FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, can I let you in on a little secret, forum? I don't want sympathy or pity or whatnot, I just kind of want it to be said. Like if I give it breath and life, maybe it'll fly away.

Being in this large city all alone, knowing no one within five hours? I'm kind of scared. Since the surgery, though, I've refused to allow fear to hold me back any longer. In fact, my first day here I realized that I was holding on to all of these prejudices, these assumptions about people I'd never met before.

I'm glad I came. I'm glad I could work to take these prejudices down again, never knowing I had built them. I'm still scared, but it's a good scared. It's like dirt, in a way. You can't ever clean it until you look and see where it is. Then it's a simple matter, in a way, to remove it. It can be a bit painful to scrub it free, but when you're all done you can see things much more clearly again.

I'll bear the weight of my lessons gladly.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a pretty natural reaction, Usa. I grew up with a belief that people from NYC were rude and mean. And while it's definitely a different culture, most of people I met were really nice, and I think you've already discovered that.

NYC is a huge city, and it is scary if you're not used to it. It's one of the things I didn't like about it--it seemed like an easy place to get lost. Not just directionally, but like a good place to go to drop off the radar. That's scary.
I think you'll do find, though. You're a friendly fellow who can take care of himself, and if you do happen to run into trouble, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to lend you a hand.
Chin up! =)
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss

;p I'm not too worried about it, honestly. I had a bit of a freak-out moment, but then today things were pretty calmed down. I actually had down time in Times Square, which was spent chatting up the locals a bit. There are some really interesting people here, and I enjoy hearing their stories.

As for dropping off the radar, it is kind of scary. It kind of reminds me of distant past, to be honest. There were times where I would do that; drop off the radar, get into the back alleys, run with bad crowds, all that. So I'm not unfamiliar, and that's why it truly doesn't worry me to wander around Manhattan after dark.

Today I decided on the topic for my Social Psychology term paper. I'm going to write about the effects of language on social interaction. On campus, I experimented with ordering food in different languages. Here in NYC, I've observed people bantering back and forth several languages until they could find one they could translate into. For instance, a woman who spoke primarily Spanish and English was explaining how to get around to a man who spoke Italian, but very poor English. Every so often, they would stop to work out an Italian word by using the Spanish words. It was very cool.

So, my term paper's topic will be the role of language in social interaction. We require language, obviously, but how do we get around language? Should be interesting...

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common ground understanding! Don't forget to look in socio-linguistics sources as well as psychology for this paper, since that's basically what you're writing about.

Yesterday I attended the final night of auditions, just to answer questions outside and keep people occupied, and ended up getting called back in after it was over to read another part. A jumpstart on callbacks, they said. It's a minor role, but one that seems very complex, and has a major influence on the storyline. So whichever way I'm cast, I'm okay with it.

At auditions, a friend of mine who tried out forgot her key. We decided I'd give it to her today in class, but at 12:30am she called me, locked out of her apartment. So we decided she'd come and sleep over, and go back in the morning. It was good - she likes the apartment. ^_^ Look at me, pursuing human interaction!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, went to the interview. Don't think it went badly. There was the usual awfully designed IQ questionnaire.

Do arithmetic in your head - because that's what you do when numbers matter Rolling Eyes Compare these two columns of names, numbers, etc - and say which entries don't match....

Complete waste of time, of course. Doubt very much it correlates significantly with anything. Quite amused they asked for a B in GCSE maths and then had simple arithmetic questions.

Still, we shall see what we shall see. Nem looks forwards to the day when we can all be granted a basic hotfix to peripheral systems and do away with this sort of nonsense forever.

Anyway, yes - felt reasonably optimistic about it until my mother asked how it went. Talking to family about that sort of thing always makes you feel.... Bleh. Like you're being called to make excuses for yourself. They're talking to you and it's not about themselves, ergo there must be something wrong. -shrug-

Today Nem mourns the absence of portable data. He wants to get his notes available on his phone and his computer. His notes database is currently embedded in Opera. Which is really convenient because most of his notes ARE made while browsing the web and having them all and F4 key away and readily searchable all the time is awesome - but isn't very portable.

There is a program that will sync them between the phone and the computer fairly easily - evernote. But... actually getting the Opera database into the program.... Pesky.

Not something you want to do by hand too much either. There's like a thousand notes in there ranging from essay length, to lists, to just little snippets and constants and so on. It's like the other brain =p
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was offered the job at the hospital. And I took it. WOOP!! ^_______^

Graveyard shift and zombie weekend modes here I come!
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations nu! ^___^
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Nu!

Today I return home. I'll fill out the final day of the Adventure thread here in a day or two, but some things have come up that require my full effort at the moment. So, back into it we go. Hit the ground running, as the saying goes!

Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Usa, hope the break does you good.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does having picked up a bit of a Jersey accent count as "good"? If so, I'm doing really good. If not... well, I'm still pretty good.

Today I have a headcold. Given where I've been all weekend, I anticipate this is the strain of the common cold which has brutally slain all of its kin, leaving it in a Highlander-esque "The One" position, superior to all other illnesses. That's how I'm consoling myself, between tissues.

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today talked to the job centre woman again. You get an advisor you see once every month or so and a bunch of random people you see all the rest of the time from the looks of things. Anyhoo - she seem a fun enough type, good sense of humour, competent.

Today continue to read the 48 Laws. Actually got a fair bit of it read at the job centre. Hnn - unteachable excellence springs to mind.

Crush your enemies totally - do not be lured by the idea of reconciliation....

Conquered enemies can be of more use than friends since they'll need to prove themselves to you.

Appeal to people's self interest.

People prefer to believe in fantasies.

Ration your presence - to a fairly high degree - to create value.

Don't isolate yourself or you'll become irrelevant.

See the contradictions? Nem does. For most of the examples of people doing things in that book that go right you can find other examples, sometimes a few chapters back, of it going WRONG. Of course you don't want to make appeals to the morals of ruthless people, or to waste people you might be able to use, or to isolate yourself completely or to spread your presence around a lot.... But a whole heck of a lot of this is just common sense. It's like going 'Don't make strong ruthless enemies' and then pretending you've said something profound.

The difficult bit is judging when to use a particular approach to make friends with someone. And when you can't. Which the book doesn't really touch on.

Still, we shall continue the slog. The historical anecdotes are amusing if nothing else. =p

Today I continue to get spam emails.... Who actually buys anything from these people? Someone must. But if you ever had a decent reputation this sort of thing would totally tank it.

Today the old earphones continue to try to fall apart. Hmm. I'll have to replace them at some point :/ and they're - or were - really comfy. And decent sounding - for what I spent on them.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem, when was the book written? A lot of times books that were written a long time ago say things we today think are obvious, but that's only because we've had time to get used to the idea. You might think it's common sense, but that might only be because this book (or others like it) brought those ideas to light long ago.

Today this is my schedule:
6:30 - wake up, hit snooze, get up, check email.
7:30 - leave for campus.
8:00-12:00 - first lecture
12:00-4:00 - second lecture
4:00-6:00 - third lecture (opted in, I have friends there)
6:00-8:00 - one-on-one learning session (opted in, there's this book I really want to study)
8:00-? - Auditions call-backs. Dunno when I'll be home.

That's a super-long day...! Confused

Nem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Asa: 1998, apparently. Which is more recently than I thought it would have been. I'd heard, from a friend, that there were very few good management/communication/power-politics sort of books written after the 80s, yet this one is held in fairly wide regard.

Today had a fairly positive meeting with the local council. Don't know whether anything will come of it but they had interesting stuff to say anyway ^_^

Today feels like I'm running an hour or two behind the clock. Which isn't bad - more time's always nice. ^_^
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Asa: that does seem like a long day! It also seems like a fulfilling one.

@Nem: Honestly, a book of proverbs tends to be as good as colloquialisms of proverb-like advice, in my experience. That said, the book seems to be focusing on one thing: balance. Balance between "light fires under people" and "don't burn your bridges". (Hey, look, I could be a vague author....)

Today I post a really "fun" situation in the venting thread.

Today I listen to my dubstep.

Today I finish writing papers, and working in homework.

Today, I think I will talk less, withdraw a bit, and focus on providing good books for the world to read after I'm gone. I shun such spotlight as is thrust upon me.

Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I spent about half an hour looking up quotes by Friedrich Nietzsche and Barack Obama. For some reason, this combination amuses me greatly.

I'm considering making this my new signature. What do you think, Forum?
"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" - Barack Obama

Edit: My Ubuntu install of Chrome is showing our little "@So-and-so" things as Twitter links. o_o Is this integration with some of the stuff I have on Ubuntu, or is anyone else getting this? (I think it may be an app I have installed inside Chrome).

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 39 of 67

Jump to: