FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
Nem: I've actually converted to the Dollar Shave Club. It's pretty fantastic. (Not sure if they ship outside the US, though. Also, warning on the link - there's a video with a censored curse word.)

Dunno, I generally assume that anyone who charges in dollars only ships to the US. International shipping is horrifyingly expensive. ^^;

It's a heck of a deal anyway. I wonder how they manage it.

Tenshi wrote:
@Nem: You may have a superior product, but I refuse to yield my cartridge razor! Actually no, I've seen the type of razor pictured there, but I don't know where to buy them. They're amazingly brilliant, I just can't find them as easily as I can find a cartridge razor (and it does well enough that I don't complain). Shaving is rather a bother, actually.. particularly after I started keeping my beard neatly trimmed.

You can order, slightly more expensive (and nicer), razors of the same type off the interwebnets. Just do a search for double edge razors or safety razors. They come with different distances between the blade and the bar and in different weights so it's worth having a bit of a look into things before ordering one but.... yeah. You can order almost anything off the interwebnets.

Or there's always Mane's dealio, if that's likely to be convenient for you. =p

Today I was adding up all the things I do to look for work - which isn't hard since I store it so I've got something to refer to.... I treat job searching like a job in itself. Anyhoo, I was listening to this kid at a job centre moaning about how they expected him to do 20 things a week in order to get his benefits. >_> Nem's thoughts of this... individual... were not complimentary.

It's really hard to get jobcentre people to do anything for you, by the way. They won't do anything unless you sign on for benefits. And then you have to ask, even for the things they're meant to be doing. Did you know they have people who are meant to be looking at your CVs and stuff like that to help you out with them? Well, they do. But if you don't ask to see someone who you can talk to for advice on how to make it awesome....

Situations like that make me nervous. A loss of control and knowledge. Nem likes his control. Not like control freak control but... knowing what's going on like.

Innocent people convicted of crimes must get the same feeling, I imagine. Criminals... well they can sit there and they can plot, calculate their liabilities. Innocent people must sit there and worry about unknown liabilities.

Hmm hum.

Sometime job searching feels like a waste of time. You fire Cvs and emails off and hear nothing of them.

Today went to karate. Some of the stuff we were doing was.... over choreographed... in my opinion. The more steps you put in a drill the less worth it is. Two, maybe three moves strung together is the most Nem would consider worthwhile before you start to run into diminishing returns. Treating things purely as a drill at least.

There was a neat kata to play with though. Kinda new ways of moving, weird angles to hit at.

-vanishes off to dinner-
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother said the advice she was given was something like ten to one. Mail a hundred resumes, get ten responses, go to one interview. So yeah, you're doing the right thing by treating the job search as a job in itself.

Have a doctor's appointment in approximately three quarters of an hour. Trying to decide if this is too early to catch the bus, I think it's only a ten minute bus ride...

EDIT: *scowl* Miscalculated horribly. That ten minute ride? Took a half and hour. And the bus didn't come for 15 minutes after I expected it to. So I was really late, and the doctor had already left. Indulged in some tears of frustration, then decided to make the most of it, and bought the last of my necessary kitchen stuff: double burner electric stove, frying pans, and spatulas. I'm going back tomorrow morning, and you can bet I'm catching the bus an hour early... just to make sure. *scowl*

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa: Glad to know you've found a little bit of solid ground, at least!

Alli: I want to hear science! Yes!

Usa: Did you just quote a textbook? You did, didn't you.
It's great to hear that you're healing nicely and that school is going so well! Keep it up! =D

My knee's not terribly painful all the time, so I'll put off going to a doctor for the moment. However now both knees are acting up. Hmm.
I think I will invest in some knee-braces, though--or Ace bandages, at least. Especially considering that my park's festival is next weekend. Twelve hours each day on my feet, with no hope of a stool or counter in sight.
. . . Not looking forward to that. At all. Especially as it falls right smack-dab in the middle of midterms. *sigh*

Today I snagged another writing job from the environmental center. This one is less enjoyable than the last. A PR writer I am not.

Today I think my brain is broken.

Today has been a long day. For the past 16 hours if I have not been taking notes I have been writing articles, pretty much. Time for bed, I think.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nu: Probably the other started to hurt because you're favoring the first. Can you bring a stool with you? Or a chair? Claim medical disability. There is no way you'll be able to stand for 12 hours and not have negative consequences.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Usa: Did you just quote a textbook? You did, didn't you.

Nope. Anyway, I haven't been home in a few days and that's where my textbooks from last semester are. I had a really, really awesome prof. I wish I had been able to focus and get a better grade for his sake. (I got a 12/100 on my final.. -_- )

Nu, let me say again... a knee brace is NOT NOT NOT a permanent solution. I don't know if you're one of those anti-doctor southerners (I know a few), but please allow me to reiterate that you very likely will not be "just fine". If the problem has persisted this long without improvement, then you have no logical basis for saying that this trend will suddenly change.

Take care of yourself.

Even if that means asking some guy in a white coat with a stethoscope to do it for you. Because it probably will. :p

Today, not much. Added a friend to Facebook yesterday. She was, at first, just a barista at Starbucks who knew my two preferences. This semester we have a class together, by chance. Anyway, she's studying German, which I don't know very well at all. The ex wife spoke it, so it's not been an appealing endeavor! :p

Anyway, so when her most recent Facebook status turned into a conversation in German, I felt like the lone yank in a deep south church. (For those non-southern US people, replace these values with any disparate cultures.) I was a part of the conversation at first, in English, and now I'm just like "Tu parles Francais?"

Edit:

This is your knee. Well, not your knee, but you know what I mean. Anyway, the top left image is from front on, with the kneecap (patella) removed. As you can see just by looking at it and reading some names, there are a LOT of ligaments and tendons in the area.. If any of them have been aggravated, then there's a few specific ways to take care of them. However, if resting them to let them heal alone has not fixed it before, you may have a more serious, more chronic condition. I still recommend you see a GP about it.. :\

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa: There's a strict "no-sitting down" policy. No leaning on counters, either. One of my supervisors actually got knee surgery a while back and they didn't cut her any slack, either. There was a stool, once upon a time, but it's been removed.

Usa: I am not "anti-doctor," I just happen to not be very fond of them. I'd like to go have it looked at, at least. However, I'm not going to be able to do anything until my brother and sister-in-law leave. Short on cash, and all that.
My mother insists that I can fix this my losing weight. Which is a good long-term solution, I agree. But it's not going to help anything if something's already broken. There's also the fact that you need to have knees in good working order for the vast majority of contraptions in a gym.

Bluuuuh. One more week, then we'll have some spare change for me to go get it checked out, maybe. Midterms will be over and I can hit the pool.
I just have to survive the festival next weekend. Going to invest in ace bandages and some ice packs. I saw some specifically designed for knees, the other day.

Today I skipped class. I have written three articles--two of which I finished and turned in, an essay, a few poems, and consolidated a portfolio.

That doesn't sound like much, for a full day's work. But I still feel accomplished. My road is clear to spend the next week writing my essay for Literary Criticism.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dear [Name removed],

I am writing to apply for your recently advertised vacancy for a [Logistics clerk] in [Place removed]. I am interested in this vacancy because MONEY HELLO (also I plan obsessively and spent like hundreds of hours writing guides on strategy games so ... yeah.) I believe I would be suited to this role because I played many games of transport tycoon when I was younger and can use an excel spreadsheet. (Seriously, how difficult can it be?) Unless there is some esoteric requirement for advanced mathematics, chances are the job could be done by a well trained monkey.

Yours Sincerely

Yada yada.

Okay, so I didn't send it. But covering letters. Seriously? Why do you think you would be suitable for this job.... Why are you interested in this job?.....

Every now and then my brain just... blue screens in this regard.

Dear $name

I am writing to apply for your recently advertised $vacancy. I believe I would be suitable for this role because $relevant_attributes.

>_>

I know, I know. It's just the way the game is played. ^^;

Today I'm just generally tired. Want to get into bed and go back to sleep, but I've got stuff to do. And if you start compromising, it's easy to go downhill from there.

Edit: Well, that's all the stuff I promised myself I'd do today in that regard done @_@

Asa wrote:
My mother said the advice she was given was something like ten to one. Mail a hundred resumes, get ten responses, go to one interview. So yeah, you're doing the right thing by treating the job search as a job in itself.

Numbers! *likes numbers with this sort of thing* Thanks Asa. ^_^

Hmm, cup of tea time I think - then read a bit of that incredibly dry history book to send us off to bed =p
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nem: Transport Tycoon, you say? Have you looked into OpenTTD? The little guy is addicted to it (that and Minecraft), and my brother and I play it too. Also, were I a hiring director, I'd adore that cover letter. I imagine that's why I'm not a hiring director.

@Tinu: Actually, you'd be amazed how well losing weight can work for increasing overall health... But I agree, it's a long term solution, and your concerns are rather more short term.

Today I had a Gir moment and went out for tacos. ...that's about it actually. Lots of coursework, some reading, and tacos.

If you haven't heard of Gir, I recommend you YouTube "Invader Zim Gir Taco" and see some magic.

Oh! My compression leggings came in. They're the sort that all those athletes wear. I'm going to get a pair of school color ("kelly green" and white) athletic shorts and probably just wear t-shirts. Athletic Center, here I come! I'm eager to start kicking my own butt, work my way into a new wardrobe. Wink

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*briefly de-lurks*

Gir is awesome; that is all.

Today I briefly de-lurked.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
@Nem: Transport Tycoon, you say? Have you looked into OpenTTD? The little guy is addicted to it (that and Minecraft), and my brother and I play it too. Also, were I a hiring director, I'd adore that cover letter. I imagine that's why I'm not a hiring director.

I hadn't, no. It certainly looks very Transport Tycoon-ish. =p

God it's been ages since I've played that sort of thing. I think it was back on the Amiga. Certainly looking at games there are a few things that you miss that we tend to have now - zoom and the like.

Aww man, all the little buildings - it's like when Sim City was still all....

Heh ^_^;

There was another one too wasn't there - industry giant or something.

Tenshi wrote:
If you haven't heard of Gir, I recommend you YouTube "Invader Zim Gir Taco" and see some magic.

No more sugar for that robot.

#

Today I discovered that my mother didn't know about the coup preceding the fall of the USSR. >_> She lived through it. I'm not sure I can be related to her anymore =p

It's, really incredible to me that she wouldn't remember it. Speeches given from the top of tanks rolling through the streets of Moscow. I suppose the fall of the Berlin wall's more photogenic in some respects but....

Really incredible. I wonder how long it will be until people don't remember living through 9/11 or the like. You know - how quickly history dies off. Reading stuff about the Opium wars again recently - went from Opium is a sign of the yellow man's weakness, to Opium is a sign of the yellow menace in the space of 50 years or so. Such short periods of time.

And people forget, or don't notice in the first place, I guess. Just, really odd how this stuff takes place.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
I wonder how long it will be until people don't remember living through 9/11 or the like. You know - how quickly history dies off.

Well, this year's crop of 6th graders don't remember it. I think they'd have been babies at the time.

My mom teaches at an Elementary school full of kids whose only knowledge of 9/11 comes from history class.

I don't think that's what you mean, though. In answer to that: I know a few people who don't remember the day itself very well. It was really hard to escape here, in the states, though. And has been. Since it gets brought up at least once a month.

I'd think the Afghan and Iraq war a bit more comparable? The fall of Saddam Hussein and such. I know tons of people who forget about that all the time. =/
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 9/11 my wee sister was 5 years old, so she doesn't remember much other than what she's been told. On the 7/7 attacks in London she was only 9 and last year's attacks in Norway go largely unmentioned in the rest of the world. For me these are the three largest terrorist attacks which I remember personally and I do wonder how long they'll take to fade in the wider world.
I remember 22/7 vividly because I'm here and it's discussed frequently. I went to a service unveiling a memorial to two local lads who died on Utoya a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty tough to witness. It's an odd thing to feel you're intruding on the grief of an entire nation, but it's such a private grief, and there's not many young people my age who don't know someone affected.
I know that it will be longer here before 22/7 is forgotten than anywhere else, but I also know that it will fade into services of remembrance once a year and then it will fade into the history books and one day no one will be left who was there.

Today I had a very interesting conversation with an acquaintance about mental health. Lots of it consisted of us trying to figure out where the others' privacy boundaries lay and which questions would be prying too far. It strikes me that lots of people are scared of asking questions about this kind of thing. Maybe if people were a little more open it would be easier to deal with. We would spend less time worrying about offending someone and more time actually learning and understanding the situation.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attacks in Norway are still discussed quite frequently here. It was an awful thing to have happened. I can't say how long that will consider to be the case, but I don't think people will forget it lightly. =(

Stigma associated with mental health is, I think, extremely stupid. It's not unusual, and if society as a whole stopped thinking it was we'd be a lot better off.

On a complete change of tone:

Today I woke up to discover that the latest PR story I'd written for the environmental center was published in the local paper. Excuse me while I scream for joy.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a bit quiet lately. Haven't been up to much.

I was supposed to go scuba diving last weekend. My dad and I drove to Wales and the instructors didn't arrive. We found out a couple of days later they'd had to cancel due to illness and the person who was supposed to call us forgot.

But we were already in Wales so we decided to go to the beach and the Great Orme for the day and it all turned out quite nice.

A couple of weeks ago my dad, his wife and I all went to Hadrian's Wall. I've never seen it before and I was very impressed, there were also a couple of museums and a Roman village nearby so I learned plenty. Pictures to follow.

I haven't been doing much else though, still can't find a job and I'm seriously thinking about asking for my old job back, if I have to do that it's going to kill a part of my spirit but I'm running out of options.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Nem fills out his record book for his jobseeker's thing.

[If you want any help getting a job you need to sign on for benefits or they just don't know to know.]

That said, Nem doesn't think the gov seriously expects you to seek work. There are 8 pages in this thing, each page has 7 rows.

'This - and then another 38 things there's not room to list.'

Who gets by on this stuff? I have immaculate records on my computer for the last three months. Hardcopy ought to be dead, yo'.

I pity the person who has to enter this into their system - if they do. My hand-writing is not neat - in fact it's barely legible. And it's not like they leave a place for SOC codes or anything so they could actually check up on this. Hell, you could just be making it all up. I bet people do.

Not that Nem has too much objection to their laziness. I mean... If I'm doing hundreds of job searches and applications. And they're doing like - 20 ish.... Which of us is going to get to the job first? Hmm? Their laziness is my gain. They're just less... competitive.

The really nasty part of that is that it's something I thought in uni as well, and passed up when it came to helping people with stuff because it seemed a nasty thought. Still.... Do they really deserve it? Doesn't deserve have certain implications of a malign state of mind?

I suppose you have to structure all of this within an appropriate system of trust. I mean if you had a way of recognising that you went around helping people then that'd look really good as well.

Ho hum.

Today Nem has a telephone interview lined up for tomorrow. SUPER NERVOUS.

WHERE'S THE QUICK-SAVE BUTTON?!
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 29 of 67

Jump to: