FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Problematic But Shiny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am stranded in Fargo, North Dakota.

This morning I got up in Denver, where I was visiting my parents. Dad dropped me off at the airport, and I checked in. Although my suitcase was small enough to work as a carry-on bag, I checked it anyway because it was full of books (and therefore heavy and not very squishable).

My plane was a teeny bit late departing, but no biggie. The real shocker came in Fargo, where I found that my checked bag had NOT come from Denver along with me!

Now, ordinarily this would be a minor inconvenience. A few spare sets of clothes, some books, and my toiletries kit? Yeah, I can get by without those for a day or two.

But ....

When I flew from Fargo to Denver last Wednesday, I took that bag as a carry on, and I stuck my keys into it.

The ones with my car key and my apartment key.

And I didn't think to transfer them to my backpack or pocket before flying today.

Sooooo ... I have no way to start my car. Even if I find a way to get to Grand Forks, my apartment is locked, and it's the weekend, so the management company is not in. I doubt they would be particularly happy with me anyway, since I totally forgot that rent was due Thursday and that I would be out of town.

Aaaaand ... I don't have a credit card. Just a debit card. Did you know that car rental joints will NOT rent you a car unless you have A) a major credit card, or B) proof of current address in the form of a recent utility bill? And guess how many of my current utility bills I am in the habit of carrying around on long-distance trips.

The airline is looking for it. There's another flight due in from Denver sometime tonight. But it very much looks like I'm stuck here for the moment.

Whee! Nothing like living an exciting life. ^_^

EDIT: They tell me my bag has been loaded onto the next flight from Denver, which should arrive in about half an hour. Whew! Crisis averted.

Let this be a lesson, boys and goyles -- don't put your keys in the checked luggage. :-p
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh Denver and its habit of losing bags. I hope they get it to you soon. ><;; Good luck!

Today i broke a jewelry dish that belonged to my great-grandmother. Who' was old enough to have traveled by covered wagon. Who had it for forever while she was alive--it might have belonged to her grandmother, for all I know. It was ancient. And gorgeous. And hand-painted. And impossible to replace, basically. And I broke it. My mother is very angry at me, now. *hides clutching a bottle of tacky glue while she tries to repair the damage*
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth taking to a repair shop? Get someone professional to do it, if it's that old. That sucks, Nu, I'm sorry it happened.

Fever's down, but again I was on acetaminophen, so I don't know if it's accurate. It's only been a day, anyway, so I might still be contagious, and my nose is dripping like a faucet, so I didn't go to school.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got it about as fixed as it's going to be. It's not a bad fix, honestly, since it broke pretty cleanly.

Get better, Asa!

Today I got up intending to go to church, but ended up spending all morning at the hospital instead. I saw on Facebook that my friend's mom had been taken to the hospital and was in the emergency room, getting ready to be moved to ICU. So I trucked on up there and kept my friend company and guarded the room so that she could run home for a few necessities. *sigh* The poor lady is always sick. Always. ;-;

Today I continue to try to arrange a skype call with a good friend who lives in Australia. It's a headache and a mild nightmare because she's fourteenish hours ahead and has a job--so the only times she's free to Skype is around three or fourish in the morning, my time. Which I might do, one of these days--I miss her.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I continue to contemplate the awful design of my room. Storage largely consists of three ~20*32cm (h*w) boxes stacked in holes (in a wall unit) vertically from 1.06 to 2.10m off the floor.

I've never really figured out the thinking that goes into that setup. You'd think about a meter high - i.e. just over waist level - would be the highest you'd put the majority of your storage that you wanted to get to on a regular basis. Even stuff you were hanging up you wouldn't think you'd stick much over 1.6m

You'd think it was a room designed around stuff. Like a big cupboard. However, and this is very odd, it was originally designed as a bedroom.

I just can't figure out what questions you'd have to ask - what sort of goals you'd have to have going into the thing - to end up with that as the solution.

Nem doesn't understand others very well sometimes.

Today was fairly uneventful, as you may have gathered. Wink

Still, it's nice to have down days, from time to time.

Oh yeah, heart-attack-guy is out of hospital. He had three more heart attacks while he was in there, can't recall if I mentioned that or not, but he's walking around now. Gonna be on blood-thinners for the rest of his life. Nem's reasonably glad he's not dead. ^_^
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your house, Nem? It might be that it was designed as a bedroom for a time when people didn't really have much stuff to store.

Fever's gone, cold symptoms gone, but I'm weak and lightheaded and my stomach flips whenever I get up and move around. My roommate assures me it's because I"m dehydrated... which, yes, is a possibility... Since I got sick on Friday I've eaten practically zilch and drunk less. At risk of worrying those people who worry about me, on Sunday I ate a bowl of soup and half a bag of sugared almond, and on Monday I ate a bowl of cereal and two yogurt cups. I can't remember exactly what I ate on Friday and Saturday. I drank two bottles of water over the course of those four days.

And I can't find any white cotton balls. How hard could it be, seriously?

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa. Eat. Drink. You'll never get well if you haven't got the strength to repair.

Nem, it's a possibility that your room "evolved" over time. So a cupboard here, a shelving unit there, and voila! It all adds up to really poor storage solutions. That or it was designed by someone who didn't think it through. There are so many poorly-designed things going around. Like the stoves we have at uni. Why oh WHY would you put a shiny fancy hob in student accommodation which requires a special implement to clean which is essentially a razor blade in a handle? Also why would you design something with a primary purpose of heating stuff as heat sensitive? The second you spill something or wipe it down it flashes error messages at you. I cannot stress how much the whole situation boggles my mind.

Today I spent largely waiting for the HPLC to run samples. Fortunately I can understand the need for the awkward design here, so no further ranting will happen Rolling Eyes
Today I feel the need for nice, gentle music. Classical did it for a while, but the Peer Gynt Suites foiled the calming effects. Suggestions? Not necessarily classical, but gentle and lovely would be nice.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I completed Phase 1 of my insidious plot to automate
updating the hours on the library web site. BWA HA HA!! Soon, soon I will no longer have to manually edit eight different files every time there's a holiday!!!!!1!! Twisted Evil
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I agree with Alli', Asa. You need to eat more. Or at least eat something with a significantly higher concentration of calories and associated good stuff. Confused

Talking of which I recently noticed that a 2000 callorie diet allows you around 16g of saturated fats a day while staying within the healthy eating range of things.

The house was built sometime around the second world war, I think. Though I know the room was set up this way sometime during the 90s.

#

Talks with the previous occupants seem to indicate that they're just not very bright.

Then again, like you say, we see a lot of nonsensical designs. I installed the Window 8 customer preview recently. @_@ I can't recommend it.

It seems to have been designed for... people who donít do a lot of things at more or less the same time.

#

Today I have this open in my browser.

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/46cf7ca0904a7

And no idea what I clicked on to get there O_o It's a really obscure philosophy too. So, it's not like I got there from Stanford or somewhere like that. :/

Today ended up thinking about how you'd store information in a way that would be difficult to destroy. I think the ideal thing would be artificial diamonds. But that implies a rather high level of nano-tech. =p

Hmm. Seem to remember a bunch of folks worrying about how you'd leave warnings for future people around nuclear waste sites in the event of a global catastrophe/fall of civilisation type event. Suspect that's a losing game. After all - if you were that good at preserving stuff surely you'd leave a load of scientific knowledge behind too. And then you wouldn't need to make your warning incredibly complicated.

Discouraging - perhaps easier than warning. The robotic dragons will keep people away.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, intellectually I know this. Somehow I still end up with the food-like item in my pantry being boil-in-a-minute tortellini. Roughly speaking; there are one or two other things as well. It's probably not encouraging that I could list them for you.

Anywho. It's a fast day today! So I woke up at 4 to make myself oatmeal and a couple glasses of water for breakfast. Part of it came back up shortly thereafter, but enough of it stuck so that I don't actually feel too poorly today, even though this is the day I'm not SUPPOSED to be eating. Perhaps that's why.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went to the dentist. I had to get my mouth numbed, and it remained that way for hours. I wonder if that's normal.

Today I read lots of journal articles about children on medication for my Psychology class. I am now pretty deeply disturbed.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should do what I do, Asa: Work out a couple of meals that fit your dietary requirements, cook them in bulk, freeze them and then microwave them when you need to eat.

Works fine, if you don't particularly like food anyway.

And there's always cereal for breakfast - that's fairly easy to prepare.

#

Today was unreasonably tiring, and I'm not sure whether to try the old staying up all day to renew the sleep budget strategy. It tends to be easier to move the time you wake up and have that sort of move around the time you can go to sleep - I find - but getting up is a lot easier when you have something you're aiming to do that day. Sleepy Nem lacks willpower, beds are comfortable and contain interesting dreams.

Also we're out of coffee. <_<

Pftttt -

Perhaps willpower could be replaced with Modafinil or similar in lack of caffeine.

Just really didn't feel all that 'together' today. Stupider than I normally am. Spent some time rather spaced out @_@

Maybe it's just that time of year. Weather's been rather schizophrenic. Looked out the window - saw a huge grey cloud - decided to drive rather than walk. Which retrospectively may not have been wise since I wasn't feeling as sharp as usual. But I suppose it was still probably safer than most people.

In other news, still really dislike driving in the dark.

-squints at crossing- is there someone there or not?

Let's see - what else has been a happening. Oh yeah - noticed this kid has a very tense arm when he punches. Shall have to remember to mention that to him.

You should be punching so that you wouldn't crush an eggshell in your hand - and then just at the very end, where you hit, put a bit of tension in so that you've got something hard to smack them with/get some return on. Lots faster. Can't move properly if you're too tense.

Meh - it's about four in the morning now. I'd go get something to eat, but my father will probably be up soon and he doesn't leave for work until around 8am. Don't particularly want him glaring at me while I'm moving around down there - issuing his usual dementor-style vibes.

Then again he might not get up 'till six. No telling sometimes.

Got a couple of cans of tuna up here. No can opener though. :/

Edit: Victory, got into the tuna with a chisel and a really big weight.

Nom, nom, nom ^___^
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I think I should avoid medication that induces drowsiness to help me sleep. Because the drowsy portion of it affects me all the next day--as if I hadn't had any sleep at all. If I don't take it, I don't get any sleep; but either way I end up exhausted and zoned out with no attention span. Lose-lose. Sigh.

Today my friend's mom is worse. They're moving her to a hospital in the city since she's been at the one in town for five days and they still don't know what's up.

Today I can't concentrate at all on reading journal articles for my research paper. Maybe I'll just watch movies instead. u_u
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today -- late last night really -- my Grandmother went to the hospital for emergency surgery. Things went well, and the prognosis is good; but she's almost certainly going to have to go into a nursing home now, even though she absolutely does not want to. She has some new medical requirements that she simply is not going to be able to deal with at home. It's a shame.

In happier news, today my box set of SeaLab 2021 arrived. ^__^
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry that she has to go to a nursing home...but I'm glad she's doing well! My grandma is at a similar point, after her last trip to the emergency room a few weeks ago.

Today, I'm transplanting some basil, my jade plants, and I'm planting some lavender. It sucks that I can't plant in the ground outside since I live in an apartment now, but I'm excited for what I do have! Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 99 of 100

Jump to: