FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have tried the RSPCA. If nothing else they could have given you the right number to call or come and got the dog themselves.

Today all my exam is over! I only had one so that's pretty lucky.
Today is my brother's tribunal to see if his section is overturned.
Today I have a meeting with my supervisor to decide the fate of my thesis.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Alli, to you and your brother!

Yesterday work was crazy, again. Sigh. They tell me that second shift isn't normally that busy. I'm starting to think people are lying to me. That or everyone knows there's a new person on the phones and wants to give me lots of practice.

Yesterday my trainer and another co-worker traded stories about how badly they'd messed up to make me feel better and connecting the wrong people. It made me feel a lot better--knowing that I ould mess up and mess up a lot worse and not get fired.

Yesterday my boss said that she's launching me out on my own after Christmas. Eep.

Today more work, and I have another eye infection. Time to see the doctor. *sigh*
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he's been getting better, Alli ^_^

#

Today found sticky fingerprints on my pot of honey.... Seems unlikely I'd have left them there myself, one of my pet peeves is people who leave sticky fingerprints on jars. I mean why? How do you even -- what do you do? Bathe in it? Surely you don't try to spread it with your fingers?

The jar has been moved to a secure holding facility, (aka my room,) until further notice. >_>
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Nem seems to be channeling a certain silly old bear.

Brother's section was overturned. He is no longer confined under the law, but he has agreed to continuing treatment. Everyone is much happier all round and it feels like there might be an end to it now.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is my first night working third shift. And I have not had enough sleep. Sigh. We'll see how this goes.
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is almost 6 am, I am still awake--due to copious amounts of caffeine and sugar, I think. Spent several hours watching videos for my history class, I don't think I absorbed anything, though.

Apparently there was a meteor shower tonight, and I missed it. Sigh.

Sleep sounds like a really good idea, right now. Still got around an hour left on shift, though. Soon.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my thoughts and prayers are with the families of those lost in Connecticut.

The news is saying an entire classroom. Of Elementary School students.

I . . . why?
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my thoughts are with the families of Newtown, Connecticut.

There are no words.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could write a long, detailed post about the kind of people who commit these atrocities. I could talk about their mental state, what drives them to that point of hopelessness, that point of feeling that something so horrible is the best option for them. I could write about legal reform and psychological needs and all sorts of other things - as I'm sure a lot of people will, in the coming weeks.

At the end of the day, there are way too many children who didn't make it home today. Too many who won't grow up..

I don't have the answers. Honestly, I don't know if there are answers... because I don't think logic and reason can really solve something so incomprehensibly malevolent and.. wrong.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Today my thoughts and prayers are with the families of those lost in Connecticut.

The news is saying an entire classroom. Of Elementary School students.

I . . . why?

:/

*shrug* ... why not? Because you've got people you care about, and you look at kids, and, even if you don't love them, they don't seem bad enough to kill, right? Because... your feelings hook onto things in the world - particular sets of stimuli in particular situations, and your feelings are the result of having been given particular experiences with a particular starting point and living a particular life.

But it's easy enough to imagine a great many different narratives. Narratives where you go to school and other kids are all that goes wrong with your life - and you look at them and that hate's all that's associated with them. Where your dislike becomes so general that anyone can do ... and years later all that hatred's just built up, one wrong doing building upon another until the image you have of where it all went wrong is a kid, and they're guilty of everything.

... Maybe he felt his mother loved them more than him.

Or it could have nothing to do with the kids themselves. Like I said, you can imagine a great many different narratives, you just have to associate something unpleasant with them - or not associate very much that's good. Loneliness can be as powerful as hatred in its way.

Or maybe he'd just been given a bunch of anti-depressants or something and gone nuts - it's not as if it doesn't happen in a certain portion of the population. Maybe he saw a kid on the back of a cereal box and it just happened to spark his imagination at the wrong time. Maybe he saw kids as a convenient way to strike at their parents. Maybe he was just trying to get the high score and thought it would be a relatively soft target.

Maybe he just saw something like it on TV and it seemed the assigned role for people in his position.

There are lots of potential reasons why.

#

It is interesting that so few of these shooters are girls. To a point where I can't think of one off hand. I wonder whether that's just because girls are expected to like kids more, or whether there's something expressly neurochemical going on there, or maybe just that their culture is less violent, or because they tend to have access to wider support networks or....

But it's not as if girls don't get lonely at all. It's very odd to me. I wonder whether it's something we can steal from their culture and what the trade offs are.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was a rhetorical question. I know, theoretically, what can push someone to do that.

From a psychological standpoint, it likely has to do with problem solving/coping strategies. They're different for each gender.

Women employ emotion-focused coping, which means they're much more likely to internalize problems to deal with them. Men use problem-focused coping, which means they are far, far more likely to choose action or some sort of physical response to deal with stress or an issue.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this, and it seemed appropriate to share:
http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html?m=1

I've dealt with a lot of people with mental illness in my life. I've encountered and even experienced it, though my experiences weren't with violent outbursts (or at least not uncontrollable). The issue with trying to understand these actions by these shooters is that it's an attempt to put rational reasons to these actions. To be honest, there aren't any.

When a person who has that violent side goes, they're gone. There is no rational reasoning, there is no... comprehension. There is only one goal, one drive; and that is the ruthless execution of whatever revenge the person feels the need to exact. It's like their personality is subsumed, and they become very hollow, near fully emotionally vacant. :/

As for why he chose a school? It was probably his mother who was the real target, some sense of "completing the set" as it were (she was the last of his family, as I understand. He had hunted down everyone else. When he got to her, his full effort would be dedicated to inflicting his pain and rage on her. Given that she was a school teacher, and knowing teachers as I do (my family has been involved with the school system my whole life), I know how much those kids meant to her.

By that point, I suggest that he was totally blind with rage. Then, when he finally had sated his fury, he came "out" of his blind fury, and realized what he'd done. As with almost every gunman before in these situations, he at last turned the guns on himself. I think, most likely, when he first was sane enough again to realize what the past few days of his life had entailed.

As for the gender disparity, this violence in mental illness takes, most commonly, two paths. It is generally more common for males to act outwardly, as Tinu mentioned. They operate on changing the world around them on a large scale. It is generally more common for females to act inwardly, again as mentioned. This tends to induce self-destructive habits. Some women will act out on a small scale, but generally only within their immediate social or familial group. The gender disparity actually follows almost every crime; women are more likely to kill with poison, men with weapons; women are more likely to use social weapons, men physical; and so on.

Removing guns won't really solve the underlying problem. So long as we refuse to acknowledge that this mental health problem is a social one, and approach it from a proactive stance, those families that can't afford the exorbitant hospital fees (north of $1000 per month) will continue to fail to stop this from happening. Why?

Because how the heck do you actually expect someone with no training to succeed, where professionals who treat these disorders fail? So long as it remains taboo to get help, but the media circus nearly idolizes these mass murder events with weeks of conversations and air time, we're always going to see people who realize that all the lack of understanding, the wrongs, the ill intent, the bullying, the suffering that people have inflicted on them can be given back out. And everyone will hear about it. And everyone will know how much they had to have suffered, to do a thing like that.

And when the part of themselves which is capable of social awareness comes back, usually when the wrath is dated and they become self aware again (I stress that they are not self aware in the wrath state), how many have not then turned the guns on themselves?

This isn't an atrocious crime by one person. This is a failure to recognize a lethal illness before it spreads. By the time the illness manifests, and they turn into a being with no idea of "self", merely a vessel for anger, the illness has taken one life. It's likely to take dozens more shortly after. And, like most illness, it then begins to spread. It infects another troubled mind with an avenue of expression.

And it's a horrifying avenue, if I'm honest. But it's the one the mindless wrath will resort to, when lashing out at single individuals fails.

(sometimes, my study of psychology depresses me.)

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just poking my nose in that explanation to remind you that human beings do not have to be mentally disturbed to commit atrocities. I hold up the Stanford Prison and Milgram experiments as exhibit A.

The shooter has no record of violence, no criminal record, and if he has a mental health record it has not been released to the media, as of yet.

His mother also was not a teacher at the school, or in any way related to it, and the shooter's father and brother are still very much alive, well, and as confused as everyone else.

Sometimes, people snap, and you're right, there is no rational explanation for it. someone doesn't need to have mental health problems to do so.

Sorry, I just feel the need to point out that not all psychopaths are mentally unstable and not everyone with a mental disorder is a psychopath. Because honestly I feel that that is a stigma that causes a lot of problems.

>>;;;;;

So yeah.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Tinu. I was going off of really early reports, and so most of what I had heard (as fact) was.. Not so much so.

As for mental illness, it's a bit of a confusing thing. One option is that we take his history (which included some odd traits, according to interviews with people who worked with him) as a reasoning for abnormal mental state, and we say that we should have done something to help him - to catch something on this magnitude. The other option is that we have to realize that we really don't know what causes these things. We can't see them coming in any reasonably reliable way, or at least the slow increase of these events would seem to indicate..

Either way, I can't shake the feeling that there was a failure on some level. I feel like this could have been prevented...

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 45 of 67

Jump to: