FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

I miss snow...

Crying or Very sad

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing just fine. Some friends on campus put me up for the night, and a floor is far better than a cold car all night!

From what my folks tell me, power won't be back until Saturday. Looks like I'll be showering at the rec center, heh!

All is well. Thank you guys for the concern. Half the reason I can get out of those crazy situations is having been in them so often before.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today someone next door is destroying a wall. As they have been for the past 3 days.

Murder's not really wrong per-say....

I feel a trip to the bookstore coming on. Or maybe just to Amazon.co.uk - the local bookstore doesn't have very many good books. Lots of books mind you, just not very many good ones.

Today poking through the 48 laws of power again. This guy's really got a pessimistic take on everything. I think I've finally found someone with worse PR than myself. Razz Don't think he's very smart either. Contradicts himself a lot.

Still, it's often good to read people who you don't necessarily agree with.

Edit: OMG, it's Halloween. >_> Trick or treaters at the door is the only reason I know.

I remember, back years ago now at school, when we had a dressing up day - I came dressed perfectly normally other than the fact I was wearing a sword. =p

"What did you come as?"
Nem only grinned.

Little things like that are fun ^_^
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got a call for an interview for that job I really wanted. Interview is friday. Woo! ^___^

The job itself is a 3rd shift job, which . . . will be interesting, we'll say. But I'd rather stay up all night than work retail during the holidays any day.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Nu! And if you ever want someone to keep you company on third shift, I tend to never sleep. :p Actually, that's not all the way true. I do sleep sometimes.

Anyhow, be careful on third shift. That's overnight, right? I used to work a grocery job, third shift, and I never adjusted to sleeping after the sun came up. I ended up relying on sleeping pills to get any rest, and most often would get involved in stuff going on until it was four hours before work. I was not an overnight success.

Today (last night) I drove home for the first time since the storm. It was surreal, almost like a war zone or something. No lights anywhere, smashed cars here or there, debris of fallen trees more often than clear ditches... It was just surreal. I grabbed some clothes and my netbook, and headed over to another friend's house to crash in he and his fiancee's spare bedroom.

Today I realized that my support network of friends is pretty much awesome.

Today my trip to NYC may be officially (if you'll pardon the pun) sunk. I was supposed to fly into LeGuardia on Friday. I believe LeGuardia is still underwater. Apparently your NYC tickets don't hold water when they become tickets to Atlantis.

Okay, no more puns, I'm all washed up.

Today, one more midterm... and then midterms are over. I could sing in the streets...

Stay warm, stay safe, forumites.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Nu': If you get onto being awake at night, you might want to get yourself some blackout curtains or blinds or something that kill the light off in your room when you're trying to sleep. Even if you manage to get to sleep during the day by dint of fatigue, having the light on you can really mess up your quality of sleep. IME you can easily sleep 12 hours during the day, if there's too much light, and wake up wanting more. @_@;

Good luck! ^_^

#

@ Tenshi: Good luck!
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that a really good eyemask does just as well as blackout curtains. I often wake up surprised at the amount of light in the room in the morning, because behind the mask it's as dark as midnight. My room never really goes dark at night, since there's a streetlight right outside. The mask helps tremendously.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice! I will keep all of that in mind, should I get the job!
Which hopefully I will, seeing as my last interview wasn't a success. *sigh*

I think if I sleep in late enough I should be good for staying up all night--mostly. I'm not a night-owl, really, but I tend to be a bit crepuscular--I'm most awake from about 6 in the evening until midnight. If I get enough sleep during the day I can make it to 3 no problem, 7 am is just four more hours--that's a cup or two of coffee. I should be good.

And it's for Friday and Saturday nights, which means that if I do mess up my sleep schedule I've plenty of time to correct it before classes Monday afternoon.

And this is all purely hypothetical, since I haven't had an interview, yet. I really want this job, though. ><;;;

Today is November 1st, which means that it's been nearly a year since I came home from South Africa. It's mildly ironic because today I'm having friends over for South African food (yum). Should be fun. ^___^
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I write you from New York City!

Today I was wished good morning by an angry text from my mother. I don't know of any way to talk about it without sounding immature. I let her know my plans, accepted her input, but she didn't demand I not go and I didn't see the need to cancel my plans. NYC is not a wasteland. Everything is running. Some of the financial district doesn't have power..

And all I could do at home is work on my netbook with my phone as a modem. That's basically what I'll be doing here, just with heat and showers.

I dunno. I'm really bummed, if I'm honest. I don't know why it was necessary to say all that she said. >_>

Will try to have a good day besides. Will be a neat picture thread, I think.

Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that your mom was upset. =(
I hope you have a good time, regardless!

Today I have a job interview.
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Nu!

Usa, I'm sorry your mom was miffed. Was she just worried about you and it manifested as anger? Anywho, have funtimes in New York!

