FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

60s Folk Songs

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: 60s Folk Songs Reply with quote

Kay, peep, I don't know if it's just me, but I've been pretty interested in folk songs from the 60s recently. I mean, I like them, but I also think they'd be great for teaching to my students. I want to compile a list, and work them in throughout the year.

What are your favorites? Requirements for teachability are: not too fast, not too complicated, and catchy.

I already have:
Leaving on a Jet Plane
If I Had a Hammer
Turn, Turn, Turn
City of New Orleans

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.

Last edited by Asa on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time I see my folks, I'll ask them. My mother was into the "flower child" movement, and my dad has been playing folk music since... forever. This question is, like, aimed at them. ^_^

Good places to start, in the mean time, are Jefferson Starship; Simon & Garfunkle; Peter, Paul, and Mary; and Bob Dylan.

With Bob Dylan, most of his stuff was covered in much more catchy ways by later bands, so if you find a tune from him you like the lyrics/beat of, there may be a more.. pleasing sounding cover. I like his voice, but a lot of people find it grating.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I will board this nostalgia train. Except I still listen to this type of music, so it's not really nostalgia?

When you say you want 60's Folk music, just be aware that while a lot of content was original and modern for the time, the folk music movement of the 1960's was also a revival of a lot of older music, so along with original music you'll get: ballads, lullabies, gospel hymns, and spirituals.

I've compiled a list of the main artists you'll want to look at--each name is linked to a page that lists (what should be if I did my job right) every song they recorded.

I did list individual songs, too, that I thought MIGHT be appropriate, but I'll leave that up to your judgement. Also, be aware that during the folk music people borrowed from each other like crazy, so if you think you might like the lyric to one song, but don't approve of the cover (too fast, too slow, too soft), be aware that your chances of finding a different version done by someone else in the same time period are REALLY GOOD.

Also: There's a band recently called Among the Oak & Ash that has done covers of lots of old folk songs, as well. I don't know if you'd want to look them up, but that's an option, too.

Artists:
Peter, Paul, and Mary
Judy Collins
Joni MItchell
Eva Cassidy
Bob Dylan
Simon & Garfunkel

Individual songs:
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
Wayfarin' Stranger
500 Miles
Lemon Tree
Stewball
Where Have All the Flowers Gone
Puff the Magic Dragon
All Through the Night
Canaan Land
Man of Constant Sorrow
Oh Had I A Golden Thread
Shady Grove
The Ash Grove
Danny Boy
Wade in the Water
Songbird
Both Sides Now
Cats in the Cradle
Mr. Tambourine Man
Pretty Saro
Wild Mountain Thyme
Sparrow
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Homeward Bound
I am a Rock
Peggy-O
What a Wonderful World
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
The Great White Horse
Scarborough Fair (NOT THE SIMON & GARFUNKEL ONE)
Michael Row Your Boat Ashore
I Gave My Love A Cherry

Note: I'd be . . . cautious? About using music by Dylan? He did a lot of political-style songs and was a really big fan of metaphor, so I'm not sure how well that would fit your plans. He was an excellent lyricist, though, so please do browse his music and see what you can find. I don't really listen to him (as Usa said, his voice is rather . . . grating. We'll go with grating), so I can't really pinpoint what you might or might not be able to use.

Edit: Ha! Got my mom in on this, she's been walking back and forth between my room and the living room offering suggestions.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is that list your particular favorites? If I asked you to pick five that you really really like, which would they be?

Also remember that these are Jewish kids in a Jewish school, and I'm a Jewish girl, so I'm going to avoid gospels and spirituals and things like that unless the words are really from the Jewish bible (like Turn, Turn, Turn).

Thanks for all the work you did! If anyone else has favorites or suggestions, I'm looking forward to hearing them!

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, no, I just kind of brain stormed a list. Sorry, I wasn't thinking. ><;
I can try to modify it, if you want?

My personal top 6 from that list, omitting possible objectionable material:
500 Miles
Shady Grove
Scarborough Fair
Songbird
Danny Boy

They're all slower songs though (with the possible exception of Shady Grove, which varies greatly from cover to cover), so I'm not sure if my taste in music is any judge. ^^;
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:

I don't care what you say, they do one of my favorite versions.

Also, I agree with Eva Cassidy, who has a more soul/jazz flavor but is absolutely no less amazing.

From Tinu's list (since I got home after midnight tonight)...

"Puff the Magic Dragon" is a good tune. The Irish Rovers do a pretty catchy (and clean) version of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyAdps2W-ZA

"Cats in the Cradle" is also catchy, from what I recall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c
(This seems to be a good version, and includes lyrics)

"Wild Mountain Thyme" is very... -grins and rubs his nose- Irish. I'm not sure if you would deem its content appropriate, but I recommend the song anyway. It's awesome.
Here's a fantastic rendition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV05CrUOaoc
Also, this one's not too bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKvB3g3HEPQ

And if I may suggest another Irish ballad, because I can't not recommend Irish folk music (it's what I was raised on), here's one that might stick with and be appreciated by your students. Some of them. Maybe. Someday. Meh, it gives me nostalgia, anyway:
"The Town I Loved So Well"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GlweCUixao

I'm not as familiar with some of the rest.

On the topic of Dylan, Tinu is correct in that some of his music is political. However, a lot of his music was pretty obscure until later artists covered it. In fact, Jimi Hendrix's (perhaps) most well known piece, "All Along the Watchtower"? Yep, a Bob Dylan cover.

Here's a list of some magazine's opinion of the 50 best Dylan covers:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/04/50-best-bob-dylan-covers-of-all-time.html

It might be worth having a listen to some of those. When Dylan isn't being political (and even when he is), he's a pretty brilliant lyricist.

Not to derail the topic, but hey, Tinu. There's an Iron & Wine song on there. Razz No joke though, Dylan's voice is an acquired taste, to be sure.

Off to listen to Irish music now.

Edit:
Also, a friend of mine turned me on to some Canadian folk music, Stan Rogers. Also, I forgot about Eric Bogle.

For Stan Rogers, look for...
"Northwest Passage"
( http://youtu.be/TVY8LoM47xI )

"The Field Behind the Plow"
( http://youtu.be/PUM8mXJre1c )

"Harris and the Mare" (Not to share, but it's just such a sad, lovely song)
( http://youtu.be/bQSEn-SZzpM )

For Eric Bogle, look for..
"Safe In The Harbor"
( http://youtu.be/uD5h3EScdBs )

(Or most anything else, his voice is amazing)

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton

Last edited by Tenshi on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
Tinu. wrote:

I don't care what you say, they do one of my favorite versions.

Oh it's a great version to listen to, but I'm not sure it'd be good for teaching. S&G are kind of hard to make out, sometimes. Scarborough Fair is notoriously bad if you don't already know the lyric.

It's my favorite version, too, mostly because I've yet to find another decent cover of it. I really prefer it a capella though, but like I said, no other versions I've heard that I particularly care for.

Tenshi wrote:

Not to derail the topic, but hey, Tinu. There's an Iron & Wine song on there. Razz No joke though, Dylan's voice is an acquired taste, to be sure.

Yes yes, he did a cover of "Dark Eyes" that is wonderful. Like I said, Dylan's a great songwriter, one of the best probably, but I just don't like his voice.

. . . There's a clean version of Puff? What's in that song that needs cleaning, exactly? Are we listening to the same song at all? Oo;
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Oh it's a great version to listen to, but I'm not sure it'd be good for teaching. S&G are kind of hard to make out, sometimes. Scarborough Fair is notoriously bad if you don't already know the lyric.

It's my favorite version, too, mostly because I've yet to find another decent cover of it. I really prefer it a capella though, but like I said, no other versions I've heard that I particularly care for.

That's fair, actually. I'll agree with that point. If you don't mind female singers, you might try this version:
Celtic Woman: http://youtu.be/eRV56U22298
Hayley Westenra also does a solo version which I honestly much prefer. I can't find it on YouTube, but I'll email it to you if you're interested.

Tinu. wrote:
. . . There's a clean version of Puff? What's in that song that needs cleaning, exactly? Are we listening to the same song at all? Oo;

A lot of stoners I've met think it's an analogy for their preferred intoxicant. I'm 99% sure that they're making a really great leap to connect the two. This is an example of my past making my current statements odd, please excuse me.

Tinu, go back and listen to Stan Rogers and Eric Bogle. I promise you won't be disappointed, if I've judged your musical taste at all correctly.

Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you mean this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRV56U22298

^_^ That's my favorite.

Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of good stuff in there! I'll throw in my two-penn 'orth as well.

John Denver in any form is a win in my book, but the first song I learned to sing and play on an instrument is Annie's Song. It's simple, slowish and you'll find loads of easy-to-teach adaptations.

Would The Beatles' Ob-la-di Ob-la-da count as country? I know the Beatles were mostly rock and political (and often high as kites) but Ob-la-di Ob-la-da has country tones to it and I'm sure you could find some easy-to-teach versions.

From my neck of the woods Danny Boy (or Londonderry Air, it's controversial) was first published in 1855 (according to Wikipedia) so not technically a 60s folk song, but easy to learn and poignant (so much so that a woman started crying at one of our concerts Confused she was from Ireland and moved to Spain where we were singing, so I think the nostalgia hit her hard where she wasn't expecting it).

In that vein I would definitely suggest Irish Blessing. It's a traditional blessing set to music by Bob Chilcott and there's arrangements for SATB or single voice. It's incredibly easy to learn, even if your pupils have never sung harmony before. There is a little religious message in it, but it's so vague it could apply to anyone:
May God hold you ever in the palm of his hand.

And from Scotland, anything by Dougie MacLean. He's a little later than you're looking for, but he's got some lovely simple songs. My favourite is Caledonia but it might not fit your needs.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^_^ Mostly I'm looking for interesting songs that the kids will enjoy that can help teach them English. So not specifically 60s, but that seems to be the most productive time period for what I'm looking for.

Regarding Caledonia - I taught that one last year. ^_^ That's one of my absolute favorites.

Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Ob-la-di Ob-la-da might not be your best bet then Razz

If I had my music folder with me I could give you another half-dozen songs, but it's back in the UK Sad

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a member of the midnight crew - by home struck is a nice little ditty, done a capella. Though, depending on how old your kids are, it may or may not be appropriate - nothing really rude per-say just a bit... Boring I'd imagine to people dramatically younger than us.

Land of the silver birch is a nice Canadian folk song that should be suitable for all ages, I remember playing it on the piano as a kid.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, these are high school kids. I'm very happy with these songs, even if I never use them... I'll enjoy them! Thanks everyone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: