FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F4! F4!

Well, that sort of depends on the game, I suppose.

@Nem: The system in the 'States is largely as broken. It's not really set up with a great deal of accountability of worker improvement - or wasn't. There is a push here in WV for "continuing education". Basically to get people into these one or two year programs to get their secondary school diploma, or typing/transcription skills, or becoming a nursing assistant, and so on. Seems a better option than putting a fleet of burger flippers and coal miners into the work force.

Not that they're particularly detailed in their job hunting records, last I looked. C'est la vie.

@Britland: Those pictures are amazing. I really like the last two, I think. Of course, I'm a sucker for history, but just looking at those walls makes me wonder how many people built them? How many scaled them? How many didn't... It looks serene there now.

Sooooo tired this morning, but I think I'm 70% over the head cold that had brutalized me over the weekend. My nose is all dried out (owie), and my throat hurts... But breathing is easy, and there's no super disgusting effects which require tissues. Fortunate that it began on the first day after class and ended on the day of classes starting back up...

Today, I wonder if my dreams realize what reality we coexist in. The people it keeps using in my dreams are a bit dated, in terms of relevance. @_@

Today I had the dubious honor of being told that I have a silver tongue. It's been quite a while since I've heard that, and it both amuses and terrifies me to hear it again. This may seem odd, but I don't want to be particularly attractive or alluring. Part of me figures that it will eventually fade, so if people aren't drawn by dashing good looks and pretty words, maybe they'll stick around when I lack one or both of those. Hum.

Today I was finally convinced that my writing has come to a point where the characters are truly alive, and respond properly as such. So.. Now I begin the arduous labor of love of turning one of my crafted worlds loose, populating it, and transcribing the results. Time to write a novel.

Let's hope I get further into this project than I do with most.. I have a bad habit of not finishing things.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've got a month to practice for NaNoWriMo!

Today I did nothing much except try to move as little as possible to avoid the humidity. Then this evening I met up with a friend from back home to a heart-to-heart and gourmet ice cream, and we watched half of Eat Pray Love. A little bit applicable to me, I suppose, but it didn't seem very believable. Which is strange, considering it's supposed to be based on a true story.

The reason we stopped halfway through was because of a lecture given this evening by Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski, an amazing gentleman and scholar, who's been a practicing psychiatrist for more than 40 years as well as writing over 60 books and giving lectures. His lecture this evening was on happiness and how we achieve it, how modern life has sort of trained us out of it, and how to get back into it. It was amazing. I felt like he was talking directly to me, he addressed every single one of my fears and problems. Now I just hope I can apply the incentive he gave me.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
F4! F4!

Well, that sort of depends on the game, I suppose.

@Nem: The system in the 'States is largely as broken. It's not really set up with a great deal of accountability of worker improvement - or wasn't. There is a push here in WV for "continuing education". Basically to get people into these one or two year programs to get their secondary school diploma, or typing/transcription skills, or becoming a nursing assistant, and so on. Seems a better option than putting a fleet of burger flippers and coal miners into the work force.

Not that they're particularly detailed in their job hunting records, last I looked. C'est la vie.

I don't know. It strikes me that getting their high-school diploma's just them outdoing each other. They're competing with other people aged 20-40 who've got experience. You'll hire one of them with an HS diploma over one of them without, but you won't hire one of them with an HS diploma over someone with experience.

That's the angle that's got to be worked - making them competitive on the metrics that companies actually care about; which, for better or worse, seems to be of the tell me a story of a time when you... kind.

I fear that they may either have to be self employed, be in a low-investment industry with high turn-over, or be given short-term government jobs....

Today I wrote a lot in response to something that I doubt anyone will pay much mind to really. Not something I wrote for here mind.

Hnnn. You ever get the feeling that people ask questions because they want to ... not precisely hear themselves speak, or feel like they're in on a secret. But... like a really long verbal handshake? Talking because the alternative is that they're all alone looking into a black abyss of a future with no interests and no friends, rather than because they're interested in a subject? Conversation as a distraction - humour over content and truth.

I feel tired. It's three in the morning. Possibly there's a correlation. >_>
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. Interesting language difference there, Nem. I think Usa meant post-high school - a college degree.

And yes, I do know that feeling. It happens at the bus stop quite frequently.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god, interviews so stressful >_<

What would other people say about you?

Gwuh? I don't know. Not that I said that mind. Which people?

Anyway, that took about a quarter hour. I don't expect to have passed and I'm blushing like crazy now for some reason but. Whew yeah.

What's the hardest you've worked?

I dunno. I don't recall working hard before >_< I've worked through boredom but working hard? What does that even mean? You do or you don't, in my book, there isn't any working harder or less hard.

What were you most proud of?

Well to be perfectly honest the accomplishment I'm most proud of is a set of crappy shelves I made because they were the first thing I really did for myself and not just because I was ordered to. >_>

Eeeee. >_< Phew. I think I muddled my way through it, (with various pauses for frantic memory-calls. "Oh my god, brain! We were thinking about this sort of thing last night! What was it you'd thought of again! I don't know, I'm busy being nervous - call back later or make it up on the spot!" >_< )

But man. That was not fun.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usa was talking about uni. There's been a similar move in my state. Small technical colleges that you can go to to get a two year degree. Learn a skill. That sort of thing.

Awww, job interviews are hard. They always ask questions like that, and I think it's silly. I'm sure you did well, though. ^_____^

It's over for now. Have some tea. Relax. Don't worry about it excessively.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all about half right (a third right? Well, there were three of you..). The programs themselves tend to be Technical Colleges (not really universities, but they take the name), but some programs exist outside of that model. Anyhow, I was using "secondary school" in the European manner, since I was talking to Nem. ^^; I tend to switch terms for the listener's locale, where I know them. Old habits from Communication courses.

Regarding interviews: It's a bit late now, but the shelves thing would have actually been kind of cool to me. I don't know what you were applying for, though, so honestly I can't say whether it would have been appropriate or not. Still, the reason you gave would have been very nice to hear. "It was the first thing that I planned, built, and used myself; and that gave me a good feeling" basically equates to "I'm a go-getter that understands what needs done, and enjoy accomplishing useful tasks."

Awkward conversations? I love them. I love blowing people's minds when they try to make awkward conversation, drop some really deep sounding philosophy on them or something. Open up their head and let them wander around the rest of the day wondering if every normal conversation they'll have has just become the trivial one.

I'm odd that way.

Today I wrote a brief commentary on "Mechanical" versus "Social" limitations. I'll post it up... er... somewhere.

I'm in a quirky mood today.

Edit to avoid Double Post:

Watched the Presidential Debate tonight. ...that was... depressing.

For Nem: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/million+maple+syrup+stolen+Quebec+recovered/7336807/story.html

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem, if this was your first interview, then it's okay that you were nervous. Now that you've done it, you know what to expect, and can work around the nerves. The more you do it, the better you'll get.

Nem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, you always seem to have a nice sunny outlook on this kind of stuff ^___^

If I could bottle it and drink it, I would! =p

Wonder whether it would taste like maple syrup.... For that matter, what does maple syrup taste like? :/ They say everything tastes like chicken, but in this case that'd be kinda disgusting....

#

Did the second interview this morning. That wasn't so bad. Fewer questions about what sort of person you are. More talking about what you've done.

Didn't get it, but it was definitely a more positive experience ^_^

#

Today the rest of Japan has united against me, since I've become Shogun. I could crush any one of their clans easily, but all of them together means that my three main armies are stuck playing catch up. Fortunately Kyoto lets you recruit a lot of troops quite quickly but I've got a war on two fronts at the moment. There's a little bit of Island on the other side of the map from Kyoto that I can't really shuffle an army over to.

Usually when you break a Clan's army in the field that's all their men, and then you just hoover up their castle towns. But since there are multiple fronts and multiple enemies, that leaves you vulnerable to people in other places....

Truly it is said: He who defends everything defends nothing.

Hopefully once I mop up the amphibious force towards the left hand side of the map I'll be able to take out the rest of that island and move the reinforcements I was gathering to have an army in the field for attack again.

Also considering switching to naginata samurai as my main skirmish unit - some of my enemies are using a lot of cavalry.

Heh =p
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
For that matter, what does maple syrup taste like? :/ They say everything tastes like chicken, but in this case that'd be kinda disgusting....

Have you never had maple syrup? It's delicious! So much so that a friend is sending me some from the UK, since I can't find it here and I need something to go with pancakes and bacon ^_^

Today I did more SCIENCE! I'm working up to the science thread, I promise, it's all just a little hectic in my world at the moment. Good hectic, but hectic none the less.

Also I start my job tomorrow. Not only is the pay fantastic and the hours flexible, but I have also managed to score a job which is relevant to my degree! Woooooooo!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popped in to say I had maple syrup on american pancakes for lunch today. ^ ^

Congratulations on the job Alli! Good luck for tomorrow.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
Just popped in to say I had maple syrup on american pancakes for lunch today. ^ ^

Further proof that any time is the right time for pancakes. *grin*

Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Alli! ^____^

Today I am struck by the reality that pancakes with maple syrup is a meal that seems to be confined to North America.

I . . . just . . . it's just one of those things that never occurred to me before. o_o;;

Today I need to watch the presidential debates. I didn't get to see them last night, need to catch up . . . Bleh. Election season. u___u
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tinu: I cannot strongly enough recommend that you use the following site as a companion to your Presidential Debate viewing: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/elections/2012/us-president/

Also, Britland isn't in North America, and she had pancakes. ...knowing how to make them from scratch, I shall take this knowledge with me anywhere in the world. I shall spread the joy of pancakes with me wherever I go! Syrup, now that's tricky.

Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
@Tinu: I cannot strongly enough recommend that you use the following site as a companion to your Presidential Debate viewing: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/elections/2012/us-president/

Also, Britland isn't in North America, and she had pancakes. ...knowing how to make them from scratch, I shall take this knowledge with me anywhere in the world. I shall spread the joy of pancakes with me wherever I go! Syrup, now that's tricky.

Too late. I already watched it and got mad. Whatever happened to common courtesy and not interrupting people? I've seen toddlers who were better behaved.

I will, however, read that because the only thing I was able to make out was bickering.

Well, yes. I noticed that. But she said "american pancakes," and I guess I never thought of them being specifically american/north american before?

. . . Though now that I think about it I remember reading a story about Paul Bunyan and the invention of pancakes.
Is it awful that I forget about the Tall Tales sometimes? Do they even still teach those in schools? o___o

I'm sorry guys I'm just having a weird disconnect with my brain lately. My Lit Crit class is literally giving me headaches and there are lots of things I can't seem to remember this week. This class broke my brain. ><;;
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 30 of 67

Jump to: