FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Current Page Discussion: Vol. III, Chapter VIII ~ Eve
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 103, 104, 105  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Honestly I can't really sympathize with Nanashi at this point, she seems to be acting like an only child who suddenly has a baby and the house and hates all the attention its getting. But she's never been a character I exactly liked so I'm probably being biased (I did like poogle stick Nanashi). She just seems too controlling and dominating and can't stand ANYTHING not going her way. She comes across as more jealous and bitter then anything D: its sad because she seemed so mature and now shes being the most immature.

XD I'm an old time lurker btw but the new pages finally prompted me to post
Sorry for so EXTREMELY slow a response D: no Internet. The reason I thought that way (and still to an extent do) is Nanashi was capable of being somewhat kind/civil towards Willow before she knew Willow was her Eve. So she is more then capable of showing discretion and concealing her true emotions for the sake of peace. Shes supposedly thousands of years old, so unlike us she SHOULD be able to (I'm not quite sure how to say this) have more control? Use more discretion in her actions and know Earthsong well enough to know how she should approach the situation. Willow is pretty much a baby, immature, insecure, and willing to push the envelope to see how much she can get away with. Its not very mature to argue with a baby or take the bait every time a baby does something silly because.. Thats what babies do! The mature thing would be to coax Willow into what she wants her to do and let her think it was her own idea. Or to try rebuilding her relationship with her not everything Willow says or wants "NO" and then pout when Earthsong does exactly what shes demonstrated she'll do (which I disagree with to an extent she should set limits). Shes too old honestly to be acting like this but if so far if Willows a baby then Nanashi is doing a good job being a toddler in some aspects. That being said I hope I don't sound angry because I'm not lol sometimes it seems like that online, also keep up the good work lady!

In regard to mondays page I wonder why Nanashi doesn't want him to probe deeper? This could be something seriously dangerous, or important wonder why they have to rush off so fast D: ?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
I spent last evening rereading volumes one and two, and I think we're doing Nan a disservice by calling her immature. She started off the arc being kind to Willow, and she's spent the whole arc trying to protect her. It's only when Willow began flouting Nanashi and causing unneeded problems that Nan's attitude soured. Nanashi's Head of Security, and Willow is a huge security breach, and now a liability as well. Willow is being immature, and Nan could be controlling her reaction better, but Nanashi is coming from a place of concern for Earthsong, not childish foot-stomping. The problem is that Earthsong is no longer listening to Nanshi's concerns, and Willow is undermining her authority without knowing what she's doing (or perhaps even knowingly, but unaware of the consequences).

So I do sympathize with Nanashi, more than I do with Willow. I agree with her concerns, but she could definitely do a better job expressing them.
I reread them too and thats what made me think she wasn't being ENTIRELY immature/jealous but shes still being very immature. As head of security she should know how dangerous the situation is between them and work to rectify it, not continuously aggravate it. Yelling at Willow and telling her NO all the time will only alienate her from Earthsong and make Willow more bold in her foolish decisions. Its like you're trying to put out an electric fire, if you pour water on it and it doesn't go out will you keep putting water on it or will to try to figure out what will stop it before it burns your house down? I don't think shes horrible and awful shes just wasn't thinking clearly (she seems to be reasoning within her self now) really the main one at fault is Earthsong. Willows just a baby and its the parents responsibility to teach and train their children, show them right from wrong, and set limitations and boundaries! Shes not helping Willow by blindly jumping to her aid and disagreeing with Nanashi in front of her. I know shes excited but don't forget about everyone/everything else that should matter too. /end rant XDD
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxcine99 wrote:
Its like you're trying to put out an electric fire, if you pour water on it and it doesn't go out will you keep putting water on it or will to try to figure out what will stop it before it burns your house down?

This analogy, and your argument, relies on the person knowing the situation well enough to identify the problem. Yes - if you know what's wrong, you should be able to make the right decisions. But I don't think they've encountered this before. If they don't know it's an electrical fire, they won't know that water will only make it worse. Also, it's quite possibly that Nan hasn't had to deal with emotions like this before. She might not realize how out of control she is, or know how to fix it if she does realize. If you don't see there's a problem, you can't figure out how to fix it.

This goes for Earthsong too, actually. Yes, she's the parent, but she's a first time parent, and she can actually use the excuse "I didn't know I was pregnant!" She had no time to prepare, no foreknowledge. It's not like she could pick up a book about raising an Eve, and she hasn't really had a good role model. She has a child - she's ecstatic! Of course she's siding with Willow. She hasn't had time to get used to it yet, and she hasn't yet learned to balance emotion with logic.

I think all three of them are going through a steep learning curve, and it won't get better until it gets worse. It'll come to a head, someone will blow up, something will go wrong, and it will force all three of them to open their eyes and see what's happening. Until then, they'll have to make their own errors and learn from their own mistakes.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willow's more like 10-12 years old in my head, where as Nanashi's more like 50.... At least in mental ages. Nanashi I'd expect to have had to resolve conflicts before. So, that shapes a lot of how I relate them to each other. I'm inclined to allow Willow a lot more leeway for acting like a brat because... well, she sort of is a brat.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I agree with you. And Nan is a 50 year old hardened general who's used to being obeyed. Career generals who've spent the whole time in a war zone probably don't have the necessary tools to deal with bratty teenagers.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Maeniel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Willow's dream-self is her future-self yelling at Nanashi?
Asa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, that's a possibility. It'd be a shame though, for Willow to turn dark like that.

Asa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the page, though the disembodied voice threw me a little bit. and I'm confused by one bit of dialogue. "Don't tell Nanashi. Or do. But she won't approve." I can't make out what that means.

Love the incentive! I guess it's historicity I like, since I like this almost as much as I like your steampunk.

Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Don't tell Nanashi that she wants to have these visions sorted out by Spidey. Or do, but she won't approve,' is how I took it.

I'm sensing that there might be a little more to him than we suspect! Very Happy Or does Nanashi just think that his staying on Earthsong without being part of her army make him no better than Tristram?
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mane's got it Wink

Batman! Nanananananana... I spent way too much time on that piece, but I was having fun so, y'know Wink
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! That's a comma? I thought it was a period. Okay, now it makes sense. Thank you!

Asa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww... poor Spinster. He looks so crestfallen. I bet she told him to make the same thing she's already got.

And Willow... I just know she's going to do something soon, and it'll go pear-shaped.

Good luck with your move, Lady!

YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

You know, my biggest worry with the move is that when I set my computer back up that it 1) won't work anymore or 2) that my FTP log in will bork itself up due to the new IP addy and I won't be able to upload anything to the site.

Either way, I sense doom on the horizon.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPINSTER'S SOULSTONE POWER IS PARALYTIC VENOM IN HIS WEBS THAT HE CAN CHOOSE TO ACTIVATE AND HE WEAVES IT INTO ALL OF HIS CLOTHING SO HE CAN ENFORCE ORDER IN HIS ABODE AND SINCE EVERYONE ON EARTHSONG WEARS HIS CLOTHING THEY CAN'T SAY NO

*breathebreathebreathe*
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! that's awesome, Mane, I like it. ^_^

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 83 of 105

Jump to: