FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is the end of the pay period. I've survived two weeks at my new job. Which is saying something.

Today was rough though. More in the venting thread.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have that work experience to be awake for in a little under seven hours. Never been good at the whole relaxing thing. Hnn. It's the waiting that does it. Once you're doing something its generally okay, too busy to think about it. Ah well. Have to remember to have breakfast and all that jazz. It's a pity there's not entertaining stuff to do while you wait to fall asleep. :/

Hope you're all doing well.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sing very slowly to myself, or set up stories wherein the main character has some reason to be asleep or unconscious. That usually works.

Good luck with work, I hope you got some sleep!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to audiobooks. Stories I'm familiar with on quite a low volume and I'm usually off within half an hour.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, did get a bit of sleep in the end - about five hours worth. ^^;

Today did the work experience thing, or part of it anyway. Tis quite interesting. Mostly looking through Google, research, that sort of thing. So, more or less what you do all the time anyway. Some people have really nice jobs =p they basically get paid to read assorted articles on a given issue for a few weeks. When you think of how much you can read in that time... Some awfully smart people working there, I think.

The only downsides are the outdated IT systems - Internet Explorer, windows xp, - and no cloud /server based note system. Keep wanting to stick things in the notes file =p

Still, as jobs go, it's one I suspect you'd really like. ^^ Should be a good few weeks.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can get them to offer you a permanent position once you've proven how good you are at that sort of thing.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is the first day I have an actual plan all the way through my undergraduate courses and up to Grad School. This may seem silly, but I've had a "roundabout" way of getting to this point. Now, I have an exact plan all the way to Graduate School (to get a Master's).

Today there are only two weeks left in the semester. Am I freaking out about Finals? Well, only a lot.

Today I baked cookies, and tried to offer one to one of my professors. However, she can't have gluten, so she declined. In response, I'm now planning to bake gluten-free chocolate cookies for her on Thursday. You WILL accept my cookies, awesome professor!

Gender roles? Meh. Less delicious than chocolate.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:

The only downsides are the outdated IT systems - Internet Explorer, windows xp, - and no cloud /server based note system. Keep wanting to stick things in the notes file =p

The computer I have to use at the hospital is still running on Windows 95. So, it could be worse.

Today is my last day of exams, and thus my last day of the semester. I'm going to sleep for a long while, I think.

Today I wonder how the Communications department at my school can manage to be so ineffectual at communicating. My exam yesterday was full of typos and the wording for most of the questions was extremely odd. Might volunteer myself to proofread.

In other news, I've had an eye infection crop up. I've still got some anti-biotics left from last time, so I'm using those. But if it doesn't clear up or if it comes back again I'm going to have to have a chat with my eye doctor. This is getting ridiculous.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@asa I think they're looking to make it a rolling work experience thing for different people Asa. But it would be nice, yeah. ^^;

@nu windows 95, so horrible, so he horrible. *shivers*

Today I've been thinking about financial services for people who aren't particularly well off. It's tricky, there are legitimate uses of credit that come into managing risk but equally a lot of people, statistically, seem up be really bad at managing money. Which top a large extent is why they're in the problem of not having access to lower cost credit in the first place. You can't live on credit. It's a matter when you pay for the risk in a way :insurance / saving is paying before the risk, credit afterward.

In a way, it's sort of like a tax on... Well, let's be kind and call it financial naivety. Living beyond your means consistently is pretty much the only way to get into that sort of debt. To have that many black marks against you.

Coincidentally also ended up looking at loan sharks. Heh, some weird stats on them. The number of people who don't know how much debt they're in, or who get suckered in... Though some seem to manage to use them as a useful, if expensive form of financing.

Don't know what people are going to do for the future, in many ways the legal loan market seems to have taken all that it can reasonably be expected to. They're getting out of it as they become better at predicting risk. It let's them provide cheaper credit to those who are actually likely to pay of their debts. So, if they don't and their competitors do, they're not going to be in business very long.

Ho hum.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:

@nu windows 95, so horrible, so he horrible. *shivers*

Windows 95 plus Internet Explorer and a ban on downloading any other browser. I can feel the darkness creeping, walls closing in. . .the end of all things approaches. o_____o

Today I've only been out of school for one day and I'm already starting to get antsy. Come Monday, I will be very ready for my Winter Term class to start.
I've already done one of the assignments . . .
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a ninja kitty gif will help you guys feel better about the soul-crushing darkness of Windows 95?
I still use Windows XP...

And for our musical crowd:

Finals. Finals and job interviews. And, next semester, apartment hunting. I fractured or sprained my foot a week or so ago, and that's healing nicely. Things are going well, have improved things with my family once more. Hanging out with friends, one of whom is graduating on the 16th. Baked some gluten free cookies for the Psych department, and they were a huge hit, which was pleasing. ^_^

Anyone want the gluten free cookie recipe? Chocolate, chocolate chip cookies. Very delicious, if you like chocolate. :3

I'm not exhausted or anything, but I really am looking forward to sleeping in, here in a few more weeks...

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today there were these dogs running around in the middle of the road. Playing chicken with the traffic. Wasn't sure who to call, found a council number on the Internet for stray dogs but it's not in service over the weekend. And it's not like something you call the police over. :/

Tried the police's non emergency number but it just went to the other end clearing the line when it transferred to the local police centre so... Meh. After 20 minutes or so of all that screwing around trying to get in touch with anyone whose job it might be I decided it wasn't relevant anymore. Someone had either run it over or it had gone home.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have animal control? In the states if you don't have the direct number you can usually call the police and they'll connect you. Not sure if things work the same way where you live, though.

Today I've had my job for three weeks, and I called my first code. We had four codes, actually, and I managed to call two of them. Two of them came back to back--a patient decided they didn't want to be in the hospital, and left their room. I called that one, and then let my coworker take over because I was mildly frazzled--what it having a weird code and having four lines on hold and not remembering who I'd paged and who I hadn't and connecting people to the wrong person . . . It was a long day, and for about twenty minutes everything decided to go insane. u_____________u

Still, I've learned a lot and don't have to ask for help as often. Yesterday and today I answered calls for pretty much the entire time. Tomorrow I work a full shift so we'll see how that goes. ^_________^
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Do you have animal control? In the states if you don't have the direct number you can usually call the police and they'll connect you. Not sure if things work the same way where you live, though.

I don't know, I tried doing Google searches for animal control and dog control when I was up there, but I couldn't see anything along those lines other than the council number I tried calling. Heh ^^;

I'm glad you have people to help out. Always nice to know someone's got your back. ^_^

#

Today Patrick Moore's dead. Brings to mind this old quote:

"We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out." - Babylon 5, 1994

Really must get around to watching all of that at some point.

Today, well, in about 10 hours, I have a meeting with one of the higher ups at the job experience thing to - hopefully - get some more feedback on quite what it is I'm meant to be producing.

Wasn't given a lot of clear goals when I got there other than to look into stuff so there's been a limited sense of progress - ya know? Nem loves his progress. ^_^;

Suppose I really should get abed at some point. Feel all, wound-up inside at the mo', sorta like a spring.

Good at a lot of things. Never been much good at living.

Starting to feel like I can maybe get back into writing a bit more though. Writing's been something I've had little passion for over the past eight years or so. Getting some of the skills back in that regard. There are things you've got to do and see - and suffer - to write stuff, but it blunts the enthusiasm for it I think. Takes some time to get that sense of interest in exploration back.
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:

I don't know, I tried doing Google searches for animal control and dog control when I was up there, but I couldn't see anything along those lines other than the council number I tried calling. Heh ^^;

I'm glad you have people to help out. Always nice to know someone's got your back. ^_^

#

Today Patrick Moore's dead. Brings to mind this old quote:

"We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out." - Babylon 5, 1994

Really must get around to watching all of that at some point.

Also, this: http://youtu.be/9D05ej8u-gU

#

Today, well, in about 10 hours, I have a meeting with one of the higher ups at the job experience thing to - hopefully - get some more feedback on quite what it is I'm meant to be producing.

Wasn't given a lot of clear goals when I got there other than to look into stuff so there's been a limited sense of progress - ya know? Nem loves his progress. ^_^;

Suppose I really should get abed at some point. Feel all, wound-up inside at the mo', sorta like a spring.

*bouncety* =p

Starting to feel like I can maybe get back into writing a bit more though. Writing's been something I've had little passion for over the past eight years or so. Getting some of the skills back in that regard. There are things you've got to do and see - and suffer - to write stuff, but it blunts the enthusiasm for it I think. Takes some time to get that sense of interest in exploration back.
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 44 of 67

Jump to: