FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Image Challenge 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Image Challenge 2 Reply with quote

Okay, let's try this again, this time with a somewhat less bizarre image than last time. >.>

In 250-1000 words, tell us -- what's going on in this picture? Who is that man? Who is that woman? Where are they each going? What are the circumstances here?

This one has a story attached to it, and it's better known than the last one. I'll tell you all about it once the contest is over. In the meantime, no research on the picture itself.

You have two weeks.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fair, this one's actually serious. Pooh.

Edit. I think I may have found a story!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yay! I've got an idea for this one. =)
Nem

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She loved him, she killed him. A silent moment and blood on a blade, pathetically simple in hindsight. How many years had led to this point, how many broken promises? He came home to love her, and found her on the far side of a dagger's embrace.

She turned her eyes away from him, he hugged her arm, drew what comfort he could from the warmth. The knight had come home to his beloved. The prodigal son serving in his own self-justified war. He never asked but she knew the question punctuated by each drop of cooling blood seeping from his veins.

"Crusading is a fools game my Esmeralda." He uttered into her hair. "I don't know where I should be, I gave my life to their care."

"It should have been to me, it isn't fair. Why didn't you trust me?"

"But that's the answer for every knight and his dear and always just the same. Men and beasts long for something worth fighting for, so we'll fight for whatever we can."

Before his eyes march the green fields, the windblown passages of blood battered deserts. Thousand marching on and still they come. A victim and it’s bane repeated a thousand times.

A castle pulls itself aloft from the ruinous mounds of men, the knight cast in a younger mould. Kissing sweet moments and singing fair lullabies in a voice long since old. Soft fingers whispering across velvet.

She's holding him up, his helmet is heavy and she lets it fall to crash away into the darkness. The thunderous roar of its descent on the cold stone slashes through memories of happier times. Her blue dress seems to meld into the background, the world cast in warm shadows holding up an arm as he dies on the floor.

Esmeralda is walking to the top of the tower accompanied by the whisper of her dress over the stairs. Arms spread wide she flies to the ground, racing a crimson stain into the earth with her tears.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot about this. Oops. maybe today I'll write it.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll write mine today during spanish. XD
Asa

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got mine written!!!!! Can I post it later today?

Nem, I just read yours. You're so depressing!

Allicat

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's beautiful though, slightly Romeo and Juliet and it fits with the picture well.
I think I may know who is in the picture. Hmmmm. All shall be revealed though!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put mine up later today, I just need to type it onto the computer.
Asa

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto... Right, I meant to do that now, but I don't have enough time to type it all up. It's about a page long, and I've only got a few minutes. It'll be up in a couple hours.

Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envision a Clock of Doom ticking above your heads. DOOM, I say, DOOM!!1!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doom shall not strike on me! For I am done. ^_^
Though I got a bit carried away . . .
I wonder who can guess where this little prologue comes from

"I will return." She refused to look at him or acknowledge his promise, and he felt a pang of sorrow. He did not wish to leave this way, with her angry at him, nor did he think he had the strength to do so. If he failed to return, and betrayed his tenuous promise, he did not wish for this to be the last encounter they had. He had not expected joy at the announcement of his imminent departure, but he had at least hoped for some response, sorrow perhaps, or encouragement. But instead of giving him a proper reaction, she turned her head away, fixing her gaze on the wall rather than look at the husband who might or might not be alive on the morrow. Should she feel pride at the fact that her husband was called to war? Should she be glad that he was strong enough in body and mind to be called to defend the king against a traitor? He wondered what she would think, what she would do, if he was killed. "I will return." She lifted her head at last, searching his face for any sign of doubt, and he knew that if she found any, he would not be forgiven. Perhaps though, she thought him a fool for making such an extravagant promise; for no man held sway over whom Death chose for his halls. He repeated the promise a third time, willing it to be a tangible thing, an aegis against harm. He pulled her closer, as though to enforce the fact that he, at least, was real - that he wouldn’t fade like a promise might. At last she dipped her head in acceptance, and drew him to her, an act of forgiveness, and of blessing. But what she whispered in his ear was not a farewell, but a request, as she dared not cross the line into giving an order.
"Bring me a gift from the battlefield. Bring back honor to your name, bring back additions to your lands and title, or do not return at all." She released him and proceeded up the stair. As she passed, he could see the giddy, mad gleam in her eye that had been hidden from him before.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I like it Tinu. 'Or do not return at all' a 'mad gleam' very Macbeth.

Clock of doom Asa. Wink

Asa wrote:
Nem, I just read yours. You're so depressing!

As humans I tend to think we define ourselves in terms of negation. As I see it storytelling is the art of contrasts. You can't have joy without missery. If I spoke of joy without its contrast it would evoke thoughts of day to day mediocrity as its backdrop. When you try to extend the thought of joy for any significant length of time it twists into something else. No-one really wants to read about someone playing with their puppy for an entire story. Just look at the number of books that concern adversity compared to the number of books about someone being happy. In all of these stories the true hapiness is a fleeting thing against a backdrop of trial.
It's not that hapiness has to be earned just that it cannot endure alone. Tragedy is beautiful in the contrasts it evokes for in that tragedy we see not only the pain of loss but the beauty that had to exist for that loss. So don't think of it as a sad thing that it's gone think of it as a happy thing that it was at all. Razz
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
Hehe, I like it Tinu. 'Or do not return at all' a 'mad gleam' very Macbeth.

Thanks, it's what I was going for. ^^

and I must agree with you, it's hard to notice the true depth of emotion without contrast.
Asa

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, Nem. Doesn't stop it from being true.

Nu, what I thought of when I read it was the Roman adage of Military Wives:

"Return with your shield or on it."

Today, I promise. Today I'll get it up! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: