FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today read a bit of A Game of Thrones. It's... a hard book to get into - because so many of the characters are fundamentally difficult to get along with. In the space of the first ... fifth or so... of the book? A kid's been pushed from a window for overhearing a conversation he wasn't meant to, and some poor girl's wolf's been executed because the King's wife is trying to turn his son into a sociopathic monster and a similar wolf stopped the son from murdering a butchers boy. Oh yeah, and the butcher's boy was run down by the son's bodyguard anyway.

Evil wins a lot, it seems.

But... I can't deny that many people are like that. Most people you meet don't seem to be good so much as they're never really given the opportunities for meaningful evil. If they could get away with it, if they could silence someone who knew something that would get them ruined, how many of them are you sure wouldn't just give a kid a little nudge?Historically people have been fairly evil - at least by modern standards. It used to be considered good sport to stick four cats in a wicker basket and stick it over a fire. The King's main failing is that he's weak; a fat, broken old man. When he actually thinks of standing up for something it's generally along the right lines he just folds a lot. He curses his wife before having the wolf killed. By the standards of history these are a fairly nice bunch.

However... the nature of books is to magnify evil (indeed all short term events.) Evil can be done in an instant - with all its effects. But happiness, decency, love? How do you portray something like that? They take a lot of space. You don't think so until you read fan fiction and realise that you're looking at five hundred thousand odd words and that novels tend to come in at 40k or so. You need a fairly tight focus, or a lot of space, to get those things across effectively and still tell a story.

And then there's the natural reluctance to invest that comes with so much of modern published material: Are we going to the subject to the 'ironic' twist? Death and destruction for a cheap thrill? What's the point in becoming emotionally invested in characters that are going to be destroyed either by their actions or by the story?

-shrug-

Oh and this other girl's brother is using her as a princess is traditionally used... shall we say. But that's just par for the course for these sorts of things even if he is totally petty and insane. And I know what happens to him because I saw a clip on youtube =p In a way he's the first prince I mentioned without any power.

Structurally it's a bit of a hard book to get into just because of all the viewpoints you need to be a fair few chapters in to start to get any idea what's going on.

Still. Tyrion's okay I guess (the Dwarf.) Has a habit of being a little blunt with his speech but that's not quite on the kicking seven year olds out of windows level yet.

#

Oh and my sister's gone back to wherever she's living with her boyfriend at the moment now Christmas is over. HURRAY! Hurray! The witch is dead! Or absent anyway, but same theme. ^_^ God, there's only so much I can take of her. You know? Four to six hours ever year or so, I think.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I used to think that my limit of civil interaction with my brother was three days, but that's been increasing as I get older and make more of an effort to not push his buttons. And in return he tolerates my need for huggles. ^_^

Speaking of brother, he's here! And it's so nice! My mood is immeasurably brighter. Granted, that might be because I'm eating better, but that's because he's here to remind me. And it might be because of new meds, but that's because he brought them with him. So yes, it's a good thing all around.

More good things! I have an interview today, as an editor for a diamond trading company. Editing! Hooray! Also maybe an employee discount...? Razz But that's putting the cart before the horse, so I won't ask about that.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today got nearly everything I needed to sorted about halfway through the day other than some people getting back to me via email. Uhm.... yeah. There's nothing really to do now. Managers don't get back to work until Friday - I suspect a fair few of the people I need to speak to to move things forwards aren't around until next week anyway. -shrug- I guess I'll have to see about poaching work off of my neighbours or something for a couple of days :/

-shrug-

We shall see what we shall see. Razz
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I found out I passed my winter class! With a decent grade too! ^_^

Today is my last full day at the beach--been here for a week. We were supposed to go to a nature preserve with wild horses yesterday, but the ferry wasn't running due to bad weather. "Come back tomorrow." And it is raining once more. Sigh. u______u
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a bit quiet lately, mostly because I have little to say and I've been having motivational problems.

Job hunting is going badly. I had an interview a few weeks ago. Didn't get it and I've applied for a few other jobs over the holiday period. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I hear about any of them but I don't have high hopes.

I've been thinking of doing some volunteer work but I don't know what I want to do. I don't really want to volunteer in a shop even if it will give me the retail experience that's missing from my cv. I'd like to do something with animals but I don't know if I'm strong enough emotionally.

Or maybe I should just do something in the field I want to work in. The problem with that is twofold. I volunteered at a museum for more than a year and it hasn't helped me get a job and I feel a little taken advantage of when I see adverts asking for volunteers at places that could quite frankly just hire someone. They're not really a charity and they can afford it.*

Still, I had a good Christmas, got a pile of books I look forward to jumping into and I saw the Lion King musical.

*I'm a little bitter about this.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, I know what that's like Britland. *hugs*

#

Today I killed the TV, bane of my existence.

Christmas is always a good time to strike about how little a TV license is worth and this year it worked. Now the only thing hooked up to the TV is a computer for playing the occasional DVD.

I don't know whether it'll stay gone but I'm darned glad to see shot of the broadcast media and their continual bad effects on people round here. They need a 'Beware: Area of relatively high local utility.' sticker. =p
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today read a very weird job spec. Even though I know being white is one of the most privileged ethnic backgrounds to have in terms of general Western society, and by and large my group gets off scottfree on the discrimination front unless we care to go to other countries. Things like this still make me... amused and yeah, I guess there is a hint of annoyance there behind the amusement - even for something that doesn't affect you in any really significantly relevant way. Surely we're meant to be a bit beyond this.

Taken from a job spec for an administrator:

Quote:
-Must be born again

-Must be spirit filled

-Must be baptised with the holy ghost with evidence of speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues

I just... Are we living in the dark ages here? What is this? Don't want any of them Jews or Muslims gettin' our good admin jobs. Don't want them around me when I'm a fillin' my papers, I just don't want to see it. Really?

On the one hand, at least the people that are that backwards are flagging themselves.

And still, it's mostly amusement. It's not like there's a great deal of discrimination here, so people like that come off as more sad than threatening.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:

Taken from a job spec for an administrator:

Quote:

-Must be born again

-Must be spirit filled

-Must be baptised with the holy ghost with evidence of speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues

But . . . but those last two are the same thing. Don't they know their own religion?? Oo

That's a really weird thing to put as a job requirement, too. Is that not illegal? Or was the job for a Christian company or something?

Today is the last day of break. Tomorrow school begins.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to wish you all well, and drop this off here. All of the Avatar: Last Airbender fans will love this as much as I do, I think:

http://hugelol.org/lol/54057
(also)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iga81A-wNeY

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is my first day working while being in school. I tried to nap this afternoon, not sure exactly how well that went. We'll see, I guess.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:

But . . . but those last two are the same thing. Don't they know their own religion?? Oo

In all honesty, in my experience, few do. They did a study on this once and found that atheists and agnostics tend to know more about religions than the people who follow them. So... yeah... ^^;

Tinu. wrote:
That's a really weird thing to put as a job requirement, too. Is that not illegal? Or was the job for a Christian company or something?

It was for a Christian company, but the very fact that someone can have a Christian company strikes me as discriminatory. If I started up a company and stuck a no-Jews sign on the door.... Functionally I don't see the difference.

Don't know if it's illegal or not - can't find anywhere to report it to. But refusing someone something on grounds of religion's not a brilliant precedent to set me thinks.

#

Today - well, last week in fact - I finished my work experience placement. I really enjoyed it. Great thing to get to do, lots of feedback. Think I got more feedback in the reports I wrote for them over a few weeks than I did in all the years I was at uni.

Realise not all work experience placements are like that - but if there's something going in an area you're interested in, and they're offering something more than just a reference, go for it. Smile

Mine was with a local council, great folks. Learned a lot and feel heaps more confident afterwards, got a lot of feedback on the CV front. Got lots of work done that I feel was useful too - which is always nice. I shall miss them all.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you talk to your supervisor after the experience was over about hiring you independently? You shouldn't let an opportunity like that go to waste!

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly they weren't in a position to be hiring anyone, I did ask about jobs going but there weren't any - they'd just hired a couple of guys a few months back to do roughly what I was doing as well, so they'd spent their monies in that regard. I did get put in touch with their employment/HR person though, who's going to be providing advice going forwards. I meet with her this Thursday as a matter of fact. And I've got a contact from a company in London who's promised to look into internships and possibly pass my CV around to some of her friends if her company doesn't have anything. Apparently a lot of it's about networking these days O_o

*shiver*

Anyhoo, I'll keep it in mind when I next do something like this. I do appreciate the care.

*hugs* ^_^
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my school newspaper received a letter from PETA, chastising us for posting photos from a local zoo that they've had their eye on for the past year or so.

They said the animals at the zoo were not receiving proper veterinary treatment, and that we should be ashamed for posting photos from such a nasty place.

I . . . what? The people who run that place are veterinarians. Very, very good ones, too. The place is known for taking excellent care of its critters.

Can't organizations do proper research before they send angry letters? Sigh.
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: networking, I KNOW. It's annoying and vaguely insulting - it's not about what you can do anymore, it's about who you know.

I was in the play this semester, and it was great! And then I went out to dinner last night to celebrate, and that was great too! But now I'm tired...

And my brother was here for three weeks this month! And my dad is coming for two weeks next month! And some very good friends of ours are making aliyah the day after he arrives. So things are looking up. It's a bit artificial, but there is light now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 47 of 67

Jump to: