FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Venting Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Author Message
Allicat



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 1390
Location: Land of the troll.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fun, although now the flat feels very empty.
_________________
He who does not eat cheese will go mad. ~ French proverb.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
My own experience in companies is that this statement is 90% false. Most of the time, the people above the action only want two things:

1) Results (good numbers, high sales, etc).
2) No Complaints (customer, federal, employee, etc)

The way that these two things get done? Generally, the higher ups are not incredibly fussy. People who are willing to succeed at those two things while adding a third ("Integrity/Honesty/Serve the Customer") are actually very rare, despite how often those buzz words like "integrity", "honest", and "service" get thrown into company slogans.


And thus did the likes of Enron come about, by insufficient fussiness.

I don't think they have a strongly expressed preference for honesty, like as not most of them just don't think about it that much, but I do think if you went up to them and asked whether they wanted you to lie in your application they'd say that they didn't.

Either that or they're all morons. I mean anyone who thinks about this sort of thing for five minutes realises that even if you want your employees to lie to other people, if they don't have a habit of honesty, they're just as likely to lie to you. Perhaps even more so, considering they've got so much to gain from you.

And, if you are going to assume that they're morons, you need to explain why the really smart people aren't running the world.

Tenshi wrote:
At the end of the day, it boils down to a simple fact: These are businesses. Businesses have, truthfully, only one goal; Making money.


If that were true, then you wouldn't be able to explain the resultant inefficiencies of the process. Managers would always listen to their subordinates helpful comments, those higher up the chain would always react quickly to market forces, regardless of their own individual ideologies....

I'd hesitate to call companies a legal fiction, as Tyris, because they undeniably have group-norms. However, if they're generalisations over the goals of their components, making the most money for the company, even if it's the most strongly expressed goal (and it may not be,) is going to be just one priority among many.

I guess my point here is that, if companies are just concerned with making money, it's hard to explain why they're so bad at it.
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My turn! Heh.

I'm very frustrated. My ex-wife sent me an email saying that she had lost her job, and that she was going to move everyone to Washington state (which is the opposite side of the country from me) for the "emotional, mental, and physical" well being of her family. I'm not entirely sure how moving to a state that has an incredibly high cost of living is supposed to help when you have no source of income and no savings, but maybe I'm just not thinking it through. What makes this frustrating is that she's moving my son to Washington state. This means that the times we're supposed to transfer him here, the times I'm supposed to see my son, are going to be very difficult to manage. Very difficult.

I'm also very frustrated with feeling pretty healthy but still not allowing myself to actually return to full physical function. I know that my back is healing, I know that I need to give it more time, but I am really not good at feeling great and acting differently. I want to be out there, exercising. Not... walking carefully and avoiding lifting objects. *sigh*

Also regarding medical stuff, I got a call back from my doctor's office. Apparently they want me to come back in tomorrow to discuss the results of my bloodwork (two days prior). All she would tell me on the phone is that it had to do with my liver enzymes, which seems... yaknow... kind of important.

On top of all of this, one of the two local friends I have is not-so-subtly hinting that she would like me to replace her recent ex. If I'm honest, I'm not really ready to enter into another relationship. I don't even know how to have a casual relationship, I don't think. @__@ And I really don't foresee myself having a long term future trying to cohabitate with the woman. She's a nice girl, don't get me wrong. She's a wonderful friend, and I enjoy her company a great deal, but I just... don't... really like her in that way.

All within the past five days. My immediate response to every one of these things is "First world problems", though. >_>
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Asa



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 3538
Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so totally NOT 'first world problems'. So totally NOT!

First, your ex is tearing your family apart, keeping your from someone you love. I don't know what you can do about that. My prayers are with you.

Second, your physical well-being is important for your future and your health, it's not something you can ignore. Take a deep breath, re-center, and you can get through the next few weeks of moving gingerly. Doctor's visit - yeah, that sounds ominous. Good luck. I hope it turns out to be less of a problem than it might be.

Third, meeting the demands of others or stepping up to responsibilities you know aren't for you - this is where you say, "I'm sorry, this isn't for me." She's a friend, but this might be a time for you to step back and give her a little space for a few days. Calm honesty might be the best bet.


Usa, 'first world problems' means not having the right kind of peanut butter in your fridge, or having to walk twenty minutes to school because the bus isn't running on time. Family, health, relationships - I think you've hit all the checkmarks for "universal basics". These are the human constants. These ARE important. Afford them respect. Don't denigrate yourself.

Any one of those might be devastating. To have them all happen within a week? I think you're entitled to a little more than frustration. I hope everything works out.
_________________
Self-styled Forum Grandmother, because I hand out nicknames and hugs whether you want them or not. ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
__________________
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this and all is mended...
Give me your hands if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have the right peanut butter in my fridge, either...

Heh, all that aside, thank you for your consideration. I suppose I'm just inured to this level of compounded difficulties. Inured, but not immune.
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are aware people used to, and in some parts of the world still do, quite happily kill over their family issues? First world problems.... Wink

Not that I'm suggesting you do, mind. I'm just saying that it's a sort of universal problem in terms of the fact people tend to find it really annoying, not that murder's necessarily an appropriate response.

Getting your health back should make a lot of this easier - at least once you can get some decent exercise. Afraid you're just gonna have to chill on that one though. Maybe catch up on the theory stuff you're missing for uni, or play video games or write a novel or something. Hope your visit goes okay.

Romance.... Ha! GOOD LUCK! =p

Nah.

IME the point of hinting is that you don't really have to put it all up - you're not putting as much on the line - if you hint and they hint that no, then you can both forget about it. It's something that can be written off as just background noise.

So, if she's hinting, you need a way to hint back in the other direction. Even if it's just slipping the info you're not really interested in a relationship, in general, into a conversation somehow.

That'd be more or less how I'd do it anyway - and if that doesn't work out you can always do it the way Asa said. You can't hint after a denial but you can deny after a hint ^^;
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
You are aware people used to, and in some parts of the world still do, quite happily kill over their family issues? First world problems.... Wink

It bears mentioning that retaining a decent lawyer and contacting this guy I know from secondary school who has ties to the nearest branch of the mafia to 'help with my problem' costs exactly the same amount of money. Isn't that interesting? O_o I mean, I'm going to go the legal route because I prefer the legal route (especially in matters of this significance), but that just seems... a bit broken.

Nem wrote:
So, if she's hinting, you need a way to hint back in the other direction. Even if it's just slipping the info you're not really interested in a relationship, in general, into a conversation somehow.

That'd be more or less how I'd do it anyway - and if that doesn't work out you can always do it the way Asa said. You can't hint after a denial but you can deny after a hint ^^;


Subtle, subtle, sneaky, sneaky! I think that's a valid way to deal with it. Will probably go that route, I think. Probably. I'm patently horrible at being sneaky about my emotions in person. I wear my mood pretty plainly, I'm told. Time to put on my James Bond persona.. *rubs hands together*
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Maeniel



Joined: 22 Mar 2008
Posts: 1081
Location: Next to Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MO for people that are interested in me is to ignore it and pretend it's not happening, or 'mistake' the flirting for platonic kindness. I suppose that all sounds a bit mean, but I think it results in less hurt feelings while retaining friendships. (Though if you're my friend, you know that I'm rather devoted to my partner...)

As for everything else... I think other people have said it more eloquently than I probably could. Hang in there!
_________________
Keeper of Zaebos' and Jormand's powers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asa



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 3538
Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, that totally works for me too, Mane. Cheerful ignorance is a really good way to keep things platonic, or at least friendly.
_________________
Self-styled Forum Grandmother, because I hand out nicknames and hugs whether you want them or not. ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
__________________
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this and all is mended...
Give me your hands if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
It bears mentioning that retaining a decent lawyer and contacting this guy I know from secondary school who has ties to the nearest branch of the mafia to 'help with my problem' costs exactly the same amount of money. Isn't that interesting? O_o I mean, I'm going to go the legal route because I prefer the legal route (especially in matters of this significance), but that just seems... a bit broken.


If it were otherwise, my good Tenshi, the only crime would be insanity. I suppose contrasted with the other fantasy-extreme that Thompson talked about - that, 'In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.'

-puffs on a pipe and looks like gandalf-

Heh, I was thinking about this just last night actually. Parking in London is really expensive - and they've started using these machines that you get a ticket from when you drive into the carpark. You pay the ticket when you leave and it lets you raise the barriers to get out again.

The obvious thing to do, said the evil-shoulder-angel, is to go back around to the front when you want to leave and get another ticket.

For some reason the evil shoulder angel got the vast library and the team of planners and so on. I'm still not sure what the good shoulder angel is meant to have got. =p
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
For some reason the evil shoulder angel got the vast library and the team of planners and so on. I'm still not sure what the good shoulder angel is meant to have got. =p


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq9Qivt6AUc

Maybe that's more for the evil shoulder angel, though... I'm a fan, either way.
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.

Coincidentally - and in a related vent - a train ticket to London from where I am is around £40 return for a single day if you want to travel before nine-ish. Which you have to do if you want to do anything important there. That's more than a pound per mile per person....

Railways are horribly mismanaged over here ever since they privatised the darn thing. And the gov wonders why people try to steer clear of public transport.

Which is especially annoying because trains should be incredibly cheap.

Mneh. It's a good thing I know people who work up there anyway so I can get dropped off at least.
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Allicat



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 1390
Location: Land of the troll.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I feel you Nem. It's roughly £80 to get to London (return) from us with a young-person discount. The British transport system is not what I want to vent about, however. What I want to vent about is the French system.

I've just got back from a ten day adventure through Europe (Germany, France and back up to the UK) and not a single train ran on time in France. In fact, some didn't run at all and we had to get a replacement bus service. I'm getting ahead of myself. The grief started when we tried to get from Lyon to Beziers on the way to Millau in the south. Apparently this is a popular trip so you have to reserve seats about three weeks in advance, but no one told us that three weeks before our trip, so when I came to do it a week before we left there were no seats left. None. Not a one. Frantic calls to the train line ensued and everyone told us there was absolutely no other way of getting to the south. No bus, no other lines, nothing. So we were stuck in Lyon with a reservation to get to Paris the next day and no way of getting to the station from which it would leave. We asked the nice train man very nicely if there was no way at all that we could get to Millau. The nice train man rescued us. There was a perfectly good alternative route which would take a bit longer but would at least get us to the south to see our friends and to catch our train. We were still stuck in Lyon for the night but a lovely couple said we could stay with them (eternally grateful doesn't cover it). Eventually we got the train and headed south, three days after we were meant to.

Then the train broke down.

Replacement buses make me sick. 'Nuff said.

In the end we got where we needed to be, but it was needlessly exhausting and majorly stressful. I'm so glad to be home!
_________________
He who does not eat cheese will go mad. ~ French proverb.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asa



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 3538
Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... scenic route? An unexpected opportunity to explore a new place? I know that probably doesn't help now, and I totally sympathize with you - I panic whenever public transportation doesn't do what it's supposed to. Tears and everything. Usually I can get myself under control relatively quickly, but there's always a touch of hyperventilation under the surface.

I do try and find a positive way to think of things, though, whenever I can. There's just no cause to make yourself miserable if there's anything at all you can do to improve your outlook, you know?
_________________
Self-styled Forum Grandmother, because I hand out nicknames and hugs whether you want them or not. ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
__________________
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this and all is mended...
Give me your hands if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nem



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
Location: England

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uck - people arguing over the Assange case on facebook <_< A perfect example of why you cannot claim to have a system based on the presumption of innocence when the first move in an investigation is to publish the accused's crimes.

See, even there it's HARD to phrase it as if the person hasn't done it. The accused's "supposed" crimes. It even sounds sarcastic when you say it. (Perhaps because the media uses that sort of arse-covering phrasing when they're expressing their strong opinions as to what actually takes place and that's what we hear now.... Regardless, moving on.)

You prejudice every possibly jury in the world, destroy the accused's reputation for all time. And all you have to do is make the accusation. That's not innocent until proven guilty. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't favour the party who makes the first move. That sort of system is strategically destabilising.

This has decided the presidency of countries, even the chairmanship of the IMF. This recently decided the presidency of France.

If you're going to have a system based on the presumption of innocence you cannot have a media circus like this. It's simply not reflected in how people work in large social groups. You should have to support your case in court to damage someone's reputation to that sort of extent.

Otherwise what you're talking about isn't justice. Or at least – no, at best – it's tainted justice.

The thing that ticks me off the most is this, “You should always believe the victim.” tosh. NO. You don't even know that they ARE the victim. You should always take the accuser seriously, you should not dismiss them as a liar. But to take the other extreme - and believe the accuser with no evidence - is nothing more than to transfer the injustice onto the other party; who may well be being victimised.

You know? People going 'Ah, I notice only men are supporting the criminal!' What a load of old cobblers.... Look: your option isn't between supporting the accused and supporting the accuser. If we're going to cast this in terms of a simple dichotomy, then your option is between supporting no-one, (justice,) and supporting one of them over the other, (injustice.)

The truth is you don't know who's telling the truth. That's what evidence is for, that's why you have a trial to begin with. If you're interested in justice, most of the time with things like this, you should just be saying, 'I don't know.'

Heh ^^;
_________________
Never forget,
We stroll along the roof of hell
Gazing at flowers.
- Issa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 16 of 23

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Elveron phpBB theme/template by Ulf Frisk and Michael Schaeffer
Copyright © Ulf Frisk, Michael Schaeffer 2004


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group