Today I bought some new pyjamas ^_^

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, that sucks, Tenshi.

I reckon parents think we're still kids sometimes and that probably colours things a bit. Not that I know in this case, mind. Still, miles away now. Stick your feet up, have some coffee and chocolate... enjoy the break ^_^

#

Hope it went well, Nu'! *hugs*

#

Today I got a call about a job which may or may not turn into anything. For some reason they want a passport, which I don't have. Haven't been outside the country in a few years now. I assume it's for confirming work permits and so on though, so I'll see if they'll take a birth certificate instead.

It's a temp vacancy but there's the potential for it to become permanent. And I'm fairly confident once I'm actually working on something and can learn stuff and show what I can do. If it's just whoever works hardest gets the job, that's a shoe in - so to speak =p

I think a lot of people think like that though. All anyone wants is a chance to prove themselves.

Well, no. I know that's not true. But it feels so much like it should be, ya' know? A world where people can succeed based on hard work and effort and....

Why am I growing fluffy ears?

Today the schedule for next week looks full: Monday, interview. Tuesday, meeting with advisor person. Wednesday, interview.

It is nice to get stuff fired back at you every few weeks though, even if nothing comes of it, just to be sure your messages aren't sailing into some black hole ^_^

Today feels like a night for the smell of pipe smoke and something to warm the cockles of your heart. Neither of which I have. That's one of the few things I remember about my grandfather, the smell of pipe smoke and these big squashy armchairs. He used to have a brace of old duelling pistols on a shelf too. Really big house. Architect.

It's looking back that you see all the relationships you never had, never developed. I never really knew him. Grandfather on my mother's side was dead long before I was born - smoked and drank all his life, heart attack during the night. Never saw the grandmother on that side either - my mother and her are, as they say, irreconcilably estranged; though I hear she went somewhat nuts after her stroke. Grandmother on my father's side died of... pneumonia I believe it was... The uncle on the father's side of the family was run over by a truck, not that he was a particularly nice person, used to beat his wife I gather.

Still, I remember when we were clearing out grandfather's house after he'd died to sell on the property. We were cutting a tree down - or rather I was - with an axe, and he came along with a chainsaw and got accused of cheating XD

Read an article recently from the Daily Mail - the Daily Mail is an extremist right-wing rag.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2117718/British-people-committing-suicide-escape-poverty-Is-State-wants.html

And even they can't support what the gov is doing. Cutting benefits for the poor to give tax cuts to the rich. >_>

Would you believe that those people were on the same bracket of benefits as myself? There's something very wrong when one of us can live comfortably on 15 a week and is essentially getting 40 pocket money and the other group is starving to death and hanging themselves.

I hate to say it, because I really dislike labour, but ... it's looking increasingly like that's going to be the way I vote at the next election. These maniacs cannot be allowed to continue with the madness of trickle-down economics. When the tabloid rags are disagreeing with you, and the rags that are usually on your own side, you know things are getting bad.

If Labour are smart in the next election they'll bring this stuff up and just spend all their time beating their chests over how evil the conservatives are. Get some nice mood shots of people, interviews with people in poverty, blow that up on the big screen and tell people to vote with their conscience.

Thoughts seem to be all over the place today. Potential job's 18k for the contract. I could convert 18k into 500 a month fairly easily. Well, what else are you going to do with money? Stick it in the bank for some scumbag to gamble with and lose for you?
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the well wishes! The job interview went well, I think. It was odd, though--very different from any job interview I've had before. In my experience, interviewers tend to ask what my reaction would be in a certain situation, if I'm punctual, etc. This time around the interviewer just read off the job descriptions and said "Do you think you can do that?" It went by really fast. I always feel bad because I never have any questions to ask at interviews. She seemed like she wanted me to ask questions, but I just couldn't think of any. ><;

She sat me down and let me observe another employee for about half an hour--it's pretty fascinating, actually, and I think it looks like a lot of fun.

I really hope I get the job. ><;;

Nem: Good luck with your interviews!
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to all you job seekers!

Day two. Let's do this shindig. -rubs his hands together-

Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm petsitting! ^_____^ I get a dog for the weekend! ^__^

I can't even tell you how happy I am. I miss animal companionship so much.

Correction: Today I petsat. I forgot to post this on Friday... The dog is incredibly cuddly and affectionate. I taught it to jump up and give me a hug when I walked in the door but stay on the ground the rest of the time. He made friends with a few of the other dogs (Friday night I took him to dinner with me!), but a lot of the dogs behind fences and in the street didn't seem to like him much. Anyway, he's sweet, and I hope this happens more often.

Not only that, but I spent lunch with a baby! The sweetest, smilingest baby ever, and she fell asleep on my lap during dessert.

All the best things in life: good food, nice people, friendly pets, and cuddly babies.

^__^

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 38 of 67

Jump to: