Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tamir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on it.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I hope you both get through it okay.

Today did a bit of driving around in the mist. There's this one road you go down on the way back in towards town that's a narrow two way, things coming the other direction are a bit dazzling. Interesting colours though. Weird seeing all that bloom in the mist.

Today this made me laugh

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/third-class-rail-carriage-inspired-by-hell-2012111549103

Quote:
Rail executive Nathan Muir said: “The original concept for this came from a stained glass window.

“It showed a compacted sea of lost souls, screaming hopelessly while enduring all manner of suffering. I thought ‘that looks efficient’.'”

Mmm British railways. I recommend you avoid them if you can. =p
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree there Nem, I've been on trains in a few countries and the British rail system is by no means the worst. The trains run largely on time (contrary to popular belief) and they're comfortable. Although the prices they charge for basic service is ridonkulous, it's not that much pricier to go first class and I've found a couple of journeys where it's actually cheaper! Take that logic.

France is probably the worst. Every train was delayed or straight cancelled and the main train up through France had no air conditioning. In 35 degree heat (95 Farenheit). With no openable windows. For three hours. That was hell.

Germany had very nice trains, some of which were on two levels, like a double decker bus, so that was fun ^_^

I also hear Indian trains are terrifying.

</trainrant>

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian trains are terrifying, according to family members. Well, perhaps not so much terrifying as really crowded, uncomfortable, hot, and devoid of privacy.

But hey that's public transport for you. ^____^

Trains in America tend to be pretty empty--it's not the chosen method of travel, here, and hardly anyone uses it--except maybe in New England. It's about as expensive as flying, so generally it's much cheaper to ride the bus. Though I can't really say anything about the bus system, since I've only taken it once, and that was on the worst travel day of the entire year, so it was pretty awful.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British trains aren't the worst in the world, but they're not great either. I've been in everything from freezing cold carriages doing overnight hauls, to reasonably nice modern trains with hardly anyone on them. Generally Virgin are okay. Or were, I suppose I should say. And there are some nice trains doing the home counties to London routes, if you've the money.

I remember the first time I came back from Scotland on the train, it was proper curl up under the blanket sort of stuff. This old couple across from me freezing their socks off under their checkered blanket. I'd got a long woolen coat with me so I was okay, but I think can see what they mean in the article. And generally my experiences with the train system have leaned more towards that line of thing than the nice modern trains line of thing.

The biggest problem seems to be that the license is handed out on a really iffy system. Network rail provide some of the worst trips I've had and consistently promise stuff they can't deliver, yet somehow win bids just the same. We really messed up privatising the railways. Having the infrastructure and the stocck/licensing separate.

The best rail trips I've had were in the Netherlands.
- Issa
Tamir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, there's one thing making me happy (or less sad) about this current conflict:

Israel has attacked 950 targets and the Palestinians have launched 760 rockets, but there have only been 48 casualties (3 for Israel, 45 for the Palestinians).

Weird battle.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It pains me to see how the conflict is misrepresented in the mainstream media, but I truly don't want to get into a discussion about it.

Suffice to say: There was a relatively close call on Friday - the air raid siren went off and we heard the boom of a rocket landing - but it was ten kilometers distant and no further sirens sounded. We sort of followed correct procedure by going into the shelter once we heard the siren, and we were on edge the rest of Shabbat. However, no one was hurt, and it served as a wake up call to follow procedures exactly should it ever happen again.

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. It helps tremendously to know that you're thinking about us and our country. Please continue to pray for the safety of everyone in danger from the conflict.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'll post my thoughts about the conflict in the venting thread, so as not to clutter up the Today one.

Yesterday my friend and I celebrated his birthday! Chocolate mint pie, mountain dew, video games, and what I could get together as presents. The soda and video games is an old tradition, something we've done for literally a decade of birthdays, now.

Yesterday we also watched a good bit of football. We went to the Marshall game, which is my current university and his lifetime favorite. He also went there for a semester or two. Later we watched the WVU game, which I was ready to give up on after one quarter. He urged his fiancée and I to keep watching, and lo and behold WVU mounted a thrilling comeback...... Almost. They missed a field goal (where you kick the ball through the post at the end of the field), and then lost by exactly the number of points that would have given them.

Le sigh.

Today I am about to hop to it and get started with the day. Oh, and I'm ignoring (not really) this wasp that's mean mugging (staring at) me from the curtain above the guest bed...

I have a phobia of bees. Meh.

Today I managed to translate something a friend said to me in German. I was quite proud, given I've never had any formal German instruction! ...of course, what I translated was her jokingly saying "get me a beer", since she said she was watching TV when I told her I was making cupcakes.

You may have to understand the running false, reverse sexism joking we do with one another, heh. ^^; We have a social psychology class together, so we joke about benevolent prejudice/sexism.

Speaking of, on Friday I went to a tea party. Proper fancy cups and everything. I extended my pinky. I am not ashamed. I had a fantastic time. ^_^

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well forum, it's been a heck of a week.

No sign of the vital equipment I need for my thesis, so it's back to struggling with writers' block I go.

My brother has undone all the good he did when he was home and is phasing in and out of lucidity. Dad went to Germany to fetch him back again on Friday and he's spent the weekend terrifying us all and scaring his friends on facebook. It's a horrible situation, and not one you all need to know the details of. I did, however have an extremely difficult conversation with the chap I'm seeing (you remember, the one I've known for 20 years?) during which I gave full disclosure. It's a long story, and a tough one, and I would have forgiven him if he'd run screaming when all the details came out, but he didn't. He offered help. I am surrounded by wonderful people.

To finish this weekend of many tears and wonderful support from my friends, I have been asked to be a bridesmaid! This means so much to me because this friend has been through a lot herself. That she's asked me to be such an important part of the day is a huge honour and one I intend to do full justice to.

My thoughts are with all those in danger tonight, at home or abroad. Stay safe, my friends.

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You too, Alli. *tight hugs* Having the support of those you love is definitely the most powerful thing in the world, I think, no matter what trauma you're going through. Congratulations on your friend's wedding, that's so exciting!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs Alli* Hang in there. I'm glad you were able to tell someone you trusted about what' going on, talking things out can be a great form of catharsis.
Congratulations on the bridesmaid appointment, that's awesome! ^__^

Today is my first day of my new job.
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Nu! Let us know how the weird shifts go :/

Thanks for the well wishes folks. Brother has seen doctors and been put on different drugs so that's at least a temporary relief while we work out a more permanent course of action.

Nem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-hugs for all-

Good luck to you all! Stay safe.

#

Today I ... uhn. hnn. Have to drive somewhere and turn up somewhere else. I dunno. Events seem impose on me a fixed cost in terms of head-space regardless of their actual physical cost. You can spend all morning doing something or an hour doing something and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Gonna be a long day.

Edit: Today I missed something that was at nine in the morning that's always previously been at two in the afternoon. *head desk* WHY DO PEOPLE CHANGE ROUTINES?! Some of us aren't that... flexible. >_<

Edit 2: Person who was meant to be calling back about something still hasn't called. Got no idea what sort of schedule they're working on though. If you're ever in a customer service position, estimated times are a really fabulous thing - ya know?

Ho hum. -stress-

Cup of tea time me thinks. Tea, anyone? I'm afraid I don't have biscuits.
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother is ok, but he has been admitted into hospital. When the mental health nurse visited today he was concerned that caring for him was causing too much stress for my parents and my wee sister, so they've found a bed for him in a nearby institute. I'm flying home on Thursday even though Mum says she wants me to stay and work. I can't sit here while they're going through hell. I'd never forgive myself.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alli, I'll keep sending well wishes and good vibes your brother's way. Your entire family's way, in fact. Hang in there.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 42 of 67

Jump to: