Nem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice cream and vapid TV. That's what I'd do anyway ^^;

-shrug-
- Issa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I threw up my hands in despair when the Interlibrary Loan department threw me yet ANOTHER curve ball on the project to replace our ILL form. I was already accounting for three separate types of patrons (local, local with special "doc delivery" privileges, distance), and now they've added a FOURTH type of patron, a group of people who only show up during the summer term. Naturally, all four types just have to have SLIGHTLY different forms. I can't write just one form.

This whole project is an exercise in aggravation. It's a welter of exceptions to exceptions to edge cases that only affect .05% of the population. And don't even get me started talking about the unspeakable snarl of mutually incompatible systems that it has to be built on top of.

All I'm trying to do is make a simple form for people to request books and articles through ILL. But it's taken me three weeks of work to get even close to finishing the first stage. And now they've thrown me this new patron type. I could handle that; but they can't tell me 1) how the new patron type gets treated differently, or 2) how I can distinguish between the new patron type and the other three. How on earth am I supposed to write a form to suit their needs when I don't know what they get that's different and I can't even identify them? There may even be overlap now, with people belonging to multiple categories of patronicity (yes, I just made that word up), which makes my head hurt.

So I have walked away. I'm not doing any more work on the ILL form until they can get their act together and tell me what I need to know about the new patrons. There is zero point in doing any more work on the stupid thing if I'm just going to have to tear chunks out of it and rewrite them a week down the line. I'll go do something for one of the other departments, and they can make do with the incomprehensibly torturous form that they've got now:

So there! :-ř~~~~~~~~~~~
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tin, I hope you can stick it out and get it solved. Good luck.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of interface design: For god's sake if you're going to let me drag fifteen or twenty files around in a list DON'T have them completely cover the cursor! It makes it very hard to tell when you've got the cursor over the folder you want to drop them into!

Also it would be appreciated if you made control X cut and paste properly - rather than simply replacing the item in the original folder if after opening the folder I want to paste to I don't click inside it.

Sometimes I wonder whether people actually use the systems they create....
- Issa
Tyris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, heh, heh. Yes and no. At [company censored for obvious reasons] we've recently turned partial control of document creation / editing over to the end-users.

And they still get [rooster]ed up, just in different ways to before, because they don't think before editing or approving.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been dealing with banks. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my brother is the most irritating person I know.
Granted, some of the time it's not his fault, but still.
I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, really--he just irritates me more than anyone I've ever met.

Part of it is that he's stubborn to the point of being tyrannical. For example, he once shut off the power to the entire second floor of our house because he didn't think that my sister should be up late watching a movie.

And of course when he acts like that I get stubborn, because I refuse to be moved by threats and his petty attitude. Which is what is currently occurring--meaning my parents are furious at both of us.

Another part of it is that he's extremely petulant. He acts like a three year-old throwing a temper tantrum--except he's thirty. No job, no car . . . not even actively trying to find a job . . . not even going back to school. He just sits around. All day. And my parents coddle him, too. Which is extremely frustrating, because he's never going to do anything if they keep that up. And perhaps you could call that a little bit of envy, on my part, because if I acted the way he does to my parents or sat around like he does I would be a dead girl walking--my parents wouldn't tolerate that from me; not for an instant.

He also goes way over the line when it comes to button pushing. My sister and I have a typical bickering-sibling relationship. My brother finds something that annoys me, and then refuses to cease. Ever.

And some of this is just the frustration talking . . . but if you hear any reports of Fratricide coming from my area, you'll know what happened. >>;;
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Britland shall rant about...actually Iím not sure what the specific topic is. Racism maybe? Favouritism? I shall explain. A few weeks ago I mentioned that an internship had opened up at the museum where I volunteer; the only problem is that it is specifically aimed at Ďblack people, disabled people and ethnic minorities.í I thought I might still apply because they canít reject me on the basis that I am an able-bodied white person but my friend, who I volunteer with and is interested in the internship as well, sent an email to the woman in charge of it all enquiring over whether we could still apply and was basically told, ĎNo, donít bother.í

I canít quite explain how very angry I am. Iíve wanted to work in a museum for years, Iím studying classical studies and although that isnít directly related to working in museums it is in that general area and I could reel off endless information about the artefacts in the Mediterranean archaeology room. I volunteer at this museum so I donít think Iím any less qualified for the position than anyone else.

On top of this museum jobs are hard to come by, a lot are advertised in very small circles if at all and the ones that are advertised are usually for curator jobs that require years of experience, MAís and PHDís. This internship is a rare thing and Iím basically being told that I canít even apply for it because I am white and I donít have a disability. I donít understand how someone who is an Ďethnic minorityí is any more qualified for this job, or deserves it more, just because of their ethnicity.

Itís just so annoying to know that this is an incredibly rare opportunity that's perfect for me and thereís no point in applying.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's referred to as "Affirmative Action" over here, and it started sometime after the Civil Rights movement. Basically, after the Civil Rights movement, people still weren't treating minorities fairly, even though discrimination in the workplace was now the next closest thing to illegal--it was hard to police it in businesses, at the time. So they created Affirmative Action, which was only meant to say that they cannot deny anyone the right job or an education based on their race, physical handicaps, or gender. It sounds nice, at first, but it evolved into something else, before too long. Some places are required to have at least a certain amount of people there from a minority group, and this in turn, creates unwitting discrimination against the majority group. Over here, Affirmative Action has been up for numerous court cases, and is constantly criticized because now it creates problems like the one you're facing--someone in the sociology spectrum termed it "color-blind racism."

Granted, I have no idea if the UK has a similar system--but that's what it sounds like. It's terrible, certainly.

Anyways, just remember that, depending on your system, anyways, it's not necessarily the museum's fault. If they're required to meet an equal opportunity quota, this internship might be their way of doing that.

*hugs* I am sorry about it though.

Personally, I would say apply anyways. Over here they have a section on applications where you can politely refuse to give your ethnicity. They can't cite you for applying, at least--and perhaps they'll change their minds. It's worth a shot, at least.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If recall correctly 'positive' discrimination is illegal in the UK.
- Issa
Tyris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet, David Cameron (that's the Prime Minister, for anyone not familiar with current British politics) was captured on camera saying - publicly, at a conference, not confidentially - that (paraphrased) "it's disgraceful that Oxford University has taken on only one black student this year." Ignoring the fact he was misquoting the statistic in question, he's definitely trying to "positively discriminate" there.

So if the government does it..

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might simply be claiming that there's prejudice in the selection process that keeps black students out.

Of course it doesn't have anything to do with the previous 17 years, could it? Rolling Eyes
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say send a personal email to this woman addressing your concerns and listing your qualifications, and ask her if there's anything she or anyone else can do. As Nu said, it might not be her fault, and she might be willing to do something extra for you if you pursue it.

I agree with you, by the way. It's still racism, even if the target is white, and it's also racism if you give preferential treatment to someone based on their skin color. It's still judging based on skin or disability.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Asa has good advice, and Nem/Tinu have good statements. I can't add much to this, save to post a link to a video that I adore on the subject of racism. It pretty much sums up my views on racism.

http://youtu.be/vsEq7mBgcY0

...I could just listen to the man talk. He's also incredibly wise, though.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! YES!!

"How are we going to get rid of racism?"
"Stop talking about it."

That's exactly it, that's what I believe is the only answer to racism. If only people would listen to men like him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 4 of 23

Jump to: