FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Today I'm wondering if anyone knows: Is it cheaper to buy a new laptop screen or a new laptop?

I managed to step on mine last night and crack the screen.

Well, that depends entirely on how handy you are. If you're handy, and replacement parts are available on Ebay or the like, then replacing the screen yourself isn't so bad: http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-repair-a-laptop-screen.html

That said, if the glass is cracked, that my be a bit more trouble... depends what comes in the kit from Ebay, honestly.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something is cracked, judging by the obvious jagged lines on my screen.

Well, replacing the LCD doesn't seem too expensive, but I'm not sure I'd like to buy it off of Ebay.

Sigh.

I just got this laptop this summer. I am not looking forward to my parents finding out about it. u______u
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, wouldn't this be under warrantee, if it was only this summer?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . That is a very good point. I'm not sure it'd be covered under warranty, though.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Wait, wouldn't this be under warrantee, if it was only this summer?

The woman, she makes a verra good point!

Seriously though, for all my vast MacGuyver tendencies, Asa tends to be the far more logical one. Razz

(Ebay isn't bad for spare parts, however. You CAN buy them from "legitimate" websites, if that's what you prefer.)

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tenshi:

Visual pathway lesions are terminal? =p Nah, the internet's suggesting everything from migraine to sleep deprivation to vitamin A deficiency to brain tumour to poking in eye with a wooden spoon - ( =p ). I really do mean it could be a lot of things. You need prevalence attached to each explanation so you can start to network things together. In the absence of that - yeah, it probably makes sense to sort for the most dire possibilities first - at least if cost and access to tests wasn't a concern (which, they kind of are.)

For a supposedly fairly informed society, we really suck at disseminating data efficiently. Razz

Congrats on the test scores by the way! ^___^

#

Today I reorganise my bookshelves. NOSTALGIA. So this is where my childhood went.

The library in town used to sell off it's old books for like 10pence each or something stupid. I loved that library. Closed now. There used to be two libraries. They've got a new one open which is like the size of the kid's section of one of the libraries was and horribly out of the way across the other side of a dual carriage way.

I suppose people don't take their kids to the libraries that much anymore though. It's ... -sigh-

And then again, did they ever? I remember being up there twice a week when I was in my early teens.

Gosh, the things you miss. And the things you don't - a lot of stuff people talk about nostalgically you're just ... wha-?

I do remember watching 3rd Rock From the Sun and Voyager when I used to go swimming though. The latter was on when I went and the former was on when we got home. Good times.

Aww man, Amiga - Workbench 3.1 [Still the easiest to play with operating system EVER] - AMOS - Those old CRT monitors that were basically huge beige boxes. A game, on a mere six floppy disks! @_@

Really old SLR cameras.

In some ways it's incredible how far technology's moved in such a short time. And how far it hasn't. In many ways this - from 2007-2008ish - remains the best phone I've ever owned.

It only needed charging occasionally - and when you wanted to answer a call you just fished it out of your pocket and slid the screen up. Lots of phones these days have impaired functioning as phones.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind - they still work as phones - it's just... a matter of choice. There are lots of things they do well now that feature phones, like the one pictured, didn't do at all.

I must admit that I've never really been that into social media and the internet on your phone. Hundreds of people talking about nothing. And I do worry about that.... Back in the early 90s, I don't know if you recall, but people were worried about commoditising human interaction. And I worry, we're going too far in the opposite direction. Back during the 90s the internet was more a place for people with something to say to extend what they talked about into an online realm - to share with other people. A site would be formed around a particular interest and contain very in-depth information about that interest.

Yeah... about that.

And there are still sites like that out there, but they're harder to find. If you search for Lancaster Bomber in google, the first page is wikipedia - and the rest of it's.... news articles and the like. Crap. You search for karate you'll get wikipedia, telling you what karate is, and a bunch of sites telling you where people sell karate lessons.

And wikipedia has been being dumbed down a lot. A bunch of arguing folks talking about what needs to be deleted. I've seen lots of hard work on there vanish because someone with no idea what an article is about thinks that things need to be cleaned up.

It's like... lowering the price of information, lowering what you need to stump up for entry to a marketplace of ideas... has rather messed things up.

Where was I? Ah yes, reorganising my books. >_>
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplification is problem everywhere, at every level of education.

Phones: I've always preferred separate, dedicated devices rather than an all-in-one. I searched long and hard for my basic flip phone, and the only reason I got one with a camera is because they simply don't make them without anymore. Pretty soon there will be nothing but smartphones at all.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I hope not. My eyes aren't always so good, so I like to have the buttons so I can feel my way around the phone. Also, I break expensive things. I like my cheapy little phone.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phones: I can see the attraction of having all the devices in one. Even that little slide phone has a camera on the back - though not a very good one. The problem for me comes in sacrificing functionality to have them all in one. Especially when I can't think of too many advantageous properties that come from doing so. We've got incredibly powerful sensors/processors in our pockets all the time and what are the main aps going to be? Camera, music, maps, phone, internet, and texting.

Internet wise I think I'd rather use a tablet. And the rest... ho hum.

Still, it was nice when that guy had a heart attack recently that we could have someone there looking up the treatment recommendations while we were giving him first aid. Even if we did kinda already know it =p Things like that make me glad to have them.

---

Today went to a significantly more thorough optician. She didn't find anything really new in regards to the after images - other than noting it was a really weird thing to notice and telling me to come back if it got worse, especially if I started getting headaches - but she did find that the eyes were over-producing oils which was messing with the tear film. Which explains the burning sensation in the eyes I've had for a while now.

Eyes are apparently quite healthy, visions nearly perfect - save for a very mild case of myopia showing up again. Which isn't worth getting fixed. Could get it fixed with glasses and it'd make distant faces a little bit sharper, which I'd quite like honestly since I've noticed that flaw. But equally if you get it fixed you may well end up making it worse.

Eye pressure's apparently okay. No visual field defects either.

Anyway, yeah. We'll play around with fixing the oil thing for a while. See whether one clears up along with the management of the other. I can't see why they'd be connected but... -shrug- One thing at a time, it's been at least a month since noticing it the first time so if it is progressing it's not progressing scary-quick.

Really weird seeing the inside of your own eyes when they're doing those slit-lamp things. Shocked
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to get my eyes checked when I go home. I have a slight astygmatism in my left eye which causes long-sightedness when I'm tired so I have reading glasses which correct this. Recently I've noticed I'm having to wear my glasses more often and through the day, not just when I'm tired. Mum's booked me in at Christmas because although it's annoying it's not inconvenient at the moment.

Today I have had a most productive day ^_^ I had work this morning, came home and had tea and a catch up with the ladies, went into the city and got a tax deduction card (please, oh please don't take all my money! I don't have very much!), did some Christmas shopping, came home and tidied my room. I feel so accomplished!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a pretty good day! Took another exam in Stats, and then rushed off to have lunch with a friend. A bit special this time, as we actually left campus! Plus I don't often have lunch with this friend. ...Interestingly, I just realized that the last time I did was the day I took my first Stats exam. Correlation is an interesting thing..

Anyway, she said she was going to wear this new dress she had bought. I decided I should try to look at least a little bit better than my usual (though, for jeans and a tee, I tend to dress "sharply" anyway). I wore a nice pair of dress shoes, leading to a realization that I am, in truth, not James Bond. It is difficult to drive a clutch with dress shoes. I'm used to having wide, heavy gripping surfaces on my feet (i.e. tennis shoes).

On the other hand, I really like my dress shoes. I decided to run up the stairs in the parking garage (as I always do), and found that as I was taking the 180 turn in the stairwells, the shoes gripped quite well. I was able to jog in them quite well also, so I've no real complaints on quality.

Lunch was good, also. *grin* We were using a class project as an excuse, really. Our project was to speak a foreign language to order food, which we tried with my French and her German. That said, the staff member knew a bit of German, and latched onto that instantly.. It's an interesting thing to note, and to report, so we'll see how the report goes.

Also, my lunch mate pegged me as "that kind of guy that girls would go to for girl talk and advice." >_> I'm really that easily pegged? Oy.. Still, at least I could offer some advice which, hopefully, will help her out. Always nice to make people laugh and smile.

Today I discovered the results of putting cinnamon in my coffee. Addiction renewed. No more lattes. Just cinnamon.

Today I plan to hit the rec center after my evening class. I'm already down to the lowest notch on my belt (I will have to buy a new belt or get a leather punch), and it's very loose right now. I'm not even close to being done yet. >:3

Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, Usa! ^_____^
Need to hit the gym too. Next week . . . after my brain has repaired itself.
-_-

Today I discovered that travel plans I had assumed to be hypothetical are actually happening. So. In a yearish I will be going to visit my brother in India. For three months. Yipe.

Which means that my sister-and-law's joke that I should spend three months in India learning to play the sitar wasn't actually a joke. Huh.
Well, what else am I going to do for three months?
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry. Oh, man the curry... Love spicy food! Honestly though, just walk around. Troll Wikipedia for places to visit, things to see. Be a tourist. Then do something absurd. Listen to the locals. Haggle in an open market. Find someone to share a laugh and a meal with. ^_^

The rec center (which is what most universities call their gyms now) was very cool. I know this isn't impressive on its own, but I went 3.5 miles in a bit over an hour. I'm dreadfully out of shape, but that's not a bad start, you know? Plus, I've got to work my way back. The important part is that I feel great afterward, so I know I can comfortably put myself at that level. That means I can push it some.

We'll see if I can walk tomorrow. XD

Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go biking somewhere, visit a crafts market, go hiking, take pictures. Learn Hindu. Meet your sister-in-law's family. Take pictures.

My mother's arriving today!

TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride an elephant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 33 of 67

Jump to: