FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Maeniel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of maple syrup, 600 barrels were stolen in New Brunswick a couple days ago.

I must try this jam-in-tea thing.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa: You'll find things are the same everywhere. When I was in Mozambique people were constantly asking me to say hello to Barak Obama for them the next time I saw him. Wink

If people have nothing else to relate distance/degrees of separation to, then they tend to not have the best concept of space.

Today was the first day of my park's fall festival. 30,000 people. Where the heck did they all come from?? @_______@

Today I really want to collapse into a boneless puddle of goo so my back, feet, and knees will stop hurting, but we have company over, so boneless goo will have to wait.
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same with most countries, actually. I know it sounds cliche, but I have been asked in all seriousness whether I knew the royal family. We managed to persuade this person that I was Kate Middleton's cousin Razz

A friend of mine is from Russia and she gets asked if she lives near St Petersburg. It takes 26 hours for her to get to St Petersburg, but unless she uses it as a point of reference people can't get a lock on where she lives.

I have a friend from Idaho who says he lives near Seattle, because that's the nearest town people might have heard of.

If you don't use a point of reference people are familiar with they can't work out where you live, so instead of asking if you live near a place maybe they're asking where you live in relation to it.

I have no explanation for the degrees of separation though Razz

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows the English all live in hobbiton, drink tea and are all gentle. Don't mind the British Empire, never happened Wink

Today went to see the optician. Apparently structurally the eyes are alright. Though I'm not sure how that can be true given the presence of floaters in the left eye - that seems like something that would count as a structural defect - still whatever. Slightly short sighted, apparently, but that's nothing to worry about - same result I got the last time I went in that regard.

Not sure how reassuring it all is. I'm fairly sure the degree of after images I've been getting aren't desired behaviour. On the other hand they have been diminishing somewhat so maybe it's just.... stress or something? God knows. About seven years ago now half my visual field completely vanished for a number of hours so there's certainly a history of unexplained weirdness from this system.

I want to download the human 2.0 service pack, but I haven't been able to get in contact with the developer through her website. The legacy drivers don't seem to work on the newer architecture either.

I don't know - it's one of those things where you need to trust the people you're talking to about it. And Nem's trust in the good sense of most people is... questionable.

Apparently the refresh rate of the eyes, so to speak, is too variable to get any useful information by comparing it to an average. However, I know that people get diagnosed with palinopsia - which is an increased propensity to form after images - motion blur, past impressions of things - which makes me place less confidence in the guy's analysis because they have to get the information to make that diagnosis from somewhere and I can't see how they're doing it beyond comparison to an average.

Still, yeah. Not sure where you'd take this further. It's started to fluctuate somewhat - which is nice. Not quite as pronounced an effect at times. In a sense it feels like - well, I guess the only thing left is to sit at home and wait to go blind. But that's probably just my innate pessimism getting to me. Though, you know - statistically speaking most people overestimate positive outcomes, it's actually quite hard to be too pessimistic.

-shrug- May have to go and track down another optician to reference them against each other. Want to get another visual field test in any case, didn't get one done this time.

Arrrggg - it's really hard to know with medical stuff whether you're just being a hypochondriac or not. On the one hand you don't want to be a bother. On the other hand - eyesight. Also I've got fingers that don't go straight anymore because I thought "T'is but a large bruise! I just shan't use it for a while." When it was somewhat borked - so going too far the other way's got a history of not going brilliantly.

Hope that hotfix comes with a more robust self-diagnostic mode. Or at least one that can distinguish between bruise level injuries and permanently borked level injuries. >_>

Edit: And now I want a hobbit empire for some reason. <_< I guess hobbits would be really good for an age of firearms a least - probably harder to hit a smaller target. Also they look kinda like children which'd probably have fun psychological effects on their enemies.

Eat a lot though - logistics would be a pain. Razz

Talking of sort of martial stuff: Have you seen Chinese historical swordsmanship? I really like this clip

http://youtu.be/R9VTu63NX5E

Because it lines up with so much of what my own research into historical teaching methodologies for karate indicate things used to be done before the Japanese formalised it.
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
Everyone knows the English all live in hobbiton, drink tea and are all gentle. Don't mind the British Empire, never happened Wink

I actually do live in Hobbiton! We have ecologically neutral houses half buried in a hillside ^_^

Nem wrote:
About seven years ago now half my visual field completely vanished for a number of hours so there's certainly a history of unexplained weirdness from this system.

That, my friend, sounds like a migraine to me. You might only have one and you might not get any pain, but visual defects like that scream migraine to me, especially since it's happened to me more than once.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alli: Hmm, that's a thought, certainly. I live in the country, so I almost always have to give people the name of the nearest city, which is a long ways away.

Nem: Get a second opinion. Also, if you haven't already had one, get a glaucoma test.

Today consisted of sitting on a damp hay bale in the freezing cold and tearing tickets and staring off into space for ten hours. It was a long day.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Nem: Get a second opinion. Also, if you haven't already had one, get a glaucoma test.

Yes. This. DO IT.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically a glaucoma test? Any other tests that spring to mind? May as well get what we're actually meant to be saying worked out ahead of time.

Edit: Got another interview lined up for tomorrow. Very polite about it on the phone. They're only offering 200 a week but there's OTE as well, and frankly not having to get into London for it is worth several thousand pounds a year all by itself. Hope it goes well - but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't ^_^

Also looking at new mobile phone contracts. Some people are clearly total mugs. 29 a month for a galaxy s3 witth unlimited talk, unlimited texts, 1gb of data. 29. They must be having a laugh. I can get it for - effectively - 22 online with T mobile and a half-price rebate for the first six months....

Or, you know, you could just buy the handset, which'd run you around 300 nicker I think. 22 over 24 months is still 528 Which leaves you 200 or so to play with before you're up to the same sort of price.

What's the betting that people don't actually sit down with a calculator and work this stuff out very often?

Was amused to hear some kid who worked in one of the shops talking about how he saw the one he liked and then got it cheaper online. Did not consider him wise to be advertising this, even if it is more or less how it goes these days. Razz
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
Specifically a glaucoma test? Any other tests that spring to mind? May as well get what we're actually meant to be saying worked out ahead of time.

I'd say ask about more tests, but I'm not sure what other ones to ask for, really.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to tell the doctor exactly what's going on--the after images, the loss of vision that one time, etc. There are a lot of things they can check out, but they have to know what they're looking at.

I suggested a glaucoma test because glaucoma is a sneaky little thing, and they're supposed to start testing for it every now and again once you're in your 20's. And it's good to know.

For example, I have unusually high eye pressure, so I'm on watch for glaucoma, and have to get my levels checked every time I got to the eye doctor. I'm not saying that that's a fun thing. Because it's not and it was frankly terrifying when they were still trying to figure out what was going on, but it's a good thing to know.

To make a long story short: take care of yourself. We worry about you. =p
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should clarify. I was mainly encouraging the second opinion, but the glaucoma test is probably a good idea also. After images are a weird thing to be facing, and I'm not an optometrist (nor have I any experience in the area). However, if you're seeing after images then there is something decidedly "not right". If your first doc isn't worried, get a second opinion.

Also, I hope the interview goes well! And no, I don't think most people calculate anything out. They simply hear "such and such per month" and figure that number seems small, thus it must be good. Most people are not overly inclined to do maths. Really, the human brain isn't set up for proper analysis like that.

I was having a conversation last night about the difference between humans and computers in that regard. My programmer friend said that even the absolute most simple, bare bones computer ever to be created anywhere was faster than the human mind. That's simply not true. It's faster at determining simple logic, but the human mind isn't really built for that, anyway. The real hang-up for the human mind is that we get (for an average person) 7 items to store in our short term memory. Some people are more, some are actually less, but it's about 7. When you start getting into long division or multiplication over time, that's incredibly unwieldy. Then you have to take the old data, purge it from the 7th slot, and set a new "holding" value, which itself isn't very stable...

Computers are very good at numbers, because that's what they were designed to do. Haven't seen many of them process auditory, olfactory, and visual inputs simultaneously while maintaining physical equilibrium and balance, all completely on subroutines that allow the unit to interface with the results of these inputs on an upper layer (consciousness).

Humans are kind of amazing.. not that computers aren't, but I'm just saying. >_> For being made up of a handful of constituent molecules, we're kind of freaking awesome.

Today, not too much going on. About to go use sandpaper and sand down holes in my car so that I can refill the holes with body putty. Whee. Inspection lapsed a week ago, and the help I was supposed to get to do this (I've never done this before) has lapsed for the past three weeks. Time to just mess it up on my own! *cheeky grin*

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Just wanted to share this sentiment with everyone)

Life's way too short to live in between the lines. Live colorfully.

Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a long shot, but sometimes problems in the brain show up first with disturbed vision. I don't know, just to keep it in mind.

I spent the last day and a half with my third-ish cousin, her three kids, and three of her nieces and nephews. Fun times were had by all. The three girls clambered all over me, the oldest was kind enough to cuddle with me whenever I grabbed her. Even the boys weren't too bad. The worst part came this morning, when one of them whipped out a half-empty thing of pepper spray and started playing around with it. Locked, of course, but the style they have here is nowhere near as secure as the kind they have in the States. I eventually got them to put it away. And the two little girls (7 and Cool wrote me a letter to read on my way home! They gave me stickers. ^_^

Tomorrow I hope to hang curtains, finally, and Friday my mother comes to visit for a week.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nu' I worry about me too. =p

I've arranged a meeting with a second optician for Thursday - failing that I guess it'll be tracking down a GP to register with and seeing whether it's possible to get a referral for whatever their eye people are called.

#

@Tenshi: Can't tell you how the interview went really. The guy did a lot of speaking about the company - to which I nodded a lot - and invited me back for another interview/come along and see what they do day on Friday.

#

@ Asa: Yeah, I was thinking brain stuff too - visual pathway lesion or something like that perhaps. From the sound of it, casting around the internet, it could be a lot of things.

#

Today went to interview, arranged optometrist's appointment. Not a lot else. Tired. Check job boards, go to sleep.

Mother and I were going to go and see a film on Friday :/ Though I guess there's nothing stopping us seeing one some other time.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
@ Asa: Yeah, I was thinking brain stuff too - visual pathway lesion or something like that perhaps. From the sound of it, casting around the internet, it could be a lot of things.

...That's kind of accurate. >_> Don't fret too much about what the internet tells you. It's probably not as terminal as it seems.

Today, after a long string of results in the 90% range, I received back my first 100% of the semester. Boom.

Today I spent about two hours on the phone with a friend while she worked on jewelrycrafting. (Her site is here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ParadigmaJewelry ) She's pretty gifted, but it's always interesting to be present (even via FaceTime) when she's experimenting. Was kind of neat/amusing/fun. Also good to chat with her, since I don't get to talk to her very often (she's a busy woman, as you may imagine).

Today, after breezing through the in-class work in Stats, I turned aside to help people near me with their own work. Felt really good to be the guy people go to for help.. Really good.

I made a promise to myself. I promised I would work hard this semester, and make up for last semester's failures. As I posted on ye olde Facebook earlier this semester, "I refuse to accept from myself anything less than my very best." So far, so good.

Edit: Well, so much for sleeping. I wonder... at what point do you give up, and go for coffee? It's already 9 in the morning now.. making around 24 hours awake, and I'm both exhausted and wired. Hm.

Today I am the calm little center of the world. I am the Zen Master.

Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm wondering if anyone knows: Is it cheaper to buy a new laptop screen or a new laptop?

I managed to step on mine last night and crack the screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 32 of 67

Jump to: