FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, Nem!

Psh, 24 isn't old. Or I hope not, at least.. >_>

According to Asa, I'm only a handful of years away from starting to recycle birthdays. The concept of that... baffles me. I am not that old. Harumph.

Today I woke up curled around my phone in bed. Apparently I fell asleep texting, which is funny since I'd been laying down for about two minutes doing it. I was going to plug my phone in, take my medicine, all that good stuff... Hm. Perhaps exercising after my class that lets out at 9PM, thus getting home just after midnight (one hour workout, 30 minutes to shower/change, hour drive home...) is not incredibly awesome.

Crested four miles today, though.

Would there be any interest in keeping track of my progress? I could do a thread or a blog or something. Not sure if anyone but me cares, honestly. XD

Edit: There's a meteor shower coming up on the 20th, for those of you in a position to have a watch. Also, the Geminids in December should be awesome. I have a plan to view those, too. Here's a link: http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earthskys-meteor-shower-guide

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orionids aren't a very good shower to watch though, unless you're a hardcore meteor shower person. They typically display between 20 and 30 meteors an hour, which is very small. And they're hard to see.

If you want to catch a shower waiting for the Leonids to show up in mid-November is a much better idea, and a much better show. The Geminds in December are good, too, as are the Perseids in August.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
If you want to catch a shower waiting for the Leonids to show up in mid-November is a much better idea, and a much better show. The Geminds in December are good, too, as are the Perseids in August.

Sort of. The Leonids are good sometimes, but not every year. Most of the time they're slightly less impressive than the Orionids. You'll get a rare burst of super amazing displays from the Leonids, but that's about every 1/3 century.

Ah:
Earthsky wrote:
November 16/17, 2012, late night November 16 until dawn November 17 Leonids
Radiating from the constellation Leo the Lion, the Leonid meteor shower is famous. Historically, this shower has produced some of the greatest meteor storms in history at least one in living memory, 1966 with rates as high as many thousands of meteors per hour. Indeed, on that beautiful night in 1966, the meteors did fall like rain. Some who watched the shower said they felt as if they needed to grip the ground, so strong was the impression of Earth plowing along through space, fording the meteoroid stream. The meteors, after all, were all streaming from a single point in the sky the radiant point in this case in the constellation Leo the Lion. Leonid meteor storms sometimes recur in cycles of 33 to 34 years, but the Leonids around the turn of the century while wonderful for many observers did not match the shower of 1966. And, in most years, the Lion whimpers rather than roars, producing a maximum of perhaps 10-15 meteors per hour. Like most meteor showers, the Leonids ordinarily pick up steam after midnight and display the greatest meteor numbers just before dawn. In 2012, however, the waxing crescent moon will setting at early evening, leaving a dark night for Leonid meteor shower.

Leonids shouldn't peak again until, probably, the 2030's. It's Orionids or Geminids for the rest of this year, though there's a-plenty in the early part of 2013. The Quarantids just after the New Year, for instance..

http://www.astronomy-world.com/2013-sky-events.html

I love space. <3

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:

Sort of. The Leonids are good sometimes, but not every year. Most of the time they're slightly less impressive than the Orionids. You'll get a rare burst of super amazing displays from the Leonids, but that's about every 1/3 century.

Yes, the Leonids are famous for meteor storms. The last one was in 2002, I believe (it was my first meteor shower).

10-15 per hour? Oo;
I really want to say that that's lower than normal. I really, really do.

Sigh. Well. Oh well.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
10-15 per hour? Oo;
I really want to say that that's lower than normal. I really, really do.

Sigh. Well. Oh well.

Sorry... :\

Today was a good day. Had lunch with friends I haven't seen in a bit (2 and 4 weeks, respectively), invited a more recent friend out to lunch (okay, treated her to lunch, but she snuck my card out of the tray last time so that she paid for our last lunch! >_>), and enjoyed almost all of my classes. Struggled a touch (forgot about 6 words) on a French study guide. That was frustrating. Helped some nearby classmates through some Stats work, which was really cool (I GET IT!). In Social Psych we talked about Cults, which is just a fascinating (if scary) topic. Reminded me of our conversation here on ES in the Venting Thread.

Later I hit the gym. I was waiting on a new friend to join me, though he was a bit later than he said he'd be. Anyway, I charged my iPhone on the iPod dock by keeping a moderate pace on an elliptical - went about 30 minutes and 2km. Then I walked around the track with said friend, completing another 5km. There we talked quite a bit, which was... interesting. Apparently he rather liked me, if you get what I'm saying, to which I was flattered, but.. ultimately didn't really have a response to. I think I ended up apologizing. >_>

Anyway, after the 5km, he showed me how to do weights. I've never in my life done weight lifting. Most people don't believe this, given that I have pretty good muscle tone in my arms and legs, but the most I've ever done was a makeshift bench my buddy made out of copper piping, heh. One or two of the weight exercises will help me tone the underarms (which are flabby) and the chest (which are man-booby), so that's going to be good. I'm not sure I'm going to aim for "bulking up" like he wants to do, but eh.

After the weights he hit the hot tub, I went back up to put in my normal work-out on an elliptical. It was getting late, so I took 40 minutes and just decided to go as far and as fast as I could (comfortably) go. Was definitively groovy, and managed to go 4.5km in that 40 minutes.

It's not fast (4.21mph, 6.77kph), but it's an improvement over my earlier speeds (in the 3mph range). It's improvement. Said treated-to-lunch female friend runs about 9mph, so I've got my work cut out for me.

>_> If this stuff is boring, I can stop posting it. I won't be offended, I just... find it really cool to be able to move around so much, post-surgery. I've been minding my stretches, minding my routine to keep from putting strain on the back, but today (for fun) I managed to do a high kick past the point of my own head. Do you know how long it's been since I could do a high kick above the waist?! So.. it's cool, for me, but I understand it's not cool for everyone. ^^;

Let me know, you guys. (I also have pictures of the machine's readout, post-exercise)

I guess I'm just really excited because, before, it hurt just to be conscious. It was a pain I can't relate in words, it was suffocating and breath-stealing and body inflaming and mind numbing. It made me wish I wasn't alive, simply because that meant not being in pain. The first part of this year sucked. Now the post-workout aches and pains are so unfathomably insignificant, comparatively, that I think I honestly like them. They remind me of what I'm working toward, so that I never have that pain again.

Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe put it in a separate thread? then you don't have to worry about bulking up the Today thread.

Two days ago my mother returned to the States, and I immediately fell back into bad habits. Apparently four days does not a new habit make. So yeah. Why is it so difficult to remember to feed myself?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the b-day wishes all ^__^

#

Maybe you should keep a pack of carrots or nuts or something by your desk to munch on, Asa?

I weigh around 9 stone and there's no way I'd manage to eat enough even to keep on that weight if eating weren't a matter of reaching for the next carrot or whatever munchable I'd left by my desk.

Tenshi wrote:
I've been minding my stretches, minding my routine to keep from putting strain on the back, but today (for fun) I managed to do a high kick past the point of my own head. Do you know how long it's been since I could do a high kick above the waist?!

O_o That's some crazy flexibility you have going on there.

Today I just got up - so not much to say really. =p
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
O_o That's some crazy flexibility you have going on there.

As a martial artist yourself, you may agree that flexibility is more useful than raw strength! XD I was explaining this to my friend last night, the one who showed me the weights and so on. As I worked a few simple kicks against the leather bags (about waist height, nothing fancy), I explained that bulking up wasn't always best. Most times, an agile and flexible person will overwhelm a strong one. Then I did the high kick for fun, fully expecting I'd pull something trying it.

It also helps that I wear those skin tight compression leggings that you see athletes in, and a loose pair of school-branded, school color shorts. I feel like I'm practicing for the football team. XD The setup is really very flexible, though.

Today I'm amped. Busy busy busy. I have two crafting projects I'd like to finish, I have studying to do for a test on Tuesday, I have an exam and a project due in programming, and I have a mess of t-tests to work out by Tuesday as well. The t-tests aren't all that troublesome, honestly, it just takes time and careful precision. You have to remember all of the equations.

Asa wrote:
Why is it so difficult to remember to feed myself?

I have an alarm on my phone (6:05pm) to remind a friend of mine to eat dinner. Amusingly, she does remind me of you. Would you like me to send you dinner reminders as well? I think that the health required to stay alive (eating, you know) is kind of important.

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
As a martial artist yourself, you may agree that flexibility is more useful than raw strength! XD I was explaining this to my friend last night, the one who showed me the weights and so on. As I worked a few simple kicks against the leather bags (about waist height, nothing fancy), I explained that bulking up wasn't always best. Most times, an agile and flexible person will overwhelm a strong one. Then I did the high kick for fun, fully expecting I'd pull something trying it.

It also helps that I wear those skin tight compression leggings that you see athletes in, and a loose pair of school-branded, school color shorts. I feel like I'm practicing for the football team. XD The setup is really very flexible, though.

It varies, I think, depending on how much you have to play with in the first place. I remember one of my friends used to do heavyweight boxing and I'm like 9.5 stone and he just couldn't keep up. Couple in the fact that when you don't have gloves on, and do have shoes on, you're going to be a lot more dangerous pound for pound - without the minimum level of damage you need to cause to someone to take them out varying significantly - and the scenario does swing towards the glass cannon style fighters.

On the other tentacle... I rarely kick above the waist unless some idiot just comes charging in and I'm kicking them in the gut or something, most of what I do with my legs is sweeping and kicks to the knees, and I'm mostly muscle by weight. Those girls you see on TV practising waif-fu... they wouldn't last five seconds. God knows I enjoy watching Summer Glau beat bars full of spacers senseless as much as the next man, but you need a certain degree of... weight and the strength to sling it around fairly freely to get into the game at all.

When I fight, and I'm not running people into chairs or kicking them or stuff like that, I tend to drop my palm on people's foreheads - stuff like that; the off-switch things. I'd almost certainly lose a slugging match - when I was closer to 12 stone I could do it, to a degree, now I'd not care to wager on it. One or two decent body shots and if they kept going I'd be screwed. Which is an excellent reason to have a style of fighting that's very high-stakes, because for you the stakes are high anyway - but I digress. These folks on TV are lighter than me, and they're not as muscled. It's just not gonna work out for them - they're more flexible, granted, but that's not going to make that much faster to make up for the weight disparity.

They'd hit you, and it'd hurt - but it wouldn't end it. Even if they hit you in the head, I think. And chances are they'd not get a second shot because by that point you've capitalised on the opening that their hitting you made - and you're right inside their guard. Maybe if they'd their hands on a weapon early on things would start swinging towards the flexibility/agility end of the scale again but... in that situation they'd probably have been better off being a bit heftier from the outset really.

So, I guess what I'm saying is it really depends how small you are and how skilled you are whether more strength or more flexibility or what have you would be more use to you. It's perfectly plausible to be a fighter who focuses on counters and speed and form - getting those technical details right. And there's a certain body type that's suited to that. A fighter's frame, at least one that concentrates on that sort of striking, is more like well more like Korra from TLOK than it is like Summer Glau. SG has more of a dancer's frame - and they are different in what they emphasise for all the latter, strictly speaking, is probably more flexible.

^_^;
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa: Keep a bag of nuts or something nearby--in your purse, maybe. The alarm idea is a good one, too! Take care of yourself!

Usa: That's great! ^_____________^

Today I want to know why job applications are such a headache. I need to fill out more today, but after two I just want to stop. u__u
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today talked to some indian guy on the phone to try and get the PAC number so I can transfer to a different company. He did not want to give it.

"If you go with me now I can talk about different deals for you, sir."

"If I get the PAC number now then I can go with you later if I find a deal I like. There is no plausible reason for me to stay with you."

"It's just you've been a customer with us for five years and I would feel really bad if we didn't do the best to find a deal with us. You won't need the PAC number until you're actually signing a contract s-"

"NO. No, I would like it now, please." (Nem can be quite forceful if he feels people are giving him the run-around >_> Even if it is a bit rude to cut someone off while they're speaking.)

"Okay sir, I've just got to read out some terms and conditions for you..."

Oh my god. I've never talked to these people before - it's not really my account. Well, it is but I'm not paying for it at the moment. These guys are friggin' con merchants. I don't know about before, I didn't have anything particularly against the company, but I'd never go with 3 after having that conversation.

Especially not when they wanted 35 and a 150 payment for a galaxy S3 - which I know I can get for 21 from O2 with a free handset. Or 13 from someone else with a 150 payment. Seriously. How do these people stay in business?
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usa - no, that's all right. Thanks though. Remembering to feed myself is the least of my problems, actually, since I usually remember to eat something at least twice a day. It's the forming of every other necessary schedule which causes me real difficulty...

Nem: Waif-fu... I like that. ^_^

Just got back from a lovely Shabbos on the Moshav. Very spiritual, and it seemed there was a larger emphasis on meditation than I remember from last time. I spent quite a bit of time both Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon perched on a rock in the middle of the hillside, listening to the silence and not thinking about much of anything. Breezy and not too hot, lots of singing and lots of music. A contemplative shabbos. There was another soprano there to harmonize with! It was so great, I've never really sung with another soprano like that. Lots of fun.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post?

Today was pretty good. Got various bits of things done, went to work but had no students, and picked up a small babysitting job for tomorrow. Also, we're auditioning for the play next week. The title is "Cheaters, Liars and Scoundrels: An Evening of Subterfuge and Deception," and I made an awesome flyer for it using this graphic as a hook. Cheers if you recognize it!

I also spent a good long while communing with an adorable stray dog whose territory includes the massive intersection a few blocks away. I've pet her a few times but she always tucks her tail and shivers. This time she came right up to me and kept butting my hand whenever I stopped, and basically jumped into my lap. Her ears were perked and her tail was wagging, and she led me home when I got tired of sitting on an ant hill. I let her into my front yard but managed to keep her from getting in the door... I sat with her in my lap for another ten minutes while she snapped at flies, and then took pictures of her while she sniffed around and trotted in and out of the gate. Finally I shut the gate behind her when she left, because my resolve was weakening... Now I'm entertaining wistful fantasies of adopting her. She's so cute and affectionate! And yes, I thoroughly washed my hands.

EDIT: *scowl* It's ten to midnight, and the dog across the street has been barking and whining for four hours. I'm half tempted to break him out and bring him in with me so he'll stop crying to get back with his people.

Nem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today walked around town ... I increasingly don't get how shops stay in business at all. Everything is more expensive than the internet - you have to stand in line and things are difficult to find and....

Today applied for more jobs. I'm having increasing trouble restraining my snark.

'Dear Hiring and Retiring department....'

Why does my brain have it in for me?

Today I feel the need, the need for sleep. Possibly my brain is seeking vengeance.

Edit: It's strange how differently some peoples memories seem to work. Nem doesn't remember very many discrete events. Mostly just facts, how to do things.

Someone today was all, "I probably shouldn't have told you that - didn't know you didn't know - feel a bit guilty now." And Nem's thinking - in all honesty, if I don't integrate it into my life or it forms part of the base for something I'm interested in somehow, it's just going to get sifted to the back of the head. Unless it's ever relevant I probably won't even know that I know it.

In many ways Nem thinks the ability to forget is merciful. Obviously not when you want to remember things - then it seems like a massive design flaw - but ... there are definitely some things you're better off not choosing to remember. If you're the sort of person who can.
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today heard back from a couple of people about my CV - which is nice. They couldn't open it - which is less nice. Though one of them's got back to tell me that they could open the .pdf version I sent them.

Very odd.

This also means they liked my cover-letter. My snarky cover-letter. >_> I'm not even sure what I'm meant to be doing anymore. None of the how to get a job books recommended a measure of ... humanity, I suppose ... as an approach to marketing yourself O_o
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 35 of 67

Jump to: