explicitly related to each other or the essay question. You get to the end and it's like: You haven't argued for this.

He showed me one online for a similar question – and I agree that it's a bad essay, it uses paragraphs where a sentence would do and states the bleedin' obvious repeatedly. It even has basic logical disconnects in it – but they come in the middle of paragraphs and thus are likely to go unnoticed. But what it does do is to keep explicitly linking back to the prompt and the source material. And that's really what they want.

There's a difference between writing something that's worthwhile and writing something that someone skimming over the thing is going to pick out the marking points they're looking for. Someone's going to sit there with a pen and wherever they see 'this compares to X' or 'Similarly in X' or something like that, they're going to put a tick. And wherever they see a citation they're going to put a tick. And there'll be some low level reading going on but unless you have some massive WHAT?! moment in there that particularly leaps out at them it's not like they're going to expend the mental effort to follow your reasoning too closely.

And at the end of the essay they're going to look back over the ticks and the number of them will determine your grade. That's how the game works, that's how the game is played.

Still, what can you say? “It's going to be marked by an over-worked human scanatron with low-level semantic reflexes.”

I've made him aware that I think the essay he thought was crap is more what they're looking for. Said something like, "I agree that it's crap but it keeps linking back to the question. It's written for a particular style of marking." Not sure that's blatant enough for him to pick up on but equally if you push it along the lines of, 'I've done this before, see this thing they keep doing? Do that.' he's unlikely to take it well.

Feel like I'm talking to children sometimes talking to some grownups =p
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday the woman I stayed with when I was in Mozambique died from malaria.

Today I'm learning that I don't have a healthy way of dealing with death.
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, Nu that's awful *hugs* we're here if you need us, always.

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs* If by unhealthy you mean 'not thinking about it', then I can tell you it's perfectly normal. It usually doesn't hit me for several days after the fact (and it's depressing that it's happened often enough I can say 'usually'). Hang in there, and DO talk to the people you're close to. Shutting yourself in will not help.

Today I'm preparing for cast shabbos... it has been poorly planned, and my guest hasn't even packed yet and she has a two hour trip to get here. I'm not looking forward to it.

At least I have Pitzi... I'm fostering a dog for the next few weeks! He's a large Cane Corsa mix, sweet as all get out but rough-featured. There's something wrong with his hip and it make it difficult for him to run around, but he's kind of cuddly and that makes him good company.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Nu *Hugs* I don't really know what to say.

#

Today I go looking for old songs. The problem with a lot of songs is the popular versions are the ... well, not the bad ones but not the ones you've heard and are interested in. Georgie on my mind for instance. The version you tend to find is Ray Charles and Willie Nelson. If you dig a bit deeper you might get Alisia Keys - or however you spell it. The best version I've found so far? Yolanada Adams.

http://youtu.be/BMAgMJD-t9Y

Seven Spanish Angels is similar. I remember hearing it once, years ago, sung in a duet. The man's voice was rather forgettable. But the woman had this really soft, sweet voice.

Today saw Thor - which is a fairly decent B movie. Loki seems so reasonable! I really liked that part of it ^_^
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you heard about the avalanche in Scotland that killed four climbers last week, but here is the BBC talking about it. One of the men killed was a student at my old university, and someone I knew and liked.

Cue a week of total non-comprehension and an amazing fund-raising drive for the mountain rescue teams who helped search for the climbers.

This week one of my old lecturers got struck and killed by lightning.

What the actual blazes?! Does someone up there hate oceanographers?

TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hugs Nu and Alli*

*More hugs*
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs and cookies for everyone*

Asa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see various members posting occasionally to show us they're still alive... ^_^

Updates! I took Pitzi-the-foster-dog to the vet today, and found out he has a chip - his real name is Joy, he's five and a half, and the vet thinks he's a lab/pitbull mix. I don't think so - we have a lab/pitbull at home, and they look nothing alike. I think he's a Cane Corsa mix, but whatever, unimportant. I went to a friend's apartment yesterday evening and we gave him a bath, and now he's all soft and silky! Though it was revealed that he has really bad dandruff, dry skin. The vet gave me a supplement to put on his food. We also checked out his hind leg - the vet thinks he's got a ruptured cranial ligament in his knee. I'm taking him back on Sunday for x-rays and maybe an operation if it's necessary.

Also, I finally started studying in earnest for my exam tomorrow... -_- I don't believe myself this year - this is so out of character for me. Oh well. Wish me luck!

EDIT: okay, I'm in trouble. This big dog here keeps wanting to get up on the bed, and I know for a fact he does it every time I leave the house and whenever my back is turned. When I'm there I can stop him by saying 'no', but he persists. It's not like he damages anything except getting my quilt cover dirty (and a few blood spots, but since it's red anyway that's not a problem), he literally only goes to sleep up there. But dogs don't belong on the furniture! But I let little dogs up there...

I'm weakening. Should I give up and let him stay on the bed, or stay strong? Confused

spellingmistax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay strong

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you Asa, I'm a softie when it comes to pets. I used to let Jet sleep under the quilt on my bed. And I let her onto the sofa, but only when dad wasn't around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 48 of 67

Jump to: