FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Bering RP: First Steps
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Tomato

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Bering RP: First Steps Reply with quote

The newly appointed captain of the DSS Bering took his first tentative steps inside the airlock corridor. He'd been on this ship before. Heck, he helped build it. But, he never imagined it would be his.

The sreekaanse engineer behind him seemed to be preening with pride, the finally completed installation of the sensor and comm package that had been several months delayed due to missed or delayed shipments finally went through - though not with a small amount of trouble.

Jameson Frederick Eisner turned and looked at the smallish creature. "So, she's ready then?"

"The steamship will fly now." It said, as if correcting him. Jameson found that as much time as he spent with alien species, that not knowing what gender they were - or what sort of banter that gender would consider socially appropriate was a little off-putting. He felt like he had been scolded by his mother, father, and little sister all at once.

"Is my presence further required?" It asked, craning it's neck and cocking it's head up.

"No, I think I'm ok from here." Jameson replied.

As soon as the the word "No" escaped his lips, the little alien turned and left, apparently it had better things to do.

--------

After exploring the ship for a few minutes, Jameson knew that he was in a place he could call home. The wiring was still exposed in some places, and the boiler room lacked sufficient heat-protection in a couple of key areas, but otherwise, she was ready.

Jameson checked his watch, noting that the new-hired crew should be arriving shortly. He had read all their files, and had personally approved each of them. Unfortunately, he didn't personally know any of them: but he would still enjoy meeting with them.

He headed down to the cargo bay and began taking his personal items - clothing and such - from their measured and weighed crates and carrying them back to the Captain's Lounge - his new room.

------GM------

The steamship is ready for launch. Joining members should simply just arrive as they see fit through the airlock. They can come in whatever manner they wish. Their personal items - things such as clothing, personal equipment, and other items will be stored in sealed containers in the cargo bay. Members will want to check in with Capt. Eisner before doing anything else, but generally speaking, you're free to roam around the ship and meet/greet for now. Once we have all 6 members up and ready, we'll begin settling and launching the ship. I've got our first mission planned out, and we'll be getting to that shortly - primarily depending on how soon people get signed in and ready. Please note that I'll be making a little map of how the ship is layed out soon.

I'd also like to remind people that there's NO CARRY ON LUGGAGE >:0

Hmm....

I think that's all for now. Post away!
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was strange to be boarding ship without his kit-bag. But Gibbs squared his shoulders as he walked aboard, humming the reveille under his breath. he thought that appropriate for the beginning of a new venture. It was stranger still to think that one of the last great bastions of Britain was no longer - she'd been scrapped for parts. This new ship, the Bering, felt small and cramped compared to the quarters he was used to, the whole ship was scarce bigger than one of the frigates he'd been piloting frigates on Theseus, but he was used to staying in those for long periods at a time, so he would adapt to this too.

He was wearing a casual uniform fitting for a mariner, a striped to, canvas deck-boots and a red scarf around his neck. He paused to make sure his tarred queue was neat and tidy, before meeting his new C/O... he'd have to stop thinking in those lines. He was on civvy street, and civvy street was the way the world was turning now.

Still, the first thing a mariner should do on boarding a new posting is visit the captain. So that was what he did. He knocked on the bulkhead outside the captain's lounge, and waited stiffly at ease to be allowed entry.

((I'm going for a fair smattering of traditional nautical terms for now, if that's all right - i reason that the navy in particular would be slow to adapt, and would tend to stick in its ways with terms like mariner, sailing etc etc.))
Feaelen

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli approached the entry way to her new commission. She though it strange to be the only alien on a human vessel but Brookesia said it would bring honour to the clan.

To humans not used to aliens especially the various clans of Sreekaanse Thieli may look rather strange. She's short and reptilian looking. Her skin is a dark brown to black colour with patterns of yellow dots. Given that she's a Chameleoid her skin does shift colour usually dependent on her mood. Her eyes are chameleon shaped and move independently. Both her hands and feet, which are bare, have 2 "thumbs" and 3 "fingers" and she has well muscled legs, arms and a prehensile tail.

Thieli's only item of clothing are a strange pair of short loose fitting trousers that are tied near tightly near the knees and sit low on her waist. They're strangely coloured and patterned, in a fashion that's most humans would find quite bizarre. However, when seen under UV light they match her body colouring quite well, and are the standard "uniform" of Head engineers on Brookesia's ships.

Thieli entered the ship at a brisk pace, marching strait to the Captain's lounge to introduce herself. As she rounded the corner she noticed a tall human knocking on the outside bulkhead obviously awaiting entry. She slowed her pace and stopped near enough to introduce herself, "Hello Human, I'm Thieli feae Kinyongia Karroicum, of Matron Marsabitensis feae Brookesia Karroicum's clan, and Head Engineer. You however can call me Thieli if you so choose. Are you waiting for admittance to the Captain?"

((thought i'd provide a basic description of what you're looking at, i'll have a sketch up soon))

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]

Last edited by Feaelen on Sat May 17, 2008 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jameson heard knocking at the door of his cabin, and.. a voice? Who were they talking to?

He opened the door, which was odd as he didn't remember shutting it, and peered out. An odd looking little Sreekaanse and a human seemed to be having a conversation. He recognized both of them - his Head Engineer and his Pilot.

Wearing a heavy, white, knit-wool turtlenecked sweater and his naval captain's hat, he felt more like a military commander than a civilian. Hopefully, the impression wouldn't stop at just him. Still, it was clothing was comfortable and familiar with.

"Salutations. I'm Captain Eisner," He said. "Thieli feae, and Barry I presume?"

He offered his hand to whoever would accept the gesture first.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs was about to answer the Sreekaanse, he wasn't quite sure how to approach their names, though, when the door opened. He was halfway into a salute before he caught himself, and shook his head with a wry smile.

"Gibbs, sir, Barry Gibbs," he said lowering his hand from his brow to meet the Captain's, "and I'm pleased to make your acquaintance too, Theili."
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah walked up the ramp to the cargo bay first, to check on her equipment. That was the most important thing, since she wouldn't have more than two replacements for some parts in space. Then she checked for her personal gear, then she went looking for her new Captain's rooms. Her drop-waisted skirt swished about her knees, and her modest pumps clicked quietly on the floor of the cargo bay as she headed toward the elevator. She'd looked at the layout, of course, but it never really made any sense until she wandered it herself.

In the elevator she tugged at her stylish little hat. She growled at the accessory and tried to get it to stay down, but it refused to cooperate. It didn't fit over her coiled braid, and who was she trying to impress? Fashion wouldn't have any say out in space anyway, and so she took it off with a feeling of relief. The ship was small, and the ride correspondingly short. The door pinged as it opened, and she saw two others standing at a door nearby, one shaking hands with someone else inside it, and Leah guessed that she'd just missed the introductions. Jogging the last few steps and holding her hat in one hand, she joined her fellow crew mates.

{{Blah, that was short and awkward, but I feel awkward, so it's okay.}}

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"At ease soldier, this not a federally funded mission. Gibbs you say? Gibbs it is, then." Jameson said.

"Oh wow. Three of you at once," Jameson said, still shaking Barry's hand.

He stepped from his room.

"Well then. Introductions. Welcome to the DSS Bering. I'm Captain Eisner. If you're the informal type, feel free to call me Jameson. We've got a few hours before we're scheduled to depart still. Feel free to head down to the hold and pull your stuff out of the weighed storage containers, and get settled in your rooms. You can decide amongst yourselves who gets what room, but generally speaking - the First Mate and Head Engineer get priority choice. If you have any other needs, let me know... but I imagine you want to get situated."

He turned to Leah, recognizing her as the ships doctor and chef. He extended her his hand in greeting.

"The mess... errr.. the kitchen and infirmary are stocked, but I imagine you'll want to look them over and confirm things a bit before we depart. I'm glad you're coming along. I'll be looking forward to working with you."
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah switched her hat to the other hand and shook Captain Eisner's hand. Warm and firm, he was very confident in himself and his abilities. She smiled at his slip-up and said, "Thanks for taking me on, sir, I'll look my domain over in a bit. Though hopefully, I won't see too much of you!"

She turned to the others and introduced herself, accompanied by a jaunty little bow. "Leah Gregory, medic and gourmet chef at your service!"

{{I had this whole paragraph about how aliens make Leah nervy, then I realized I have a lot more questions than I thought. Heading over to the OOC!}}

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Feaelen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((yark the things i miss being at work))

Thieli turned to the Captain as he opened the door. Her colouring changing to include some blue dots as she ignored the Captain's slight of her name, most humans wrongfully shortened Sreekaanse names to the first two wrongfully assuming that "feae" was an actual name when it's actually just a word of conjunction used to combine her given name with her clan names. She had been warned by others of her kind not to take it as an insult.

A small array of spines that usually lay flat on the crest of Thieli's skull raised in surprise as a human female emerged suddenly from the elevator and jogged towards them.

Thieli lightly stepped to the side so there would be more room as people introduced themselves and then turned to the Captain.

"It's an honour to meet you Captain Jameson Eisner, my Matron spoke highly of you."

Thieli then turned to Gibbs, "Gibbs, a good strong name. It is my hope that we will honour both our clans in serving together." and Leah, "Ahh Leah, I'll save you from my full name, I'm Th-I-ee-lee and I have heard many stories about the types of foods humans make and am eager to try them. It is my hope that I need not need to deal in your other occupation." As she spoke Thieli bowed her head slightly towards both her new crew mates.

Thieli then turned back to the Jameson, "Unless someone objects I would like the room closest to the engine room. It will make my work more efficient." Thieli punctuated that statement with a further nod of her head.

((i spelled out Thieli's name phonetically because i wanted it to look like she was saying it slowly so people would understand how to properly pronounce it))

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Asa

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah smiled at the sincerity of the short alien - Thieli, she'd have to remember. The pronunciation was a bit strange, but not unbearable. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I hope I don't bungle your name too badly." And when Thieli made her request of the Captain, Leah echoed it. "It would make my job easier as well, Captain, if I could have the room at the far end of the hall nearest the infirmary and galley. When are we leaving?" She checked herself, and blushed a bit. "Sorry, didn't mean to bombard you with questions."

{{Accent on the first syllable? I'm hearing it THI-eh-lee.}}

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs took the alien's slightly odd aphorism for a compliment. He returned it in kind. "I don't have a clan as such, but I'm sure it'll be a pleasure working with you."

He looked the new arrival up and down. She'd said she was a medic?! "pleased to make your acquaintance, Miss Gregory. I'll look forward to sampling your cooking, and hope I won't have need of you in your other capacity."

He was dubious about a female medic, and it would show on his face. It wasn't womens' work.

((This is 1923, after all - female suffrage would only have taken place about 5 years ago (well, except for the aliens...), and Gibbs has been in an entirely male-dominated profession. He's likely to have some attitudes towards women in work which might come across as very old fashioned nowadays.))
Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvy stepped through the airlock. "This is good... moving up... You'll make a great first mate, introduce yourself, be friendly... don't talk too much... Good, good." She nervously picked the dirt out from under her fingernails.

Eesh, last one to arrive. With that thought in her head, she moved up to the crowd of people casually, standing, waiting for a moment for an introduction. Ah, still on awkward introductions- she hadn't missed a thing.

"Hello," she said, stepping into the mix, "I'm Jarvy Heit." Looking to the captian, the only one she had met previously, "And you must be Capitan Jameson."

((Hehe, then you'll love a woman first mate space :D))
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Not last to arrive, sorry I'm late. Got canned at work and was job hunting, which was all-consuming))

Damien cautiously followed the woman whom had been heading for the little steamship, quiet as a mouse. It was not that he was stalking her per se, but more that introductions with strangers were not high on his list of things to do, after having gotten as lost as he was.

The conversation would be hillarious, surely. Hello, I am the man defending the vessel from any sort of hostile threats. Yes, I got so lost I could not find my own ship... Yep, that would look absolutely great...

So, as the woman entered a steamship, he continued to follow her with a small smile. Painted in bright, fresh color across the hull was the name of what he hoped would be his home for the near future, DSS Bering. Even as he entered the airlock, already the voices of the crew became audible.

Damien straighened up his posture, running his hands down the front of his white button-up shirt to smooth a few wrinkles (with little success). Pausing just within the airlock, out of sight of the rest of the crew, he frowned and shifted his legs a bit to try and shake out the kinks in the loose, comfortable pants he had worn for his trip. All in all, the outfit looked every bit of the day he'd spent in it already, and any casual observer could make the assumption that he had, in fact, arrived a day ago and had to sleep on a bench for how lost he had been.

Closing his eyes for a moment, he inhaled slowly and calmed himself. He could go on all day and stand in the airlock fussing about his hair being below his ears, or his clothing not neatly pressed. There was always the lack of identification, though that would not neccesarily make a civilian vessel's captain wary of him. Instead, he recited under his breath a few words to press him forward.

"Make use of time, let not advantage slip..."

Opening up his eyes and forming a determined, yet calm look upon his face, he nodded and stepped through the airlock and onto the vessel. As he rounded the corner, he scanned across the gathered crew with cerulean eyes...and offered a soft smile, awaiting his turn to speak.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs' jaw clenched slightly as another woman walked onto the ship. Didn't the owners know that it was bad luck to have women on board. Especially working women... What would this one be doing, he wondered.

He gave the captain time to make his introductions, before adding his own. "Pleased to meet you, Miss Heit." he said, politely, "Barry Gibbs., pilot and gunner, at your service."

Over her shoulder, he saw a final arrival. Or, it ought to be a final one, since this ship would be getting more than a little crowded, otherwise. He looked about Gibbs' age, smart and well turned out. Gibbs waited for him to introduce himself.

((I'm assuming that most won't have seen the crew makeup beforehand, and so will have to wait and see who's who when they intro themselves.))
Tomato

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jameson looked each crew member over as they came aboard, taking time to meet and shake their hands. There was a slight nagging doubt, stewing in the back of his mind, however. He felt sure that there was something he was forgetting.

Oh!

Nope, his hat was still on.

Introductions!

"Ok! So, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the DSS Bering, your new home for the next little while. I'm sure you all know by now that she's a privately owned commercial freighter-frigate, and that I'm her captain. My name's Jameson F. Eisner. I'd like to start off by saying you all were hand-picked by myself and a board of examination before being picked to come aboard. No one is here who doesn't deserve to be here, and likewise, anyone who doesn't deserve to be here won't stay. You each know your name and position, so feel free to introduce yourselves."

The captain paused, and looked around for a moment.

"Go ahead and head below deck to grab your stuff and get situated. We'll be departing in about four hours. I expect us to be ready to depart in two. If you have any questions, go ahead and ask, but I'm gonna be busy on the bridge for a few moments with some last minute preparations. So, unless anyone has anything else they need, I'll be found there."

The captain paused before heading off to give them a moment to air any questions they might have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: