FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Camera Concerns

TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Camera Concerns Reply with quote

Iíve been growing tired of the camera I have, it works just fine but my issue with it is that itís big. Itís annoying to carry around, I have to pack with it in mind and I donít like lugging it about. I find myself reluctant to take photos because my cameraís a hassle. I could put up with the size if it were a super duper fancy camera but itís pretty bog standard.

So Iíd like a new one but I want to put more thought into it this time and since I know nothing about cameras Iíd like the advice of forumites more experienced than I.

My main concern is that it be compact. Iíve looked at a few on the Jessops website but there are lots and I donít really know where to start. I did look at CSCs but theyíre expensive and Iíd like to know if theyíre worthwhile. The cameras themselves are quite small but they do have large lenses although that does seem to depend on what lens you choose (which raises another set of questions).

Or maybe Iím better off just buying a compact but if Iím going to buy a new camera I want a good one.

Thanks all

P.s. Not sure if this belongs in the arts and crafts section or if itís safe in general discussion.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't think a dragon's going to eat it if that's what you mean Wink

What do you want it to do?

Do you use a lot of different lenses on your camera? Do you do a lot of manual adjustments to the exposures/apertures or do you tend just to shoot in auto? What do you do with the images once you've got them - is the quality (i.e. jpeging artefacts) a concern to you? Do you use zoom a lot?

I'd tend to say if you don't use different lenses a CSC is just overkill. And I tend to think that people who use a lot of difference lenses like fairly precise control over the settings which is something that CSCs tend to fail at given they hide the controls away in menus.

Battery life?

And then there's the hand test of course: How do they feel in your hand? I've got fairly big mits so a CSC'd just be a pain in the neck for me ^_^ Heck DSLRs still aren't that ergonomically pleasing. Tend to end up shooting with it in the inside of my opposing elbow like an old style pistol =p

Do you really need a camera? That's another thing. If you just want something to snap the occasional shot down the pub I'd say most recent camera phones'd do. ^_^
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, all truth be told, my iPhone 4 takes better pictures than my Kodak Z812 IS. That is to say, so long as I don't intend to zoom, and am shooting off-hand, the iPhone 4 is MASSIVELY better (and shoots in HDR to boot). If I take time to set up on a tripod, properly adjust my settings and light readings, and give some solid effort then the Kodak's pictures will blow it away.

Nem is right. Do you want a point-and-shoot? As in, the type of camera that you can walk around with and take fairly solid pictures? Do you want a camera that you're capable of using for macro shots, but also walking about with? One of the most important things to consider is how steady your hands are. Mine shake. Without a tripod, my Kodak is pretty much junk. That's why I shoot 3-10 shots per picture, so that one of them is salvageable.

So, let's begin with what you want to do with it, and then go from there, yes? ^_^

(Asa and I recently went through a massively long list of non-DSLR cameras in shopping for a new one for her, so hopefully she'll weigh in on this as well.)

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
Nem is right. Do you want a point-and-shoot? As in, the type of camera that you can walk around with and take fairly solid pictures? Do you want a camera that you're capable of using for macro shots, but also walking about with? One of the most important things to consider is how steady your hands are. Mine shake. Without a tripod, my Kodak is pretty much junk. That's why I shoot 3-10 shots per picture, so that one of them is salvageable.

Something I can walk around with definitely, but I'd like something that's capable of more artistic shots as well. I'm not sure how steady my hands are but all the photos I've posted on the forum have been taken just with my hands, I don't own a tripod or anything.

I'm not too sure what I want really, maybe a point and shoot is closer to what I want but there have been times when I'd like more advanced features on my camera.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of camera do you have currently?
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the camera I have now. To be fair, calling it 'bog standard' was a bit harsh, it is a good camera. My main issue with it is the size. (Ironcially enough one of the reviews criticised it for being 'too compact')

There are a couple of other problems with it though, I'd like a camera that can take continuous photos in quick succession, this camera can apparently do that but I've never been able to make it work.

The second issue is that there's a delay between pressing the button and it actually taking the photo, which has annoyed me on many occasions.

If I could get a camera like this in a smaller size with those features I think I'd be happy.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well, anything smaller than that is probably just going to be your run of the mill digital camera. I know that Nikon makes pocket digital cameras with continuous shooting modes. The processing delay is just something you're going to have to research, though.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I actually have two cameras. The first, a Kodak EasyShare Z981, I bought almost purely for its super-macro-zoom capability (1mm!). It's an almost-DSLR in that it has PASM adjustments but stops short of actual manual control (the lack of which I constantly mourn). It has a 26x zoom, and it also has a neck strap which I use mostly for stabilization. It can also take RAWs, but those take a long time to process in-camera and I don't have the software to deal with them on the computer, so I can't say much about that.

However: The battery is super annoying. It takes four AAs, not an Li-ion battery, and the charger that comes with is a fire hazard. I went and bought a new one from Radio Shack. The Z981 is a little temperamental (macro only works on Program, not Auto) and it takes a few seconds after the picture is snapped to be ready to shoot the next one, but if you're in focus (green box) you can snap immediately. I've learned to work around this, and it's helped me choose the right moment if the action is fast. It takes a few seconds for the flash to recharge also, I've noticed. It's heavy and bulky, and might even be a little bit bigger than the one you have now, but that's okay for me - I always intended it for serious photo shooting. I make a point of not carrying it around except, basically, to weddings, flowers/nature shoots, and short touristy jaunts.

If you have a bit more money, I'd go for a bit more camera. It's just that my parents refused to let me spend more than the $500 I'd need for a good DSLR.

Then at some point I came into some money (I think I did a research group on campus) and bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20. This is my 'all-purpose' camera, a pocket point and shoot with 'intelligent auto' and great photo quality, amazing light adjustment for dark photos. It's easily packable - I carry it in my purse all day every day for shooting those random hilarious moments you wish you could capture. It turns on fast, takes a few seconds for the zoom to charge, but I don't have a problem with it. Photo quality is the same as the Z981. I like it - I used it today for my cave pictures, for example, and it worked wonderfully.

Both cameras hold several hundred pictures depending on the quality you select and the size of your memory card. On a 2G, for example, the Z981 holds almost 300 on the best 4x6 setting (awesome, when I take between 150 and 200 photos per wedding). The Lumix holds a similar amount but I can't remember an exact number.

Is that too much information...? Usa was a huge help when I was searching. ^_~

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: